• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

FyreWulff

More than H2?? No way. And for Vanilla Reach, I think there's far more aim assist than Halo 3. Hitscan plus aim assist on Reach Sniper = GG, whereas H3's Sniper felt more skill-demanding.

As for your edit, that sounds like it was just an issue, maybe with bloom.

dat Revenant passenger Sniper tho

Halo 2 at least required you to have something in the reticule. TU Reach you can aim at air and get a magnetized headshot. This happens in zero bloom.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
ibs2o4yRjYvBpA.gif
lol

uh okay the past couple pages have been interesting.

anyways, im surprised OddOne didn't bring it up since he was posting in the other thread. looks like the dream is dead.

Hmm, we will see. Even if this is true, I doubt it will be something like the Anniversary maps for Reach and will be something closer to a hybrid of the two games, with Halo 2 weapons, 'physics', etc. being introduced to the Halo 4 suite.

Lol at thuway not knowing they've already announced that Halo 5 won't be coming this year.

Has Shinobi actually leaked anything before that has turned out true (except the concept art embargo)?

Wait so where did this H2A map pack for H4 thing came up?

Am I reading this right or could it be H2A with H4 MP in it?

I will be very sad if either are true.

Even if we get that map pack I hope MS/343 would at least keep the MP intact for the MC collection.

DeadNames

Banned
Halo 4s MP, at its core, is pretty good.

I don't see why everyone else if freaking out. There's nothing inherently wrong with it. Classes just ruin it h-core.

Reach was trying to polish a turd, halo 4 is wiping the shit off a diamond.

I was terrrrrible at Halo 2. I got discouraged fast and barely even tried. Then Halo 3 came out and the same thing happened. It wasn't till the summer of 2010 that I really started playing Halo 3 MP and tried to get good. I wish I would have stuck with it earlier, cause I barely scratched the surface of Halo 2 MP.

YALL ARE BBs

I don't think there are many HaloGAFers older than me, Ghaleon, and Squidhands. Fyrewulff and Senador are my age, too, I think? I'm sure Karl has all of our ages and social security numbers on a spreadsheet somewhere.

I think I am the oldest.

I don't see why everyone else if freaking out. There's nothing inherently wrong with it. Classes just ruin it h-core.

What good is a core when playlists and general settings obscure it?

Striker

The obstacle you had to overcome in Reach was bloom once you increased the base speed and jump, and removed the AA's. In Halo 4 you need to have one set loadout (because they're always active), remove AA's but keep specific perks so you can pick up grenades (wtf), and use Turbo settings (default base speed at launch was terribly slow, Halo 3 like). And despite all that, you still are in a battle with sprint and flinch. Not to mention the gametypes nightmare.

Not true since Reach is a much better game than Halo 4.

remove AA's but keep specific perks so you can pick up grenades (wtf)

Sometimes, having not played Halo 4 for a long time, I wonder whether I'm too harsh on the game. Then I'm reminded of things like this (I'd genuinely forgotton) and realise just how bad Halo 4 is. In its intentions. Stuff like that is just insulting.

Hopefully we get the little things like the sniper headshot medal and headshot stats in the post game report for Halo 5.

It sure sounds like it.

If this turns out to be true, I promise to not tell you all that I told you so.

I won't promise that.

Ah, someone who gets it.

This is where HaloGAF gets out of control. I was front and center with how bad I thought H4 was but you really thought they were going to port H2 MP within a year of H5 coming out? H4 mechanically is fine, it's the crap they put on top of it. Reach anniversary was great (until they took BTB away). It was the most fun I had in Reach. I think as long as they have the proper gametypes a map pack riding on the H4 engine is just fine packaged with all 4 campaigns.

ADS on the other hand can fuck off.

Booshka

Where did this H4 Map Pack for H2 news come from?

Shinobi Tweet a few pages back. Also, something I have been hoping for, so I can be a spectator to the salt while people rage at H2A like I did with HCEA. So bitter that I haven't been playing Halo CE MP on XBL for the past 2+ years that I hope Halo 2 Anniversary is just Halo 4 DLC.

