• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

wwm0nkey

Commissioned (Premium) - Subscriptions at $5 for 1 month, $25 for 6 months, or $40 for a year.
- 14 maps at launch + all DLC maps. (New maps released on a regular basis, ~2 maps every 3 months.)
- Access to all playlists. (Though if you play with non-Premium friends you're obviously restricted to those playlists.)
- Access to Ranked playlists.
- No cap on your Spartan rank.
- Double XP accelerates you through enlisted ranks.
- Expanded File Share space.

-------
> Halo 5 is Campaign/Firefight only, but comes with unique (cosmetic) multiplayer unlocks and a 6-month subscription to Premium. Campaign DLC is purchased on a per-item basis.

> DLC maps are only available through the Premium subscription - they cannot be purchased independently. Only. Two. Tiers.

> Each map is a separate file, allowing easier patching (smaller downloads) and enabling singular rotational maps for Free users.

> Both tiers include access to Custom Games, Theater, and Forge, though Free users are still limited to the 8 core maps.

-------
> Your Spartan Rank unlocks cosmetic armor pieces, weapon skins, player card backgrounds/weapons/stances, Xbox avatar items, and Upload templates. Nothing that affects gameplay.

> Additional unlocks are available for purchase by Free or Premium users. Drop $2 for an ODST armor set. Microtransactions, but nothing affecting gameplay.

> If you downgrade from Premium to Free, you retain your current Spartan Rank (and any unlocks) but your XP is frozen if you're past the Enlisted cap and you no longer have access to Premium maps.

-------
Take a little bit of Halo 4, mix in some Team Fortress 2 hat stuff, and use Games as a Service to sell it.

That is ALL just awful, like holy shit.

Mistel

Banned
Commissioned (Premium) - Subscriptions at $5 for 1 month, $25 for 6 months, or $40 for a year.
- 14 maps at launch + all DLC maps. (New maps released on a regular basis, ~2 maps every 3 months.)
- Access to all playlists. (Though if you play with non-Premium friends you're obviously restricted to those playlists.)
Wow that's a really bad idea, who would actual be as naive to actually pay for that?

Havoc2049

I think paying for individual DLC packs is a frustrating system and Halo 4's map pass was only a half-measure. Here's what I could see for Halo Multiplayer on Xbox One:

Two tiers, and only two tiers. Enlisted and Commissioned.

Enlisted (Free) - $0 with XBL gold
- 8 core maps + 1 bimonthly rotational map.
- Access to 4 playlists: Team Slayer, Team Objective, Big Team Battle, and a monthly rotational playlist.
- Unranked playlists only.
- Your Spartan Rank eventually hits an XP cap. (Corresponds to enlisted military ranks.)
- Limited File Share space.

-------
> Halo 5 is Campaign/Firefight only, but comes with unique (cosmetic) multiplayer unlocks and a 6-month subscription to Premium. Campaign DLC is purchased on a per-item basis.

> DLC maps are only available through the Premium subscription - they cannot be purchased independently. Only. Two. Tiers.

> Each map is a separate file, allowing easier patching (smaller downloads) and enabling singular rotational maps for Free users.

> Both tiers include access to Custom Games, Theater, and Forge, though Free users are still limited to the 8 core maps.

-------
> Your Spartan Rank unlocks cosmetic armor pieces, weapon skins, player card backgrounds/weapons/stances, Xbox avatar items, and Upload templates. Nothing that affects gameplay.

> Additional unlocks are available for purchase by Free or Premium users. Drop $2 for an ODST armor set. Microtransactions, but nothing affecting gameplay.

> If you downgrade from Premium to Free, you retain your current Spartan Rank (and any unlocks) but your XP is frozen if you're past the Enlisted cap and you no longer have access to Premium maps.

-------
Take a little bit of Halo 4, mix in some Team Fortress 2 hat stuff, and use Games as a Service to sell it.

Uggghh......that is like doubling down on DLC, subscriptions and micro-transactions, taking it to the next level and putting it all together in one franchise killing fat flaming ninja dog turd ball.

I'm for premium and base map packs. Have the map packs available to everyone, but for those who pay and buy the premium, maybe some unique armor, armor colors (bring black back please!!), weapon skins and achievements. A win for Microsoft/343 to make some money and a win for the hardcore Halo fans with the extras and a non-fragmented online community.

I think paying for individual DLC packs is a frustrating system and Halo 4's map pass was only a half-measure. Here's what I could see for Halo Multiplayer on Xbox One:

Two tiers, and only two tiers. Enlisted and Commissioned.

