• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Woorloog

Banned
Okay, i'm not a god with Gauss Gun.

Halo 3 Grenades were wonderful tactical shield-stripping tools. Best ones in the series. Wouldn't work with faster movement though, i'll give them that.

Fuchsdh

Halo 3 Grenades were wonderful tactical shield-stripping tools. Best ones in the series. Wouldn't work with faster movement though, i'll give them that.

I dunno which grenades I ultimately prefer. Halo 1 was largely a chucking act, Halo Reach they were devasting bombs of inescapable wrath. I don't get a huge amount of kills with grenades in Halo 4 but I feel like given the higher speed, sprint, and the addition of hitmarkers that make tactical/explorational 'nade throws more useful that it strikes the right balance; I think only carrying 2 of each type is fine too, but I do like being able to grab them off the ground and think that should return to being a default ability.

(On a side note, I really like hitmarkers. Combine it with better visual feedback on the player models too and I'd be happier.)

Woorloog

Banned
Storm, in-case my browser ate my reply, i'm not normally a good warthog driver. Okay, yes, but not good. Don't trust me not to flip in the first jump or whatever.

EDIT and if you actually have headset, it would be wonderful if you'd use it. If others bother you, we can always use party chat. Next week should be better if Nebula can finally use mike.

EDIT and PSA: don't drink a glass of milk after a glass of Mountain Dew. Their combined tastes are horrible.

Gauss Gunner is definitely more difficult to use after the update.
I dunno which grenades I ultimately prefer. Halo 1 was largely a chucking act
This is because they let you carry 4 Frags and 4 Plasmas while having the map pickups grouped in 4's --> too many grenades.
I think only carrying 2 of each type is fine too, but I do like being able to grab them off the ground and think that should return to being a default ability.
And this is exactly how you'd balance the Halo CE grenades, by not allowing 4 of each type lol. Why do they have to be weak when they functioned fine given the settings (movement, jump height, strafe, fuse time, carrying capacity, bounciness, etc.)?
(On a side note, I really like hitmarkers. Combine it with better visual feedback on the player models too and I'd be happier.)
Hit markers are lame IMO because they give away positions on top of the over-powered motion tracker we have.

EDIT:
Halo 2 and 3 probably had the best grenades, but I prefer 3 over 2 because of how they threw. 3 had the most comfortable grenade throwing I thought.

1's aren't horrible in the least. Just different.
Grenade throwing was way more fun when it wasn't momentum/movement based, similar to CE and Murder Miners. Our Spartans used to throw BULLETS with high accuracy. Now we have to do an annoying little shuffle/stutter step to get any sort of distance on our throws.. Sucks if you have limited space ;\

Chettlar

Banned

Halo 2 and 3 probably had the best grenades, but I prefer 3 over 2 because of how they threw. 3 had the most comfortable grenade throwing I thought.

1's aren't horrible in the least. Just different.

Woorloog

Banned
Who designed those frigging commendations? It takes like years of playing to get Ordnance mastery stances... Gah, i'll never get a good looking stance. Recruit it is.
EDIT actually, Breach is the only decent looking one. And it takes the most time, even if you're lucky.

Chettlar

Banned
This is because they let you carry 4 Frags and 4 Plasmas while having the map pickups grouped in 4's --> too many grenades.

See, but in Campaign having 4 of each was really valuable. Transitioning back to Halo 3 after finishing Halo 2's Legendary campaign (Yay! I finished it!), I kept being like "Man, I'm outta grenades again." Felt restrictive, especially since, while you could still potentially carry 8 at a time like in CE and 2, fire grenades pretty much never showed up, so you were stuck with 6 if you were lucky. I preferred being able to store the kinds of grenades I wanted.

Would have been nice if you could potentially have 4 in each slot again, but you could only hold a maximum of 8. (So if I've got 4 plasma, 2 frag, and 2 spike, I'm full. I could also have 3 plasma, 1 frag, and 4 spike and be full.)

Make sense? Just trying to avoid the whole restriction thing.