Core Halo 4 is not fine, or good, stop fooling yourselves. Doesn't even come close to Halo 2's core mechanics.

Sordid

Reach is far from my favourite Halo game but I enjoyed it much more than 4. I played it quite a lot until 343 removed Squad Slayer /stillsalty

Halo 4 had flinch, sprint always equipped, low ammo without a perk, no grenade pickups without a perk, no red x without a perk (which was patched eventually tbf)... it wasn't great at all. Sure, mobility/movement was better than Reach which was a big issue but at it's core H4 had plenty of problems.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I played Halo 3 with my brother for a good while last night.

Things Halo 3 has that Halo 4 doesn't:
- winning actually matters
- no cross-map donging without a sniper
- equal starts
- equal mobility
- good maps
- fun

Things Halo 4 has that Halo 3 doesn't
- responsive movement

Shinobi Tweet a few pages back. Also, something I have been hoping for, so I can be a spectator to the salt while people rage at H2A like I did with HCEA. So bitter that I haven't been playing Halo CE MP on XBL for the past 2+ years that I hope Halo 2 Anniversary is just Halo 4 DLC.

Core Halo 4 is not fine, or good, stop fooling yourselves. Doesn't even come close to Halo 2's core mechanics.

Whats wrong with H4 mechanics? I am talking engine here, not flinch, perks, sprint etc.

Reach is far from my favourite Halo game but I enjoyed it much more than 4. I played it quite a lot until 343 removed Squad Slayer /stillsalty

Halo 4 had flinch, sprint always equipped, low ammo without a perk, no grenade pickups without a perk, no red x without a perk (which was patched eventually tbf)... it wasn't great at all. Sure, mobility/movement was better than Reach which was a big issue but at it's core H4 had plenty of problems.

Again, some of those are gameplay choices and not weakness in the engine. There is no reason to get a decent Halo experience with most of those things removed (or custom choices) and a decent map pack. I would have no issue with that.

Again, I am saying classic Halo gameplay and playlists using the H4 engine. Throwdown/Proving groud plays perfectly fine. Aside from the Forge maps performance. It's only probably another year for a full fledged Halo 5. I don't see why this isn't acceptable.

Remember, nobody ever announced a H2A mp port. There is no reason to fault 343 for something that never really existed.

Chettlar

Banned

- equal starts
- equal mobility
- good maps
- fun

- responsive movement

This is a really great post actually.

I was going to comment on your points, but I think you hit every one. 3 really does "handle" like you have a brick on the end of your gun.

Booshka

Whats wrong with H4 mechanics? I am talking engine here, not flinch, perks, sprint etc.

Base speed and strafe mechanics, the inability to quickly strafe back and forth is a no-go for a Halo 2 Remake. Player models are huge, it is way too easy to land shots and aim in Halo 4. Halo 2 had a ton of aim assist, but at least the player models weren't so fucking giant and easy to shoot. Both games have pretty generous hitboxes, but Halo 4 just seems way too generous in to regards to landing shots.

Crouch jumping and how that affects your player model, i.e. Ghandi Hopping in Halo 2, doesn't happen whatsoever in Halo 4. Melee mechanics are pretty terrible in Halo 2, they are janky, but there is a skill to using them, and are a lot of tricks you can do to win melee battles. Jumping and falling on players while using melee, running melee, mid crouch BxB melee tactics, are all completely gone in Halo 4.

There are a ton of small details that make Halo 4 unsuitable for a Halo 2 remake imo. Something that most people wouldn't care about, but to me, it would be a joke to try and recreate Halo 2's Classic MP in Halo 4's engine. Not as much of a joke as Reach Anniversary MP, but still unacceptable.

Obviously I am way too demanding, but that is just my 2 cents.

GrizzNKev

Banned
This is a really great post actually.

I was going to comment on your points, but I think you hit every one. 3 really does "handle" like you have a brick on the end of your gun.

