• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Chettlar

Banned
Ok, MS really needs to do something about Halo 4's DLC. I've got two recomendations that are mostly similar but with a slight difference:

Option 1: release the DLC maps in the slot of a game in the Games with Gold program. Instead of a game, release all the DLC for free for Gold members.

So like next month or so release Halo 4 and then 3, 4, 5 six months later release all DLC on the 1st or 16th of the month instead of a game.

Even if people miss the DLC, there will be a huge increase in the amount of people owning it, so that actually makes buying the DLC worth it.

Like seriously, if I missed the DLC being free I'd still buy it because now it'd be worth it.

Option 2: I can't remember, wasn't all the Halo 3 DLC free for a very limited time? You could do something similar with 4.

Sort of an option 3, if MS considers 4 too much of a cost to release for free, they could just release the DLC for free for like a week or something for Gold members only. Even that (without Halo 4 being free at all) would have a huge impact on how often DLC comes up in MM and is thus worth the purchase to those who might otherwise miss that.

Chettlar

Banned
Halo 3 Heroic Map Pack and Cold Storage are free.

Legendary, Mythic 1 and 2 have been discounted but never free.

I have the first two and Legendary.

I was sure they were all free for just a couple days after 3 was available. There was even a thread about "come join us for Halo 3 multiplayer." Not finding it right now.

Edit, never mind it's right here. Says the game and maps were free, and I remember them changing over the course of time.

Ok, MS really needs to do something about Halo 4's DLC. I've got two recomendations that are mostly similar but with a slight difference:

Option 1: release the DLC maps in the slot of a game in the Games with Gold program. Instead of a game, release all the DLC for free for Gold members.

This sounds like a phenomenal idea they could use going forward.

It would be nice if they released the DLC for free somehow, but I think the Game In A Year edition has pretty much guaranteed they won't, unfortunately.

DLC shows up fairly often if you have a couple teammates who have it also (in 4v4 playlists at least). This weekend I've played Skyline, Monolith, Landfall, and Havest with various homies.

It would be nice if they released the DLC for free somehow, but I think the Game In A Year edition has pretty much guaranteed they won't, unfortunately.

DLC shows up fairly often if you have a couple teammates who have it also (in 4v4 playlists at least). This weekend I've played Skyline, Monolith, Landfall, and Havest with various homies.

Halo 4's DLC-detection stuff in matchmaking isn't bad by any stretch of the word, there's just nobody that plays the game anymore. Back during the 14 Day Buy and Play
lol
period I was constantly getting matched up with other DLC players.

Chettlar

Banned

Actually, I think that makes it even more likely, if you look at it another way.

See Microsoft is indeed giving this stuff away for free. So if more people have the Game of the Year edition, it means MS will be losing less money, while still getting the credit for giving something away for free (there's still tens of thousands of players without all of the DLC).

AND. Remember that this is only something that at most would be available for half of a month and only to Gold subscribers. So there are still a bunch of people who wouldn't get it, likely including myself.

But after that's all over, then suddenly guess what? The GOTY bundle is actually worth buying now. Currently, it's not all that worth getting honestly, because most people don't have the DLC, but if more people had the DLC, and if it showed up ever at all, then hey, I might fork over the extra so many bucks for the GOTY edition because now they can actually use the DLC. See?

This sounds like a phenomenal idea they could use going forward.

naturally this isn't just something just for Halo. Use it for other games with lots of DLC. Try Borderlands 2 even (ok, maybe not all of it, but a significant portion of it).

FyreWulff

I have the first two and Legendary.

I was sure they were all free for just a couple days after 3 was available. There was even a thread about "come join us for Halo 3 multiplayer." Not finding it right now.

Edit, never mind it's right here. Says the game and maps were free, and I remember them changing over the course of time.

Nope, all they did was cut Mythic 2 to half price for games with gold, but never made it free. MS policy is that DLC with achievements can never be free.

