• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Fuchsdh

So I got to reading the retrospective on Halo at edge and I see this picture. Where is this from? I never remember seeing a picture like this.

Halo-x.jpg

It looks like Halo 2 but it's way too high quality to be from Halo 2 other then a hint of texture blurriness on the armor. Is it fanart or something? If so whoever did that did an amazing job. If it's a screenshot taken from Halo 2 then how did they get it to look that damn good and where did it come from?

Probably a very early shot. There was a similar image of a Marine in The Art of Halo where they were demoing self-shadowing and reflections, which got cut from the game.

ElRenoRaven

Probably a very early shot. There was a similar image of a Marine in The Art of Halo where they were demoing self-shadowing and reflections, which got cut from the game.

I really need to pick up The Art of Halo. Been meaning to forever but just never gotten around to it.

Fuchsdh

I really need to pick up The Art of Halo. Been meaning to forever but just never gotten around to it.

The Art of Halo and Art of Halo 3 are excellent books because they balance the concept art and beauty shots with some interesting behind-the-scenes info. I know they did a similar one for Halo 4 but they also put out another book at the same time, and I wasn't sure which was going to contain more BTS info (or if one was on the same caliber as the previous ones.)

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
So I got to reading the retrospective on Halo at edge and I see this picture. Where is this from? I never remember seeing a picture like this.

Halo-x.jpg

It looks like Halo 2 but it's way too high quality to be from Halo 2 other then a hint of texture blurriness on the armor. Is it fanart or something? If so whoever did that did an amazing job. If it's a screenshot taken from Halo 2 then how did they get it to look that damn good and where did it come from?

Press previews, June 2003. :)

My LIVE is expiring May 9th and I'm on the fence about renewing it. If I let my account die, can I eventually renew my subscription and still retain all of my stats, like tenure?

ElRenoRaven

Press previews, June 2003. :)

Wow. How did I ever miss it? You guys even back then just knew how to make some amazing looking games. I've never understood the hate you guys get graphics wise from folks. Never in a million years will I understand it. That's one reason I'm just chomping at the bit for Destiny. I can't wait to explore the amazing worlds you guys are creating.

Tzeentch

Sorry if a bit OT, but as anyone at 343i said anything about keeping halo pc and halo custom edition online after the gamespy closer?
-- Not that I've seen. There are fan efforts to create a new master server (I'm aware of at least two that are working now), but the problem is that it requires a host file redirect on the client side.

Mix

Sorry if a bit OT, but as anyone at 343i said anything about keeping halo pc and halo custom edition online after the gamespy closer?

My god I hope so, that's one of the only pc games I play.

EDIT 1: Halo 2 was truly a fantastic thing to behold and the collector's edition should become a standard for all hgalo games to follow. Halo 5 needs one on par with it, and Halo 2 anniversary especially. Also, has anyone watched GoldenBoy's speculation on Halo for 2014? He says that he thinks 343 will release a Halo 4 remater on Xbox one sometime in (I guess) August that will include Halo 2 anniversary but with Halo 4 multi and then Halo 5 this fall. I don't know I'm not too thrilled with that idea, personally.

EDIT 2.0: Here's the link if you want to watch it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixiYh9c5wEc

Chettlar

Banned
My god I hope so, that's one of the only pc games I play.

EDIT 1: Halo 2 was truly a fantastic thing to behold and the collector's edition should become a standard for all hgalo games to follow. Halo 5 needs one on par with it, and Halo 2 anniversary especially. Also, has anyone watched GoldenBoy's speculation on Halo for 2014? He says that he thinks 343 will release a Halo 4 remater on Xbox one sometime in (I guess) August that will include Halo 2 anniversary but with Halo 4 multi and then Halo 5 this fall. I don't know I'm not too thrilled with that idea, personally.

EDIT 2.0: Here's the link if you want to watch it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixiYh9c5wEc

I really, really doubt he's right. I think we could possibly see a multiplayer that is new but closely follows Halo 2's multiplayer, but as for being Halo 4's multiplayer, I don't think so.

And I'm going to say it again. Within the next two years, I think we will be seeing another ODST-esque Halo title. Don't know why, but I just keep getting that feeling.

Fuchsdh

Doesn't make sense to pile together releases like that... and why would you release an anniversary edition before the obvious anniversary?

Chettlar

Banned
Doesn't make sense to pile together releases like that... and why would you release an anniversary edition before the obvious anniversary?

Hm? Who said that?

Halo 2 Anniversary with Halo 4 multiplayer like that guy was suggesting could easily be released on, what was it, November 11th?

343 please make Forge less shitty in H5, H4 forge makes me cry.

