• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

wwm0nkey

Damn I'm sad now. Went to play Halo 2 vista again and forgot that the windows 8.1 Nvidia update broke the game. All the texture glitches make me sad. I can't even play it now. I could play the xbox version again but that silhouette burn in makes playing it a pain. Not to mention that version would have the insane texture pop in. :(
Yup H2V broke for me too when I switched to my 750ti. Works fine on my 470gtx though :/

Omni

Damn I'm sad now. Went to play Halo 2 vista again and forgot that the windows 8.1 Nvidia update broke the game. All the texture glitches make me sad. I can't even play it now. I could play the xbox version again but that silhouette burn in makes playing it a pain. Not to mention that version would have the insane texture pop in. :(
Wait what? Which update is this?

Should I be careful of what I install?

I see people mention the ghosting or what ever it is if you are playing it on 360 but i never noticed it for some reason.

"Dispite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, I shall continue with my pessimism."

Lol, ok breh. Be like that.

I kinda getchu. Been burned after being all hype too, but still.
????????

We have evidence, not confirmation. Until then I'm entitled to some doubt.
The "lol, ok breh" wasn't really necessary

Chettlar

Banned
????????

We have evidence, not confirmation. Until then I'm entitled to some doubt.
The "lol, ok breh" wasn't really necessary

I'm saying it isn't reasonable to think that, and you literally say you know it's unreasonable, but you're still going to think that. Kinda odd.

What? What happens when you try to play?

Now I'm worried about getting a new graphics card. :(

Popped in H4 for first time in, like, forever... it's still bad.

Thanks for reading.

lol that was random
bugsjpg.png

The Flash

Banned
I've also gone through this numerous times. Of course it makes sense to make a stand alone MP, I hope they do. I've seen all the evidence you guys have which says they will.
The backlash from the community would be insane if they didn't, it just seems illogical.
However, I personally aren't getting my hopes up until a official announcement at E3 or whatever. We've all been let down before after jumping on the hype train.
Sure from our view it's a sure thing, but until it's official there's always that 10% doubt in my mind.

I get what you're saying. You just gotta...believe man ;)

ElRenoRaven

I'm saying it isn't reasonable to think that, and you literally say you know it's unreasonable, but you're still going to think that. Kinda odd.

What? What happens when you try to play?

Now I'm worried about getting a new graphics card. :(

Basically right after Windows 8.1 Nvidia released some new drivers and it broke the game.

This is what happens. The only way to fix it is to roll your drivers back. It's never been fixed. Makes a couple levels almost unplayable.

Broken Halo 2

I see people mention the ghosting or what ever it is if you are playing it on 360 but i never noticed it for some reason.

It's not evident the entire time. The easiest way to see it is to run through the rooftops on Outskirts and proceed to cry as the city skyline gets imprinted on the sky for the next two levels.

ElRenoRaven

Reach Brutes, Halo 3 Prophets.

Can't see them developing new assets.

I could see those with tweaks. H1A used Reach tank for example but modified it leaving a black hole where the turret was on the tank. That was really lazy I thought. Couldn't even patch it over to look green. Just a black hole where that turret was.

Omni

No.

I want to see brutes with real hair. Next gen and all that. They can totally do it.
"No"?

What do you mean "no"? I wasn't asking a question. They aren't going to redesign assets when they already have perfectly good ones available to them. Like PsychoRaven said, it'll more likely be old assets with tweaks.

Chettlar

Banned
"No"?

What do you mean "no"? I wasn't asking a question. They aren't going to redesign assets when they already have perfectly good ones available to them. Like PsychoRaven said, it'll be old assets with tweaks.

I meant it more as I "Noooo, I hope that doesn't happen. :(" sorry.

I really think they ought to go all out on this. Halo 2's brutes look so different from the other ones. It would be so overly noticeable. The Reach brutes don't even have hair.

I do wonder how they're going to do Tartarus though. Should be interesting.

Ahh, HD High Charity. Mmmm. Wonder if they'll redesign the look of the Prophets. That and what version of Brutes they'll go with.
Battling on high charity again would be awesome, in HD of course.
IMO for the remake:
Halo 3 brutes without power armour
Prophets looked pretty similar from 2 to 3, just update them.

