• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

lizardwizarding

Neo Member
If 343 would perhaps release a video showing a quick little 30-second vignette of the BXR, BXB and double-shot with no narration-, fades to black and you see a super-bounce... Holiday 2014. Halo 2 Remastered in Halo 4 -- A launching point of things to come.

How many of you would shit themselves. Don't be shy.

Chettlar

Banned
If 343 would perhaps release a video showing a quick little 30-second vignette of the BXR, BXB and double-shot with no narration-, fades to black and you see a super-bounce... Holiday 2014. Halo 2 Remastered in Halo 4 -- A launching point of things to come.

How many of you would shit themselves. Don't be shy.

A glitch shown off in a trailer?

I can dig it.

lizardwizarding

Neo Member
A glitch shown off in a trailer?

I can dig it.

Yeah like, no fluff. It would clearly be in the current engine, or some form of it. A true remaster, all the particulars in 4 tweaked to emulate H2, the whole map package. Say the MC Collection is just campaign outsourced and this is clearly a separate entity that 343 worked on specifically to test engagement and interest for Halo 5's direction (think H2 Remastered/Halo 5 beta as the same thing).

It's the only other solution that comes to mind that I'd be content with.

Chettlar

Banned
As I said before, Halo 2 Anniversary needs to be EXACTLY as Halo 2 was, with all the glitches and everything.

Then Halo 5 needs to be that same style of multiplayer, but without the glitches, new maps, etc.

That way people who play purely for memories/nostalgia/etc. can play Halo 2, which will be a perfectly accurate redo. People who just love classic multiplayer can play Halo 5.

II SHABUTIE II

Neo Member
I did a quick stencil version of the H5 logo.... I don't know if they can pull off the Halo 4 style logo again.

ha5_zpsad342b9e.png

ha52_zpscc60b123.png

lizardwizarding

Neo Member
Think about it though... If it bodes well and people are into it they finally go forward with what H3 should have been all along. They 'naturally evolve' the glitches from H2 and incorporate them into their own systems for H5 based on the data from the H2R/H5 beta.

They make the melee fights robust (BXB), reward you for button combos of weapon combinations (double-shotting evolved/YY'ing/BXR) by getting more powerful attacks -- this could be much more intuitive evolution of H2's gameplay style into 'perks' and 'armor abilites'. Hell, everyone knows H1 required button combos to master as well (double-melee, switch reloading, etc).

You bring back the nading of weapons, static power-weapons and power-ups; and the only advantage you can gain on your opponents aside from map control and team shooting is literally mastering the combos. That feeling of being able to come back when you're down a shot would be even more earned now as it would be encouraged, and not simply a glitch.

I did a quick stencil version of the H5 logo.... I don't know if they can pull off the Halo 4 style logo again.

ha5_zpsad342b9e.png

ha52_zpscc60b123.png

Or they could mirror the ring horizontally for the first time and add the embellishment on the top.

Chettlar

Banned
Think about it though... If it bodes well and people are into it they finally go forward with what H3 should have been all along. They 'naturally evolve' the glitches from H2 and incorporate them into their own systems for H5 based on the data from the H2R/H5 beta.

They make the melee fights robust (BXB), reward you for button combos of weapon combinations (double-shotting evolved/YY'ing/BXR) by getting more powerful attacks -- this could be much more intuitive evolution of H2's gameplay style into 'perks' and 'armor abilites'. Hell, everyone knows H1 required button combos to master as well (double-melee, switch reloading, etc).

You bring back the nading of weapons, static power-weapons and power-ups; and the only advantage you can gain on your opponents aside from map control and team shooting is literally mastering the combos. That feeling of being able to come back when you're down a shot would be even more earned now as it would be encouraged, and not simply a glitch.

My main qualm with that would be simplicity. We need more simplicity, not less of it. Button combos ups complexity, and it's pretty needless. Pretty soon your golden triangle turns into a bunch of different shapes attached to each other all in a mess. Not saying design can't mitigate that, but there's only so much careful organization can do. I feel like it's needless.

More importantly, it's rather difficult to understand without long tutorials. One of the great things about Halo, and why it's always been accessible, since CE, is that it's so simple. Learn the controls, and you're good. You'll figure the rest out for yourself.

