• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Am I the only one who wishes they'd bring back dual wielding? God I miss those SMGs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr9pWZ2PLl4
A lot of people slept on the Halo 3 SMG, but I found it to be a more effective weapon over the AR. I'd like to see dual wielding return as a "power weapon" pickup, taking away your ability to use grenades for an increase in shooting power. Replace the SAW with dual wielded SMG's, for example, and don't give them so much aim assist and ammo.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Hey GAF, got shitfaced drunk last night, and graduating today! Wish me luck!

Babbie's first beer
A lot of people slept on the Halo 3 SMG, but I found it to be a more effective weapon over the AR. I'd like to see dual wielding return as a "power weapon" pickup, taking away your ability to use grenades for an increase in shooting power. Replace the SAW with dual wielded SMG's, for example, and don't give them so much aim assist and ammo.

I have no idea if it was stronger than an AR or not but dual wielding SMGs felt powerful at least. The AR sounded like a pellet gun.

Woorloog

Banned

So essentially, there would be paired weapons as power weapons, perhaps with single magazine's worth of ammo each? That is, something you pick up and use fast and then continue normally.
The Plasma Rifles, they'd have to use their energy very fast, like 1.5 energy per shot.
In case of SMGs, they would need considerably increased accuracy (no comment on aim assist amount), i think. Perhaps not as much as the AR or SAW but still more than default SMGs have.
Intriguing idea.
In campaign DW would presumably work just as it normally does.

lawful

Banned
Im using a laptop from like 2009

I'm using a mac desktop from 2006.

Also anyone know the deal about fair use on youtube? I have this 2 hour mix I made obviously using other songs a sort of DJ set if you will but am unsure if it meets fair use requirements. I won't be putting ads on my videos for now and I'd probably keep it unlisted but they give you this warning that if you make a bogus fair use claim you could lose your channel and I definitely don't want that.

GoDs DeMoNaToR

Neo Member
How long have you been a member of NeoGAF? How long have you lurked?

I’ve been lurking for about approximately a year.

How old are you? What country or state are you posting from?

Currently 23. U.S. (Wisconsin to be exact)

How long have you been a Halo fan? Have you played all the games?

I have played all the games; however, I didn’t get extremely involved until later in Halo 2’s life cycle.
I do consider myself to be one of those Halo fanatics who has an Xbox solely because of Halo.
I pride myself in having all of the Halo achievements for every game. This includes Halo 2 and all four version of Halo Spartan Assault.

What mode do you spend most of your time in?

I am definitely a Multiplayer person. But, that doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy partaking in some campaign run-throughs. I keep up to date on all Halo lore and have read all the books, comics, etc…

What is your favorite playlist?

I jump around from playlist to playlist depending on my mood.

Help us get to know you better.

I may come off as a try hard to some people in the game because of my competitive nature. This was truer back in the Halo 2/3 days where I feel it was much more competitive. I remember getting online and my entire friends list would be playing Halo. We would have to argue who would be playing with who because the parties were too big. If only that were true nowadays…I think we all know why.

Ghazi

The cosmetics in GoW3 were handled alright. I do agree they went a little overboard with the number of payable skins, should've released some of them for free. There were way too many, in general, though. I actually never bought a single one, although I was tempted many a time. They had a fair number of weapon skins in game, as well as loyalty rewards for doing things in previous games. Not only that, they had their own seasonal sets of skins that they offered free to everyone, alongside the heads and such. The payable weapon skins looked pretty sick, though.

GoW3 was such a great game, it's unfortunate there aren't even tens of thousands of people playing it anymore.

So I played some Halo 4 multiplayer for the first time in like a year. I tried getting into the Proving Ground playlist but couldn't find a match so I switched to some Team Slayer. Everyone voted for Legendary BR's on Haven thankfully (did not want my first match in how long to be an Infinity gametype). I had fun. Was beasting with the BR (the switch to 4 shot feels right) and the people I was playing with actually used game chat. Only issue was I felt like I was doing too good. Almost like some of the people I was playing against were completely new to the game. Not sure if this is a matchmaking issue or if because everyone good stopped playing lol. Anyways if anyone is down to play sometime my gamertag is il DiavoloV.

Chettlar

Banned

My gosh those helmets are ugly. The Rogue is ok. The Venator isn't bad, but reminds me of Dead Space.

War Master makes me want to puke.

Was just thinking how great it would be to be able to Forge campaign levels in H5. You could forge objects, weapons, enemy spawns, etc. Set parameters like "highest score" or "fastest from start to finish" etc. Post files to your file share, compete with your friends.

Hire Juices.

This must happen.

Really they should just hire Gabotron to oversee Forge's construction. I'm pretty sure it would be perfect then.

I know what you mean about it not belonging in Halo. But couldn't the same thing have been said for tons of other features that were brought in over the years? Jetpacks is one that comes to mind; I'm sure there's lots of others I can't think of right now.

Yeah, the triangle's a good point. Didn't consider that. I do understand how it would damage the gameplay loop. I was just saying I wouldn't be upset if they added it as they've have to make it work. But no, you're right, it wouldn't feel like Halo. This is probably a bad thing but I don't want to feel like an entitled gamer. Part of me feels that 343i should be free to evolve the series how they wish, if they have a different vision to Bungie. I want to see them thrive, you know? I don't want them to become a copycat zombie developer; some sort of Frankenbungie. They need to find their own footing.

