• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Madness

I love how you just picked that specific part and just disregarded the rest of the post. I think that is your biggest problem, you go into defense mode faster than anybody I know―even in the cases in which it is not needed. Look at your interaction with iMax, you completely blew it out of proportion and went on to insult him. No wonder iMax came out swinging with that reply. You pretty much acted like iMax reply the first time you entered HaloHAF, you acted as if it was you alone against HaloGAF. The thing was that it was all in your head and that made you paranoid as hell. You also fail to grasp a joke or two, seeing as you still hold a grudge about that HGS joke. All it was, was a joke—get it? Like, Kittens likes #butts, Elzar is a whore and Wahrer makes fart trumpet music. I don’t see them getting overly defensive, heck they are friendly running jokes.

Seriously, stop acting like you are a victim in all of this. The faster you get off that stance, the faster you will finally understand to let go.

Look honestly, I really think you need to re-evaluate any interactions we've ever had. Mine were ALWAYS polite to you. How is it a joke for me, if you post on a "secret" forum that if someone invited me, you'd leave? Most of them have known you for years whereas they knew me for months? If I didn't even receive an invite, I'd never have known. So it's more saying something behind my back than a joke.

I honestly don't know what to say. I truly think I rubbed you the wrong way from the start and you just have a general dislike for me and my posts. I mean it's almost been a year since I PM'ed you asking how I could change my posting habits. I ignored you right after and I suggested you do the same for me. Sure I might have unhid some of your posts if they showed up in the thread, or read what you wrote if someone quoted but I genuinely did not acknowledge you or your posts until now in almost a year, whether you noticed or not.

Now that you mention it, you're right. I do see a bit of myself in iMax because I was the same when I joined. It's why I told him to stay as well, did I honestly insult him anywhere It seems he was upset at someone else who wrote "GSO" and he conflated it with me. My posts to him were pretty strong and somewhat dismissive. I agree, and I also saw the same in Chettlar in a sense, like I said, it's never easy joining a community and you do get defensive. So you know what you're right, I'm honestly going to put this behind me. I honestly see no way where the way I post won't annoy you, so I'm asking you to put me on ignore. It doesn't seem likely we'll ever play Halo together, or interact so I think it's for the best. Cheers.

On a side note, I have posted way too much since I've joined. When I was banned, did it really hit how much it actually was. Often times, my posts are wordy, unnecessarily long walls of text. So I'm probably going to stop posting until E3, maybe later.

I love how you just picked that specific part and just disregarded the rest of the post. I think that is your biggest problem, you go into defense mode faster than anybody I know―even in the cases in which it is not needed. Look at your interaction with iMax, you completely blew it out of proportion and went on to insult him. No wonder iMax came out swinging with that reply. You pretty much acted like iMax reply the first time you entered HaloHAF, you acted as if it was you alone against HaloGAF. The thing was that it was all in your head and that made you paranoid as hell. You also fail to grasp a joke or two, seeing as you still hold a grudge about that HGS joke. All it was, was a joke—get it? Like, Kittens likes #butts, Elzar is a whore and Wahrer makes fart trumpet music. I don’t see them getting overly defensive, heck they are friendly running jokes.

Seriously, stop acting like you are a victim in all of this. The faster you get off that stance, the faster you will finally understand to let go.
Is it really a joke when you get upset and act like it's not a joke? To me, actions > words.

Your Elzar jokes are nothing like your insulting jokes, and the fact that you even compared them shows how oblivious you are to the way you act sometimes. You just gave Madness shit about pointing out something specific in your post, but in reality your relationship extends further than that (which is why he brought up those other parts). You call them "jokes," but are they really jokes when you're dead serious about your ill feelings towards someone?

This thread is doomed.
But maybe not, HaloGAF is self-governing, mods!
Please understand.

TheOddOne

Look honestly, I really think you need to re-evaluate any interactions we've ever had. Mine were ALWAYS polite to you. How is it a joke for me, if you post on a "secret" forum that if someone invited me, you'd leave? Most of them have known you for years whereas they knew me for months? If I didn't even receive an invite, I'd never have known. So it's more saying something behind my back than a joke.

I honestly don't know what to say. I truly think I rubbed you the wrong way from the start and you just have a general dislike for me and my posts. I mean it's almost been a year since I PM'ed you asking how I could change my posting habits. I ignored you right after and I suggested you do the same for me. Sure I might have unhid some of your posts if they showed up in the thread, or read what you wrote if someone quoted but I genuinely did not acknowledge you or your posts until now in almost a year, whether you noticed or not.