For Halo 4, they really should have just released the paid armor and then the maps for free. Armor subsidizes the maps, the map install base for 4 increases dramatically and MS still gets their dollarmonies.

Chettlar

Banned
Nope, all they did was cut Mythic 2 to half price for games with gold, but never made it free. MS policy is that DLC with achievements can never be free.

Hm. A bit misleading then, that thread.

For Halo 4, they really should have just released the paid armor and then the maps for free. Armor subsidizes the maps, the map install base for 4 increases dramatically and MS still gets their dollarmonies.

Oh totally, I think that's what they should do going forward (like with Halo One), but with this DLC already out, I think this works well considering everything currently established.

That's one of my issues, I couldn't convince my friends to come back to halo 4 regardless of what I said. They played about a week after release then tried again when the updates came. Majority have the DLC and I agree on the rare occasion I play with them the DLC is noticeably more frequent.
Overall I thought the DLC maps were okay, I actually really liked the last map pack for looks. The urban city map (can't remember the name) had a awesome odst kind of vibe to it.

FyreWulff

I think the time period for paid DLC into eternity has passed us, at this point. I'd go so far as to say the days of maps being actual DLC instead of just bundled into the title update are about over. Splitting the userbase just hurt 4 with DLC.

Paid armor can be ignored, and doesn't split the userbase. Paid maps currently create the following permutations of Halo 4's playerbase:

Vanilla
Vanilla + All DLC
Vanilla + Crimson
Vanilla + Crimson + Majestic
Vanilla + Crimson + Majestic + Castle
Vanilla + Crimson + Majestic + Castle + Champion
Vanilla + Crimson + Majestic + Champion
Vanilla + Crimson + Champion
Vanilla + Crimson + Castle
Vanilla + Majestic + Castle
Vanilla + Majestic + Champion
Vanilla + Majestic + Castle + Champion
Vanilla + Castle + Champion
Vanilla + Champion

And people wonder why DLC starts getting rarer in the later days

Fuchsdh

Any HaloGAFer with a capture card?

I have one as well.

Ah, I see. Thanks.

Oh, and this is tonight:

rgXBg5V.jpg

I'll prolly be on around 10PM EST to play a few games if anyone wants to join.

Woorloog

Banned
I think the time period for paid DLC into eternity has passed us, at this point. I'd go so far as to say the days of maps being actual DLC instead of just bundled into the title update are about over.

I wonder if this means no more extra maps at all aside from those at launch. Might be considerably cheaper and simpler, for devs and publishers, no?
Sure, giving maps for free creates goodwill but how much money does that bring in?

FyreWulff

I wonder if this means no more extra maps at all aside from those at launch. Might be considerably cheaper and simpler, for devs and publishers, no?
Sure, giving maps for free creates goodwill but how much money does that bring in?

Just sell cosmetics around the maps. Or use TF2's system where you can buy I think stamps for each community map? and the stamp revenue goes to the map creator, and it shows that you have the stamp for the map while playing.

So you'd let everyone play on Map Pack Awesome, and then people that want achievements for those maps buy the Awesome Map Pack Gold Pass that unlocks achievements for that map and say, makes any votes for that map count twice for you in the pregame lobby.

[evilhat]

Issue new maps as part of TU. Let everyone play on maps. Pay for the map to be able to view films and make Forge variants of that map.

[/evilhat]

Chettlar

Banned
I think the time period for paid DLC into eternity has passed us, at this point. I'd go so far as to say the days of maps being actual DLC instead of just bundled into the title update are about over. Splitting the userbase just hurt 4 with DLC.