In simplicity, is freedom, as the saying goes. Halo is very much about freedom and expressive, creative play. The less linear type things (like button combos) and the more simulator-esque simple tools, the better imo.

ha5_zpsad342b9e.png

I like this one.

lizardwizarding

Neo Member
My main qualm with that would be simplicity. We need more simplicity, not less of it. Button combos ups complexity, and it's pretty needless. Pretty soon your golden triangle turns into a bunch of different shapes attached to each other all in a mess. Not saying design can't mitigate that, but there's only so much careful organization can do. I feel like it's needless.

I like this one.

I don't really follow, H1 to even H3 had button glitches that dramatically altered combat. How you shoot and perform your melee/gun/grenade kill doesn't change the fact that the kill was made with (solely) those means and not an outside factor.

I'm not suggesting anything like ordnance or 'presents' for pulling things off. Think active-reloading in GoW, slide-jumping, etc. Not suggesting any sort of non interrupt-able animations that are a single button press away, and so on. No actual speed-boosting/overshield-like qualities of the rewards -- think more an extension of whatever action you just initiated (for instance: double-shotting a target 2-3 times and getting hit-markers within a 30 second period would let you 'bank' a quad-shot to be pulled off via the same button combo press.)

It's the opposite of needless honestly, it adds depth to an already stagnate multiplayer shooter. This doesn't change any of the core tennets of what Halo has always been -- it hyper-contextualizes them in a way that isn't scoffed as a 'glitch' or un-intended. (Based on my example in the previous paragraph you could concoct so many awesome things to make use of with grenades/bouncing/strafing/etc. All mechanics already in Halo and none of the additions would be permanent -- you would need the skill to pull them off.)

More importantly, it's rather difficult to understand without long tutorials. One of the great things about Halo, and why it's always been accessible, since CE, is that it's so simple. Learn the controls, and you're good. You'll figure the rest out for yourself.

Fighting game tutorials (KI for example) have come a long way. There's a tutorial in Titanfall. I'd like to think the Halo audience isn't a bunch of babbies and can't learn. We sure as hell all had to learn (the unofficial and un-endorsed) glitches in the previous Halo's to hold our own. There's no reason we couldn't again, especially if it was sanctioned by 343 this time 'round.

iMax

Gears of War had iron sights just for the Hammerburst, and it was actually pretty cool and useful. The pace/movement/etc. is different, sure, but in a 3rd person cover shooter where you can roll around and roadie run it never seemed like something that would make sense in Gears. Some of my CoD friends were in love with that game when the Hammerburst was changed, so maybe the perception of "ADS shooting in Halo" will be a better way to attract more people over something as drastic as changing the core formula (ie: ADS for all weapons or even something like random Global Ordnance in H4). After all, we experienced crazier additions, like these bad boys:

Interested to hear your thoughts iMax, if you're still around. Would a few weapons with ADS be something you'd be interested in, granted they were decent?

Side Thought: I mentioned the Plasma Rifle earlier and it made me think of the stun. A unique/diversified sandbox >

+1 Plasma stun

Yeah, especially if the idea of the HUD is to eliminate the use of ADS, I wonder if necessitating the use of ADS on Promethean weapons would i) make sense and ii) differentiate them from UNSC weapons.

So I just played with Scooby, Kaos, and Awesome Barlow, and Halo 4 was a reasonable amount of fun... except for the crazy game where I got an Untouchable by busting a guy off my Wraith by shooting the ground in front of me mere seconds before the game ended. Probably cost Halo 4 another player due to a rage-coma, but oh well.

IHaveIce

Banned
Ok so what happened? Somehow it reads like it was more or less confirmed H2A will just be a Halo 4 map pack?
If it is I really stop supporting 343 in any form this kind of stupidity is just insane.

Why would you do the sane fucking mistake like with Anniversary.
If this is true... Frank you better be praying that we don'tdon't meet each other at PAX :/

Dream isis dead, hype is dead - same with halo.

Unbelievable.

lizardwizarding

Neo Member
Ok so what happened? Somehow it reads like it was more or less confirmed H2A will just be a Halo 4 map pack?
If it is I really stop supporting 343 in any form this kind of stupidity is just insane.

Why would you do the sane fucking mistake like with Anniversary.
If this is true... Frank you better be praying that we don'tdon't meet each other at PAX :/

Dream isis dead, hype is dead - same with halo.

Unbelievable.

Someone didn't take his medicine.

lizardwizarding

Neo Member
Not in a sense of violence or a threat, just because I would probably really want to discuss it.

Who are you again?

Edit: oh r/halo is also here :/

Yeah, who are you?

edit- I'm not from r/halo and I don't know what that jackass is referencing...

