• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Enfinit

I used to play on the default sensitivity, but then I realized you turn around a helluva lot faster with a higher sensitivity. Early into Reach I started playing on sensitivity 8, and I just kept playing until I got good at it. I sucked for a long, long time, but it's worth it now.

senador

Banned
I never finished Spartan Ops so I just watched all the cinematics just now. Pretty good. Visually impressive. The overall story was fine. Dialog was cringeworthy. Sarah Palmer....totally hate her. Her writing was terrible. Could have had a cool female lead there but kinda blew. I'd love to see more cinematics like that though.

Vico

The last Spartan Ops episode had the best missions. The third one and last one in particular had this perfect Halo variety.

Mission 3 had three distincts parts, a bit like the best Halo missions. You had something on foot, then vehicular combat, and then you had a chase with a timer (I think). And the last level had that mysterious feeling of discovering something buried and that surprising elements of gameplay (the weird gravity thing in particular).

But I agree, three missions per episode would have been better.

Oh, and...

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/467904301541502977

Which now-marginalized genres do you think might see a resurgence this gen?

Phil Spencer said:
RTS on console

a-chance.gif

TheOddOne

Given the way MS has been binning all their in house engines and porting remakes over to Unreal and making new versions of games on Unreal: I'm going to take a wild guess and say there's a decent chance the next Halo is running on Unreal 4.

This is entirely speculation, based off the fact at how much buddy buddy MS has gotten with Unreal and how it'd logically make sense to be able to move employees between various MS studios without having to retrain them.

The other thing that would make sense is that it's a new engine but still uses the tag API and data style from the previous engines, hence important bits, but everything else under the hood is new 343 engine code.

tl;dr honk honk honk honk
Honk honk honk.

Woorloog

Banned
What sensitivity do you guys play on?

4 or 5 depending on the game.
I remember when playing Halo 3 and burning through Lone Wolves ranks, i upped my sensitivity a lot. 6, 7, then even it wasn't enough. I don't recall where i stopped at, and why i stopped at playing at high sensitivity at all.

I also remember using the lefty triggers for a while for some reason.

So how the heck is MP going to work in the MC collection? Co-op campaign? Customs? Forge? Competitive? Custom Server Browser?

Hmm... So many questions...

Blueblur1

So how the heck is MP going to work in the MC collection? Co-op campaign? Customs? Forge? Competitive? Custom Server Browser?

Hmm... So many questions...

I'm not going to worry about any of that yet. I'm still not too sure if we'll get any multiplayer regardless of what ntkrnl posted. MP could happen for Halo 2 but I doubt they'd put a ton of work into with Halo 5 releasing a year later. It's got me thinking that if there is any MP maybe it'll be a small subset of modes and maps that'll function as a test bed for Halo 5. Or there's nothing except for a short Halo 5 beta.

Fuchsdh

Age of Empires plz

On consoles? I'd much rather have Halo Wars 2. On PC? Yeah, Age of Empires.

RTS are one of those things that don't really age that well for me. In the original AoE you didn't have idle villager buttons, couldn't queue, and would lose builders being the buildings they made when they completed. I'd kill for updated features with the same settings.

(Custom map creator in Halo Wars 2 please.)

Halo Wars 2 confirmed

Play Wars now, why do people sit in a lobby searching for a game, go through the loading screen then resign as soon as the game starts. Such confusion.

Some players cant do anything after their initial move fails, same with the rushers

EDIT: v Lolz yeah, what he said.

Fuchsdh

Halo Wars 2 confirmed

Play Wars now, why do people sit in a lobby searching for a game, go through the loading screen then resign as soon as the game starts. Such confusion.

They're trying to boost the General achievement. As soon as the game begins is the first chance they have to back out and search again for their partner.

Don't play Deathmatch 1v1, because that's where all the boosters will be.

They're trying to boost the General achievement. As soon as the game begins is the first chance they have to back out and search again for their partner.

Don't play Deathmatch 1v1, because that's where all the boosters will be.

EXP based ranks + tying achievements to them = ______

Fill in your own blank, but I'm definitely ready to see both of these things disappear.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Given the way MS has been binning all their in house engines and porting remakes over to Unreal and making new versions of games on Unreal: I'm going to take a wild guess and say there's a decent chance the next Halo is running on Unreal 4.

This is entirely speculation, based off the fact at how much buddy buddy MS has gotten with Unreal and how it'd logically make sense to be able to move employees between various MS studios without having to retrain them.

The other thing that would make sense is that it's a new engine but still uses the tag API and data style from the previous engines, hence important bits, but everything else under the hood is new 343 engine code.

tl;dr honk honk honk honk

Wat. No.

It's a new engine. Not unreal.

So many posters convinced that a variant of Halo 4 MP or its engine will be the 'giant leap' we see for Halo XBOne 2014. No way can I see that happening.