Now that you mention it, you're right. I do see a bit of myself in iMax because I was the same when I joined. It's why I told him to stay as well, did I honestly insult him anywhere It seems he was upset at someone else who wrote "GSO" and he conflated it with me. My posts to him were pretty strong and somewhat dismissive. I agree, and I also saw the same in Chettlar in a sense, like I said, it's never easy joining a community and you do get defensive. So you know what you're right, I'm honestly going to put this behind me. I honestly see no way where the way I post won't annoy you, so I'm asking you to put me on ignore. It doesn't seem likely we'll ever play Halo together, or interact so I think it's for the best. Cheers.

On a side note, I have posted way too much since I've joined. When I was banned, did it really hit how much it actually was. Often times, my posts are wordy, unnecessarily long walls of text. So I'm probably going to stop posting until E3, maybe later.
See Madness, I’m going to be polite as possible here. I told you it was a joke on multiple occasions, I’m sorry if you thought I was being serious. I joke about other posters too, sometimes not even in their presence—but every one of those jokes there is no malice intent (and anybody knows that I tend to joke more than be serious). I’m not that way, if I have an serious issue with you, I’ll confront you directly and if you’ve followed my more serious confrontations you can notice that I can be direct. Yes, some posters can be annoying on occasions but I harbor no Ill will against them. I am not the police and I’m not here to dictate what people do in their free time.

You should post whatever you feel like. The thing is that people will always judge you, regardless. This is thing that you have to accept. Cowering to the pressure to self edit just so people will like or accept you helps nobody. Bowing down is also something you should not do if you really like doing what you do.

Also please stop suggesting that I should block you, I’ve never put you on my ignore list. I’ll dictate who I put on my list, which at this point is literally nobody (Yes, you read that correctly).

Elzar is a whore.

uh okay the past couple pages have been interesting.

anyways, im surprised OddOne didn't bring it up since he was posting in the other thread. looks like the dream is dead.

Booshka

If you want more non ADS goodness, I'm watching Booshka's Shadowrun gameplay and good loooord do I miss this game.

The GOAT console FPS is we're judging just competetive gameplay alone. I miss playing it... hope there's a next gen remake/sequel.

http://www.twitch.tv/booshka/c/4303209

Dat depth of combat

Shadowrun Anniversary is only 3 years away, I believe. heh : /

Thanks for checking out the channel, been having a ton of fun playing Shadowrun lately, game is so good, still top 1 game of all time for me. Based John Howard.

Here's another quick highlight.

checkmate

Seriously, though, an opinion without reason/understanding is pointless. I'm a big fan of Halo and a big fan of metal music. I can explain my reasons for why I enjoy that musical style or even specific sub-genres. And if this were a discussion board for metal fans, how well do you think it would go for someone coming in and saying something like "since autotune/dubstep/rap/whatever has been used in some of the more successful pop music, then surely it belongs in metal"? Or "I'm not really a fan of Metallica's Black Album, but boy, that St. Anger is probably the best shit ever produced." Of course, to understand why these are bad, this requires a knowledge of what makes metal, metal, or in the second case, Metallica, Metallica. Strangely enough, the same is required for a useful opinion on Halo. The reactions to such absurdities are equally similar.

I like Sprint but the game flow are not designed with sprint in mind, playing other games makes you understant how sprint could be viable in Halo but it looks like they just put it and see what happens, adding perks to empowers it were bad too. Now the ADS possibility arise from nowhere and the game is no prepared for such change of gameplay.

Woorloog

Banned
I really wouldn't be surprised if Halo 2 Anniversary won't have Halo 2 MP. And even if it does, i have never believed it would have have that many maps (simply too much work, especially considering we're getting a new Halo next year anyway. If there were 2 or 3 year gap, i could believe it having many maps).

In any case, we're reading too much into a single smiley, especially rather neutral one.
The Halo 5 BR seemingly having reflex sight doesn't tell us anything either really.

Speaking on things I would welcome to Halo chief among them would be increased player count. I'd liek to see at least one game-type in a future Halo that had Battlefield level of players on map at the same time. Imagine Halo (good Halo too) with 64 players. That would be awesome. I'd like to see vehicle only modes like Tank Deathmatch or something. I would love to see Firefight come back with an enhanced editor that allowed us to create our own maps for it or at least modify existing ones.
Frank shared his opinion about this when I was lucky enough to get his reply back.

He said although the idea of having BF's 64 players makes sense it's taking OG BTB and radically changing a whole lot. But instead players favor enjoying small scale symmetrical battles.