Who was the person who suggested having numbers and things to help people know exactly where they are putting things? Like coordinates.

+25(y):-180(x):+200(z) kind of a thing would be really helpful when doing symmetrical maps.

If Halo 2 Anniversary has Halo 4 MP people would be insanely pissed. More so than Halo CEA not having Multiplayer.

Halo 2 MP was for many THE multiplayer title of that era. Not including it would be an awful choice. No way are 343i that dumb.

I firmly believe ntkrnl was on the money.

Halo 2 Anniversary with MP designed by Sabre and Certain Affinity Under 343 supervision
Halo 3 and 4 ported to Xbox One (maybe by Hired Gun?)
Halo 5 Beta with H2A
Bloomkamp x Spielberg Halo TV Show
Ridley Scott Halo Short (most likely using assets from Halo TV/FuD possibly his Suspense Horror Sci Fi style about The Flood)
Halo 5 Next Year

Be great if Halo 2 actually did have a extended ending - Extra level that was chief getting back to earth. (always felt odd to me that the game ended with the player playing as Arby.)

Chettlar

Banned
If Halo 2 Anniversary has Halo 4 MP people would be insanely pissed. More so than Halo CEA not having Multiplayer.

Halo 2 MP was for many THE multiplayer title of that era. Not including it would be an awful choice. No way are 343i that dumb.

I firmly believe ntkrnl was on the money.

Halo 2 Anniversary with MP designed by Sabre and Certain Affinity Under 343 supervision
Halo 3 and 4 ported to Xbox One (maybe by Hired Gun?)
Halo 5 Beta with H2A
Bloomkamp x Spielberg Halo TV Show
Ridley Scott Halo Short (most likely using assets from Halo TV/FuD possibly his Suspense Horror Sci Fi style about The Flood)
Halo 5 Next Year

Be great if Halo 2 actually did have a extended ending - Extra level that was chief getting back to earth. (always felt odd to me that the game ended with the player playing as Arby.)

I thought Hired Gun was dissolved, wasn't it?

Porting Halo 3 over is the only part of the ntkrnl stuff that I find confusing.

I don't see the point in it.

The only way it makes sense to me is if they are planning to release the whole Halo series on PC (via Steam) and because they will be W8 titles porting them across would be easier.

But in that scenario Halo CE:A, Reach and ODST are also shoe in's for the port and not including them in the "War Collection" is mindblowing because throwing together a £250 Special edition that was kind of like "The Story so far" that included

Halo Reach
Halo CE:A
Halo 2 Anniversary
Halo 3 ODST
Halo 3
Halo 4
Halo 5 Beta

would be an incredible bundle.

Chettlar

Banned

The only way it makes sense to me is if they are planning to release the whole Halo series on PC (via Steam) and because they will be W8 titles porting them across would be easier.

But in that scenario Halo CE:A, Reach and ODST are also shoe in's for the port and not including them in the "War Collection" is mindblowing because throwing together a £250 Special edition that was kind of like "The Story so far" that included

Halo Reach
Halo 2 Anniversary
Halo 3 ODST
Halo 3
Halo 4
Halo 5 Beta

My guess is we'll be seeing a later reincarnation of the "Origins bundle," but they don't want to do that just now because that is a crazy amount of games.

What I'd love to see (all of these are 1080p/60fps):

War Bundle:
Halo 2 Anniversary
Halo 3 HD (includes all multiplayer maps)
Halo 3: ODST (and even if not bundled, a free DLC for those who bought the war bundle or $5 for those who didn't).
Halo 4 HD (includes all multiplayer maps)

Origins Bundle:
Halo CEA (but this time including the multiplayer to make it worth buying again, considering people may not be all to eager to just buy CEA just for the campaign again. I mean that would mean some people would have quadruple dipped by that time [original, PC, Anniversary, and in this bundle])
Halo Reach HD
Halo Wars

EDIT: also, um, £250? That is a ton of money. I say something like £70 for each bundle.

My guess is we'll be seeing a later reincarnation of the "Origins bundle," but they don't want to do that just now because that is a crazy amount of games.

What I'd love to see (all of these are 1080p/60fps):

War Bundle:
Halo 2 Anniversary
Halo 3 HD (includes all multiplayer maps)
Halo 3: ODST (and even if not bundled, a free DLC for those who bought the war bundle or $5 for those who didn't).
Halo 4 HD (includes all multiplayer maps)

Origins Bundle:
Halo CEA (but this time including the multiplayer to make it worth buying again, considering people may not be all to eager to just buy CEA just for the campaign again. I mean that would mean some people would have quadruple dipped by that time [original, PC, Anniversary, and in this bundle])
Halo Reach HD
Halo Wars

EDIT: also, um, £250? That is a ton of money. I say something like £70 for each bundle.