It wasn't that serious of a post but, Halo 3 increases my heart rate at the end of a close match because only the true winner will win. I never really felt that with Halo 4 because the faster pace didn't really let tension build.

iMax

- equal starts
- equal mobility
- good maps
- fun

- responsive movement

What's interesting about this post is that whilst its true, in my experience at least, all of the things you've listed that "Halo 3 has that Halo 4 doesn't" are, as far as I can see, just over-engine gameplay and ruleset tweaks. I'm not so sure you can change the way Halo 3 'feels' without reworking its core toolset.

What I'm getting at is if Microsoft decide to re-release Halo 3 within the form of a 'Master Chief Collection', I really think if they just built it on top of the current Halo 4 engine, make the necessary over-the-top adjustments and tweaks (including restoring the ones you listed), they'd probably have a hit on their hands.

Base speed and strafe mechanics, the inability to quickly strafe back and forth is a no-go for a Halo 2 Remake. Player models are huge, it is way too easy to land shots and aim in Halo 4. Halo 2 had a ton of aim assist, but at least the player models weren't so fucking giant and easy to shoot. Both games have pretty generous hitboxes, but Halo 4 just seems way too generous in to regards to landing shots.

Crouch jumping and how that affects your player model, i.e. Ghandi Hopping in Halo 2, doesn't happen whatsoever in Halo 4. Melee mechanics are pretty terrible in Halo 2, they are janky, but there is a skill to using them, and are a lot of tricks you can do to win melee battles. Jumping and falling on players while using melee, running melee, mid crouch BxB melee tactics, are all completely gone in Halo 4.

There are a ton of small details that make Halo 4 unsuitable for a Halo 2 remake imo. Something that most people wouldn't care about, but to me, it would be a joke to try and recreate Halo 2's Classic MP in Halo 4's engine. Not as much of a joke as Reach Anniversary MP, but still unacceptable.

Obviously I am way too demanding, but that is just my 2 cents.

Ok, strafe can be adjusted. I am not talking game play choices. I don't think you are too demanding, I'm saying who said they were ever making a Halo 2 MP remake? It makes a lot more sense that they port H4 to Xbox One and boost the population there with new maps rather than split the user base once again. Now, of course if H5 is a tart I will be as nuts as everyone. Give me a polished Halo MP experience for the next year and I am fine with that. Assault, 1 flag CTF, no perks, no loadouts. (removal of flinch would be nice). Doing this would give them the opportunity to generate 4v4 no bullshit playlists like proving ground except not on shitty Forge maps.

That would be a move in the right direction. Think about it.

What's interesting about this post is that whilst its true, in my experience at least, all of the things you've listed that "Halo 3 has that Halo 4 doesn't" are, as far as I can see, just over-engine gameplay and ruleset tweaks. I'm not so sure you can change the way Halo 3 'feels' without reworking its core toolset.

What I'm getting at is if Microsoft decide to re-release Halo 3 within the form of a 'Master Chief Collection', I really think if they just built it on top of the current Halo 4 engine, make the necessary over-the-top adjustments and tweaks (including restoring the ones you listed), they'd probably have a hit on their hands.

Dude... No. For a start, nobody is asking for a Halo 3 remake on One when you can still play it on 360.

Halo 3's entire sandbox is built around projectile based weapons. Shot leading. In Halo 4, bullets don't exist in the same way as they do in 3. They're hit scan based. Completely different.

The discussion was fruitless in the first place. I literally just said 'I quite like ADS'. I wasn't interested in an argument. Everyone else was. Why are we still talking about this?

iMax, I'll lay out exactly why your discussion caused as big a tizzy as it did. This is coming from a guy who constantly shells out shit ideas, assets and concepts and has survived on GAF long enough to keep doing so that people either don't care or have me ignored. As someone said a few pages ago, Communities on GAF are always going to be more tight-knit than general threads. In case you haven't noticed, we haven't had too many fresh young minds oriented towards "interactive cinematic gravitas" and "immersive visceral setpieces" actually stay in HaloGAF by sheer virtue of core Halo not being those things. Now, I know this brings up another issue: what is Halo? How does one Halo? Does it taste like Halo?

