• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Madness

I wonder what the size of the team at 343 is like right now. Obviously you expect them to be leaner and meaner since they shipped Halo 4 and got their initial game out of the way, but new hardware, an all new engine, and just the scope of the game, they probably need more workers no?

Chettlar

Banned
Just bought some hamburger buns, shout-out to Chettlar.

Um...Thanks?

Hey guys, go listen to my attempt to be as cool as Kazuma Jinnouchi.

My fan-made, Halo 5 inspired music.

If zoojoo can do it, so can I... :)

This is great.

Really wish I had software I could use, or furthermore even knew how to use it. I've got great ideas in my head, and I know how to put them down on a piano and stuff like Finale, but my access to good sounds and mixing programs is awful. I literally have no money.

Um...Thanks?

This is great.

Really wish I had software I could use, or furthermore even knew how to use it. I've got great ideas in my head, and I know how to put them down on a piano and stuff like Finale, but my access to good sounds and mixing programs is awful. I literally have no money.

Thanks! You could try Cockos REAPER for a free/cheap host and look for free VSTi's and soundfonts to get started. That's what I did before I started working and saving money. I could direct you to some good free software instruments. Just PM me if you want some ideas.

Chettlar

Banned
Thanks! You could try Cockos REAPER for a free/cheap host and look for free VSTi's and soundfonts to get started. That's what I did before I started working and saving money. I could direct you to some good free software instruments. Just PM me if you want some ideas.

I might if I remember to. I've been really busy with a ton of stuff lately so it might be a bit.

Thanks.

Takashi

If Halo 5 or H2A goes back to its arena fundamentals of equal starts, fast movement/strafe, no perks/AA, etc do you think that it will become the most popular shooter again? Only reason I ask is cause in the past I've seen people say that it could "return to the top", be "the king of shooters" again, stuff like that.

I took those phrases to mean population-wise, but I think it wouldn't be the most populous game again. It'd be great if it was though, but I just think people love easier games, and since Halo isn't one to make kills easier (perks), it would make sense that people who aren't as good as games would take the path of least resistance and play a typical modern shooter that rewards you for almost anything.

Anyone else think that the multiplayer in the Halo 2 Anniversary could be the Halo 5 multiplayer with Halo 2 maps? It could double as a beta as they could use feedback from it. Then maybe we could get the Halo 2 maps in Halo 5 along with new maps.

Madness

Anyone else think that the multiplayer in the Halo 2 Anniversary could be the Halo 5 multiplayer with Halo 2 maps? It could double as a beta as they could use feedback from it. Then maybe we could get the Halo 2 maps in Halo 5 along with new maps.

That's what I've been thinking of more and more. If they give us updated Halo 2 multi-player and I can play 4v4 BP starts on an updated HD midship, do I really want to play Halo 5 with sprint and whatever else on Abandon 2.0 in Halo 5 a year later? I play Halo for several years. Reach just got too frustrating and had problems with the population split with anniversary or I'd have still played.

I just can't see that anymore in a sense. And Bonnie chooses her words carefully. What if the journey that begins in 2014 is some limited Halo 5 beta on Halo 2 maps? But then again all that Ntkrnl had said has largely come true. He wouldn't have said updated and original Halo 2 multiplayer if it wasn't true. Who knows.

My biggest issues with Halo 4 right now is just flinch and sheer lag at times. Those kill my enjoyment.

Some players cant do anything after their initial move fails, same with the rushers

EDIT: v Lolz yeah, what he said.
So many rage quits after a failed Prophet rush.
They're trying to boost the General achievement. As soon as the game begins is the first chance they have to back out and search again for their partner.

Don't play Deathmatch 1v1, because that's where all the boosters will be.
Ah I see, thanks. Pretty silly really, there is absolutely no penalty for quitting in the game.
EXP based ranks + tying achievements to them = ______

Fill in your own blank, but I'm definitely ready to see both of these things disappear.
Yep I want the General achievement in Wars but it's so far away (thank god they lowered the required exp).
If exp based ranks have achievements tied to them at least make them lower ranks like in the past titles (ie. no longer a recruit). Later on when population dwindles it's hard to find games and the achievements become near impossible to get. But that's a problem with any game linked to these types achievements not just Halo.
Luckily Wars has a pretty healthy community still.