Halo Reach Brutes were the best. Bungie's always called them an ape-rhino hybrid and Reach was the first time they looked at all rhino. Y'all suck.

FyreWulff

Managing to get an assassination on a Brute in Reach still feels awesome, even though it's a bit arbitrary that they become immune to it if they ever see you. It was obviously done to keep people from just waiting for the leap animation and bonking them in the back.

Managing to get an assassination on a Brute in Reach still feels awesome, even though it's a bit arbitrary that they become immune to it if they ever see you. It was obviously done to keep people from just waiting for the leap animation and bonking them in the back.
I've always been curious about this. Is it set so if the AI notices you, you cannot assassinate them? Or is it just chance?

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Just taking a walk down memory lane:
halo3_58831195_Full1_zps2ff5e914.jpg

I remember taking this picture, it actually ended up being used as a splash for the Bungie Weekly Update.

I freaked, Hard.

FyreWulff

I've always been curious about this. Is it set so if the AI notices you, you cannot assassinate them? Or is it just chance?

If the Brute is aware of you, they're immune to assassinations or beatdowns. If they're unaware of you, you can do either to them.

I think if someone else is distracting the Brute, you can do it then too. They just can't know about the assassinating player's presence.

Woorloog

Banned
If the Brute is aware of you, they're immune to assassinations or beatdowns. If they're unaware of you, you can do either to them.

I think if someone else is distracting the Brute, you can do it then too. They just can't know about the assassinating player's presence.

That explains why i've managed it just once.

Why didn't they allow Hunter assassinations, considering they did start prototyping the concept with Hunters (didn't they? I recall seeing a video clip on Tsavo Highway where the player "boards" a Hunter. This was in a video (PAX Panel?) about Reach)?

That explains why it's fairly rare, thanks.

Why didn't they allow Hunter assassinations, considering they did start prototyping the concept with Hunters (didn't they? I recall seeing a video clip on Tsavo Highway where the player "boards" a Hunter. This was in a video (PAX Panel?) about Reach)?
Taking a stab and saying it's because hunters are pretty easy to side step and get behind. They wanted hunters to have that "oh fuck" feel when playing against them and it would be taken away if everyone's sidestepping for easy assassinations/one hit kills.

ElRenoRaven

Very interesting. I never realized that. Probably because I just love to go to town on brutes. I don't know why but they're just too fun not to beat the hell out of. I know most have always hated Brutes but I find they have a certain charm to them. Where as Elietes were agile and quick almost samurai like Brutes were more like a boxer. You knew that they were going to beat you down and weren't ones to shy away from you. I actually kind of admire them. They were tough as nails. Dumb but tough as nails.

Taking a stab and saying it's because hunters are pretty easy to side step and get behind. They wanted hunters to have that "oh fuck" feel when playing against them and it would be taken away if everyone's sidestepping for easy assassinations/one hit kills.

I'd also say another reason would be because unlike other enemies you also see hunters always in pairs. Also if you notice you can almost never catch them by surprise. I'd say it's probably due to them not actually being one creature but a colony of creatures taking the shape they do. You have to figure they pretty much have eyes everywhere if you get my drift. Hence it would be pretty hard to sneak up on them.

m23

Personally I think it's a hell of a lot better than it was at release. Those like 9 months of not playing really paid off. Came back and was surprised

If only it actually launched like that. The legendary playlist and the BR only gametypes are pretty great. Are they still in the game? Haven't touched my 360 in months.

Fuchsdh

If only it actually launched like that. The legendary playlist and the BR only gametypes are pretty great. Are they still in the game? Haven't touched my 360 in months.

Yeppers. Set loadouts and no personal ordnance* are options in most of the playlists now.

*Or single-use AA ordnance mechanism which I personally like but don't know what you would call it shorthand.

ElRenoRaven

Yeppers. Set loadouts and no personal ordnance* are options in most of the playlists now.

*Or single-use AA ordnance mechanism which I personally like but don't know what you would call it shorthand.

Yup. The game plays so much better when you can get those modes too. I tend to play Big Team and it's almost always infinity slayer still. The changes though are some of the reason I give 343 the benefit of the doubt and believe that they will maybe go back toward a more traditional Halo style with 5.