GhaleonEB

iMax said:
Just because I express an opinion, contrary to what you might think, I really don't have to qualify it against your ideals or justify it with evidence in order to validate its merit.
If this is all you want to do, what you are looking for is Twitter, not NeoGAF. As was pointed out, it's right there in the description of the site (and in the ToS, for that matter). And just tactically, as a word of advice, community threads tend to be more tight knit by their nature. Dropping in with a controversial opinion is fine, but when you do so, you should expect a conversation to ensure. Holding up your hands and saying you don't need to explain your opinion vacates the need to post it in the first place.

That said, we should probably get this thread back on track. It had a nice long run of being on topic, which ended with the new round of Halo 5 news. I figured it would take over the thread for a few days, but here we are, still. Let's get the focus back to Halo 4, and use the Gaming side thread as an outlet for Halo 5 discussion. (Find an appropriate thread or make a new one.)

Woorloog

Banned
I wonder if Halo 5 Covie weapons will finally have actual sights... The UNSC weapons not having proper sights in some cases is acceptable due to the very common use of HUDs (especially assuming the Marine's tactical eye display is as common as it was in Halo CE*).
But the Covies?
Of course, with their weapon's effective range being silly low, i guess they don't need to aim really...

*I never forgave Bungie for not including them in Halo 2 and 3

lawful

Banned
3ZfizEa.jpg

I'm done.

ElRenoRaven

I can't agree about player count not getting a cloud or large multiplayer mode. Mix in AI and Halo multiplayer battles with expanded vehicles would be insanely fun to play with a large party or 3. Most loved 3's two scarabs battle.

I'm always for modes with arena but I get frustrated when new modes are shot down to open up to new things. Halo 2 clans are mentioned a lot so imagine a ranked BTB style mix. Yes please.

Bit late but yea same here. Halo is a property that could very well support high player counts. You could of course still have 16 player maps but you could make a new mode and have a set of maps for it that are akin to Battlefield etc. I remember before Halo 2 came out EGM had a feature where they speculated on what we could see from Halo 2's multiplayer and they had an idea I loved.

Thanks to the changes now they could easily say this is a simulation of past battles. You could have say 64 player battles set on a battlefield. Maybe even give teams objectives to carry out over the course of the battle. Think something almost Return to Castle Wolfenstein like multiplayer wise. Maybe one team defends these objectives etc and one has to complete them or even both teams have objectives to carry out. Take the beach map or depot map from RTCW as examples of how a match could play. Course this would require some work and I think Armor Abilities would have to go but So be that cause most people don't like them anyway. But imagine this. You in the middle of this epic battle. It would be awesome as hell.

willow ve

So Halo.

If H2A doesn't hold multiplayer numbers (assuming it even has multiplayer over Live) will that be a justification to further chase the "modern shooter" vibe?

It's only because they're purposely trying to deceive you into mindlessly buying their new product, if I'm summarizing that leak conversation thread correctly.

I know you're joking, but what would you say happened with Halo 4 then? We all remember how much they hyped that game, yet look what we received at launch. I mean.. feeling "deceived" is the last thing I want to think about with one of my favorite franchises, but in reality is that not what happened? Spartan Ops this, Spartan Ops that. Master Chief's grand return this, Master Chief's epic journey that. And let's not even talk about the good ol' switch-a-roo with the multiplayer..

The key word in your post was "purposely," so let's focus on that. 343 obviously knew what they were going to ship at launch, yet they still painted Halo 4 in this amazing light. So I ask, should they have just not marketed it at all or should they have done it differently? I think they way they went about it just shows the lack of transparency with devs/publishers and leaves fans feeling deceived, and honestly.. can you blame them? Were fans not purposely deceived? Sure, at the end of the day they're trying to sell a game, but I think people may be justified in believing they were "purposely deceived" in order to sell more of an unpolished product. All things considered, I can understand people having reservations, being cautious, or even being skeptical about 343's marketing strategies going forward.

EDIT:
I can't agree about player count not getting a cloud or large multiplayer mode. Mix in AI and Halo multiplayer battles with expanded vehicles would be insanely fun to play with a large party or 3. Most loved 3's two scarabs battle.

I'm always for modes with arena but I get frustrated when new modes are shot down to open up to new things. Halo 2 clans are mentioned a lot so imagine a ranked BTB style mix. Yes please.
Bit late but yea same here. Halo is a property that could very well support high player counts. You could of course still have 16 player maps but you could make a new mode and have a set of maps for it that are akin to Battlefield etc. I remember before Halo 2 came out EGM had a feature where they speculated on what we could see from Halo 2's multiplayer and they had an idea I loved.

