• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Duji

I'm going to go ahead make a totally baseless guess that the line is that one could be easily reused in the campaign as an enemy weapon and the other couldn't. Can't exactly slap a grenade launcher on an Elite for variety the same way, and it's probably a complex enough weapon that scripting the AI to have realistic perception of the shot physics would have been difficult. And the grenade launcher wasn't ever really a great weapon against AI in Reach (where I think the sticky detonator is actually pretty strong by comparison), so maybe it just doesn't make sense to them to put in what is probably not an insignificant amount of effort into weapon exclusive to one mode. Not that it's great justification from a holistic standpoint, but the concussion rifle gave the PVE designers a pretty simple tool to use in addition to making some amount of sense for the multiplayer. I would imagine it made logistical sense, even if that's not really what we're interested in as players.

This is a pretty good guess IMO.

The Sticky Detonator is probably among the worst weapons, if not the worst in Halo 4.
It is slow to fire, slow to fly, slow to do damage, has heavy arcing, has arbitrary max range beyond which the projectile instantly detonates, is rare... Its relatively high damage is its only saving grace... in a game filled with powerful weapon...

The sticky detonator has a bigger blast radius than the rockets. Test it out for yourself.

The only secondary feature to the sticky det is to use it as a trip mine which goes against high speed combat. Plus it's very obvious and no one falls for it (if the fuse even lasts long enough) But you could use the pro pipe for that as well with way more utility. The indicator on the HUD was pretty cool. The sticky det is obvious, boring, slow, and not as fun to use.

You're not being creative enough. The sticky detonator is actually the best trolling weapon of all time in Halo history! Seriously I've never seen anyone else other than myself attempt this. Since then I've done it so many times that I'm thinking about making a montage. It is undoubtedly one of the most humiliating ways to kill someone and people's reactions are often priceless. Sometimes they try suicide bombing my ass by running in to me for a melee battle, sometimes they kill themselves, and sometimes they just crouch in a corner hopelessly awaiting their impending doom as they hear the sound of the stuck grenade on them beep faster and faster.
I would still take the GL over it though, even considering all the laughs the SD provided me.

Let's be honest though.

Buy trucknuts for Warthog -> Load it up -> get a road trip -> instead of just "ROAD TRIP!" you just hear a southern accented voice screaming, "YEEEEE HAWWWWWWW!"

There would be nothing better. The series could end there and nobody would mind at all. It could never be topped.

Mistel

Banned
Let's be honest though.

Buy trucknuts for Warthog -> Load it up -> get a road trip -> instead of just "ROAD TRIP!" you just hear a southern accented voice screaming, "YEEEEE HAWWWWWWW!"

There would be nothing better. The series could end there and nobody would mind at all. It could never be topped.
Instead of doing the whole truck nut thing why not paint it like the General Lee? Then stick lots of crazy jumps on maps?

Truck nuts for halo 5 vehicles confirmed

Screenshot.ashx

On the topic of vehicles everyone seems to prefer the new banshee design. I really liked the old one. In reach it looked like a flying Lego block.

Instead of doing the whole truck nut thing why not paint it like the General Lee? Then stick lots of crazy jumps on maps?

Warthog horn replaced by General Lee horn confirmed.

As for the truck nuts/yee haw, I think it would be even better if for every splatter with truck nuts, fireworks go off and you just hear Tim McGraw yell "Truck Yeah!".

Frankie take notes. This is what the Halo community wants. No more silly stuff like Halo CE pistol or true skill ranking systems. We don't want to argue about Assault Rifle starts anymore. We don't even care about sub-par maps.

We want truck nuts.

Nebula

Well I'll be damned. That did just happen. I'm not dreaming. I may be the second person ever to hit that.

I'm incredibly happy with what just happened.

Random17

Halo 4 sounds are odd IMO.

I generally agree, but I'd say there were more in line of "hit and miss." I absolutely adored the some of the more subtle sounds, such as when you are reloading your BR or moving around on certain surfaces. Very satisfying to hear.

