• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Tawpgun

Speaking of Sprint, I would welcome its removal. Boost base movement speed and you won't even need it.

Even if movement speed was boosted to sprint speed, people would think it feels slow and would want sprint. It truly is a mental thing to see a spartan sprinting.

Might be better to just have the full speed running animation kick in but be able to shoot instantly whenever you want. That way it still looks like you're running.

An overwhelming number of fans wanted sprint after Halo 2. Instead of everyone coming together and asking for faster movement speed, people were asking for sprint to make the "game faster." Fast forward several years and at least now people are universally clamoring for equal starts, etc. etc. - Halo 4 played an integral role in uniting the fanbase under similar ideas of what makes Halo, Halo. If the "vocal minority" was never a thing, Halo might be in better shape right now. That being said, redemption never hits the snooze button.

Default Thrusters >

I think that's the biggest takeaway from that. I was all about the armor abilities and perks and stuff, but when I played it in practice, I got bored with the game. Halo is best at 4v4, smaller map size, fast movement speed, starting BRs. That's my jam, and that's what's fun. Of course there's always people like Halo4Follower who is clamoring for friggin vehicle packs (how would that even work in the halo sandbox?), but I think people want good ole Halo back now. And that's what makes me excited for Halo 5.

Is it weird that I am most looking forward to our own game on xbone? Like, itching to play it in retail matchmaking.

Right now I am most excited about our game, sunset overdrive and I am praying for rockstar to announce a next Gen red dead sequel.

Oh and destiny for sure if I can do light rpg-ing.

Does it "feel like Halo"?

I hope you guys fix Halo.
To them "fixing Halo" is abput getting as far away from bungie as possible.

Black Tusk is awesome

http://www.twitch.tv/blacktuskstudios/c/4262514

They clearly know the complaints on judgement. Gears seems in great hands. I wish 343 did something like this.
im all for Quinn coming into a 343 stream and revealing that they have taken all the shit out.

In Rod we trust.

343 sounded like they understood the communities complaints about Reach pre-Halo 4. Look how that turned out.... Not only that but Black Tusk has expressed that they took some notes from 343.
Notes on how not to listen to the community

They probably meant they took notes from 343 messing up.
^this

What are the benefits of making a new engine and throwing away 10 years of progress? I mean I'm a bit sceptical about the whole thing *shrugs*
Bungie <----------------- 343 (dat trying to move away)

This is good news. "10 years of progress" has involved a ton of staples, shoestrings, and whitewashes to make a serviceable product. Many parts of the engine, most likely the more abstracted things like Megalo or high-level scripting and design components, are mostly untouched (as I believe Frankie said) and/or improved. The underlying interconnected and interdependent codebase that has been the cause of some headaches and known limitations, is what is being brought into the modern age.

Eventually, Microsoft had to get rid of the DOS base OS to make a new Windows too. It's good news, man.
One can only hope that they keep the good things and build on that instead of just changing everything.

I think that's the biggest takeaway from that. I was all about the armor abilities and perks and stuff, but when I played it in practice, I got bored with the game. Halo is best at 4v4, smaller map size, fast movement speed, starting BRs. That's my jam, and that's what's fun. Of course there's always people like Halo4Follower who is clamoring for friggin vehicle packs (how would that even work in the halo sandbox?), but I think people want good ole Halo back now. And that's what makes me excited for Halo 5.

343 needs to listen to the original fans, and not the fans of the abomination that was Halo 4

wwm0nkey

Remove sprint, up the base movement slightly.
Probably just me but I can't find any change log saying something about Halo 2 for those drivers. What's the problem? Run Halo 2 on my GT650M from time to time and haven't encountered any problems.
Later drivers caused an ungodly awful flicking bug.

This is an idea I can get behind. Honestly, Default thrusters would be an amazing idea, especially if you could turn it off in game settings, that way you get the new age halo game play that's a bit faster paced and original halo that is what Halo Should be.

Default Thrusters with AR/Pistol starts, better strafe and faster movement speed would allow for faster kill times and more satisfying gameplay.

Save the Pistol, save the Halo.
Save me.

Even if movement speed was boosted to sprint speed, people would think it feels slow and would want sprint. It truly is a mental thing to see a spartan sprinting.

Might be better to just have the full speed running animation kick in but be able to shoot instantly whenever you want. That way it still looks like you're running.

It's all about the perception, which is why sprint, bloom and AA's need to go. The reticles on every weapon need to be static for this very reason. When I shoot a weapon that has bloom, subconsciously I think of games other than Halo.

I'm here for you man.. Rest your head on my shoulders and let it all out.
Overwhelming? That's conjecture, I'd say you have nothing to prove that.
From my perspective, I saw a lot of those posts. You didn't? No problem.

I question the tone/perspective some of you guys read my posts in lol

Juan

What are the benefits of making a new engine and throwing away 10 years of progress? I mean I'm a bit sceptical about the whole thing *shrugs*

Over 10 years, you don't just make progress, you try and learn new things each time you are building an engine.

But when you are building a new engine upon another one, an old one, then it's just iteration, and you still have to deal with old functions which could not be okay with the new platform you are building your engine for.

Sometime, it's better to start everything from scratch and use new tech and code to optimise your engine and create tools that are perfectly adapted for your needs, actual and future.