Thanks to the changes now they could easily say this is a simulation of past battles. You could have say 64 player battles set on a battlefield. Maybe even give teams objectives to carry out over the course of the battle. Think something almost Return to Castle Wolfenstein like multiplayer wise. Maybe one team defends these objectives etc and one has to complete them or even both teams have objectives to carry out. Take the beach map or depot map from RTCW as examples of how a match could play. Course this would require some work and I think Armor Abilities would have to go but So be that cause most people don't like them anyway. But imagine this. You in the middle of this epic battle. It would be awesome as hell.
Firefight Versus + Invasion sounds like it could be a mode to scratch this very itch. The potential for these two modes can be huge for H2A/H5.

Fuchsdh

I know you're joking, but what would you say happened with Halo 4 then? We all remember how much they hyped that game, yet look what we received at launch. I mean.. feeling "deceived" is the last thing I want to think about with one of my favorite franchises, but in reality is that not what happened? Spartan Ops this, Spartan Ops that. Master Chief's grand return this, Master Chief's epic journey that. And let's not even talk about the good ol' switch-a-roo with the multiplayer..

The key word in your post was "purposely," so let's focus on that. 343 obviously knew what they were going to ship at launch, yet they still painted Halo 4 in this amazing light. So I ask, should they have just not marketed it at all or should they have done it differently? I think they way they went about it just shows the lack of transparency with devs/publishers and leaves fans feeling deceived, and honestly.. can you blame them? Were fans not purposely deceived? Sure, at the end of the day they're trying to sell a game, but I think people may be justified in believing they were "purposely deceived" in order to sell more of an unpolished product. All things considered, I can understand people having reservations, being cautious, or even being skeptical about 343's marketing strategies going forward.

EDIT:

Firefight Versus + Invasion sounds like it could be a mode to scratch this very itch.

Purposefully deceived? No way in hell. We knew going into it everything that was going to be in it (or more importantly if that's how you think, what features weren't); hell we even knew the full intended DLC plans via the season pass.

Just because many players don't prefer the Infinity gameplay doesn't mean they were lying about anything.

The most shit you can throw their way was if you believe the trial DLC was just ass-covering by Microsoft after they accidentally made it free for everyone or not.

lawful

Banned
Purposefully deceived? No way in hell. We knew going into it everything that was going to be in it (or more importantly if that's how you think, what features weren't); hell we even knew the full intended DLC plans via the season pass.

Just because many players don't prefer the Infinity gameplay doesn't mean they were lying about anything.

The most shit you can throw their way was if you believe the trial DLC was just ass-covering by Microsoft after they accidentally made it free for everyone or not.

By the time we knew the full details on Halo 4 MP it was too late. Not a damned thing could be done. They may not have lied, but they sure kept the truth to themselves until the 11th hour.

Sordid

Halo 2 Games: 483 (hey, I was young and single!)
Halo 3 Games: 4730
Reach Games: 1938
Halo 4 Games: 244

:(

Purposefully deceived? No way in hell.

I seem to remember something like this was said:

'A fan of classic Halo? Halo 4 will launch with a playlist that scratches that itch.'

and I'm pretty sure that playlist was Slayer Pro which ended up being removed because it wasn't very good. Pre Halo 4 I also remember this being said:

'We'll consolidate Halo 3/Reach playlists'

iMax

ADS is about gameplay mechanic which could or not work in Halo. It's about logic and design.

Let me be clear. All I intended to say was that I liked ADS and consequently would probably enjoy it in Halo if it were to be utilised.

Adding ADS to Halo, in my view, isn't going to 'break' Halo. As a mechanic, it works. That's been proven in other games. A lot of people will love it and a lot of people will hate it. Depending on how 343i wants to move Halo forward, they might use it and they might not. Same goes for a bunch of other things they might elect to use. In this case, I really think it's a very subjective element of gameplay and there's no 'one size fits all' solution to be had. I think they've just gotta decide straight up which side to go down because I think most agree they split the player base with Halo 4 to an extent.

If this is all you want to do, what you are looking for is Twitter, not NeoGAF. As was pointed out, it's right there in the description of the site (and in the ToS, for that matter). And just tactically, as a word of advice, community threads tend to be more tight knit by their nature. Dropping in with a controversial opinion is fine, but when you do so, you should expect a conversation to ensure. Holding up your hands and saying you don't need to explain your opinion vacates the need to post it in the first place.