Other sounds just ruin it; the Warthog comes to mind.

And yeah, I'd like to say hi as a Halo fan for almost 12 years now. I have completed the HaloGaf survey, although it was somewhat painful to see the actual HaloGaf thread crash and burn as I waited for registration confirmation. It took about 2 months IIRC for me to get accepted.

Mistel

Banned
Well I'll be damned. That did just happen. I'm not dreaming. I may be the second person ever to hit that.

I'm incredibly happy with what just happened.
What did you do? Can't spoil me with a good story? Or a video...

Could we get T tops on a warthog or a trans am flames?

Booties

Banned
I generally agree, but I'd say there were more in line of "hit and miss." I absolutely adored the some of the more subtle sounds, such as when you are reloading your BR or moving around on certain surfaces. Very satisfying to hear.

Other sounds just ruin it; the Warthog comes to mind.

And yeah, I'd like to say hi as a Halo fan for almost 12 years now. I have completed the HaloGaf survey, although it was somewhat painful to see the actual HaloGaf thread crash and burn as I waited for registration confirmation. It took about 2 months IIRC for me to get accepted.

We don't talk about that thread anymore. That's from the long-ago. In the time-before. When the ancients roamed these forums.

Fuchsdh

On the topic of vehicles everyone seems to prefer the new banshee design. I really liked the old one. In reach it looked like a flying Lego block.

Personally, I've grown to like the new design but I still love the original. I'm fine with either.

Personally I prefer the old style. To me the Reach and Halo 4 style feels unbalanced, with a cockpit that's too large compared to its wingspan.

As a Professional* Wheelman, I don't really have trouble with the H4 Warthog even though anyone can spawn with the PP and Stickies. The vehicle is fine, they just need to not allow such bogus loadout options
(the Wheelman mod helps, but it shouldn't have to exist in the first place..)
Personally I prefer the old style. To me the Reach and Halo 4 style feels unbalanced, with a cockpit that's too large compared to its wingspan.
Assault on the Control room + fog/amazing atmosphere + Banshees overhead + Banshee sound effects = Halo.

*Ranked #1 on www.ProfessionalWheelmen.com

Nebula

Had some good runs on H4 today. Best ones on Meltdown strangely enough. Drove a guy for 8 kills and got 3 splatters myself. Fuel Rod is OP.

Also does anyone know how to get NeoGAF to stay on the mobile site if I'm on a computer? I'm using it in a small window and mobile would be perfect for it.

Booties

Banned
Had some good runs on H4 today. Best ones on Meltdown strangely enough. Drove a guy for 8 kills and got 3 splatters myself. Fuel Rod is OP.

Also does anyone know how to get NeoGAF to stay on the mobile site if I'm on a computer? I'm using it in a small window and mobile would be perfect for it.

Does it change from mobile to desktop when you click a link?

I don't know where to ask this so I'm gonna ask here:

Does anyone know if Xbox One has a feature like 360 to transfer DRM licenses from one Xbox to another?

I downloaded Ghosts on my friends Xbox One before I had one and now I want to use it on my xbox one (even while offline)

Does anyone know if this is possible? If so, how?

I don't know where to ask this so I'm gonna ask here:

Does anyone know if Xbox One has a feature like 360 to transfer DRM licenses from one Xbox to another?

I downloaded Ghosts on my friends Xbox One before I had one and now I want to use it on my xbox one (even while offline)

Does anyone know if this is possible? If so, how?

If you downloaded on your own account just goto your games and apps and you should be able to install it from there

Chettlar

Banned
Oh yes, I was wondering this too.

See, I downloaded Halo 3 to my Xbox, and it's tied to my account, but other users on my Xbox can play it. However, if I tried to download it on a friend's Xbox, I can still play it with my user, but he can't. Without my user on his Xbox, the game is completely inaccessible.