Not someone from /r/Halo... where the slrp is strong.

Edit: i dont know you, but /r/Halo is terrible.

Why are you responding to me?

So I just played with Scooby, Kaos, and Awesome Barlow, and Halo 4 was a reasonable amount of fun... except for the crazy game where I got an Untouchable by busting a guy off my Wraith by shooting the ground in front of me mere seconds before the game ended. Probably cost Halo 4 another player due to a rage-coma, but oh well.

Woah.. Barlowwww. That's a name I haven't seen in a while.

Chettlar

Banned
I don't really follow, H1 to even H3 had button glitches that dramatically altered combat. How you shoot and perform your melee/gun/grenade kill doesn't change the fact that the kill was made with (solely) those means and not an outside factor.

I'm not suggesting anything like ordnance or 'presents' for pulling things off. Think active-reloading in GoW, slide-jumping, etc. Not suggesting any sort of non interrupt-able animations that are a single button press away, and so on. No actual speed-boosting/overshield-like qualities of the rewards -- think more an extension of whatever action you just initiated (for instance: double-shotting a target 2-3 times and getting hit-markers within a 30 second period would let you 'bank' a quad-shot to be pulled off via the same button combo press.)

It's the opposite of needless honestly, it adds depth to an already stagnate multiplayer shooter. This doesn't change any of the core tennets of what Halo has always been -- it hyper-contextualizes them in a way that isn't scoffed as a 'glitch' or un-intended. (Based on my example in the previous paragraph you could concoct so many awesome things to make use of with grenades/bouncing/strafing/etc. All mechanics already in Halo and none of the additions would be permanent -- you would need the skill to pull them off.)

It adds cheap depth that really isn't depth. It's just an excuse to keep something in the game for the sake of nostalgia. It is not, in and of itself, a good design choice, and never would have been brought up had the glitches not been there.

Fighting game tutorials (KI for example) have come a long way. There's a tutorial in Titanfall. I'd like to think the Halo audience isn't a bunch of babbies and can't learn. We sure as hell all had to learn (the unofficial and un-endorsed) glitches in the previous Halo's to hold our own. There's no reason we couldn't again, especially if it was sanctioned by 343 this time 'round.

It's not about that. It's about simplicity. That's what makes Halo great. Tutorials are a bad thing.

The point of user interface is to make it as invisible as possible. Tutorials fly right in the face of that.

Nirvana

The last few pages of discussion have been quite a saga.

I have to say though, if there is one thing I hate in an argument, it is someone pulling the old 'well it's all subjective, isn't it?' comment out, in some strange attempt to both prove their point and totally nullify it at the same time. If all opinions are equally valid then all opinions are also equally invalid, thus, it's a stupid argument to make and shouldn't be brought into rational discussion - because it denotes that discussion is fruitless in the first place.

Also, what's all this I hear about H2A just being a set of Halo 4 maps or something? I will be fucking devastated if that's the case.

It's not about that. It's about simplicity. That's what makes Halo great. Tutorials are a bad thing.

The point of user interface is to make it as invisible as possible. Tutorials fly right in the face of that.
How can teaching players advanced tech from within your game be a bad thing?

Chettlar

Banned

Because that's what makes Halo shine. As I was talking about, simplicity eliminates the amount of interface between you and what you do in the game. We dislike ADS because it restricts what a player can do (he can only shoot properly when aiming, thus preventing him from meleeing and grenading when he wishes). We dislike loadouts because they create different starting points for players, causing the game to focus more on what the game, and random chance decides will happen. These things take control away from the gamers. It kills strategy. The more pseudochoices you add, the less your opponent can act on what you do, since there is no prediction involved. Strategy is practically all about prediction. You make plans based on what you think the other player will do. If you can't know whatsoever, then what's the point of planning? Quickly it turns into "JUST SHOOT" or "PRESS ALL THE WEIRD MELEE COMBO BUTTONS" which is not the intelligent, creative, open, freeing play that Halo is known for.

As I said above, an important thing in UI design (in this case the controls of the game) is to make it as invisible as possible (except in cases where the game is all about button combos and things, which Halo is not). You want people to interact with what they are doing, not the controller itself. The controller becomes an extension of them. Doing this, you free the player to do as minimal interaction with the "middleman" or the controller, and instead allow them to simply do what they want.

Fewer QTEs, button combos, and other things that take players out of the game.