One example, which is not a game but a website, but the idea is the same : http://www.halodestiny.net/

Since 5 years, we are using a CMS called PHP Fusion. It works fine and it was a really good start for us 5 years ago when we didn't really know how to build our own web platform and tools. We have simple tool to write our articles and let our users post comments and messages accros the website and the forum.
But since, we learned a lot and we want to do more right know. We know how to deal with our ambitions, like we want a website which will be responsive (aka usable on mobile), and we want to use our datas to create mobile and web applications.

We could still use PHP Fusion, but we would have to deal with codes and functions that are not thought for our needs. We could change these functions and make them work on mobile, but it will only be some tricks and we could not have the perfect tools we need for what comes next.

So we have decided to start everything from scratch and create our own technology to run our website. It was faster to create our new tools to support our vision and our needs than adapt PHP Fusion.

We won't lose all the progression we get since 5 years, we learned from it and we can recreate these act of progress quicker than ever thanks to our new tools.

As a last example, I should show you how we actually write articles on HDi right now and how we will write articles with our next version D7.

The elements are the same, a text area and a publishing button. Now we can edit our text in a simple way, add pictures with a simple drag and drop. Before that, we had to go into a specific section of our administration to upload picture, then copy/paste the picture's link and put it in hard mode in our article using HTML (web layout language).

Maybe my presentation isn't perfect, and be sure that drop a old engine is not a way to lose 10 years of progress. Sometine, you HAVE to drop your old tools and create new one to accompany your vision.

And usually, it is faster to create new tools than deal with an old and inappropriate one.

Be sure, and trust me, that if 343 Industries have really create a new engine, it is for the best.

Default Thrusters with AR/Pistol starts, better strafe and faster movement speed would allow for faster kill times and more satisfying gameplay.

Save the Pistol, save the Halo.
Save me.

It's all about the perception, which is why sprint, bloom and AA's need to go. The reticles on every weapon need to be static for this very reason. When I shoot a weapon that has bloom, subconsciously I think of games other than Halo.

I'm here for you man.. Rest your head on my shoulders and let it all out.

From my perspective, I saw a lot of those posts. You didn't? No problem.

I question the tone/perspective some of you guys read my posts in lol

Thrusters are corny. If anything make it a power up to pick up..

Perks.
PERKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS in Halo.
Still can't believe it.

An overwhelming number of fans wanted sprint after Halo 2. Instead of everyone coming together and asking for faster movement speed, people were asking for sprint to make the "game faster." Fast forward several years and at least now people are universally clamoring for equal starts, etc. etc. - Halo 4 played an integral role in uniting the fanbase under similar ideas of what makes Halo, Halo. If the "vocal minority" was never a thing, Halo might be in better shape right now. That being said, redemption never hits the snooze button.

Default Thrusters >
I've been a fan of the perk system in H4, and the default sprint. I'm not alone either - most of the fans of this that I know have left Halo because of other design flaws. And I still want ADS in Halo. I think it would be great to see. Grill me all you want, but truthfully I want to see that.

I think life has changed too much for me to ever like Halo in quite the same way ever again. I feel like I'd have to make new friends online to play with and start fresh instead of being able to gather the 'old guard' or simply anyone I used to always play with. I say this because I see 343 really trying to put their best foot forward (with next to nothing even shown but whatever) but it all feels like it will be the game it should have been a few years ago.

It's a shame really.

YourEXwife, Eugn. GoT priority. I'll be around thursday night.

Apparently I have to take more time off this coming weekend, gonna be around?

I've been a fan of the perk system in H4, and the default sprint. I'm not alone either - most of the fans of this that I know have left Halo because of other design flaws. And I still want ADS in Halo. I think it would be great to see. Grill me all you want, but truthfully I want to see that.

You are now the king of the bad opinion train as of this post in my eyes.

This. is the epitome of a bad opinion and the type of person 343 should not be listening to.

belushy

Banned

I respect your opinion, but the version of Halo that you want is not something I want any part of.

Moa

Best irony ever.

kdZvHyQ.gif

Nebula

Definitely an alt.

But why? Could you explain what ADS would add to Halo?

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42

If you strip away everything that makes it Halo, it's not going to be Halo anymore.

The day we get ADS on Halo is the day I'm NOPEing the fuck out of the franchise. pls no.

TheOddOne

tumblr_lxjf9ndajc1qc91k6o1_400.jpg

CyReN

Looked for some Halo 2 pictures earlier today on google, came across Frankie test/showing off Halo 2 at TGS in 2004?

e8LSYdS.jpg

Gb7XlG8.jpg

ckR3k8I.jpg

hvWqu15.jpg

t3fiQCA.jpg

Could be doing this again in a few months..

yeah, no. default sprint sucks. perks suck, ADS sucks. what you're describing is literally just CoD with a Halo skin

Ghazi

ibqDs3mcIYjDQp.gif

Juan

Why do you talk more about D7 on GAF than on halodestiny itself? hehe

Need to practice my english. And because it was a good example to explain to randomrosso that building something new is faster than adapt a old system. :p

About ADS in Halo, did some of you use the fish control in Halo 4? Imo, it was really enjoyable because it lets the player focus on one main action per screen, which is something great in itself.

ADS is good for quick encounter, which isn't something player are familiar with in Halo, even with Halo 2 which was the fastest Halo we had (using a BR and not the CE pistol).

But Halo already has a great built about the gameplay and how you can aim your opponent without using a zoom for short distance, so add ADS is not needed, but it won't destroy Halo.

It will just slow down the gunplay.

Top Bottom