Employing something like ADS, like you say, might be a step too far in this regard. Without experiencing it first hand, you'd probably be right in saying that it would ruin Halo's identity. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see them try. They could use it cosmetically, as you mention, to appeal to a wider community (but then again, as you say, what's the point?). I wonder if they'd be able to tie-in to the HUD's role though, maybe employing it just for certain weapons (maybe Promethean weapons in order to further differentiate them).

If I were designing it, I think I'd keep ADS away from sidearms, assault rifles and shotguns — but I think there is scope for it to work with LMGs and a new grade of weapon somewhere between a BR and the DMR. But then you run into fragmentation issues, contextual issues — as interesting as it would be from a variety standpoint, it's probably just not worth it.
Yeah, an ADS power-ish weapon or two wouldn't kill Halo for all time, I think. My concern however is that if you have too many ADS weapons (especially starting weapons) you'd be faced with a enormous balance problem. Trying to balance the two play styles would likely result in neither super fun ADS gameplay nor acceptable golden-triangle play.

How would you all feel about all the armor abilities being pick ups (equipment) on the map? Instant use on pick up of course but I think that'd be good for Halo since no other FPS is based around power ups atm. And it follows the mentality of classic halo.

Chettlar

Banned
I'd rather have something to do with Megalo... Megalo assistant, Megalomaniac? lol

They should pay me on tacos of course.

Well yeah, but see maybe have somebody else make it, and then you can come in and say, "Ok, nope that's bad, we need people to do fine movements like thus and so." Or "Dude, where are the coordinates so we can make symmetrical maps?" Or even "K man, uh, where is the AI stuff so people can make their own campaign and firefight missions?" and other stuff like that see.

But most of the time you're working with Megalou. You just get to happen by the Forge people whenever.

How would you all feel about all the armor abilities being pick ups (equipment) on the map? Instant use on pick up of course but I think that'd be good for Halo since no other FPS is based around power ups atm. And it follows the mentality of classic halo.

I've thought about this. Jet pack, though, no.

Though, as I've said numerous times, the Jet pack should be pick-u-able like a gun or grenade, and have a limited amount of fuel (that you can refill if you find more Jetpacks or whatever). Have it like that in Campaign and Firefight.

I want this to happen. Although I don't like it if AAs are part of the where Classes will return as a core focus. Not to contradict myself with the Default Thrusters idea, but I would like it if 343 can balance them being on the map or something like Throwdown maybe.

I would prefer that way by far but still wouldn't want certain abilities. Also it should be auto used if you pick it up,not an ability picked up and you use it when you want.

Well yeah, but see maybe have somebody else make it, and then you can come in and say, "Ok, nope that's bad, we need people to do fine movements like thus and so." Or "Dude, where are the coordinates so we can make symmetrical maps?" Or even "K man, uh, where is the AI stuff so people can make their own campaign and firefight missions?" and other stuff like that see.

But most of the time you're working with Megalou. You just get to happen by the Forge people whenever.

Man, just thinking of having Reach's forge and H4's Megalo combined into a single game gives me a raging boner.

Mistel

Banned
For some modes it might work can't see it working at all in btb though. There was a gametype in reach that had them as pick ups I think.

FyreWulff

If only they had a group of people from the community that were good with Forge they could ask. People really into cartography. Would be a pretty good resource. I bet they'd even do it for free

iMax

Stop insulting iMax.

What's happening? I have no idea lol

Yeah, an ADS power-ish weapon or two wouldn't kill Halo for all time, I think. My concern however is that if you have too many ADS weapons (especially starting weapons) you'd be faced with a enormous balance problem. Trying to balance the two play styles would likely result in neither super fun ADS gameplay nor acceptable golden-triangle play.

Pretty much. I'm a firm believer in a stripped-back Halo for a solid experience, so the fragmentation associated with something like this would probably do more harm than good. I'd take a DMR with a holographic sight though. Actually, you know what? That wouldn't be too bad. I can't see a reason not to allow scoped weapons (DMR, Sniper) to use holographic ADS.

lawful

Banned
I can't see a reason not to allow scoped weapons (DMR, Sniper) to use holographic ADS.

I can: it's never been in the series before (before and after ADS became a thing) and it doesn't belong in it. There is zero reason to add it other than adding it to keep Halo 'relevant'.

If I just flip this whole argument on it's head by saying that Call of Duty should totally abandon ADS and only have hip fire would you agree with this idea?

I would prefer that way by far but still wouldn't want certain abilities. Also it should be auto used if you pick it up,not an ability picked up and you use it when you want.

Yeah that was what I was thinking. I would more than welcome this system since you could have some very powerful and interesting armor abilities.

Also that Forge list is fantastic.

Juan

What's happening? I have no idea lol

Pretty much. I'm a firm believer in a stripped-back Halo for a solid experience, so the fragmentation associated with something like this would probably do more harm than good. I'd take a DMR with a holographic sight though. Actually, you know what? That wouldn't be too bad. I can't see a reason not to allow scoped weapons (DMR, Sniper) to use holographic ADS.

If you use ADS with a trigger like CoD or the other games using that mechanic, why not, but if with the default control you have to push the left stick you use ADS, if won't be very effective. :-/

I mean, it's not quick, not responsive, it takes way more time than pushing a (left) trigger.

I don't know how works ADS in GoW for that particular weapon you mentioned, but I guess it didn't impact the default layout for the controller.

EDIT: Woah, why lawful is banned? No meta discussion here, just asking, MP is you're afraid of ban.

@Gabotron ES: Are you editing some xml files to create gamemodes in Halo 4 (translating it into megalo)?

Top Bottom