40 x 7 = 280

£250 for 7 games + lots of dlc seems fair.

I could see them maybe going as low as £200 for something like that but not anything under.

Chettlar

Banned
40 x 7 = 280

£250 for 7 games + lots of dlc seems fair.

I could see them maybe going as low as £200 for something like that but not anything under.

Yeah, I know, but these are bundles. You don't release a bundle at 40 per game.

If each game was individual, then sure. But you also have to factor in the fact that most of these (Reach, 4, 3) are all presumably getting 1080p, 60fps, and maybe (hopefully) improved texture quality. Really, they're just ports of a bunch of pretty old games. No way I'm paying that kind of price for each one.

Halo 2 Anniversary and Halo CEA's multiplayer are the only real overhauls. Even CEA, an entire remake was only $40.

Everyone's getting pretty comfortable saying that H2A multiplayer will be it's own thing and not apart of 4s multiplayer.

They're not going to release DLC for a game on a different console, and Halo 4 isn't selling at a rate that warrants a port to next-gen.

H2A: Remastered campaign, theater mode, 8+ remade multiplayer maps, dedis, 60 fps. Bookmark me.

Chettlar

Banned
Everyone's getting pretty comfortable saying that H2A multiplayer will be it's own thing and not apart of 4s multiplayer.

There's NO way they aren't.

They'd be crucified, and they know it.

Plus, why would they do Halo 4 over H2A? The Reach situation doesn't apply any more. There is currently no established Halo multiplayer on Xbox One right now. If they ported H4's multi, they might as well just port H2's multi.

The Flash

Banned

Let's think this through.
1. Having H2A use H4's multiplayer requires porting over H4
2. H4 had its good points but was not the best received Halo game in recent memory
3. H2's Xbox LIVE code should be able to be reconstructed in some form or fashion
4. At least 3 people who "work" at 343i regularly post in this thread
5. 343i are not stupid
6. Phil Spencer has repeatedly said that if H2A was "real", the most important thing for them would be to get the multiplayer right
7. Profit???
8. It's the 10th anniversary of the game that made Xbox LIVE what it is

RoKKeR

If the are doing H2A there is no way in hell that it's using Halo 4's multiplayer.

I will eat a family of crows if that happens. Maybe even the entire crow population.

Halo Reach
Halo 2 Anniversary
Halo 3 ODST
Halo 3
Halo 4
Halo 5 Beta

I fin the beta part hard to believe. The rumor was Dec,i just dont see it.

RoKKeR

That, along with the Halo 3 and Halo 4 ports and "War Collection" or whatever were the things I found hard to believe when it came to nktrnl's leaks.

As much as I would love, LOVE, a port of Halo 3 to play on Xbox One, I just don't see it happening, especially if they are pushing H2A as sort of the big Halo release for the year.

Halo 3... <3

A beta included in Halo 2 Anniversary makes sense.

It's not like the Beta would be live in December just a "way in" for people. Having a Beta for Halo 5 makes perfect sense. If any title needs it it's Halo 5. Halo 4 shows these closed beta's simply don't work. If we got a Halo 4 beta during the period where the game was still malleable and 343i listened too player feedback the game could be very different today.

The reason Beta's don't usually work is because when they release it's a month or two before the retail. Like Gears 3 which had a beta 3 weeks before launch. Surely the title had already gone gold at that point.

RoKKeR

It's not like the Beta would be live in December just a "way in" for people. Having a Beta for Halo 5 makes perfect sense. If any title needs it it's Halo 5. Halo 4 shows these closed beta's simply don't work. If we got a Halo 4 beta during the period where the game was still malleable and 343i listened too player feedback the game could be very different today.

The reason Beta's don't usually work is because when they release it's a month or two before the retail. Like Gears 3 which had a beta 3 weeks before launch. Surely the title had already gone gold at that point.

Ah yes, a beta invite with H2A makes sense, just not the December bit. And they need to do it early enough, like you said, so they can make some substantial changes and react to feedback.

Yea i was thinking it will be live in Dec, that is what i found hard to believe. I guess it would make sense if it's just a pass and maybe in the spring next year they have it. You think that is enough time to make changes that are meaningful though? If halo 4 had it in spring 2013 i dont think they would have time to take out perks and all the other stuff that ruined the game.

I'd like to be able to play all the Halo games on Xbox One.