Paid armor can be ignored, and doesn't split the userbase. Paid maps currently create the following permutations of Halo 4's playerbase:

Vanilla
Vanilla + All DLC
Vanilla + Crimson
Vanilla + Crimson + Majestic
Vanilla + Crimson + Majestic + Castle
Vanilla + Crimson + Majestic + Castle + Champion
Vanilla + Crimson + Majestic + Champion
Vanilla + Crimson + Champion
Vanilla + Crimson + Castle
Vanilla + Majestic + Castle
Vanilla + Majestic + Champion
Vanilla + Majestic + Castle + Champion
Vanilla + Castle + Champion
Vanilla + Champion

And people wonder why DLC starts getting rarer in the later days

There is the possibility of providing filters. How do 4's filters work? Are there DLC filters at all? What do they let you filter? I don't own 4, so my experience with it is fairly limited.

Woorloog

Banned
Just sell cosmetics around the maps. Or use TF2's system where you can buy I think stamps for each community map? and the stamp revenue goes to the map creator, and it shows that you have the stamp for the map while playing.

So you'd let everyone play on Map Pack Awesome, and then people that want achievements for those maps buy the Awesome Map Pack Gold Pass that unlocks achievements for that map and say, makes any votes for that map count twice for you in the pregame lobby.

[evilhat]

Issue new maps as part of TU. Let everyone play on maps. Pay for the map to be able to view films and make Forge variants of that map.

[/evilhat]
I'm inclined to believe the latter is what will happen, not the former.

Or perhaps something akin to League of Legends monetization? A selection of maps for free each week, others must be bought, earned or wait till next rotation.

[evilhat]

[/evilhat]
I wish they would do this... I think Halo 4 DLC is a lost cause, that train left the station a while back, but they really need to change the paradigm somehow for the next game. I wonder how much Microsoft corporate culture discourages innovative revenue paths?

evilhat idea I think is good. Shit, what would be even crazier:
"Detailed stats are available to premium map owners only"

FyreWulff

Confirmed.

@Fyre: re: the dlc w/ achievements policy, did they violate that with Spartan Assault? Or did they file that under a "title update"?

Anything they did with Spartan Assault would seem like a wildcard because it's been on 3 different platforms now and seems like an experiment

I also think Win8/Phone8 apps were a bit different with achievements. There was also that browser game they released that had achievements and was entirely free.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Anything they did with Spartan Assault would seem like a wildcard because it's been on 3 different platforms now and seems like an experiment

I also think Win8/Phone8 apps were a bit different with achievements. There was also that browser game they released that had achievements and was entirely free.

Yep, we in fact helped establish a few things there. Like cross purchase discounting and so on. It's still in flux.

Or they could just release the game with a upgraded forge system so any kind of map is possible. Although by memory I think you guys went over the expanded forge idea.
Map packs should be for free. If the reason why they aren't is because of achievements I really won't miss camping for 60 seconds to get one.

I think you're referring to Wordament. That's good stuff right there. I wish they'd do more stuff like that for things that don't work well for console.

Ghazi

My capture card doesn't work well, it's been having problems as of late. I extremely recommend ExWife's because it's very good, and he knows what he's doing.

Pretty sure the metal gear rising dlc is free and they have achievements.

FyreWulff

Pretty sure the metal gear rising dlc is free and they have achievements.

Started out paid though, so Konami must have gotten a special deal. You also tend to get a bit more leeway as a Japanese dev, because Microsoft wants to accomodate a Japanese market as much as possible.

They're arbitrary rules in the few place so you see them pushed and broken in a couple of places. For example, Rock Band 3 and Rock Band Blitz both -shipped- with DLC achievements already baked into the game - you just had to have paid DLC to unlock all of them. One of RB3's extra 250gs achievements was explicitly to download all the free songs and play them. So it was kind of a double rule breaker - it was an on-disc achievement that required DLC to unlock, but was also free DLC.

The main points of the (at least 360-era) rules were:

- Your game must have 1000gs base
- None of the 1000gs base achievements can require any DLC to unlock.
- You can ship with less than 1000gs, and make it up with DLC for the rest, but that DLC must be free.
- You can add DLC achievements in 250gs chunks
- That DLC must remain paid for the DLC achievements
- You can't add more than what MS currently limits as the gs cap (of course, it was a Microsoft game that broke the cap each time. that's the benefit of writing the rules)
- You are generally allotted one free DLC for each title. All of your other DLC must be paid DLC.