Let's go ahead and use majority rule in this case. "Halo fans," broadly speaking, are people who are fans of Halo. Now, as one might expect, most Halo fans stuck around for the original trilogy despite complaints during every transition, from Halo CE to OG Halo 2, from Halo 2 1.1 to Halo 3, and so on. Even when Reach came along, while populations weren't at their absolute zenith the way they were with, say, Halo 3 or Halo 4 opening night, games were still reeling in hundreds of thousands of players. Once again, we can assume these populations were fans of Halo, because Halo is Halo.

Now, cue Halo 4 two weeks in. People start leaving. Most do not come back. If Halo fans as a majority leave Halo 4 to rot with a circa 15K to 20K playerbase, it can be assumed that they didn't stop becoming fans of Halo, correct? If LIVE and the playerbases and servers still supported it, chances are those people would ultimately go back to the Halo games they knew and loved in addition to whatever other rival flavor-of-the-month games were out at the time. The problem is, the most recent pre-4 game, Reach, is still pulling in populations equivalent to Halo 4 despite being an older game. That should be clear evidence that something is wrong.

Now, sticking with this, we can assume that classic Halo has "classic Halo fans." HaloGAF is mostly made up of "classic Halo fans." We loved what the franchise was, and might love what the franchise may become, but most of us express at least some degree of disdain towards its current state. See:

To be honest, Halo 4 isn't really wiping shit off a diamond so much as it is a new janitor losing his $64,000 wedding ring in a clogged toilet and getting it flushed away in a rush to get off work early. Halo 4 played too fast and loose - not with the core gameplay, but with the prevalent gameplay - and as a result attempting to stay "hip" by borrowing modern gameplay elements shook the title to its core.

Enter ADS. Aim down sights are a typical benchmark of a modern twitch shooter, and most notably slow gameplay down. Halo fans like their gunplay slower than classic arena shooters by virtue of recharging health and grabbing health packs where necessary, but prefer to keep movement and weapon speeds optimally high. ADS is a deliberate movement-slowing and sightline-hampering mechanic, and as a result would likely clash with the ideals of most "classic Halo fans." Even if your movement speed remained the same while using ADS, it still affects sightlines and attempting to be a precision shooter while maintaining such an obscured visage would subconsciously force players to stay more cautious.

Now, here's where you come in: there's nothing inherently wrong with coming here and saying you like aim down sights, even if it does clash with classic Halo. Even though there's a broad spectrum here on what Halo should be, plenty of well-known members still have different opinions. Deadly Cyclone wants Sprint to stay in. Unknown wants Halo PC Anniversary. Juices wants a salary. Booshka wants exclusive Shadowrun skin packs. And those are all okay. You don't see any of them packing their bags and going on hiatus because not everyone agrees with them. The problem is that you didn't stick to your guns, and kept bringing it up. It's not rocket science. You start out by laying down an unpopular opinion with a sub-optimal defense for it, backpedal by saying it was just your opinion and that it's how you feel (which is never a good excuse to back out of an argument: if you don't want your feelings hurt, pull a 1984 and just do everything everyone tells you to), and then finally bring it up again because you want to drop it. Think about the inherent counterintuitivity that comes with that kind of logic. If you want people to drop it, bring up new things. Chances are people are going to be ragging on you every now and then for wanting ADS.

You also need to stop acting like you're the only one that's getting shit on for having an unpopular opinion. In case you haven't noticed, in every facet of the community - the halogaf podcast, HGS, Halo OTs, everyone shits on everyone. It's the internet, dude. It's going to happen. We didn't tell you your particular opinion was shit because we don't like you, we told you your particular opinion was shit because ADS in Halo is shiiiiiiit. I mean hell, I'm churning out fondue fountains of creamy velveteen shit whenever I megapost about Promethean biblical allegation enemy ranks, or - or theoretical Campaign continuity scenarios, or whatever. The difference is that if people don't comment or leave negative comments, I take the insight I can get and run with it. You've spent a couple days trying to justify and simultaneously un-justify yourself, but really all you need to do is move on.