Enlisted (Free) - $0 with XBL gold
- 8 core maps + 1 bimonthly rotational map.
- Access to 4 playlists: Team Slayer, Team Objective, Big Team Battle, and a monthly rotational playlist.
- Unranked playlists only.
- Your Spartan Rank eventually hits an XP cap. (Corresponds to enlisted military ranks.)
- Limited File Share space.

- 14 maps at launch + all DLC maps. (New maps released on a regular basis, ~3 maps every 3 months.)

-------

-------

-------

I always hate "Double XP for premium users" offers these days it makes any progesssion feels worthless and make people to ask for more worthless level caps

I sincerely dont want a Premium service in Halo, I think Activison did a similar system in MW3 and it was awesome but the game was really bad so i dont fully enjoyed the 1 year membership. I dont remember why they didnt continue that membership for later games.

Premium service is excusable if the game finally triumphs overtime, the great risk is now of the longevitiy of the game and how 343i would develop incoming DLC. Just look at BF4 and their suddenly nature to release their DLC pretty fast, they are about to release their third DLC of 4.

Based on the numbers below, I revised the DLC cadence described above to be 3 maps every 3 months (instead of 2 maps). I still think that's a little conservative considering the fact that 343/CA delivered 12 maps in ~9 months.

11/06/2012: Halo 4 ($60)
12/10/2012: Crimson Map Pack ($10)
02/25/2011: Majestic Map Pack ($10)
03/29/2013: Forge Island (Free)
04/01/2013: Castle Map Pack ($10)
08/20/2013: Champions Bundle ($10)

Total: $100
-------
But wait, wasn't there a season pass?

> Halo 4 ($60)
> War Games Map Pass ($25)
> Forge Island (Free)
> Champions Bundle ($10)

Total: $95
-------
Yeah, but the Map Pass was free with the LE.

> Halo 4 Limited Edition ($100)
> Forge Island (Free)
> Champions Bundle ($10)

Total: $110
-------
Okay, but those are the inital prices. Only tryhards buy stuff at launch, that shit gets cheaper. I want to play Halo 4 this weekend and not worry about population splitting crap, but I need to convince my friend to get the game so we can play together. What's his cheapest option?

> Halo 4: Game of the Year Edition ($40)
OR
> Used copy of Halo 4 + War Games Map Pass + Champions Bundle ($40? At least?)

Wow, you guys were right. "Hey man, just drop $5 so we can play Halo together." Who would be naive enough to do that?
-------
Granted, those numbers include Campaign and Spartan Ops, but there isn't an easy way to separate that. Let's say Campaign/SpOps was $40 and Multiplayer was $20.

> Discounted Total for Halo 4 with 22 maps across 1 year (10 + 3 + 3 + 1 + 3 + 2): $55-$70

> Halo for Xbox One with 22 maps across 1 year (10 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3): $40-$60

I dropped my launch total for Premium of 14 maps to 10 just for a fair comparison. Jumping in late for a short Halo bender only costs $5 for access to all currently released maps, and population splitting is at a minimum - either you have all of the maps, or just the 8 free ones. Look at the short population spikes that Halo 3 and Gears of War got from Games with Gold - imagine that for Halo multiplayer on a bimonthly basis thanks to the Free tier and the rotational maps. It's a much lower barrier for people to resubscribe and repopulate the DLC hoppers than Halo 4 currently has.

How many of you plan to keep playing Halo 4 until this November? How many new players (with DLC!) will the game get in the next few months? If Halo is a two-year game, then the maximum you would spend under the Premium model is $120. For 34 maps. (Or just $80 if you think ahead and get a yearly subscription). And if you wanted to come back further on down the road for a throwback weekend/month, it's just $5.

- Microsoft gets more money from impulsive $5 subscribers pulled in by the Free tier than $10 DLC sold to a shrinking population.
- Halo gets a healthier population.
- Hardcore fans spend pretty much the same amount of money as they did before, but can expect better support for their money and can unsubscribe at will.

But I guess that's a really dumb idea.

Chettlar

Banned
A service is an ongoing thing. You always have to pay for it. In the short run, maaaayybe you save some, but in the long run? Uh-uh. Because you're paying an indefinite amount. $40 a year to do this and you have to pay further $40 for gold to even be able to use it in any sort of significant way. Just no.

How bout they just make it free like Killzone like other people here are saying.

belushy

Banned
I think they could do early adopter map packs... pretty much people can pay $5 or $10 for 3-4 map map packs, and then after a month or two they become free, with the release of a new map pack.

Since no one would be stupid enough to buy the maps early, 343 can focus on cosmetic packs to buy. Emblems, gun skins, grenade FX (grunt party grenades, and stuff like that [only in unranked playlists]), armor variants, visor colors, and all that jazz.

