• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Fuchsdh

Why help the Arbiter fight back then? To keep the "radicals" out of power would make sense. But they're the ones arming them in the first place.

ONI are a bunch of dicks who want to make sure the Elites don't threaten humanity. They're not above undercutting the rest of the Navy's goals to further their own "higher" ones.

*Spoiler tags information*

*Discusses said information without spoiler tags in the following posts*

The Thursday War's a year old and most of the info comes from Glasslands so I don't really think it needs spoiler tagging at this point.

The elites still have a big army and enough ships to put Humanity in danger
but now they are dispersed in different planets or moons (also fathers waiting for the young elites that come to war but never get a response). If one faction wins I would gather them again a becomes a big ass covenant danger again
so yeah, ONI wanted to keep them that way while they are searching and destroying their ships.

*Spoiler tags information*

*Discusses said information without spoiler tags in the following posts*

I really doubt it will be explained or get information in the games

Obscured

lore discussion

In general there are a lot of cool ideas, but I don't think it has achieved its potential. I'm glad they are trying and hope to see more attempts because I think they will get better at it. Too much has been made unnecessarily complex and then there is the issue of what part of the story should exist in which media. They should be able to exist coherently separate, but connect into a greater whole. I actually liked the forerunner books(though felt the pacing was off) and Spartan Ops(though not a fan of that name), but there is a lot of untapped potential and overall thought they felt somewhat disjointed.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
HaloGAF Customs in...

t1379811600z1.png

BaconSkittles

Neo Member
Plot
A Covenant Supercarrier is severely damaged in a battle against the UNSC. The ship retreats into Slipspace. Shortly after the Slipspace generator breaks, causing the ship to enter normal space and crash onto the human colony New Mecca. The surviving Covenant forces hold the colony hostage until their Engineers can repair their telecommunications. Once repaired the Covenant will signal for forces to come and recover them as well as glass the planet.

The UNSC quickly acts in an all out attack led by Team Cyan, a group of Class-II Spartan-IIs, and other forces as they attempt to take out the Engineers before it's too late.

Canon
The plot is being made to coincide with the established canon with little to no inconsistencies.

While most of the content will be based on existing designs, some new content that may exist already in the canon will appear. For example the Mantis is the 9th model in the HRUNTING/YGGDRASIL line by 2553. So in Second Class we will show you what we believe a previous model would look like. Remind you that the Mark I first appeared in the Halo: Legends segment "The Prototype." A weapon that will be appearing in Second Class is the M6J/C, a carbine variant of a M6 Sidearm. It exists in the Halo canon but has never seen any appearance in any of the games, comics, books, etc.

Various new assets to the UNSC and Covenant will appear in Second Class that haven't appeared in the Halo canon, but that isn't to say that they don't exist within it. I can't go into further detail other than it involves the Halo 2 version of the ODST armor.

Second Class will also provide fan-made explanations into various canonical problems that Bungie/343i have made yet have never cleared up. Similar to levihoff's "A Fistfull of Arrows." Unlike most other fan fictions it provides a story that can fit within the established canon without any retcons or canonical issues.

If you have any questions on Second Class, please feel free to ask away. I hope to have a trailer for you guys out by Spring.

Enfinit

jesus christ, for someone who is supposed to be so knowledgeable and talented with the Halo gameplay systems, this is some of the least thought through and poor gameplay Ive seen aside from my girlfriend

I've always thought Gandhi was a moron, and I still have absolutely no idea what entitles him to give critical analysis of Halo games that people should take under consideration.

I'm watching him play the campaign too, and for someone who promotes such a deep understanding of game mechanics and knows what's best for a franchise, the guy plays through a Halo campaign like a drunk fighting narcolepsy. I would bet my life savings the guy couldn't name ten characters from the Halo franchise.

Fuchsdh

"These Covenant are sellout bitches. They work with everyone they can get their hands on. First the Flood..."

Funny, sad, both.

It is interesting to see how multiplayer ability doesn't translate that well to campaign...

Tashi

Mic required? Also, what if you play like shit? Haven't really touched the game since turbo update. Been playing GTA too much, but wouldn't kind a few games with HaloGAF...

Not required but it's always nice. Doesn't matter if you suck these days.

gAg CruSh3r

Who wants to help quick test my Ricochet map for the Forge contest before HaloGAFs play date? I just need some feed back to make any adjustments to it!

IHaveIce

Banned
I've always thought Gandhi was a moron, and I still have absolutely no idea what entitles him to give critical analysis of Halo games that people should take under consideration.

I'm watching him play the campaign too, and for someone who promotes such a deep understanding of game mechanics and knows what's best for a franchise, the guy plays through a Halo campaign like a drunk fighting narcolepsy. I would bet my life savings the guy couldn't name ten characters from the Halo franchise.
YEAH it is almost like he was an MLG player who only cared for the multiplayer right? Lol

Enfinit

YEAH it is almost like he was an MLG player who only cared for the multiplayer right? Lol
Sure. But how can you claim you know what's best for a franchise when you only understand one part. It's like claiming you know how to make the best beer when all you drink is Bud Light Lime.