Chettlar

Banned
Started out paid though, so Konami must have gotten a special deal. You also tend to get a bit more leeway as a Japanese dev, because Microsoft wants to accomodate a Japanese market as much as possible.

They're arbitrary rules in the few place so you see them pushed and broken in a couple of places. For example, Rock Band 3 and Rock Band Blitz both -shipped- with DLC achievements already baked into the game - you just had to have paid DLC to unlock all of them. One of RB3's extra 250gs achievements was explicitly to download all the free songs and play them. So it was kind of a double rule breaker - it was an on-disc achievement that required DLC to unlock, but was also free DLC.

The main points of the (at least 360-era) rules were:

- Your game must have 1000gs base
- None of the 1000gs base achievements can require any DLC to unlock.
- You can ship with less than 1000gs, and make it up with DLC for the rest, but that DLC must be free.
- You can add DLC achievements in 250gs chunks
- That DLC must remain paid for the DLC achievements
- You can't add more than what MS currently limits as the gs cap (of course, it was a Microsoft game that broke the cap each time. that's the benefit of writing the rules)
- You are generally allotted one free DLC for each title. All of your other DLC must be paid DLC.

Those rules are rather arbirary for the most part.

But about the bolded. How then does Halo Reach have 1700gs possible? That isn't divisible by 250gs.

Chettlar

Banned
I thought Halo 3 at first, but since you said they come in packs of 250, Halo 3 still works with that technically.

First party title, not bound by arbitrary rules, i reckon.

Hmm. Not sure about that. Then again this might be another instance of MS being the ones stretching the rules and then just being like "Yeah, that's how it should have been originally. Everybody else sure go ahead." Something

Obviously, these would just be the rules for retail games right? How do the Arcade ones compare? I know at base they're all 200gs.

Karl2177

Karl was quickly shot down with that post because all he focused on was the cold hard stats instead of considering the entire picture. For example, not placing the Grenade Launcher in spots where there's absolutely 0 combat flow (ie: the shower of Powerhouse).

Proof.

Is this you just thinking this or do you have something substantial to provide?

Of course it's related because you said something about that weapon not lending itself well to players, which I'm challenging by asking if you're just listening to what 343 tells you or are you witnessing these things with your own eyes (people actually complaining about the weapon being crap and how it should be removed from future Halo games, which in reality we've all seen the opposite..)?

Also, one huge area you're failing to acknowledge here is that the Grenade Launcher has other uses than just killing people, something many other people pointed out when those "stats" were broken out. It has an EMP, so it's used to stop vehicles and strip shields. It can be triggered manually so you can use it to lock down positions. It requires a level of finesse to it because you have to lead your shots and take into account map geometry, so when you land a difficult shot it feels very rewarding. The list continues as to why the Grenade Launcher deserves a spot in the weapon sandbox and it's strange to see people defend something that doesn't tell the entire story, in this case those stats being the main reason as to why it was removed instead of improved.

Improve > Remove

And I'll challenge this by asking you again what people? Who? Where are you seeing people saying that the Grenade Launcher isn't a fun weapon to use? Because all I've ever seen was how shocked people were to see one of the best inclusions in Reach get axed for Halo 4.

Halo 3 'nades were garbage and should never return IMO. CE grenades on the other hand.. Powerful, longer fuse time, bouncy -> effective grenades. Combine that with a faster, more responsive strafe, a jump height that actually feels like a jump (unlike Reach's abysmal jump, sluggish walk speed + crazy strong grenades), and faster movement speed. Also, possible Thrusters B]

I know I'm a bit late on responding to this, but I want to address a few things. First, I like the grenade launcher and I want it to come back. I've wanted it in the next Halo game since before you even signed up here(I can't even find the original version that I posted, it's that old). My specifics for that picture have changed, but the overall idea largely remains the same, and I still want to see the Pro Pipe again.