EDIT: in multplayer yeah 8 grenades is just way too much. Mainly talking about campaign here.

Mistel

Banned
Good grief btb has devolved into jetpackers with automatic weapons, sigh... Why did anyone thinking 3 saws on a single team was fair I'll never know. These games have been awful so far...

Fuchsdh

Who designed those frigging commendations? It takes like years of playing to get Ordnance mastery stances... Gah, i'll never get a good looking stance. Recruit it is.
EDIT actually, Breach is the only decent looking one. And it takes the most time, even if you're lucky.

All the DLC stances are pretty good too.

Hit markers are lame IMO because they give away positions on top of the over-powered motion tracker we have.

I want the motion tracker to go back to Reach's functionality, personally. Halo 4's is less easy to read elevations to me (I've heard people say the opposite), and I don't like the vehicle outlines either aesthetically or in terms of making it way too easy to set up a trap for the vehicles.

Nebula

All the DLC stances are pretty good too.

I want the motion tracker to go back to Reach's functionality, personally. Halo 4's is less easy to read elevations to me (I've heard people say the opposite), and I don't like the vehicle outlines either aesthetically or in terms of making it way too easy to set up a trap for the vehicles.

The radar addition of vehicle shapes is bad. If you can't tell that a vehicle is approaching you by seeing it or hearing it, you may want to consult a doctor.

Mabef

Banned
My girlfriend got a kinect recently and we've been looking for stuff to do with it. I wish H4 would track your body movements to your baseball card, and let everyone dance around while waiting for the next match
I'm available for interviews

See, but in Campaign having 4 of each was really valuable. Transitioning back to Halo 3 after finishing Halo 2's Legendary campaign (Yay! I finished it!), I kept being like "Man, I'm outta grenades again." Felt restrictive, especially since, while you could still potentially carry 8 at a time like in CE and 2, fire grenades pretty much never showed up, so you were stuck with 6 if you were lucky. I preferred being able to store the kinds of grenades I wanted.

Would have been nice if you could potentially have 4 in each slot again, but you could only hold a maximum of 8. (So if I've got 4 plasma, 2 frag, and 2 spike, I'm full. I could also have 3 plasma, 1 frag, and 4 spike and be full.)

Make sense? Just trying to avoid the whole restriction thing.

EDIT: in multplayer yeah 8 grenades is just way too much. Mainly talking about campaign here.
Easy solution: Only allow 2 for Campaign too.

Better solution: We're not babies, so if they let you carry 4 in Campaign and 2 in Multiplayer for gameplay design purposes, deal with it. That took you what, a game or two to get used to? Sorry if that sounds rude btw, something something text on a forum something something lol
Yup, definitely too easy to set up anything with Halo 4's motion tracker lol. I agree though, I too liked Reach's motion tracker better (the triangles and darker dots were better IMO, although obviously I'd rather neither).

Nebula

My girlfriend got a kinect recently and we've been looking for stuff to do with it. I wish H4 would track your body movements to your baseball card, and let everyone dance around while waiting for the next match

9.8/10 would hire.

Good games today, I'll probably not be on tomorrow as I'm working a 10 hour shift. Maybe Sunday.

Woorloog

Banned

Dance? Do you know what people would actually do?
Don't give MS ideas regarding Kinect.

Chettlar

Banned

I've thought of this before as well. Would make things a lot more unique. I'd love it.

More importantly, it's a cool new feature that Kinect can provide without being overbearing. Completely unnecessary, but cool enough that people would certainly try it.

Chettlar

Banned
Easy solution: Only allow 2 for Campaign too.

Better solution: We're not babies, so if they let you carry 4 in Campaign and 2 in Multiplayer for gameplay design purposes, deal with it. That took you what, a game or two to get used to? Sorry if that sounds rude btw, something something text on a forum something something lol.

Huh? I was suggesting more grenades in campaign and less in multiplier. Playing in Rat Race CTF with 16 v 16, no shields, and everybody with 8 grenades is just ludicrous.