Nebula

absolutely not true, i have multiple friends that get Halo just for Campaign, personally, i get it for the whole experience.

CoD is MP

Battlefield is MP

Halo is Campaign and MP

In think a large percentage of the players who buy Halo complete the Campaign but I think the multiplayer made the franchise for sure.

Fuchsdh

In think a large percentage of the players who buy Halo complete the Campaign but I think the multiplayer made the franchise for sure.

I don't think that's debateable, but I'm always amazed at how many people touch the campaign but don't actually play PvP multiplayer. That's one reason that I hope they expand the co-op options and quality of the co-op experience itself (dedis!)--there's a huge market out there that doesn't see the matchmaking side, and I think that's an area where 343 can carve out a greater niche. Competition from multiplayer shooters is always going to be tough, but none of the other major franchises have actual quality campaigns (I have no idea why they even bother for CoD.)

J10

Banned
I think last we heard it was still less than half of all copies sold ever go online for multiplayer. It's not quite there yet.

I think Ellis even commented that he was surprised that the majority of people were playing SpOps solo.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I think last we heard it was still less than half of all copies sold ever go online for multiplayer. It's not quite there yet.

I think Ellis even commented that he was surprised that the majority of people were playing SpOps solo.

until they solve the co-op net code (dedicated servers?), co-op goes largely unplayed for me in the entire series.

Fuchsdh

until they solve the co-op net code (dedicated servers?), co-op goes largely unplayed for me in the entire series.

Well if there was ever a time when it could improve, it would be for Xbox One.

I'm really lucky that I've never had any major difficulties with campaign co-op, aside from some frustrating disconnects when going for "Endure". But it would be great to get more people on board by removing the networking obstacles.

jesus christ, for someone who is supposed to be so knowledgeable and talented with the Halo gameplay systems, this is some of the least thought through and poor gameplay Ive seen aside from my girlfriend
He said he's only played CE's campaign before that, I come from the camp that I'd rather see someone be bad at a game and it be funny and entertaining, than them be really good, in that case, it's boring. With the exception of Siglemic. Of course I still love watching competitive Halo, but seeing someone just fuck around in campaign, which is entertaining in its own right.

The book has been published and has been out for quite a while. No need to spoiler-tag it.

But it's because they don't know what the Sangheili are going to do. Even though they are pretty weak and have lost the majority of their power, they still have the capability to wreak havoc if they are given the opportunity.

ONI sees them as being of little gainful use to humanity, and want them destroyed - just as a precaution.

It makes sense in a twisted sort of way.

They want them to fall into a civil war and fight each other to destruction so they don't really have to allocate actual man-power beyond small arms-dealing teams.

Who the hell let you decide that? I have read the book but im willing to bet reading a Halo novel is pretty low on most peoples priority lists. Its common courtesy to take 2 seconds to add spoiler tags to something. Took me less than that to add bold tags to the sentence in your post.

Anyway GTA is pretty awesome, it has totally kept me away from Halo stuff, have I missed anything?

Who the hell let you decide that? I have read the book but im willing to bet reading a Halo novel is pretty low on most peoples priority lists. Its common courtesy to take 2 seconds to add spoiler tags to something. Took me less than that to add bold tags to the sentence in your post.

Anyway GTA is pretty awesome, it has totally kept me away from Halo stuff, have I missed anything?

No need to get hostile. Jeez.

It's been 11 months since the book was released.

Do you expect me to add spoiler tags when talking about Halo 4? In a Halo thread? How about Halo: Silentium, which came out five months after Thursday War but is talked about often enough and hasn't had spoiler tags in here for a long time?

I guess what I'm saying is, if someone cared enough about the Halo books to be bothered by background information spoilers, they should have read the book by now. A week from Wednesday is one calendar year from the Thursday War's release. Hell, it was even in Glasslands, which was released in October of 2011.

How much cushion time do you want? Am I allowed to talk about the plot details of Halo 3 yet?

No need to get hostile. Jeez.

It's been 11 months since the book was released.

Do you expect me to add spoiler tags when talking about Halo 4? In a Halo thread? How about Halo: Silentium, which came out five months after Thursday War but is talked about often enough and hasn't had spoiler tags in here for a long time?

I guess what I'm saying is, if someone cared enough about the Halo books to be bothered by background information spoilers, they should have read the book by now. A week from Wednesday is one calendar year from the Thursday War's release. Hell, it was even in Glasslands, which was released in October of 2011.

How much cushion time do you want? Am I allowed to talk about the plot details of Halo 3 yet?

I tried to avoid being overtly hostile but the authoritative tone of your post really stood out to me as just being a bit prickish:

The book has been published and has been out for quite a while. No need to spoiler-tag it.

If other people have the courtesy to spoiler tag I don't see why you would straight up state that your not going to bother spoiler tagging. I don't care if the book has been out 11 months, for a lot of people its quite hard to get hold of a Halo book and actually in a lot of places the book has been out a lot less than that. For a lot of people they have waited for the paperback ON TOP of a delayed release. I imagine people like Gui would REALLY struggle to get the books. On top of that a Halo book is going to be pretty low priority in terms of peoples to do list. Its just courteous to realise that not everyone is in a position to read it yet.