Next, in the now eternally jpeg'd post, I wasn't defending the removal of the launcher. I was defending Frank's reasoning that it wasn't used that much versus your claim that it was removed because it was fun to use. Now I have an even larger sampling of data and I can still see why Frank's is a valid claim. Yes, I ignored the fact that it had an EMP; That was my fault. But you can still use the data and include EMPs. Reach distributes EMPs after kills and assists. So, assuming that every EMP medal awarded came from a grenade launcher(which we know not to be the case), there still is only an EMP rate of 1.50%. As for the kill stats, it sits at around 0.68% of total kills. Deaths represent the rest of the population (as that is who the data is going up against), and that number is even lower at 0.47%. My numbers are publicly available if you want to calculate them yourself.

Next you say that I was only looking at the numbers instead of the full picture. That is true, because that is the crux of the argument. When you say a weapon isn't being used, there is only one thing to look at, and that is straight up how often it is being used. My data includes stuff in the "competitive" lists, which included everything but Arena, Campaign, Firefight, and Invasion. That means it has everything from MLG to Action Sack. In the end, you can argue why it isn't being used(I'm fine with that, it's a good discussion), but you cannot argue that it wasn't used.

Lastly, people defended my post because it was evidence. It was hard data that people could use, understand, and analyze. I made a claim and I backed that claim. Was it perfect? No, I even stated above that I forgot about the EMP. So far, you have provided little, if any evidence for your claims. The front page of this site says "This is a neutral ground where facts and evidence, presented within the confines of civil, inclusive discourse, prevail through careful moderation." I provided the facts and evidence. I didn't do it in a civil manner, but I'll admit it was a vain attempt to scare you into posting fewer baseless statements or post more with actual, legitimate evidence. So hopefully this is a more civil way to get you to see this.

I apologize for not posting about Halo 4 in here, and for bringing general HaloGAF crap into this thread. I'm out until I have something on topic to contribute to in this thread.

FyreWulff

Hmm. Not sure about that. Then again this might be another instance of MS being the ones stretching the rules and then just being like "Yeah, that's how it should have been originally. Everybody else sure go ahead." Something.

Amusingly, I actually can't think of a rule that Halo 4 broke or made new with DLC. All fairly standard stuff. Even though it's Microsoft's first Halo they entirely controlled.

Amusingly, I actually can't think of a rule that Halo 4 broke or made new with DLC. All fairly standard stuff. Even though it's Microsoft's first Halo they entirely controlled.

That seems pretty self-explanatory. 343's wrapped around MS's finger, don't have to deal with as many corporate mutinies, bungie and other temporarily-contracted companies probably put up more of a fight, etc.

Nebula

I wouldn't mind all the maps being free because they would actually come up matchmaking more than once or twice a month. I'd love to be able to play them more often. I'd also feel like I finally got my monies worth.

Do it 343. Please.

Mistel

Banned
I wouldn't mind all the maps being free because they would actually come up matchmaking more than once or twice a month. I'd love to be able to play them more often. I'd also feel like I finally got my monies worth.

Do it 343. Please.
This point of the games life cycle I wouldn't mind seeing that happen. Then there's a chance to actually play the maps I've got.

Booties

Banned

Do it 343. Please.

I don't understand why they don't do this more often. Why restrict so much content? Didn't they spend a lot of time making it? Kids would rather buy master chief avatar helmets than maps. Make the easy money that way and gain trust through cheap/free DLC with good quality.

Do it 343. Please.

They need to require them too, the maps being free is not enough.

Madness

Said it before I'll say it again. Have whatever maps to have planned be available as part of the collectors and limited edition.

Then, have at least a 25-50% discount on launch day/week of map pack release. This creates an incentive for fans of the game to buy right away and play uninterrupted because they save money. Advertise or mention the hell out of the fact you get it cheaper on launch day or week. After that, when the next map pack releases, do the same for that map pack, and make the first pack free or discounted again and make it a required/forced download. Keep doing this for all subsequent map packs, release your GOTY edition, and then make all map packs free when enough time has elapsed. So by the time Champions DLC had released, at least Crimson and Majestic should have been free, and Outcast should be half price.