One exception I'll note really quick (which is interesting to me, since I just explained why I'm generally against this kind of thing), is assassinations. I like them, a lot. Two reasons: 1. they are not required. You can just hit someone on the back, and they're dead like normal. If they were required, I don't know that I'd feel too hot about them. 2. It makes sense that they'd pull you out of the game. It leaves you vulnerable, because if you really were to be performing an assassination out in the open, you would indeed be open to shots. If you want to restrict yourself like that for a little glory and XP and whatever, then you can do that.

How can teaching players advanced tech from within your game be a bad thing?

This does a good job of explaining it.

It's not about explaining advanced tech. Sometimes tutorials are necessary. That doesn't mean we want them.

iMax

The last few pages of discussion have been quite a saga.

I have to say though, if there is one thing I hate in an argument, it is someone pulling the old 'well it's all subjective, isn't it?' comment out, in some strange attempt to both prove their point and totally nullify it at the same time. If all opinions are equally valid then all opinions are also equally invalid, thus, it's a stupid argument to make and shouldn't be brought into rational discussion - because it denotes that discussion is fruitless in the first place.

Also, what's all this I hear about H2A just being a set of Halo 4 maps or something? I will be fucking devastated if that's the case.

The discussion was fruitless in the first place. I literally just said 'I quite like ADS'. I wasn't interested in an argument. Everyone else was. Why are we still talking about this?

What in the actual fuck is going on anymore

Unconfirmed Halo 4:2 and HaloGAF is at each others throats.

I can't

It's all based on a tweet of a leak of an unverified snatched glimpse of an buttock on a train retweeted in a PM. Hold the meltdowns until E3.

H2 in H4 engine seems unlikely to me because it'd mean porting a 2 year old 360 game to One hardware in order to fashion an appropriation of a ten year old games multiplayer. And then calling it a 'giant leap forward'. If that were the case, the DNA of the project would be pretty underwhelming.

But...

If it were to happen, most posters here would still splurge forth onto their keyboards proclaiming "DAY ONE!!!!!!GIVEITTOMENOWSTINKLES!!!" with cum-covered fingers when they see it unveiled if for no other reason that none of us have seen a Halo game run at 60 FPS with the graphical prowess that the latest consoles can produce. Frankie spoke of being awestruck at the 'fidelity' of something he had seen. Aesthetically, it's certain to look amazing and most of us will be blown away.

And if it was a modded Halo 4 engine, what then? They'd have to patch an SMG in, patch de scope in, patch Flagg juggling in and the flagnum out, patch sprint out, add momentum based melees, reskin the sniper and its scope UI(cause that H4 model is revolting) reskin the beam rifle and BR etc. At that point you'd have to check its dental records to recognise it as Halo 4. People will forget all that once they see Midship, Turf and Terminal being played by Neighbor and Toshi.

Plus, I can't see them releasing H2A with the button glitches intact. People speak of H2 having a large skill gap in Halo terms and a big part of that is the glitches. They sure as shit can't mean the shooting skill gap cause the magnetism is as high as Halo 4's and sweep sniping is prevalent.

Here's a chocolate kebab

tumblr_n42u15ixvh1qzcv7no3_1280.png

Because that's what makes Halo shine. As I was talking about, simplicity eliminates the amount of interface between you and what you do in the game. We dislike ADS because it restricts what a player can do (he can only shoot properly when aiming, thus preventing him from meleeing and grenading when he wishes).
Doesn't have to.
Quickly it turns into "JUST SHOOT" or "PRESS ALL THE WEIRD MELEE COMBO BUTTONS" which is not the intelligent, creative, open, freeing play that Halo is known for.
This is just crazy. So because Halo CE and Halo 2 had button combos, they're not as intelligent, creative and open as Halo 3, Reach and Halo 4? Found an old post:
. . . the button glitches that made everything more useful. You could run out of Pistol ammo in a battle, press XXY (backpack reload) as your AR comes out. You continue fighting as you hear the Pistol reloading, sure it doesn't make SENSE, but this brought a new dimension to Halo's meta game . . . You run out of AR bullets and switch back to a fully loaded Pistol.

• Backpack reloading -> Sped up the pace of the game and kept players shooting/in the action.
  • Double melee -> Risk/Reward. No lunge. You needed a 'nade so if you just spammed the double melee blindly, chances are you'd either kill yourself or waste all of your grenades.
Two harmless button combos that seriously helped with making the gameplay even more fluid than it already was.