1) people are convinced it's the natural thing for 343 to do because they're comfortable with the engine and it's the latest MP in the series. Halo 4 is an Xbox 360 game. Halo 2 anniversary (assuming it's real) is not. If Certain Affinity/Sabre are responsible for H2A then they're probably doing a CEA re-skin; an entire rebuild of the game would probably be a bit much for those studios. So why would they slap an Xbox 360 H4 MP onto a re-skinned original Xbox game that's going to be running at 60FPS on an XBOne?

2) posters are using CEA as a precedent for 343 using the 'existing' Halo game as the template for a remake of multiplayer. But console CE never had a net code suitable for the internet and so they had to improvise somewhat. Halo 2 doesn't have that issue, it was a game built to be played in Xbox Live and could very feasibly be re-skinned like the campaign of CEA was to play 1:1

3) Phil Spencer has said if it was being done it would have to be completely faithful to the original.

4) Halo 4 has the poorest performing Halo multiplayer in the Xbox Live age. I'm sure 343 are proud of their first Halo game but they know they can do better with more time and more experience. I don't think they'll want the worlds first taste of the new consoles Halo multiplayer to be a tweaked version of a game that disappointed so many in the Halo community. This Halo is to be the big system seller for the Fall. They'll want to be moving away from Halo 4 and looking to the future.

I don't own a hat but if I did and if H2 anni MP was a modified H4, then I'd eat it.

Fuchsdh

As long as we keep the same benefits of Halo's engine with the rewrite, I'm happy.

It's still amazing to me that we have other AAA games with in-level loading screens, or that force you to wait 10-15 seconds after each death to try again. This stuff should have been banished years ago, and Halo 1 still looks impressive in comparison with all of a 1-second stutter at worst. Not to mention the pretty damn seamless indoor to outdoor scene changes.

TheOddOne

To add to The Henery excellent post above: The leaks all refer to Halo 2 as a remake. The other Halos are named as ports. Both Frank and Spencer—in separate statements last year—said that if there was a remake of Halo 2 it had to be straight remake and nothing is holding back from it being so (Referring to the difficulties of porting CE’s multiplayer) .

Wat. No.

In the "engine" talk, are you guys using Megalo ( a revamped version of the tool I guess) to build your gametypes for Halo 5: Guardians multiplayer?

If you can't respond rigt now, will we hear about it once we get closer to release?

laughing at the people in the Halo 5 thread saying the Halo 5 MC armor design is better than the Halo 4 design when there are no distinguishable differences.

I wonder if its a placeholder model because i expected at least a minor difference since each Halo with chief has minor differences. I wonder if frank can answer that. Is the Chief model in that Halo 5 visual the actual model in Halo 5 or Halo 4's as a place holder?

Tawpgun

Wat. No.

So a brand new engine made my MS/343 huh?

This is interesting.... Hopefully the game will feel similar to previous games. Hopefully we get fun Halo 3 like physics back. I loved all the silly moments like vehicle wrecks splattering people and cone kills.

Fuchsdh

EXP based ranks + tying achievements to them = ______

Fill in your own blank, but I'm definitely ready to see both of these things disappear.

I think the larger issue with it isn't their existence, but merely the fact that they often seem decoupled from the realities of play. Bioshock 2's rank-based achievements were horrendous because even boosting up to 2x the XP of a normal game, it still takes you 16-18 hours. Bioshock 2's multiplayer is not that good, and because its skill system is so bad if you tried to play legit you'd just be one-shotted constantly by level 50s who sit around shitting on newer players.

Halo Wars, meanwhile, originally had a achievement cap of 3+MIL XP for General--almost 100 games if you were boosting (with games easily taking 24-45 minutes at least), and waaaaay more if you're playing legit.

At some point you're essentially making the incentives to just grind it out outweigh the pleasure of playing the game, because you're asking players to make it their life's work to play your game.

I wonder if its a placeholder model because i expected at least a minor difference since each Halo with chief has minor differences. I wonder if frank can answer that. Is the Chief model in that Halo 5 visual the actual model in Halo 5 or Halo 4's as a place holder?

I do think it's a different model, because though there's no design differences, I can definitely tell a increase in the fidelity of the details in the armor, I mean look at the scratch on Chief's chest plate on the Halo 5 poster, it looks like scratched, damaged metal, rather than pushed-in playdough.

So a brand new engine made my MS/343 huh?

This is interesting.... Hopefully the game will feel similar to previous games. Hopefully we get fun Halo 3 like physics back. I loved all the silly moments like vehicle wrecks splattering people and cone kills.

I believe frank said they will still bring in mechanics from the old engine though.

Havoc2049

Frankie said something about possibly being salty in 27 sleeps a few days ago. Maybe what we believe may not happen.

If this Chief collection happens, what if we only get all 4 campaigns, h2 is updated, but no multi-player and the only MP is the Halo 5: Guardians beta?

I'm starting to wonder if they would give us this amazing Halo 2 multi-player suite, updated maps and then expect us to migrate to Halo 5 multi-player within the year.

^^^
I'm starting to get this vibe as well. Maybe the Halo 5 multiplayer beta will include some Halo 2 Anniversary maps?