He can play it using his user on my Xbox, since mine is the one the game is attached too. He can't play it on his, because it was originally downloaded. This is actually why I don't buy things through the website, and instead do it through my Xbox directly, because much of the time, it will only let my user use the game instead of everybody's like they can if I'd just bought the game and downloaded it.

Napsta is asking if there's a way to move the rights that are right now only on his friends to his own. I'd like to know this.

Oh yes, I was wondering this too.

See, I downloaded Halo 3 to my Xbox, and it's tied to my account, but other users on my Xbox can play it. However, if I tried to download it on a friend's Xbox, I can still play it with my user, but he can't. Without my user on his Xbox, the game is completely inaccessible.

He can play it using his user on my Xbox, since mine is the one the game is attached too. He can't play it on his, because it was originally downloaded. This is actually why I don't buy things through the website, and instead do it through my Xbox directly, because much of the time, it will only let my user use the game instead of everybody's like they can if I'd just bought the game and downloaded it.

Napsta is asking if there's a way to move the rights that are right now only on his friends to his own. I'd like to know this.

I figured out how to do it on Xbox One. In settings I had to set my Xbox One as my "home xbox".

This took away the right for my friend to play my game on his Xbone, but gave every account on my xbone the right to play it.

I believe the only way to do it on 360 is to do a license transfer Chettlar.

-- We can infer that it's the result of some sort of reverse-engineering, due the rather over-elaborate combine effect and seeker capability. However, the weapon technology that has been explicitly noted as being from Forerunner designs are all plasma I believe. So it could be a older technology used alongside more advanced relics -- which may explain the reticence of Elites to carry needlers.

-- I can't find a specific quote that mentions it being Forerunner in origin in the novels or Encyclopedia. I don't have the H4 Visual guide on me though, it might have something.

-- However, note that the Sentinel Enforcer in Halo 2 fires projectiles that are similar to needlers (but colored red). According to the Wiki (citation needed!) Bungie wanted to have a Forerunner crystalline weapon pickup from some Sentinels that isn't in the final game. That could be pretty good evidence of Forerunner origin, or just a visual shortcut and they are not supposed to be related.
Very good points. I also checked the encyclopedia and couldn't find anything. But the fact that a Sentinel Enforcer wields a needler like weapon is probably the closest we have to any form of clarification. Something like the needle rifle would be very effective against Flood, three shots and a supercombine (similar to needle rifle vs reach brutes) so i can see the forerunners making use of it.

Personally, I've grown to like the new design but I still love the original. I'm fine with either.

I'm totally with original is best and feel CE's banshee is best banshee. For me to start liking the new one they would have to make it appear much more aerodynamic. Halo Reach and 4 went in the wrong direction i felt. Oh and turn the wailing sound it gets its name from way up, that sound back in the day (single or multi) made me double back to cover and check the skies.

side note got my Xbox One last night and my girlfriend asked where i brought a VCR from. Had to laugh.

Chettlar

Banned
Aww, poor unknown ixi. late.

I do it all the time

I figured out how to do it on Xbox One. In settings I had to set my Xbox One as my "home xbox".

This took away the right for my friend to play my game on his Xbone, but gave every account on my xbone the right to play it.

I believe the only way to do it on 360 is to do a license transfer Chettlar.

So an improvement in that case? Awesome. Err, though. That makes me want to keep my 360.

But without selling it, I might not be able to buy an Xbox One. Decisions, decisions. I may end up being able to keep my 360. Depends.

Thanks for that.

Omni

Nice to see you posting again Chettlar B]
Unsure-Larry-David.gif

WHY IS SETTLER STILL A THING

Oh my god. It makes me want to cry. I feel like it's worse than The Cage. I don't know whether it's because I always seem to be up against full parties whenever that map comes up or what, but it's the one map in this game that frustrates me to no end

Duji

I was chatting with my roommate and for some reason neither of us could recall the H4 multiplayer UNSC aerial vehicle.

H3 had the Hornet, HR had the falcon, and H4 had... ?