The irony about Halo 4 playlists is that they are at odds with some of the more overt incentive systems. For example, there are emblems and armor locked until weapon commendations are maxed, and Infinity modes are most conducive to those ends. Voting for Pro gametypes is going to completely screw someone trying to get Pulse Grenade or Promethean Suppressor commendations.

As lame as it may sound, most of my motivation in playing Halo 4 comes from trying to unlock all in-game items, so I will always vote for the option that best serves that purpose, even though my play preference is for the more traditional modes.

The main problems here are that the playlists, as a result of being designed to please everyone in mingling Infinity and Pro modes instead annoy everyone , and the overt incentive systems shouldn't be designed to produce the kind of dichotomy I described above.

FyreWulff

In my personal opinion: 3 years is a nice sweet spot for having development time for the game to come together, and for the previous game to realize it's full potential. In matchmaking, the progression often goes

Year 1: The most widely swinging changes are made to the game. The playerbase responds better to changes since they haven't had time to gel yet. Through this period is where you usually get the DLC, so the game is constantly changing on what you need to know. Year 2: As the sustain team spends less time bugfixing existing playlists, new things are tried. Historically, this is stuff where experimental playlists like H2 Challenge, 1v1, Maption Sack, etc come into being Year 3: The best playlists are figured out at this point and the worst ones are usually deleted. The game is fairly stable at this point and really finds itself Predictable, but refined. This is the year that's right in the sweet spot of being stable, but also getting a bit stale to those that have been playing for a while, and starts to make people hungry for the next release. A lot of people's good memories are from Halo 2 in 2006-7 and Halo 3 in 2009-10.

The two year intentional cycle harmed both Reach and 4:

- Reach's experimental phase was cut short due to Bungie having to hand off the game and leave it in a playable state in case it was never updated again. It took months for the game's sustain to truly spin up again via 343, then THAT got cut short by 4's development becoming the main focus. Reach never got it's third year of where it ever really found itself. Game has a split personality to this day.
- Since Halo 4 needed to come out in a specific window because dat income per period increase, clearly came in hot as hell. Many features of the game simply did not work or were bugged out, which negatively affected the game's reception needlessly.

Hopefully MS learned their lesson and will give mainline Halo games the cook time and manpower they deserve, instead of just looking at the graphs.

ElRenoRaven

In my personal opinion: 3 years is a nice sweet spot for having development time for the game to come together, and for the previous game to realize it's full potential. In matchmaking, the progression often goes

Year 1: The most widely swinging changes are made to the game. The playerbase responds better to changes since they haven't had time to gel yet. Through this period is where you usually get the DLC, so the game is constantly changing on what you need to know.

Year 2: As the sustain team spends less time bugfixing existing playlists, new things are tried. Historically, this is stuff where experimental playlists like H2 Challenge, 1v1, Maption Sack, etc come into being

Year 3: The best playlists are figured out at this point and the worst ones are usually deleted. The game is fairly stable at this point and really finds itself Predictable, but refined. This is the year that's right in the sweet spot of being stable, but also getting a bit stale to those that have been playing for a while, and starts to make people hungry for the next release. A lot of people's good memories are from Halo 2 in 2006-7 and Halo 3 in 2009-10.

- Reach's experimental phase was cut short due to Bungie having to hand off the game and leave it in a playable state in case it was never updated again. It took months for the game's sustain to truly spin up again via 343, then THAT got cut short by 4's development becoming the main focus. Reach never got it's third year of where it ever really found itself. Game has a split personality to this day.

- Since Halo 4 needed to come out in a specific window because dat income per period increase, clearly came in hot as hell. Many features of the game simply did not work or were bugged out, which negatively affected the game's reception needlessly.

No doubt about that either. You also had the added issue of 343 trying to gel together as a studio. That isn't easy no doubt. So when you combine all that I'm actually surprised Halo 4 came out as well as it did to be honest. It could have been a hell of a lot worse.

I second this, if they noticed you is game over for assassinations but still vulnerable for one hit on their back.