Tzeentch

I liked the idea of maps being free (or very cheap) with the option to purchase a more advanced version that had access to metrics and account perks.

Booties

Banned
How about as a company they just try to keep their player-base unified at all costs? Sounds like a good, financially beneficial idea to me.

Nebula

Infinity CTF needs to burn. How the hell are you meant to run anything with vehicles if they get pooped on by the Plasma Pistol Sticky combo all the time.

Duji

I know I'm a bit late on responding to this, but I want to address a few things. First, I like the grenade launcher and I want it to come back. I've wanted it in the next Halo game since before you even signed up here(I can't even find the original version that I posted, it's that old). My specifics for that picture have changed, but the overall idea largely remains the same, and I still want to see the Pro Pipe again.

Next, in the now eternally jpeg'd post, I wasn't defending the removal of the launcher. I was defending Frank's reasoning that it wasn't used that much versus your claim that it was removed because it was fun to use. Now I have an even larger sampling of data and I can still see why Frank's is a valid claim. Yes, I ignored the fact that it had an EMP; That was my fault. But you can still use the data and include EMPs. Reach distributes EMPs after kills and assists. So, assuming that every EMP medal awarded came from a grenade launcher(which we know not to be the case), there still is only an EMP rate of 1.50%. As for the kill stats, it sits at around 0.68% of total kills. Deaths represent the rest of the population (as that is who the data is going up against), and that number is even lower at 0.47%. My numbers are publicly available if you want to calculate them yourself.

Next you say that I was only looking at the numbers instead of the full picture. That is true, because that is the crux of the argument. When you say a weapon isn't being used, there is only one thing to look at, and that is straight up how often it is being used. My data includes stuff in the "competitive" lists, which included everything but Arena, Campaign, Firefight, and Invasion. That means it has everything from MLG to Action Sack. In the end, you can argue why it isn't being used(I'm fine with that, it's a good discussion), but you cannot argue that it wasn't used.

Lastly, people defended my post because it was evidence. It was hard data that people could use, understand, and analyze. I made a claim and I backed that claim. Was it perfect? No, I even stated above that I forgot about the EMP. So far, you have provided little, if any evidence for your claims. The front page of this site says "This is a neutral ground where facts and evidence, presented within the confines of civil, inclusive discourse, prevail through careful moderation." I provided the facts and evidence. I didn't do it in a civil manner, but I'll admit it was a vain attempt to scare you into posting fewer baseless statements or post more with actual, legitimate evidence. So hopefully this is a more civil way to get you to see this.

I apologize for not posting about Halo 4 in here, and for bringing general HaloGAF crap into this thread. I'm out until I have something on topic to contribute to in this thread.
Kinda sucks that they removed it because most players (foolishly) didn't use it that often given the few times it appeared in the first place and also given the often odd placements on their associated maps. You simply cannot win games in high level doubles if you let the other team have the grenade launcher every time. Also using 343's line of logic of removing unused weapons, why the hell was the cumbersome and unnecessary Concussion Rifle kept in for Halo 4? This is purely anecdotal but I honestly saw way more GL use than CR use. So why did the GL fit the bill and not the CR or even the Plasma Pistol as the Henery pointed awhile back? Can you give us the stats on how these three weapons compare (esp GL vs CR)?

Kinda sucks that they removed it because most players (foolishly) didn't use it that often given the few times it appeared in the first place and also given the often odd placements on their associated maps. You simply cannot win games in high level doubles if you let the other team have the grenade launcher every time. Also using 343's line of logic of removing unused weapons, why the hell was the cumbersome and unnecessary Concussion Rifle kept in for Halo 4? This is purely anecdotal but I honestly saw way more GL use than CR use. So why did the GL fit the bill and not the CR or even the Plasma Pistol as the Henery pointed awhile back? Can you give us the stats on how these three weapons compare (esp GL vs CR)?

I liked the concussion rifle in Reach, but I am confused as to why they brought it back for 4. Seems like they should have given the Prometheans another non-clone (orange shotgun, orange sniper, orange rocket launcher...) weapon instead.

FyreWulff

The Conc rifle came across pretty unchanged as well, no? In appearance and firing.

Kind of feels like it was kept because it'd be the "Brute shot" equivalent for Elites without having to introduce Brutes as enemies just yet again.

Reach version

800px-HReach_-_Concussion_Rifle.png

Halo 4 version:

I liked the concussion rifle in Reach, but I am confused as to why they brought it back for 4. Seems like they should have given the Prometheans another non-clone (orange shotgun, orange sniper, orange rocket launcher...) weapon instead.