* Why can't they bring they bring back something as harmless as backpack reloading or little "glitches" (ie: reload frames melee cancel)? They could easily make an Advanced Tutorials section detailing Halo's meta game for all types of players.
Many games have button combos that eventually become second nature. Melee without wavedashing and L cancel would not be as competitive as it was. In fact, button combos and animation cancels (something I'd like to see return to Halo as well) made the game play much better and allowed for subpar characters to become more viable competitively.
As I said above, an important thing in UI design (in this case the controls of the game) is to make it as invisible as possible (except in cases where the game is all about button combos and things, which Halo is not). You want people to interact with what they are doing, not the controller itself. The controller becomes an extension of them. Doing this, you free the player to do as minimal interaction with the "middleman" or the controller, and instead allow them to simply do what they want.

Fewer QTEs, button combos, and other things that take players out of the game.
I'm guessing you must not play any games with button combos or other "glitches" that alters gameplay in any way.

EDIT:
They sure as shit can't mean the shooting skill gap cause the magnetism is as high as Halo 4's and sweep sniping is prevalent.

Halo 2 by far had the most aim assist; that shit's on another level.

From most to least: H2 -> Reach -> H4 -> H3 -> CE (not 100% sure between Reach/H4, but I can't forget that passenger seat aim assist in Reach lol)

FyreWulff

From most to least: H2 -> Reach -> H4 -> H3 -> CE (not 100% sure between Reach/H4, but I can't forget that passenger seat aim assist in Reach lol)

You'll have to specify Reach TU vs Reach Vanilla

For me it'd be like

TU Reach > Halo 2 > Halo 4 > Vanilla Reach ~= Halo 3 > CE

I remember sitting down at Halofest for my first game of TU Slayer and going "what the fuck" at the autoaim/bullet magnetism

edit: for those that don't remember, the TU Needle Rifle can be fired at someone's crotch and you'll be awarded a headshot

In Halo 4 I never bother for true headsets, I just aim at the upper-chestish area and let the engine do the rest of the work for me

Skele7on

Banned
Halo 2 by far had the most aim assist; that shit's on another level.

HAHAHA DAT AIM ASSIST Beam Rifle and warthog, truly amazing.

TheXbox

I kind of hope that H2A is just a Halo 4 port/map pack. Frankie damage control is always a good time, and at least then we can all come to terms with Halo being officially dead.

You'll have to specify Reach TU vs Reach Vanilla

For me it'd be like

TU Reach > Halo 2 > Halo 4 > Vanilla Reach ~= Halo 3 > CE

I remember sitting down at Halofest for my first game of TU Slayer and going "what the fuck" at the autoaim/bullet magnetism

edit: for those that don't remember, the TU Needle Rifle can be fired at someone's crotch and you'll be awarded a headshot
More than H2?? No way. And for Vanilla Reach, I think there's far more aim assist than Halo 3. Hitscan plus aim assist on Reach Sniper = GG, whereas H3's Sniper felt more skill-demanding.

As for your edit, that sounds like it was just an issue, maybe with bloom.
HAHAHA DAT AIM ASSIST Beam Rifle and warthog, truly amazing.
dat Revenant passenger Sniper tho

Chettlar

Banned
Doesn't have to.

This is just crazy. So because Halo CE and Halo 2 had button combos, they're not as intelligent, creative and open as Halo 3, Reach and Halo 4? Found an old post:

No. I didn't say that. I'm saying they hurt what was already there. 3, Reach, and 4 had worse problems that made them even less intelligent, creative, and open.

I want simplicity in Halo. That's what makes it different, accessible, and yet deep.

Many games have button combos that eventually become second nature. Melee without wavedashing and L cancel would not be as competitive as it was. In fact, button combos and animation cancels (something I'd like to see return to Halo as well) made the game play much better and allowed for subpar characters to become more viable competitively.

What ought to be fixed is the actual design of the game. If people want to cancel animations because they take too long, then they need to shorten the animation if that is the case, or keep them the same length and get rid of the glitch.

You sound like the people on Waypoint trying to prove that Halo 4 is a good game because it takes skill and strategy and planning and all that to use the right loadouts and powerup things button combos.

It's the same thing. Extraneous stuff that doesn't really add to the game. Just makes it more complex.

I'm guessing you must not play any games with button combos or other "glitches" that alters gameplay in any way.

I generally prefer not to, but I have. I dislike it because it's off putting, especially to newcomers. Why can't I just play the damn game without having to learn all this extra stuff?

Top Bottom