Need a coffee for this

When you have a franchise that's been around as long as Halo and does not need to reinvent the wheel between releases, 3 year dev cycles feel too long. With 3 year cycles people expect big changes, so when we don't see them people are left questioning why the need for such long development cycles when other devs are releasing their franchise games on shorter cycles and packed with more content. This is the underlying issue Halo had to face the moment CoD came out with annualized releases, showing the staying power of a constantly updated and maintained franchise. This is how I see it:

Year 1: Everything you said + the reality that competition is FIERCE. We're usually debating populations in here, so tell me.. what population will be left in a period where so many games are competing for that multiplayer space? I don't want to be playing the same Halo game where the only updates I see are Matchmaking playlists to include gametypes that I don't even want to play.. You gave the example of the 1v1 playlist in Halo 2, but that's exactly the problem with what you're saying IMO. You're forcing whatever remaining players you have to play in gametypes you want them to play, taking a gamble.

For me, a single year is a long time and the life of a single multiplayer game is decreasing these days unless you develop them in mind as a service (ie: PvZ Garden Warfare). What you're saying would be great if they're considering it as a service to be expanded throughout several years, but if they're going to repeat what we've seen the past two generations then I believe 3 years is too long for a franchise that's been around for over 10 years.

Year 2: As the sustain team spends less time bugfixing existing playlists, new things are tried. Historically, this is stuff where experimental playlists like H2 Challenge, 1v1, Maption Sack, etc come into being

Why can't this be Year 1 and/or why can't we have a CGB already? An entire year to test out playlists that I may or may not be interested in? These are gambles that we've seen have gradually lost them fans. Look at how popular games that let you create whatever you want are.. This is the direction Halo multiplayer needs to continue in, while still maintaining those core fundamentals for "classic" gametypes.

Year 3: The best playlists are figured out at this point and the worst ones are usually deleted. The game is fairly stable at this point and really finds itself Predictable, but refined. This is the year that's right in the sweet spot of being stable, but also getting a bit stale to those that have been playing for a while, and starts to make people hungry for the next release. A lot of people's good memories are from Halo 2 in 2006-7 and Halo 3 in 2009-10.

Halo has been around for over 10 years, so this shouldn't be the case any longer. Why should it be by year 3 that the game finds itself predictable and gains more stability? What standards are you holding the devs and playerbase to? Also, getting a bit stale by year 3? Again, Halo's been around for ages so I think a new game will get stale much sooner than by the end of its third year. I mean, look how hungry people are now for a new Halo and Halo 4 didn't even come out two years ago.. Sure we're in a new generation of hardware, but that's precisely my point; times are different these days. You have to consider the surrounding demographic of players and competing games if you want a beloved franchise to remain dormant without a new release for 3 years.

I can't blame 343 because of their position with the studio, so these are special cases of forming a new team while Bungie was moving away from Halo. These years represented the transition period of this franchise, so I don't think they serve as a good indication of what you're saying.

Ideally, I'd like for the multiplayer to be a separate entity and to be considered as a service, but even that would be a gamble because what if it was based in Halo 3 settings? What options do I have if I don't like the base gameplay for the next game? Historically, these things haven't drastically changed within the life of a single Halo game, so all I would have left is either to leave the franchise or wait 3 long years? I don't think the people in power would want their fanbase to even think about those two options.

It always sounds like a shorter idea in my head

then I write the post and go "well that got to be a big post real quick"

So you are basically describing COD year two dev cicle but without one dev game every year.

MS rotation had Halo and Gears to that cicle and recently it looks like they are trying to rotate Titanfall and Halo.

FyreWulff

So you are basically describing COD year two dev cicle but without one dev game every year.

MS rotation had Halo and Gears to that cicle and recently it looks like they are trying to rotate Titanfall and Halo.

Even CoD is going to 3 years now, they're rotating 3 devs as of Ghosts. So it'll go Sledgehammer - Treyarch - Infinity Ward - repeat

Yeah, two-year dev cycles rotating with Halo Wars
(pls Phil)
and another FPS would be alright.
Even CoD is going to 3 years now, they're rotating 3 devs as of Ghosts. So it'll go Sledgehammer - Treyarch - Infinity Ward - repeat

So when that happens with Halo, I'll be fine with three year dev cycles. Until then, one big Halo FPS release every 3 years is far too long for my liking.

Top Bottom