WHY IS SETTLER STILL A THING

Oh my god. It makes me want to cry. I feel like it's worse than The Cage. I don't know whether it's because I always seem to be up against full parties whenever that map comes up or what, but it's the one map in this game that frustrates me to no end
I actually like Settler, and definitely more than The Cage.. How dare you compare anything to The Cage?!
Nice to see you just noticed after having engaged me in conversation for several days now. :|
I was actually going to say that a couple days ago, but only decided to now since you seem to be consistently posting again. Seems that little break you took helped.
BISH!

EDIT:
I was chatting with my roommate and for some reason neither of us could recall the H4 multiplayer UNSC aerial vehicle.

H3 had the Hornet, HR had the falcon, and H4 had... ?
Pti3Gp9.jpg

RIP

Woorloog

Banned
Oh man, i got Monolith in Team Slayer!
And damn it was a fun match. A rather good map, though with Infinity Slayer it has too many power weapons.
Also a tad small but it is fast so i'll forgive it for that.

Also got a damn nice shotgun kill. It has these cover pieces that are open at bottom, so i went after an enemy and crouch moved under one and shot him. And all that happened fast.

EDIT also, Settler is a fun map. Perhaps not a good one but i like it well enough. Better than Meltdown, Vortex and Exile...

Mistel

Banned
Thank you :)

As for how I did it. Luck. 100% Pure luck.

Settler sucks and needs removing asap.
You're very lucky then I'd never manage to do that, Settler does need to go honestly how no one spotted such a big flaw in the map is staggering.

Settler?
Oh you mean camp at the ridge with DMR
I never saw anything wrong with having advantageous positions on a map. So many people here complain about the ridge, but it's not like you can't fight it or find alternate ways around the map.

CE was all about holding positions on a map, but the thing that makes it stand out is that a single player can overtake a power position if they were skilled/aware enough (the weapon set lent itself to this; each weapon was powerful but required some skill -- each had a unique trait, furthering its usage). Thankfully, Halo 4 isn't Halo 3 so you actually have a chance to overtake such a seemingly OP position because of the consistency boost in weapons. It may not empower an individual player as much as CE, but at least it's an improvement over the past games, especially Halo 2's and Halo 3's requirement to teamshoot.

Woorloog

Banned
Settler's ridge is relatively easy to clear. In Infinity, with jetpacks, or just plain 'nades and some counter-shooting. Or with a Warthog.
Me, i don't like camping there, i'm too often the target of a clearing op otherwise...

I never saw anything wrong with having advantageous positions on a map. So many people here complain about the ridge, but it's not like you can't fight it or find alternate ways around the map.

CE was all about holding positions on a map, but the thing that makes it stand out is that a single player can overtake a power position if they were skilled/aware enough (the weapon set lent itself to this; each weapon was powerful but required some skill -- each had a unique trait, furthering its usage). Thankfully, Halo 4 isn't Halo 3 so you actually have a chance to overtake such a seemingly OP position because of the consistency boost in weapons. It may not empower an individual player as much as CE, but at least it's an improvement over the past games, especially Halo 2's and Halo 3's requirement to teamshoot.
Of course a corner stone of halos mp is holding map positions. My hate isn't so much the ridge in settler (though I can see why people hate it to a high degree) it's more when you are playing a team of decent players and you have randoms. The sheer amount of times I have spawned in the open only to be slaughterd by DMRs on the ridge is ridiculous. And good luck getting anywhere but your own base as the ridge has a complete advantage over the entire map. Add a team full of camo users and it's extremely difficult to retake the ridge or even survive a out of base spawn unless you're also with a half decent team. Taking a key map position is great and all but I think in the case of settler the ridge is to advantageous for the team that holds and easy for them to lock down defensively, if that makes sense. There isn't enough ways to counter the ridge apart from run blindly up it or nade spam it. Which a decent team will easily counter anyway.

Just asking but can you give an example of a halo 3 map that you feel has a op position?

Top Bottom