Halo 2 and 3 Multiplayer let you carry 8 grenades at a time (technically, anyway. In most maps in 3 it's essentially only 4 because fire grenades are practically nonexistant and rarely do you get frags and plasmas and spikes all on the same map, but whatever). It's the same in Campaign.

I'm saying have CE/2's 8 grenades (total) at a time in Campaign. It worked really well for that. Assault Rifle, pistol, frag, plasma combo just plain worked in CE. It just worked. I still couldn't abuse the amount of grenades I had, but at the same time, I wasn't restricted either.

In multiplayer, I thought Halo 3's (and Reach's and 4's) amount of grenades worked really well. So do that.

8 total in campaign and 4 total in multiplayer. You didn't mean 4 total in campaign and 2 total in multi did you? 2 at a time is waaay restrictive.

Woorloog

Banned
FUCK. THIS. GAME.
I can be killed from inside a Banshee without the vehicle getting destroyed? The fuck?

And Longbow, the map would be good if the blue team didn't have better base. Seriously, make them equal! Maps should be either symmetrical or asymmetrical, no "slight differences" symmetrical.

And... FUYASDFJLSDFLJADFLJL (<--this represents rage)

I was commenting on that little issue of transitioning between Campaign and Multiplayer and getting used to different grenade counts.

And to answer your question: 2 of each grenade type is what I'd want, Campaign or Multiplayer. I should note that I'd like to have more than just Frags and Plasmas (RIP Spikes and Incendiaries).

EDIT:
Off-topic: I've got my Chroma Alpha Code.

PM for who wants it!

Edit: Funknown gots it! =)
OLIVE JUICE! /hyped

Thanks breh B]

Chettlar

Banned
I was commenting on that little issue of transitioning between Campaign and Multiplayer and getting used to different grenade counts.

And to answer your question: 2 of each grenade type is what I'd want, Campaign or Multiplayer.

Ok, I get what you're saying. So you're wanting 4 total for both, specifically 2 of each kind.

So when you said 4 in campaign and 2 in multi, total you mean 8 and 4? In that case yes, that's what I was originally saying.

The main reason for reducing the grenade count in multi would be to cut down on the potential chaos. Same reason in campaign you can pick up a rocket launcher and have 6 shells in your pocket but in multi you'll never have more than 4 shells at a time total.

Plus you could be all something something Spartan 4's don't care as much something something lighter and more agile than the Chief something something so Chief can hold 8 but they can't something something.

Woorloog

Banned
Thinking here how ironic it is i can be often seemingly anti-competitive poster... i'm actually rather competitive, if i let myself to be. And if i do, that usually includes rage. Nebula and Stormtrooper, you are/were better off without headsets, if i had had one too, i would be raging all the time today.
Too much Halo.
Here's how this works for me: Don't play anything, start wanting to play Halo. Play Halo. Play too much Halo. Rage. Quit playing/Live runs out. Don't play Halo. Start craving some Halo later on. Repeat.

Mistel

Banned
FUCK. THIS. GAME.
I can be killed from inside a Banshee without the vehicle getting destroyed? The fuck?
Welcome to the confusing world of halo 4 vehicles, btb is starting to get unbearable with ordinance and generally awful matches.

Don't ask questions you don't want an answer to...

Woorloog

Banned
Welcome to the confusing world of halo 4 vehicles, btb is starting to get unbearable with ordinance and generally awful matches.

Don't ask questions you don't want an answer to...

Perhaps i've played too much Halo 4 today. Starting to get angry. No, wait, i'm angry already.
I need a punching bag or something.

EDIT and apologies for bombarding you with messages. Happens when i get angry. Can't stop complaining or writing or anything. Be glad i don't wear the headset...

Mistel

Banned
Perhaps i've played too much Halo 4 today. Starting to get angry. No, wait, i'm angry already.
I need a punching bag or something.
And you said I was the masochist, I've never really noticed until now but the gametypes I like other than btb don't actually have a play list anymore.

belushy

Banned
https://twitter.com/GH057ayame/status/442058967246577664

If only it was actually used...

