• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

IHaveIce

Banned
Played 2 games yesterday of Halo 4.

One legendary BRs on Onyx and Infinity Slayer on Abandon

It was like night and day.

The match on Onyx, was close and despite some connection issues really enjoyable, eventhough I still don't like any of the rifle choices. (Light rifle in promod 4 the win)

The match on Abandon was just like launch Halo 4. Terrible. Saw drops, overshields and camo sshotguncamper. But don't forget jetpackers with Rockets.

Proving ground also reads like it is ok, but the population was in the diubledigits yesterday so I passed.

In other news I finally hit Regen in Titanfall. Have huge fun with the game.

What are the benefits of making a new engine and throwing away 10 years of progress? I mean I'm a bit sceptical about the whole thing *shrugs*

How I see there is something that heavily modifying the engine wouldn't be able to achieve if it wasn't a new engine. I'm guessing 343 might do something very big.

What are the benefits of making a new engine and throwing away 10 years of progress? I mean I'm a bit sceptical about the whole thing *shrugs*

This is good news. "10 years of progress" has involved a ton of staples, shoestrings, and whitewashes to make a serviceable product. Many parts of the engine, most likely the more abstracted things like Megalo or high-level scripting and design components, are mostly untouched (as I believe Frankie said) and/or improved. The underlying interconnected and interdependent codebase that has been the cause of some headaches and known limitations, is what is being brought into the modern age.

Eventually, Microsoft had to get rid of the DOS base OS to make a new Windows too. It's good news, man.

IHaveIce

Banned
I hope they get rid of that +15 headshot shit from games or at least give us the option to turn that off.
Options in general should be a bulletpoint 343 has to achieve.
Better audio options in form of sliders, hud options, button customizing

And of course custom game options should feel complete at launch. The wait for noninstant respawn slayer gametypes in H4 was dumb

gAg CruSh3r

Frankie, I'm not sure if you can answer this, but what lead to your/343's decision to give Halo 5 a subtitle?

Maybe because they want to put it out there it's not so much of a 'Halo' (ring) game this time around. It's a new chapter in this epic journey for something much larger. With a different experience feel to it.

Such as Halo Reach. It's about the planet and what happens to it and not the Halo rings. They kept Halo 5 in the title because it's the continue of Master Chiefs quest.

Mix

All of this halo 2 footage is giving me a nostalgia boner. I can't even handle this, I need an anniversary edition of it so bad.

jelly

7-8 years of Bungie progress which might not fit 343 staff who spent time getting to grips with it for Halo 4 and think techniques and tricks of their own would be simpler and better from almost scratch, especially if there is big game design and feature changes. Maybe power PC to x86 hardware was a reason as well. Lean and mean Halo 5 engine probably the right idea for the next step.

It'll definitely prompt an interesting discussion if it's well received, for example, is it a hit because of nostalgia, or because of solid gameplay mechanics that have held up over the years?
'Tis the question.
Do you mean new people playing it or old ones? Campaign or multiplayer?
Both new people and people who played it back then. As far as campaign/multiplayer, always assume I'm referring to multiplayer unless I state otherwise.

Fuchsdh

It'll definitely prompt an interesting discussion if it's well received, for example, is it a hit because of nostalgia, or because of solid gameplay mechanics that have held up over the years?

Pretty much. I don't think you can downplay the impact of the former even if the latter is true as well. I know some of my affection for the game is that it's the only one I often LAN'd.

aj1467

I'm curious to see what people think of Halo 2 in 2014. How's the pacing? How does the shooting feel? etc. etc.

Playing it right now. Most fun I've had in a long time.

The melee system is the only thing that feels weird to me after so many years of the H3/Reach/4 style system

Tawpgun

Although a bit silly looking and unrealistic, the Halo 2 headshot ragdoll flip was one of the most satisfying kills in all video games. Wasn't the same after.

Bring it back imo, fuck the scripted death animations

aj1467

Someone on twitter just tweeted at me saying Halo needs sprint... and that he doesn't care about the effects on gameplay that sprint brings. Just that it should be there because a Spartan should be able to sprint really fast...

Hold me GAF.

IHaveIce

Banned
Someone on twitter just tweeted at me saying Halo needs sprint... and that he doesn't care about the effects on gameplay that sprint brings. Just that it should be there because a Spartan should be able to sprint really fast...

Hold me GAF.

Sounds like Deadly Cyclone

lawful

Banned

Hold me GAF.

If I was in charge I would probably remove sprint. But I'd replace it with Mirror's Edge style running where the longer you held down the faster you went as long as you didn't hit any obstructions. But no one will ever do this so I say keep sprint.

Booties

Banned
He unfollowed everybody from HaloGAF off twitter. He DM'd me saying that he still lurks.

Weird, because GUI is usually pretty fun and pokes a lot fun at everything. Weird that he just up and vanished.

Because spending way too much time on GAF/twitter talking about video games is not normal and sometimes people realize that and put up barriers to get their shit together.

Sometimes.

Hold me GAF.
It'll be okay

We won't have ADS in Halo

aj1467

I remember when I thought default sprint in Halo was a good idea for the same reason.

...Boy, was I wrong.

the-sigh-off-o.gif

I know that feel

It'll be okay

We won't have ADS in Halo
Perks.
PERKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS in Halo.
Still can't believe it.
I remember when I thought default sprint in Halo was a good idea for the same reason.

...Boy, was I wrong.
An overwhelming number of fans wanted sprint after Halo 2. Instead of everyone coming together and asking for faster movement speed, people were asking for sprint to make the "game faster." Fast forward several years and at least now people are universally clamoring for equal starts, etc. etc. - Halo 4 played an integral role in uniting the fanbase under similar ideas of what makes Halo, Halo. If the "vocal minority" was never a thing, Halo might be in better shape right now. That being said, redemption never hits the snooze button.

Default Thrusters >

Mix

Perks.
PERKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS in Halo.
Still can't believe it.

An overwhelming number of fans wanted sprint after Halo 2. Instead of everyone coming together and asking for faster movement speed, people were asking for sprint to make the "game faster." Fast forward several years and at least now people are universally clamoring for equal starts, etc. etc.

Default Thrusters >

This is an idea I can get behind. Honestly, Default thrusters would be an amazing idea, especially if you could turn it off in game settings, that way you get the new age halo game play that's a bit faster paced and original halo that is what Halo Should be.

Top Bottom