And now you can with Halo Universe. Experience all the exciting co-operative and competitive multiplayer modes from the outstanding Xbox and Xbox 360 titles. Proximity chat with your fellow Halo community members in a virtual hub world where every Halo game and every Halo group has a home.

Yea i was thinking it will be live in Dec, that is what i found hard to believe. I guess it would make sense if it's just a pass and maybe in the spring next year they have it. You think that is enough time to make changes that are meaningful though? If halo 4 had it in spring 2013 i dont think they would have time to take out perks and all the other stuff that ruined the game.

Maybe it will be December.

If Halo 2 Anniversary launches in September (10 years to the day) a Beta launching in December seems fairly reasonable.

Halo 4 Launched November 2012. Lets say they started early work on Halo 5 when Normal working year resumed in January 2013. December 2014 is almost 2 Years later. If Halo 2 Anniversary and H3/H4 ports are all done out of house then that's 2 years dedicated to making Halo 5. Multiplayer must be in some playable form today. They did have that event recently in the office.

Lets say ntkrnl was on the money and it's 12 months between H2A and H5. So we pencil Halo 5 in for November 2015. 11 month would allow some hefty levels of modification from Beta to "Going Gold"

RoKKeR

And now you can with Halo Universe. Experience all the exciting co-operative and competitive multiplayer modes from the outstanding Xbox and Xbox 360 titles. Proximity chat with your fellow Halo community members in a virtual hub world where every Halo game and every Halo group has a home.

Can't handle how great even the idea of this is. Stahp

ElRenoRaven

Yup. Just give me a collection of all the Halo games currently out with online co-op. Hell I don't even need the multiplayer. Just give me the campaigns with sweet sweet online co-op loving and I'd be happy.

They're not going to release DLC for a game on a different console, and Halo 4 isn't selling at a rate that warrants a port to next-gen.

H2A: Remastered campaign, theater mode, 8+ remade multiplayer maps, dedis, 60 fps. Bookmark me.

There's NO way they aren't.

They'd be crucified, and they know it.

Plus, why would they do Halo 4 over H2A? The Reach situation doesn't apply any more. There is currently no established Halo multiplayer on Xbox One right now. If they ported H4's multi, they might as well just port H2's multi.

Let's think this through.
1. Having H2A use H4's multiplayer requires porting over H4
2. H4 had its good points but was not the best received Halo game in recent memory
3. H2's Xbox LIVE code should be able to be reconstructed in some form or fashion
4. At least 3 people who "work" at 343i regularly post in this thread
5. 343i are not stupid
6. Phil Spencer has repeatedly said that if H2A was "real", the most important thing for them would be to get the multiplayer right
7. Profit???
8. It's the 10th anniversary of the game that made Xbox LIVE what it is

If the are doing H2A there is no way in hell that it's using Halo 4's multiplayer.

I will eat a family of crows if that happens. Maybe even the entire crow population.
I've also gone through this numerous times. Of course it makes sense to make a stand alone MP, I hope they do. I've seen all the evidence you guys have which says they will.
The backlash from the community would be insane if they didn't, it just seems illogical.
However, I personally aren't getting my hopes up until a official announcement at E3 or whatever. We've all been let down before after jumping on the hype train.
Sure from our view it's a sure thing, but until it's official there's always that 10% doubt in my mind.

Didn't play reach the other day because I had people round and I was also playing garbage since I hadn't played an FPS in months.
It's cool man. I've actually been playing 4 again. Some part of me still wants to unlock everything in 4 and/or get 100% commendations in Reach, but there's no way to do either before September 9th.

Chettlar

Banned

In cases like Gears it has nothing to with the game. More with servers and testing them to make sure they can take the load.

Not justifying it, but playtesting isn't the only reason. I totally agree Halo 5 needs a beta while the multi is still malleable.

I've also gone through this numerous times. Of course it makes sense to make a stand alone MP, I hope they do. I've seen all the evidence you guys have which says they will.
The backlash from the community would be insane if they didn't, it just seems illogical.
However, I personally aren't getting my hopes up until a official announcement at E3 or whatever. We've all been let down before after jumping on the hype train.
Sure from our view it's a sure thing, but until it's official there's always that 10% doubt in my mind.

"Dispite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, I shall continue with my pessimism."

Lol, ok breh. Be like that.

I kinda getchu. Been burned after being all hype too, but still.

ElRenoRaven

Damn I'm sad now. Went to play Halo 2 vista again and forgot that the windows 8.1 Nvidia update broke the game. All the texture glitches make me sad. I can't even play it now. I could play the xbox version again but that silhouette burn in makes playing it a pain. Not to mention that version would have the insane texture pop in. :(

Top Bottom