I completely understand where you're coming from but I really don't think it applies here. This entire discussion stemmed from me expressing a personal preference. That's literally it. As you say, it's basically a tweet. I didn't expect it to blow up like this and I didn't want it to. I said numerous times I didn't want to argue about it because I don't think it's something that can be reasoned. It's something that people are either gonna love, or hate, and no string of reasoning is gonna change that. It's a matter of personal preference. That's it.

Regardless, I'm sure I'd be perfectly happy to discuss the merits and issues associated with ADS in a civilised way. I don't think it'll change anything because it's a very nuanced topic with no 'right or wrong' answer — but when things start getting personal, people tell me to 'go shit on myself', and the discussion descends into a place I don't want to go, I'd hope you'd understand my disinterest in taking part.

Replied in bold. Either way, this will be my last reply to you. Cheers.

Look, I wrote a bunch of rebuttals to this but in reflection, I don't think it's worth adding fuel to the fire. I really don't want to upset anyone here. I was just trying to say that ADS doesn't bother me either way and that if it was introduced, it probably wouldn't bother me in the slightest. It's not something that needs to be tirelessly argued. It's futile, it's completely subjective so doesn't really concern anyone except themselves, and realistically – probably not going to happen anyway.

I have respect to everyone on HaloGAF. I come in peace.

Oh, and by the way, if 343 brings ADS to Halo, I'll be sure to run away from this thread as fast as I can.

<3

jelly

343 totally fucked the Reach playlists. They had two great playlists for new DLC, plenty of people played and it was great fun then vanished, DLC was bloody useless and then there was a billion playlists. There is something seriously wrong with playlist management, I can understand matchmaking problems but that only seems to come about from initial bone headed ideas or actual tweaks for stuff that isn't broken or having every option under the sun.

I was corrected on this many moons ago by Steelyuhas I believe, but 343 = Microsoft. It's nice to view them as an individual/separate entity, but they're really not.
I seem to remember something like this was said:

'A fan of classic Halo? Halo 4 will launch with a playlist that scratches that itch.'

and I'm pretty sure that playlist was Slayer Pro which ended up being removed because it wasn't very good. Pre Halo 4 I also remember this being said:

'We'll consolidate Halo 3/Reach playlists'

The sad part is that this happened with Bungie as well. With every single release they marketed, "Going back to CE roots and a return to classic gameplay." Same shit's happening with 343 right now, but we'll see if they stay true to their word.

EDIT:
343 totally fucked the Reach playlists. They had two great playlists for new DLC, plenty of people played and it was great fun then vanished, DLC was bloody useless and then there was a billion playlists. There is something seriously wrong with playlist management, I can understand matchmaking problems but that only seems to come about from initial bone headed ideas or actual tweaks for stuff that isn't broken or having every option under the sun.
A Custom Games Browser could have helped with so many issues people have with multiplayer, so here's to hoping we'll finally see one in H2A/H5.

I think the stockpile achievement is nearly impossible to achieve due that

I think we're going to see more games without ADS again (I have a theory*). Titanfall with Halo's shooting mechanics would have made that game much better IMO.

*One day I'll discuss it more in depth for a thread I have in mind, but I notice some trends happening that seem like they may "reset" the current FPS cycle to pre-MW domination. -fingers crossed-

Chettlar

Banned
I'm done with this conversation after this. I realize the response is late.

Except in this case, it is subjective and entirely relevant. There is no right or wrong answer and it's impossible to prove anyone right or wrong.

Entirely subjective eh? Well then, if we went off the things I like, we would make a game entirely about fighting undead hunters with gravity hammars where everybody has jet packs and magic.

But ya know, while this idea sounds PERFECT for my person tastes (Yes, I am being entirely serious. I would so play that), in all honesty, it wouldn't be good for Halo. Demanding that a series I love, like Halo (and yes, only Halo would work because only Halo has hunters and gravity hammars), move to this kind of game would be selfish. Rude to the entire players base which, if I were to have my way, would have NOTHING. So you know what, as much as I would love a game like that, I'm not going to suggest that, and would never bring it up, because I understand that it would only serve to further alienate tens of thousands of Halo players.

Listen, there's this rule about life. I know about it, because people like, you know, EVILORE run their forums and discussion boards and debate clubs etc. by it. It goes like this:

If you don't have a reason for your opinion, it's probably dumb. In fact, I feel like I recall bish saying that once, for that matter.

EDIT: whoops, didn't see Ghaleons post. Sorry.

Top Bottom