Edit: @AlStrong oh they did use it? I was just assuming it was mainly there for Halo and maybe Shadowrun had the first game done better and it continued as a series. H3 has spectator mode files in it I think, as does Halo 4, so I guess I can't really say they didn't use it, just they haven't been able to really finish it.

Woorloog

Banned
And you said I was the masochist, I've never really noticed until now but the gametypes I like other than btb don't actually have a play list anymore.

You have played Halo 4 long enough for me to call you masochist.
Me, i was just getting frustrated, played too much Halo (4) for one day. There's a difference. I'm a self-proclaimed expert at moving the goalposts, if required.

What i want from a Halo BTB playlists is: Normal Team Slayer, normal CTF, Neutral Bomb, One-sided Assault. Nothing more, no KOTF, no random experimental game types, no Heavies variants, nothing else.
Team Objective list should have these minus TS, Team Slayer should have only normal TS.
Rumble Pit can have Oddball and King of the Hill in addition to FFA Slayer and Swords.
SWAT and Team Snipers (and perhaps MLG/Hardcore) can have their own lists, everything else can go to hell or be integrated in Action Sack as far as i'm concerned, or perhaps weekly/monthly/weekend special lists.
Clean and simple. And no odd modes (Legendary Slayer BR???) without an in-game easy-to-see-and-use reference chart what they're and their rules. Preferably no random crap at all.

EDIT and no Forged maps until they can be made actually good looking and don't have too homogeneous look to be easily navigable like normal maps are, and have zero frame-rate issues with 4-player splitscreen with 16 players.

EDIT if a Halo game has enough players, a mid-sized Squad Slayer/Squad Battle could be added, mix of Objective and Slayer, 6v6, with perhaps less vehicles in bigger maps compared to BTB (ie if an average BTB map has 4 vehicles per side, or 4 active slots in vehicles (such has 2 Ghosts (1 crew each) and a Warthog (2 crew)), Squad Battle would have only up to 3 or 2 slots).

EDIT When it comes to Halo 4, i really hope they'd ditch either Infinity Slayer or Team Slayer. Keep one mode (preferably TS), no need for both. I was totally confused when i started Halo 4 again, like "what's the fucking difference? Where i can see that without playing?".

EDIT And ditch radar across all standard game modes, minus specialty lists (like Griffball, Zombies, enable or disable as it suits the modes best). Perhaps FFA can keep it, others should get rid of it.

Woorloog

Banned
Going through Art of Halo 4.
Some notes:
-Forward Unto Dawn, page 122: "The initial ship in Halo 3 felt like an aggregation of boxes, and we wanted to make it look more like a single object. Even if it was different, we wanted it to be identified as the Forward Unto Dawn while still making it a different vessel". I'm okay with visual "rebooting", but the FUD is the only thing in Halo 4 they should not have touched IMO. The end result doesn't look at all like the FUD in Halo 3.
-Page 112 has Warthog body concepts. Some of them look quite neat IMO. Not exactly like the Warthog of Halos has been but kind of cool. I wouldn't have minded seeing one of them in Halo 4 instead of what we got, i think the Warthog doesn't look that good in Halo 4, specifically the guns.
-Page 106 has SMG concept. Presumably the weapon was going to be in the game at one point. Pointless, of course.
-Pages 84-85 have a beautiful Master Chief concept art, with very cool rounded Mjolnir armor. Would have loved to see it as the final armor.
-Pages 190-191 have armor concepts, Air Assault variant features robotic right arm. The armors also manage to look more distinct in concept art than in-game, IMO.
-Page 157 has Boltshot concept with blue energy. Cool.
-Page 114 has Mantis concepts. Every single one looks equally bad. Mechs do not fit UNSC. If they have to have a mech, give us Halo Wars Cyclops, it is at least based of Mjolnir Mark III...
-Page 115 has UNSC drop pod concept. For ODSTs or someone else?
-Page 99 has Armor Ability silhouette concepts. AA's being practically indistinguishable before actual use is a problem IMO, and the main reason they should be ditched. Arguably Halo 3 equipment had the same problem... but its not like we see what grenades others have so... And the equipment could be made visible on left thigh, unlike Armor Abilities.