Hey guys, I'm feeling extra inspired this weekend, so I went ahead and made some more Halo 5 music, this time, I tried to make a theme for Marlowe, or whoever the mysterious Spartan is:

Marlowe's Theme

I took all of the feedback I got on the last piece into account, and though it may not immidieatly scream "Halo" to you, I made sure that there were call backs to the roots in the series' music history, they're subtle, but they are there.

belushy

Banned
Its really hard watching Halo 4 matches on Twitch after watching Ghosts for the past month or two... Halo not having a spectator mode sucks. Even though the game is horrid, it is still cool being able to jump on Twitch or MLG.tv and watch Gandhi and Maven talk over the gameplay with a spectator mode during a 2k or 5k tournament.

Hey guys, I'm feeling extra inspired this weekend, so I went ahead and made some more Halo 5 music, this time, I tried to make a theme for Marlowe, or whoever the mysterious Spartan is:

Marlowe's Theme

I took all of the feedback I got on the last piece into account, and though it may not immidieatly scream "Halo" to you, I made sure that there were call backs to the roots in the series' music history, they're subtle, but they are there.

I pointed it out on the actual track, but that six-note piano melody at the beginning sounds distinctly Metroid. Otherwise, it sounds like Haven and Awakening had an upbeat baby, so it seems realistic enough.

Eventually we need to make a "Halo 5 Spoiler & Speculation" thread.

Also here's my take on a theoretical scenario in Halo 5: Guardians.

serin_osman_by_dustiniz117-d5ttbat.jpg

Hello Cpt. Thomas Laskey,

It has been brought to my attention knowing more of your background with the Master Chief since the Covenant Invasion incident at Corbulo Academy, Captain..

You must understand that He is no longer a hero that many had once believed him to be... We have evidence of his involvements in aiding the terrorist, Dr. Halsey, whom is working with Jul M'dama just before his sudden disappearance with you, the rest of Infinity's crew and Fireteam Spartan IVs.

I have permitted Fireteam Black to retrieve John, either dead or alive. I suggest you sit this one out and set aside your friendship. Disobeying a direct order and compromising an ONI classified mission is punishable by Death. - Admiral Serin Osman [ONI]

Eoin

If Halo 5 or H2A goes back to its arena fundamentals of equal starts, fast movement/strafe, no perks/AA, etc do you think that it will become the most popular shooter again? Only reason I ask is cause in the past I've seen people say that it could "return to the top", be "the king of shooters" again, stuff like that.

I took those phrases to mean population-wise, but I think it wouldn't be the most populous game again. It'd be great if it was though, but I just think people love easier games, and since Halo isn't one to make kills easier (perks), it would make sense that people who aren't as good as games would take the path of least resistance and play a typical modern shooter that rewards you for almost anything.
They need to bring back the 1-50 Halo 2/3 style. It was that addictive hook that kept a huge number of people coming back, game after game, day after day. It's just psychology. When you feel like you are achieving something, you'll play more, even if it's for a meaningless number. Even if they create a fantastic Halo game with 5, if it lacks that hook, it won't retain population as well as 2 or 3 did.

Unlocks in Cod and Battlefield work in same way, but are just incompatable with a Halo game. The sandbox is too small to have enough unlocks and it messes up the formula of Halo by not having everyone start on an equal footing.

They need to bring back the 1-50 Halo 2/3 style. It was that addictive hook that kept a huge number of people coming back, game after game, day after day. It's just psychology. When you feel like you are achieving something, you'll play more, even if it's for a meaningless number. Even if they create a fantastic Halo game with 5, if it lacks that hook, it won't retain population as well as 2 or 3 did.

Unlocks in Cod and Battlefield work in same way, but are just incompatable with a Halo game. The sandbox is too small to have enough unlocks and it messes up the formula of Halo, by not having everyone start on an equal footing.

They need to worry about creating a fantastic Halo game first before ranks. If Halo 4 had the halo 2 style ranks it still wouldn't be good. Its the same game just with ranks then.

They need to worry about creating a fantastic Halo game first before ranks. If Halo 4 had the halo 2 style ranks it still wouldn't be good. Its the same game just with ranks then.
I agree about first needing to make the game good, but I think I would have stuck with 4 a little longer if it had had ranks. What's my motivation to play hard and serious with no ranks and a bunch of randomness? It's like a double whammy.

Eoin

I agree. I'm just saying even a fixed Halo game without a good player progression hook, will not retain population as well as Halo2/3 did. Weapon/abilities/perk unlocks are incompatable with a proper Halo game and purely aesthetic unlocks like in Reach just aren't compelling enough. A good ranked progression worked in the past and would work again.
I agree about first needing to make the game good, but I think I would have stuck with 4 a little longer if it had had ranks. What's my motivation to play hard and serious with no ranks and a bunch of randomness? It's like a double whammy.
Same here. Games just felt meaningless. I play to have fun, but I have more fun if I win and feel there was something on the line.