One of the biggest problems is, having map packs come so close to launch, sometimes just a month or two, instantly fragments the player base. Even the best shooter game in the world, that everyone is playing, will people be willing to pay right away for maps.

Having them be significantly discounted early on, might mean more sales and greater number of players. Now obviously the plan is not perfect, and it does mean slightly less profit for MS/343, but in the lifespan of the game it would be better. At least 343 has seen how DLC was done this time around, and with whatever they have planned with H2A/Halo 5, hopefully it works. It's not just Halo that suffers from this, many games have trouble cracking the DLC conundrum.

They need to require them too, the maps being free is not enough.

Yup, free and required would be ideal IMO. Give us a handful of armor sets to unlock, then create a ton of extra to charge for as DLC packs or something. Paid multiplayer DLC like maps and modes need to go.

OT but anyone remember when they tried charging $10 for those few game modes in Halo Wars? That was some serious BS.. and they still aren't free.

willow ve

Yup, free and required would be ideal IMO. Give us a handful of armor sets to unlock, then create a ton of extra to charge for as DLC packs or something. Paid multiplayer DLC like maps and modes need to go.

OT but anyone remember when they tried charging $10 for those few game modes in Halo Wars? That was some serious BS.. and they still aren't free.

All DLC for halo games before 4 should be free by now. Do it as a Games with Gold promo. DLC for 4 should be free or at least 75% at this point. It's like they don't want anyone to play the new maps. Ever.

I think paying for individual DLC packs is a frustrating system and Halo 4's map pass was only a half-measure. Here's what I could see for Halo Multiplayer on Xbox One:

Two tiers, and only two tiers. Enlisted and Commissioned.

Enlisted Soldier (Free) - $0 with XBL gold
- 8 core maps + 1 bimonthly rotational map.
- Access to 4 playlists: Team Slayer, Team Objective, Big Team Battle, and a monthly rotational playlist.
- Unranked playlists only.
- Your Spartan Rank eventually hits an XP cap. (Corresponds to enlisted military ranks.)
- Limited File Share space.

Commissioned Officer (Premium) - Subscriptions at $5 for 1 month, $25 for 6 months, or $40 for a year.
- 14 maps at launch + all DLC maps. (New maps released on a regular basis, ~3 maps every 3 months.)
- Access to all playlists. (Though if you play with non-Premium friends you're obviously restricted to those playlists.)
- Access to Ranked playlists.
- No cap on your Spartan rank - climb all the way to General.
- Double XP accelerates you through enlisted ranks.
- Expanded File Share space.

-------
> Halo 5 is Campaign/Firefight only, but comes with unique (cosmetic) multiplayer unlocks and a 6-month subscription to Premium. Campaign DLC is purchased on a per-item basis.

> DLC maps are only available through the Premium subscription - they cannot be purchased independently. Only. Two. Tiers.

> Each map is a separate file, allowing easier patching (smaller downloads) and enabling singular rotational maps for Free users.

> Both tiers include access to Custom Games, Theater, and Forge, though Free users are still limited to the 8 core maps.

-------
> Your Spartan Rank unlocks cosmetic armor pieces, weapon skins, player card backgrounds/weapons/stances, Xbox avatar items, and Upload templates. Nothing that affects gameplay.

> Additional unlocks are available for purchase by Free or Premium users. Drop $2 for an ODST armor set. Microtransactions, but nothing affecting gameplay.

> If you downgrade from Premium to Free, you retain your current Spartan Rank (and any unlocks) but your XP is frozen if you're past the Enlisted cap and you no longer have access to Premium maps.

-------
Take a little bit of Halo 4, mix in some Team Fortress 2 hat stuff, and use Games as a Service to sell it.

Top Bottom