What, you mean like an orange pistol, or maybe an orange rifle?

With unconventional map movement on the rise in next-gen titles, I have to wonder how Halo can adapt. Maybe they could replace the current vertical movement tool (jetpack) with an actual weapon from Promethean tech. Something that can modify technology on the fly or perhaps possess some mild telekinetic ablities... didn't the Didact do that? You could use it to activate and deactivate teleporters carefully spread throughout vanilla map layouts, and stun / possibly "weigh down" targets using the properties of... some sort of omnipresent Newtonian theoretical line of physics. And with all the Promethean weapon-morphing gimmicks, it'd be easy to form over a human hand, almost like a... a sort of medieval-sounding, reinforced piece of hand and forearm-mounted armor plating which could also be used to punch enemies.

...the Thermodynamic Glove? The Inertia Fist? The Grabbedy Bracelet? I've got nothing.

Ampoc

Neo Member
I think this may be a tad bit offtopic but https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/443211319437582336

That pretty much confirms that neogaffer leak is fake, or at least something along the lines of that. I'm actually sad, I'm itching bad for some Halo news :( the wait is too loooong

Also, the reason I posted this is because I thought when Halo news was confirmed to be at E3 I didn't know there will only be Halo news at E3, but this single tweet pretty much says Halo will only be at E3. At least bigger news anyway.

I think this may be a tad bit offtopic but https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/443211319437582336

That pretty much confirms that neogaffer leak is fake, or at least something along the lines of that. I'm actually sad, I'm itching bad for some Halo news :( the wait is too loooong

Also, the reason I posted this is because I thought when Halo news was confirmed to be at E3 I didn't know there will only be Halo news at E3, but this single tweet pretty much says Halo will only be at E3. At least bigger news anyway.

Yes... lets stray further from arena gameplay with adding LARGER maps and more people to betray you.

wwm0nkey

The leaker was not fake and the TitanFall Xbox proved that. His info was outdated though as shown by Microsoft not releasing the special Xbox Ones.

So Microsoft might have planned for a March reveal but changed plans. H2A is going to happen.

Chettlar

Banned
Yeah, think about it. Why would Microsoft announce Halo 2A at GDC or whenever they were going to in March if doing so would basically further validate the leaker? They want people to not focus on him. Thus plans are changed to E3.

Plus, announcements are usually fairly easy to change. Not always easy, but always perfectly possible.

If absolutely nothing happens at GDC, I'll pull my expectations down. Remember that there is indeed a chance Halo 2A isn't coming, so keep them down.

Gah, but it's so hard tho!

For DLC I'd be happy with either:

1. Free maps for all but matchmaking only. Charge to play customs or Forge with them or cosmetic add-ons.

2. Early adopters pay full price (bundle with season pass or limited edition of game), discount to 50% 3 months later and free 6 months later with required on all playlists from then on.

Chettlar

Banned
For DLC I'd be happy with either:

1. Free maps for all but matchmaking only. Charge to play customs or Forge with them or cosmetic add-ons.

2. Early adopters pay full price (bundle with season pass or limited edition of game), discount to 50% 3 months later and free 6 months later with required on all playlists from then on.

I don't know that I like this. Seems unnecessary, and worse, could potentially discourage use of Forge.

You don't want to make people pay to be creative. You want to reward them for it. I suggest just giving us the maps entirely. There are other, better ways of doing this.

Madness

I think you had a good point Duncan, in the scheme of things, with shorter game lifespans and shorter dev cycles, subscription type services could work.

A big problem would be the initial deployment of it. Look how vehemently you were rebutted by a lot of Halo fans. People are resistant to change. We're no longer playing a single game everyday for years. Plus it would seem a bit convoluted and not straightforward. Plus leave it to Microsoft to try and get as much profit as possible. So I wouldn't trust them.

But I can see where you're coming from, I mean look how many stopped playing Halo 4, I'm pretty sure that for those who get the urge sometimes, subscribing for a month to have all DLC again for only $5, and if they don't like it, they leave again, and if they like it, they can resubscribe.

Woorloog

Banned
The Conc rifle came across pretty unchanged as well, no? In appearance and firing.

Kind of feels like it was kept because it'd be the "Brute shot" equivalent for Elites without having to introduce Brutes as enemies just yet again.

Reach version

Halo 4 version:

Pretty sure they only changed the texture for Halo 4 (and sounds and tweaked ROF, damage, reload speed, and in the Conc's case, reload animation might have been changed). The same applies to the Needler and Plasma Pistol, and probably the Fuel Rod Cannon.
The Magnum is rather close to the Reach model too but i don't think it is the same though.