Chettlar

Banned
It wasn't that serious of a post but, Halo 3 increases my heart rate at the end of a close match because only the true winner will win. I never really felt that with Halo 4 because the faster pace didn't really let tension build.

That's why I said "actually." The list is really accurate, despite your intentions.

Booshka

I take offense to Wahrer's flippant theory that I want Shadowrun skin packs.
kidding
I want the unfinished map pack DLC to be finished and released. Pretty sure the FASA studio head mentioned that all the characters looked the same because if they allowed for character customization, the framerate would suffer.

Maybe split screen Halo 4 wouldn't be so awful if there was less character customization eh?

kidding
I want the unfinished map pack DLC to be finished and released. Pretty sure the FASA studio head mentioned that all the characters looked the same because if they allowed for character customization, the framerate would suffer.

Maybe split screen Halo 4 wouldn't be so awful if there was less character customization eh?

I'm getting an XBO and the Halo 4 port so me and three other 12-year-olds can rock full steampunk weapons and prefect skins as we posh da bottons for cromson.

Chettlar

Banned
I have to say, I absolutely adore these.

lBIT7dI-1024x576.jpg

halo-4-champions-bundle-steam-punk-combustion-pistol.jpg

halo-4-champions-bundle-steam-punk-monocole-dmr.jpg

Assault-Rifle_sm.jpg

Listen, if somebody made a steam punk Halo, I would go crazy with excitement.

I mean, seriously, for the next few weeks my posts would be allkjil;jkljjafjkjalkj;lkj; kj;lkj;lkj;klj;lkj kj;l j;lk jlk j;k; jkljk; i;jioj oijpoj;lkj ;;poj; and stuff because I'd be too ecited to talk intelligibly.

To me, the better question is which would be easier to work with, for anyone that has experience with game engines/development/etc.? Would it be easier to work off Halo 4's engine and remove flinch, add descope, and all the other changes, or would it be easier to use Halo 2 and add in new things (because I seriously want to use a Grenade Launcher on Halo 2 maps)?

Also, who was rumored to be working on H2A and those ports anyway, Saber and CA?

I have been lurking quite a while here and seeing Sub-Zero getting serious feels awkward.

I've made serous posts before, I've just been trolling on gaf / Twitter for like the past year and a half.

lBIT7dI-1024x576.jpg

Assault-Rifle_sm.jpg

I mean, seriously, for the next few weeks my posts would be allkjil;jkljjafjkjalkj;lkj; kj;lkj;lkj;klj;lkj kj;l j;lk jlk j;k; jkljk; i;jioj oijpoj;lkj ;;poj; and stuff because I'd be too ecited to talk intelligibly.

pls no. I guess I had repressed these from memory, jesus.

TheOddOne

kidding

If I remember correctly, Halo 4's graphics lead and engineering Director worked on Shadowrun (Veterans of Fasa if I recall, 4-7 years).

So yeah, useless but fun fact of the day.

Juan

lBIT7dI-1024x576.jpg

Assault-Rifle_sm.jpg

Those were the best skins ever.

I bought the Champion Bundle only for those skins (and because of Pitfall).

I hope we will see some beautiful skins for our weapon and armor in Halo 5.

Woorloog

Banned
Wonderful looking weapons, though i don't think they fit Halo really. I never really liked the idea of weapon skins in Halo in the first place, it doesn't fit its world's serious nature, i think.
Engraved, gold-plated, wood-paneled weapons are cool, and even more so if they're old weapons like muskets.

I would like to see unique variants of weapons in Halo campaigns though. You know, "bosses" could have weapons that have unique skin or something.
Bosses include Brute Chieftains and Elite Zealots. Imagine a dented Plasma Rifle or a Gravity Hammer with slightly different color or such. Just small things, not full weapon skins.

Top Bottom