Mistel

Banned
You have played Halo 4 long enough for me to call you masochist.
Getting any form of masochistic pleasure from 4 would make me a very pathetic masochist. Not to my tastes at all.

EDIT And ditch radar across all standard game modes, minus specialty lists (like Griffball, Zombies, enable or disable as it suits the modes best). Perhaps FFA can keep it, others should get rid of it.
Maybe tone it down bit but removing it across the board is an odd thing to want.

What i want from a Halo BTB playlists is: Normal Team Slayer, normal CTF, Neutral Bomb, One-sided Assault. Nothing more, no KOTF, no random experimental game types, no Heavies variants, nothing else.
What's wrong with heavies and king of the hill in big team? Variety never hurts, plus in 4 heavies is better than infinity and far much more fun.

Chettlar

Banned
Going through Art of Halo 4.
Some notes:
-Forward Unto Dawn, page 122: "The initial ship in Halo 3 felt like an aggregation of boxes, and we wanted to make it look more like a single object. Even if it was different, we wanted it to be identified as the Forward Unto Dawn while still making it a different vessel". I'm okay with visual "rebooting", but the FUD is the only thing in Halo 4 they should not have touched IMO. The end result doesn't look at all like the FUD in Halo 3.
-Page 112 has Warthog body concepts. Some of them look quite neat IMO. Not exactly like the Warthog of Halos has been but kind of cool. I wouldn't have minded seeing one of them in Halo 4 instead of what we got, i think the Warthog doesn't look that good in Halo 4, specifically the guns.
-Page 106 has SMG concept. Presumably the weapon was going to be in the game at one point. Pointless, of course.
-Pages 84-85 have a beautiful Master Chief concept art, with very cool rounded Mjolnir armor. Would have loved to see it as the final armor.
-Pages 190-191 have armor concepts, Air Assault variant features robotic right arm. The armors also manage to look more distinct in concept art than in-game, IMO.
-Page 157 has Boltshot concept with blue energy. Cool.
-Page 114 has Mantis concepts. Every single one looks equally bad. Mechs do not fit UNSC. If they have to have a mech, give us Halo Wars Cyclops, it is at least based of Mjolnir Mark III...
-Page 115 has UNSC drop pod concept. For ODSTs or someone else?
-Page 99 has Armor Ability silhouette concepts. AA's being practically indistinguishable before actual use is a problem IMO, and the main reason they should be ditched. Arguably Halo 3 equipment had the same problem... but its not like we see what grenades others have so... And the equipment could be made visible on left thigh, unlike Armor Abilities.

You couldn't possibly post pics of the Masterchief concept you liked could you? Or is that a nono?

Omni

Is there a reason why Longbow isn't in the CTF playlist? Or if it is, I never see it. Which is a shame, because I actually kinda like it

Woorloog

Banned
Maybe tone it down bit but removing it across the board is an odd thing to want.
Tashi, Unknown IXI (or whatever his username was) or many others can explain the issue with radar. I've always found Halo more fun without radar though, even without knowing why.
Some specifics: It makes situational awareness and map knowledge more important, it limits effectiveness of camping (you can't see when someone is approaching you without peeking behind a corner). Sure, lacking radar disables crouch-sneaking but since that is slow, the overall pace of game is faster, which is better (to an extent, there is such thing as too fast but Halos have never had that problem yet).

What's wrong with heavies and king of the hill in big team? Variety never hurts, plus in 4 heavies is better than infinity and far much more fun.

Heavies in Halo 3 and Reach sucked. I won't touch that gametype ever again. And despite loving vehicles in Halos in general, Halo must maintain a proper balance between vehicles and infantry. Not too many vehicles, not too heavy.

For example, a good complement of vehicles in Halo BTB might be (depending on the map of course) a pair of Ghosts, a Chopper and a Mongoose for each team, with a neutral Gauss Hog (and this might be a tad too many vehicles).
Or perhaps a Wraith and a Warthog for each team, with neutral Banshee.
In each case, the maps should have very limited number of anti-vehicle power weapons, vehicles counter themselves mostly. And controlling them is part of the map control.