The Conc is the Brute Shot for all intents and purposes in Reach, but fits the Elites as well, unlike the Brute Shot*. No need for two weapons when one does the job... and yet still the game has the Spiker, and Plasma Rifle and Plasma Repeater...

*Ironically the Elites in Halo 2 tended to be okay if you gave them a Brute Shot, though they often liked power weapons no matter what kind of they were.

Fuchsdh

Pretty sure they only changed the texture for Halo 4 (and sounds and tweaked ROF, damage, reload speed, and in the Conc's case, reload animation might have been changed). The same applies to the Needler and Plasma Pistol, and probably the Fuel Rod Cannon.
The Magnum is rather close to the Reach model too but i don't think it is the same though.

The Conc is the Brute Shot for all intents and purposes in Reach, but fits the Elites as well, unlike the Brute Shot*. No need for two weapons when one does the job... and yet still the game has the Spiker, and Plasma Rifle and Plasma Repeater...

*Ironically the Elites in Halo 2 tended to be okay if you gave them a Brute Shot, though they often liked power weapons no matter what kind of they were.

Well the Plasma Repeater was useless and just in there for Invasion, but I loved the Reach version of the Spiker. Felt like a beast, like the plasma pistol. Sadly the PP was pretty much the only weapon that got nerfed in feel to Halo 4, which is a shame. Would love for it to get turned back into a serious weapon beyond the overcharge.

And yeah from an artistic standpoint the weapons were remarkably unchanged, and something I appreciated, personally. Wish they'd showed similar restraint elsewhere.

Woorloog

Banned
Well the Plasma Repeater was useless and just in there for Invasion, but I loved the Reach version of the Spiker. Felt like a beast, like the plasma pistol. Sadly the PP was pretty much the only weapon that got nerfed in feel to Halo 4, which is a shame. Would love for it to get turned back into a serious weapon beyond the overcharge.

And yeah from an artistic standpoint the weapons were remarkably unchanged, and something I appreciated, personally. Wish they'd showed similar restraint elsewhere.

The Spiker in Reach is utterly pointless weapon. It isn't hitscan like the AR, and has low damage (especially with its other drawbacks), ROF and projectile speed.
And it looks worse than Halo 3 iteration too.

I never understood why the Plasma Pistol primary fire had to be nerfed to ground from Halo CE, reducing the weapon to "Overcharge Pistol", especially in those games where the Overcharge doesn't actually deal any damage, only strips shields and has EMP. I'm not sure but i think Halo 4 has actually quite powerful primary fire for it... not that it is anywhere near Halo CE usefulness.

As for the weapon looks... I've said it before, i'd would have preferred they'd redo everything or nothing (if exact same version of a weapon as before, aside from higher quality assets, and perhaps slight tweaks).

And speaking of the Fuel Rod Gun, why the fuck is it in Halo 4 multiplayer? The thing is worse than the Incinerator cannon due to its enormous power for its magazine size. The latter is actually an almost reasonable weapon with long reload, single shot, and slowish projectile (and then its user has the Ammo perk... like me. 9 shots from it is way too much).
Halo 2 had the FRG as campaign weapon only as it should be. And Halo 3 MP didn't have it either if i recall correctly, something to do with networking issues (like the Flame Bomb 'nades), and most likely balancing too.

Chettlar

Banned
I miss the CE plasma pistol. :(

Not being able to kill a grunt with a single overcharged blast upon starting Halo 3's campaign was so dismaying.

belushy

Banned
A service is an ongoing thing. You always have to pay for it. In the short run, maaaayybe you save some, but in the long run? Uh-uh. Because you're paying an indefinite amount. $40 a year to do this and you have to pay further $40 for gold to even be able to use it in any sort of significant way. Just no.

How bout they just make it free like Killzone like other people here are saying.

Yeah but you've got to look at the content given. (Based on Duncan's post.)

-Consistent Multiplayer mechanics for the foreseeable future.
-Patches out the wazoo for those same mechanics (Refining the mechanics they have, instead of rehashing them or getting rid of them completely and adding new ones)
-14 maps at launch. With 8 Maps a year in additional maps.
-Possibility of new features every few years. (I mean, it would be the same game two years down the line, so they'd have time to polish these new features without having to worry about running out of time.)

Now, $40 a year is a steep price, and I won't agree with Duncan on that. $28-30 is a good range I feel like, for what you are getting. I also disagree with the Double XP stuff. Instead, the free users XP gain should be 75% the rate that Premium is at.

Top Bottom