• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Yeah, two-year dev cycles rotating with Halo Wars
(pls Phil)
and another FPS would be alright.

So when that happens with Halo, I'll be fine with three year dev cycles. Until then, one big Halo FPS release every 3 years is far too long for my liking.

This hasn't been the case since 2009.

So, do we think Halo Anniversary (assuming it exists) will have a pixel perfect campaign like Halo CEA? Or do you think they may make tweaks in SP, but allow the MP to be the pixel perfect port?

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a 'directors cut' of the SP, allowing the game to be what Bungie had in mind.. possibly tweaking the Brute AI, etc. No huge changes though, as I want it to still feel like Halo 2.. but perhaps fixing a few broken sections, and maybe adding in something new here and there would be welcome.

So, do we think Halo Anniversary (assuming it exists) will have a pixel perfect campaign like Halo CEA? Or do you think they may make tweaks in SP, but allow the MP to be the pixel perfect port?

I am worried about that, it must not be a simple port but a completely remake of the game if they are planning to launch it for the xbox one.

I was kinda disappointed abut HALO CEA just being reskinned Halo Reach models.

Fuchsdh

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a 'directors cut' of the SP, allowing the game to be what Bungie had in mind.. possibly tweaking the Brute AI, etc. No huge changes though, as I want it to still feel like Halo 2.. but perhaps fixing a few broken sections, and maybe adding in something new here and there would be welcome.

At what points do those improvements fundamentally alter the game though? I think CE's ability to have essentially the exact same experience (yes we can quibble on this a bit) was one of its highlights.

Chettlar

Banned
Managing to get an assassination on a Brute in Reach still feels awesome, even though it's a bit arbitrary that they become immune to it if they ever see you. It was obviously done to keep people from just waiting for the leap animation and bonking them in the back.

Well that explains why I've never gotten one. Why are they different like that?

Chettlar

Banned

I actually hope they do that.

Halo 2 Anniversary: Director's Cut would be awesome.

ElRenoRaven

I'm surprised that the hunters one the final one. The battlewagon's seem really overpowered with that incarceration cannon and their general abilities.

Yea. That canon is just nasty against hunters. I'm shocked it was as close in the battles as it was. That brings up a good point though about Halo 4. Unlike past games a few of the weapons just really seemed brokenly OP'd such as the Incineration Cannon.

AlStrong

I am worried about that, it must not be a simple port but a completely remake of the game if they are planning to launch it for the xbox one.

I was kinda disappointed abut HALO CEA just being reskinned Halo Reach models.

Yeah, same here. If they reaaaally wanted that vanilla experience, then it should just be completely separate as an engine and a game (basic port of H2V).

The dual renderer in CEA was cute for switching back & forth in realtime, but it's rather wasteful of resources while also limiting themselves to the capabilities of the old engine.

Sure, a separate engine (e.g. Halo 4 engine) would require full remaking/tweaking of the levels, but that's pretty much what they did anyway for CEA geometry. At least with a new engine then they could at least properly plan and support something like 2-4 player co-op with non-hacked-in online, better animations... On the other hand, A.I. wouldn't be quite 1:1, not that they shouldn't tweak things like the sniper alley & brute behaviour anyway. *shrug*

Physics in Halo 2 was handled with Havok as well, so I'm not sure there's much worth mimicking 100% (in the same sense as CEA's pseudo-physics) - get it close enough with the latest Havok package suite.

/armchair. I can dream.

Chettlar

Banned
So basically, in the matches where the knights used their incineration cannons a ton, they won, but in the last one, where they suddenly hardly used them at all, they lost.

Same with the hunters. Especially in the 5v5 and 10v10 I was like, um, guys, why aren't you using your plasma cannons? They knights are destroying you with their cannons.

Then suddenly in 20v20 the hunters start using their cannons a ton and the knights hardly use their at all.

lmfao Chatter strikes again!

Wtf. How did I even...

Mistel

Banned
Isn't that Armor Lock?
Oops.
Yea. That canon is just nasty against hunters. I'm shocked it was as close in the battles as it was. That brings up a good point though about Halo 4. Unlike past games a few of the weapons just really seemed brokenly OP'd such as the Incineration Cannon.
I'd argue that a vast majority of the forerunner weapons are like that such as the binary rifle. But I'm honestly surprised that they took out the hunters that well. I mean they're all broken if that's the case I hope they don't come back like that again.

belushy

Banned
That AI video is pretty cool. Reminds me how I wish they would allow us to place AI units in forge. Essentially allowing us to make our own Spartan Ops/Campaign missions if paired with terrain editing or a PC editor.

edit: And Incarceration Cannon made me laugh... <3 Storm

Chettlar

Banned
That AI video is pretty cool. Reminds me how I wish they would allow us to place AI units in forge. Essentially allowing us to make our own Spartan Ops/Campaign missions if paired with terrain editing or a PC editor.

edit: And Incarceration Cannon made me laugh... <3 Storm

That would be incredible.

Tzeentch

The dual renderer in CEA was cute for switching back & forth in realtime, but it's rather wasteful of resources while also limiting themselves to the capabilities of the old engine.
-- Personally, I really liked the switcher. Sometimes I like playing in the original style, warts and all. And it helps keep my rose colored glasses in check when you start thinking "this doesn't look that much better."

-- By running the original engine you also stay VERY VERY close to the original gameplay in all respects, which is important for the nostalgia factor.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Halo 4 rock art designer guy makes chocolate in the off season confirmed?

tumblr_n4fhg9YxRq1r539hzo1_500.jpg

@lenoxcool 3 hgamer
First day here at 343 Industries and I couldn't be more grateful for the opportunity. Excited to bring more eSports to the table.

Hopefully this means competitive halo is back, first step should be to bring back glorious Invasion/fixing bro spawning in H5.

Then halo will be truly saved.

jem0208

I'm getting more and more excited for Halo 5.

343's attitude towards it and all that they have said about mistakes they made with 4 (tbh I loved 4 but I could still see the problems with it) has been really encouraging. Now all these eSports players they have been adding is further adding to my confidence that they are going to seriously deliver with Halo 5. Massively looking forward to E3.

Top Bottom