Heavies has always been fucked up with too many vehicles and too heavy-weight vehicles. And way too many power weapons.

Scorpion is a no-no, no matter the mode. Hell, i hate it in the campaign. Overpowered turret with slow movement just ain't fun. The Wraith is very interesting, and practically self-balanced since it has a mortar instead of traditional cannon, and is cumbersome.

King of the Hill is a clusterfuck in BTB (in Halo PC, in Halo 3, in Halo Reach, in Halo 4. It never works in BTB). Too many players, and vehicles fuck that mode up totally. Might be okay in Team Objective, but i'm not a fan.

Variety can be a bad thing, as it is in Halo 4. I have no idea what many modes are, and they're not explained nowhere. And even if they were, most modes are not fun in MM, they might be great for occasional custom game but that's it, they're not worth full playlists. Add that custom game browser for crap, keep core matchmaking clean and simple.
I'd rather have a strong, good core game, with many excellent maps. No need for variety of artificial rule sets, when the base game alone provides the variety (with good metagame, Halo 4 has only random meta).

Is there a reason why Longbow isn't in the CTF playlist? Or if it is, I never see it. Which is a shame, because I actually kinda like it

It is a BTB map, CTF list is, what, 4v4? The map is too big for 4v4.

EDIT and i'm trying out CoD Ghosts MP demo. Initial impression: It suffers from the same problem as Halo 4: too much random crap, it lacks the simplicity of COD4 Modern Warfare (as do other post-MW1 CODs). And unlike Halo 4, Ghosts looks like crap.
EDIT Large sandbox isn't a problem for simplicity. Random unlock systems, complex loadout options... stuff like that are a problem.

Woorloog

Banned
CTF is like 5v5 if not 6v6 (can't remember). Plus is it really that much bigger than a map like Exile? *shrugs*

Oh, right. Well. Halo 4 playlists. Is there anyone in HaloGAF who doesn't complain about them?
Hell, is there anyone who hasn't complained about Halo playlist management from Halo 3 onward...

Tawpgun

Sup guys

Anybody been keeping track of the population as of recent? Was wondering if the Xbone took a chunk out of Halo 4's population. I know that once my Titanfall Xbone comes in on tuesday im probably not touching my 360 unless its to play Dark Souls 2.

Hoping H2A comes around and/or Halo 5 delivers. But for the record, Halo 4 right now in its current state isn't too bad. Ricochet is fun as hell, and the team slayer playlist is solid as long as Infinity isn't voted.

Hope to see some of you guys on Titanfall.

Sup guys

Anybody been keeping track of the population as of recent? Was wondering if the Xbone took a chunk out of Halo 4's population. I know that once my Titanfall Xbone comes in on tuesday im probably not touching my 360 unless its to play Dark Souls 2.

Hoping H2A comes around and/or Halo 5 delivers. But for the record, Halo 4 right now in its current state isn't too bad. Ricochet is fun as hell, and the team slayer playlist is solid as long as Infinity isn't voted.

Hope to see some of you guys on Titanfall.

18,000~ is still about the average, it really hasn't been impacted by the Xbox One.

And (unsurprisingly) I highly recommend downloading KI when you get the console. Great free game to have, and my opinion of "best Xbox One title" hasn't changed even after playing the TitanFall beta.

Omni

Guyz am I Master Cheif now?!

jWz6OStl.jpg

Tawpgun

18,000~ is still about the average, it really hasn't been impacted by the Xbox One.

And (unsurprisingly) I highly recommend downloading KI when you get the console. Great free game to have, and my opinion of "best Xbox One title" hasn't changed even after playing the TitanFall beta.
Its free so I'll try it out but ive never really liked traditional fighting games.

Omni

So for the first time ever, DLC came up in matchmaking. I almost cried tears of joy

Just too bad the other side were in a party and my team got stomped hard. :mad:

Top Bottom