Takashi

Unlocks in Cod and Battlefield work in same way, but are just incompatable with a Halo game. The sandbox is too small to have enough unlocks and it messes up the formula of Halo by not having everyone start on an equal footing.

I understand that and agree, but let me rephrase the question. Do you think bringing back the good style of gameplay will bring the population back to the VERY top?

As I said before, to me Halo doesn't have to be the absolute most populated game, just as long as it has a multiplayer focused on the fundamentals.

Seibmoz

Random question who here leaves their stereo headset adapter plugged in all the time or do you guys disconnect it when not in use.

I agree. I'm just saying even a fixed Halo game without a good player progression hook, will not retain population as well as Halo2/3 did. Weapon/abilities/perk unlocks are incompatable with a proper Halo game and purely aesthetic unlocks like in Reach just aren't compelling enough. A good ranked progression worked in the past and would work again.

Same here. Games just felt meaningless. I play to have fun, but I have more fun if I win and feel there was something on the line.

Yea i do agree that the rank approach is the way to go in terms of it being the carrot instead of unlocking weapons and stuff which makes no sense for Halo.

I'm down for that idea. Definitely wanting the story to isolate John a little more and push his character like Halo 4 did. I feel like the idea of Chief gone rogue with ONI coming after him could make for an amazing story.

I understand that and agree, but let me rephrase the question. Do you think bringing back the good style of gameplay will bring the population back to the VERY top?

As I said before, to me Halo doesn't have to be the absolute most populated game, just as long as it has a multiplayer focused on the fundamentals.

Honestly i dont think it can bring it to the very top since the market has changed now. Like you said people seem to like the easier games. I do think it will elevate Halo to a higher level compared to the past 4 yrs.

Computron

DID SOMEONE SAY HALO 2 RAGDOLLS?

ibhxJouejuEFmL.gif

i9Av9nNqTbN5Q.gif

irAChST965Sbh.gif

ifL6OJMVMoHlZ.gif

iUmkfL7W4Uk6C.gif

iba6h0NBbNXf90.gif

God, I wanna go play Halo 2 again and make some more of these GIFs.

No game has quite captured the essence of knocking someone so hard on their ass that their body has to catch up with them as did Halo 2.

I miss the Halo 3 launch melee where your enemy would literally get knocked back across narrows. It was on par with the ragdoll stopping power of H2.

Eoin

The very top? I doubt it, for any length of time at least, but it would probably be able to stay in the top 5 for the life of the title.

Random question who here leaves their stereo headset adapter plugged in all the time or do you guys disconnect it when not in use.

I leave the adapter plugged in all the time. Doesn't bother me.

Pretty happy with my Stereo headset; it works with the PS4 as well, though using software volume controls is a little inconvenient.

That sounds cool but this is what it's really going to be. Ladies and gentlemen, the first leaked storyline of Halo 5. This is confirmed by multiple sources inside the studio.

Sarah_Palmer.jpg

"PUSH THE BUTTON, SPARTAN!!!!!

Marlowe's Theme

The piano definitely sounds better here. I like the references to previous Halo melodies. My only real criticism is the percussion not sounding "soundtracky" enough as far as Halo games go. But that's preference. I'd put some more epic drums in there if it were me.

The piano definitely sounds better here. I like the references to previous Halo melodies. My only real criticism is the percussion not sounding "soundtracky" enough as far as Halo games go. But that's preference. I'd put some more epic drums in there if it were me.

That's why I dread putting drums in my songs, because i know i don't have good samples, and it's always the weakest part of any of my songs. I really need to invest in some new plug ins and samples lolol

Jesus the last 4 matches, I couldnt even change my loadouts not like It really changes my score but daaaaaaaaamn

Some super hosts tonight, man. I have no idea how Domino ever got any hit-markers on that Pit game. 343 hax prolly.

Really, I got one shot melee killed while I was using the sword.

Filaipus

Banned
DID SOMEONE SAY HALO 2 RAGDOLLS?
gifsgifsgifs
iUmkfL7W4Uk6C.gif

iba6h0NBbNXf90.gif

God, I wanna go play Halo 2 again and make some more of these GIFs.

No game has quite captured the essence of knocking someone so hard on their ass that their body has to catch up with them as did Halo 2.

Those were awesome. Have more?

Omni

What are the benefits of making a new engine and throwing away 10 years of progress? I mean I'm a bit sceptical about the whole thing *shrugs*

Top Bottom