I posted this in the Halo 5 reveal thread, but everyone was knee deep in what MC armor they liked the best and it didn't get any traction. Has this already been talked about? Am I on to something, or just fanboy BS? ;-)

I was looking over the halo 4 cutscenes. From the first few minutes, Halsey suspected that the guy she was talking to wants to replace chief.

It could be one of the Spartan-II's from Team Black in new armor.
316px-Black_Team_zps7eaabb3f.png

Fireteam Spartan: Black, often referred to as Team Black or Black Team, is an unconventional warfare unit of SPARTAN-II super soldiers who report directly to the Office of Naval Intelligence (ONI), unlike their NAVSPECWEAP-oriented comrades. It is composed of four Spartans - two female and two male.

If it is Black-Three or Black-Four (the two males of the team) and he is hunting down the Master Chief, I hope it is Black-Four, as he is somewhat of an unlikable character in my book and has stabbed his fellow Spartan's in the back before.

Drama on Team Black:
While being trained by SCPO Franklin Mendez, Black-One and Three secretly had a romantic relationship. Victor (Black-Four) was jealous of them and reported them to Mendez, who sent both to the brig.

Source

It could be one of the Spartan-II's from Team Black in new armor.
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk284/todhavoc/316px-Black_Team_zps7eaabb3f.png[/IMG

[I]Fireteam Spartan: Black, often referred to as Team Black or Black Team, is an unconventional warfare unit of SPARTAN-II super soldiers who report directly to the Office of Naval Intelligence (ONI), unlike their NAVSPECWEAP-oriented comrades. It is composed of four Spartans - two female and two male.
[/I]
If it is Black-Three or Black-Four (the two males of the team) and he is hunting down the Master Chief, I hope it is Black-Four, as he is somewhat of an unlikable character in my book and has stabbed his fellow Spartan's in the back before.

Drama on Team Black:
[I]While being trained by [B]SCPO Franklin Mendez[/B], Black-One and Three secretly had a romantic relationship. Victor (Black-Four) was jealous of them and reported them to Mendez, who sent both to the brig.[/I]

[URL="http://www.halopedia.org/Team_Black"]Source[/URL][/QUOTE]

Just going to go ahead and give a hell yeah to this. Especially if Mendez makes an in-game appearance. YES!

[quote="TheOddOne, post: 112484899"]To add to The Henery excellent post above: The leaks all refer to Halo 2 as a remake. [B]The other Halos are named as ports. [/B]Both Frank and Spencer—in separate statements last year—said that if there was a remake of Halo 2 it had to be straight remake and nothing is holding back from it being so (Referring to the difficulties of porting CE’s multiplayer) .[/QUOTE]

Would make sense, really: ports of Halo CEA, 3, and 4, all 360 titles. Remake of Halo 2, Xbox original title. If true this is nuts.

[quote="The Henery, post: 112484443"]So many posters convinced that a variant of Halo 4 MP or its engine will be the 'giant leap' we see for Halo XBOne 2014. No way can I see that happening.

1) people are convinced it's the natural thing for 343 to do because they're comfortable with the engine and it's the latest MP in the series. Halo 4 is an Xbox 360 game. Halo 2 anniversary (assuming it's real) is not. If Certain Affinity/Sabre are responsible for H2A then they're probably doing a CEA re-skin; an entire rebuild of the game would probably be a bit much for those studios. So why would they slap an Xbox 360 H4 MP onto a re-skinned original Xbox game that's going to be running at 60FPS on an XBOne?

2) posters are using CEA as a precedent for 343 using the 'existing' Halo game as the template for a remake of multiplayer. But console CE never had a net code suitable for the internet and so they had to improvise somewhat. Halo 2 doesn't have that issue, it was a game built to be played in Xbox Live and could very feasibly be re-skinned like the campaign of CEA was to play 1:1

3) Phil Spencer has said if it was being done it would have to be completely faithful to the original.

4) Halo 4 has the poorest performing Halo multiplayer in the Xbox Live age. I'm sure 343 are proud of their first Halo game but they know they can do better with more time and more experience. I don't think they'll want the worlds first taste of the new consoles Halo multiplayer to be a tweaked version of a game that disappointed so many in the Halo community. This Halo is to be the big system seller for the Fall. They'll want to be moving away from Halo 4 and looking to the future.

I don't own a hat but if I did and if H2 anni MP was a modified H4, then I'd eat it.[/QUOTE]

Great post. I'm convinced.

--

Anyone see that CoD MW trilogy collection for Xbox One and PS4? Not sure if it is fake, but this makes me think all the more that Microsoft may actually be doing this. I'm a mess of emotions right now.

Caladrius

Halo Wars, meanwhile, originally had a achievement cap of 3+MIL XP for General--almost 100 games if you were boosting (with games easily taking 24-45 minutes at least), and waaaaay more if you're playing legit.

A smidge off-topic but you saying that gave me nasty flashbacks.

I never did get to General even after they lowered the requirements twice. I think I was like 4/5ths of the way there before I got completely burnt out. I boosted as best I could but it kind of broke me, and I liked the game.

Maybe one day I'll try and finish it.

Top Bottom