I never said you couldn't talk about it, I am just kindly asking you to stop being too lazy to take two seconds out of your time to add
to your post twice. You can copy and paste it from my post if you want. :)

This is all I have to say. Bobs stop beating my high scores in GTA mission

I didn't even know that was a thing! I have actually tried to look at the friends tab on the main menu but it never loads up for me.

I was just at a friends house now, I played a lot of Halo 3 with those guys, especially Sniper customs, I got into a police chase, turned around and first time trying sniped the heli pilot out of the chasing helicopter, the groans and "fucking too much halo" comments where amazing.

Love that game.

bobs.. FUBAR is like the nicest person in this thread lol. I don't think he meant it in the tone as you're describing, so your hostile attitude was unwarranted in the first place.

I'm only here for the Bobs' meltdown.

<3 u bobby.

Well Halo sure isn't going to entertain me.

<3 you too silent stranger.

bobs.. FUBAR is like the nicest person in this thread lol. I don't think he meant it in the tone as you're describing, so your hostile attitude was unwarranted in the first place.

FUBAR seems cool and its not a personal attack or anything, anyone who forgoes spoiler tags would get a hostile response from me, when I was reading the thread a lot it would have annoyed me to no end to walk blindly into spoilers and im just thinking of all the Halo fans who cant quite get access to the books because there are a lot.

Regardless apologies FUBAR if my hostility seemed over the top, I only wanted to be just hostile enough to show that I dislike spoilers. :p

are we really arguing semantics over spoilers that haven't been spoilers for 11 months

spoiler warning: bornstellar and librarian sacrifice themselves to didact can use the dragon balls and the chaos emeralds to defeat Mecha Gogeta Gravemind in the Battle for Middle-Earth

daedalius

are we really arguing semantics over spoilers that haven't been spoilers for 11 months

spoiler warning: bornstellar and librarian sacrifice themselves to didact can use the dragon balls and the chaos emeralds to defeat Mecha Gogeta Gravemind in the Battle for Middle-Earth

GOD YOU'RE SUCH A JERK!

Enfinit

the franchise is MP, always had been.

This is just ignorance. If Halo's story was garbage from the beginning, do you think it would've received the same popularity it has today?

Absolutely not. While MP keeps players invested in the game, the game isn't just about multiplayer. Take Halo 4, for example. Look at the drop off in player population after the first week - usually when people are done playing the campaign. Also, Halo 4 sold MILLIONS of copies, and I'd garner to say a good portion of buyers (~30-50%?) don't have Xbox Live. So what do they play? Campaign.

Back when Halo CE was released, like everyone else here, I spent hours playing it with my friends. After school, at buddy's houses, etc. However, we spent most of our time screwing around in campaign, not multiplayer. Sure, we played multiplayer just like anyone else, but we spent the most hours taking turns in campaign. The campaign of Halo made it take off, not the multiplayer.

Yea, multiplayer is important, and to the majority of us at HaloGAF, it's the only thing we care about. We're the vocal minority. But to say multiplayer is what the game is about, and "always had been", is nothing more than pure ignorance.

Well Halo sure isn't going to entertain me.

<3 you too silent stranger.

FUBAR seems cool and its not a personal attack or anything, anyone who forgoes spoiler tags would get a hostile response from me, when I was reading the thread a lot it would have annoyed me to no end to walk blindly into spoilers and im just thinking of all the Halo fans who cant quite get access to the books because there are a lot.

Regardless apologies FUBAR if my hostility seemed over the top, I only wanted to be just hostile enough to show that I dislike spoilers. :p

343 guilty spark is a bad guy

This is just ignorance. If Halo's story was garbage from the beginning, do you think it would've received the same popularity it has today?

Absolutely not. While MP keeps players invested in the game, the game isn't just about multiplayer. Take Halo 4, for example. Look at the drop off in player population after the first week - usually when people are done playing the campaign. Also, Halo 4 sold MILLIONS of copies, and I'd garner to say a good portion of buyers (~30-50%?) don't have Xbox Live. So what do they play? Campaign.

Back when Halo CE was released, like everyone else here, I spent hours playing it with my friends. After school, at buddy's houses, etc. However, we spent most of our time screwing around in campaign, not multiplayer. Sure, we played multiplayer just like anyone else, but we spent the most hours taking turns in campaign. The campaign of Halo made it take off, not the multiplayer.

Yea, multiplayer is important, and to the majority of us at HaloGAF, it's the only thing we care about. We're the vocal minority. But to say multiplayer is what the game is about, and "always had been", is nothing more than pure ignorance.

Agreed, multiplayer in Halo 1 was more of an afterthought. It's always struck me that Halo's always been about the campaign, at least to reviewers, or at least as equally important to the multiplayer. Halo's campaign's have always been at least, pretty good, even Halo 4's I enjoyed for the most part. Multiplayer is a different question, and is, obviously subjective, along with the campaign.

343 guilty spark is a bad guy

come on, man, I haven't gotten around to play Halo: CE yet!

:lol

Tashi

What was that stat about Halo 3? Something like 75% of the people who bought the game never signed onto XBL with it

Top Bottom