• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

The cosmetics in GoW3 were handled alright. I do agree they went a little overboard with the number of payable skins, should've released some of them for free. There were way too many, in general, though. I actually never bought a single one, although I was tempted many a time. They had a fair number of weapon skins in game, as well as loyalty rewards for doing things in previous games. Not only that, they had their own seasonal sets of skins that they offered free to everyone, alongside the heads and such. The payable weapon skins looked pretty sick, though.

GoW3 was such a great game, it's unfortunate there aren't even tens of thousands of people playing it anymore.

GoW J went overboard and went teamfortress 2 randomness

maxresdefault.jpg

They had to paint the enemies team in flourecent red or blue to be recognizable at long range.

Havoc2049

So I played some Halo 4 multiplayer for the first time in like a year. I tried getting into the Proving Ground playlist but couldn't find a match so I switched to some Team Slayer. Everyone voted for Legendary BR's on Haven thankfully (did not want my first match in how long to be an Infinity gametype). I had fun. Was beasting with the BR (the switch to 4 shot feels right) and the people I was playing with actually used game chat. Only issue was I felt like I was doing too good. Almost like some of the people I was playing against were completely new to the game. Not sure if this is a matchmaking issue or if because everyone good stopped playing lol. Anyways if anyone is down to play sometime my gamertag is il DiavoloV.

Your CSR in that playlist is probably low and you were playing with newer players or people who haven't played in a while.

Unpopular opinion time: I actually liked the implementation of Resupply and not being able to pick up dropped grenades by default. Forcing you to rely solely on map-based pickups allows you to tune and buff the grenades on an individual basis to nearly the same strength as firearms, and it also cuts down on the level of nade-play throughout the game. Granted, you'll get King of the Hill matches where all of halogaf switches to Grenadier / Explosives to immolate the fuck out of anyone unfortunate enough to be in the hill, I think not picking up nades off corpses allows more attention to be put towards making grenades tools for selective damage placement and map control rather than guerrilla poop-throwing.

On a related note, they should really implement a checklist system in game options so that you could just enable certain player aspects like tac-pacs / sup-ups with according "opacities" or percentages / intensities, rather than trying to force them into an Enabled / Disabled / Unchanged function as is the case with most player traits.

By the way, why the hell haven't we been using tac-pacs and sup-ups as shorthand for tactical packages and support upgrades?

Omni

Currently playing some Invasion in Reach. Shit is so good. The mode had so much potential.

Can't believe they got rid of it in favour of Dominon or whatever

I don't want it for a minimalist, CE-style standbox, but they should bring back the Plasma Repeater as a Covenant SAW mirror. I mean hell, it functioned with the power of two Plasma Rifles before the SAW even pulled it with the Assault Rifle.

Takashi

On Halo 4, is the Didact still gonna be a thing? When the game was coming out, the ads kept mentioning an "ancient evil" as if they were trying to make it seem like it was the Didact. I thought it was the Precursors? (I don't know that much about the books/comics)

I get the Didact wasn't well written in the game, but when I finished it for the first time I thought to myself, "Please be dead, so we can continue the plot towards the actual big baddie". I just have no interest in having another game that revolves around him.

On Halo 4, is the Didact still gonna be a thing? When the game was coming out, the ads kept mentioning an "ancient evil" as if they were trying to make it seem like it was the Didact. I thought it was the Precursors? (I don't know that much about the books/comics)

I get the Didact wasn't well written in the game, but when I finished it for the first time I thought to myself, "Please be dead, so we can continue the plot towards the actual big baddie". I just have no interest in having another game that revolves around him.
Didact ain't dead yo. Just MIA.

Actually, we really don't know if he is dead or not.

I guess both Didact are dead after Halo 4 (the first, which is Bornstellar, one died millions years ago first the last Halo activation against the Flood).

Nope. i guess you didnt read SIlentium.
also Bornstellar is the IsoDidact, Shadow of Sundered Star is the UrDidact (or the Halo 4 Didact)

No I know. I read something about the
UrDidact?

But he's not the big bad or the ancient evil right?
His supposed to be. He was built up to be this big "end all" bad guy but was defeated like a scrub in one game. He should have been dragged out across 2-3 games, even if he returns it'll just be oh this guys a pushover anyways.

That Lawful guy went a bit off the rails.

How long have you been a Halo fan? Have you played all the games?

I have played all the games; however, I didn’t get extremely involved until later in Halo 2’s life cycle.
I do consider myself to be one of those Halo fanatics who has an Xbox solely because of Halo.
I pride myself in having all of the Halo achievements for every game. This includes Halo 2 and all four version of Halo Spartan Assault.

What mode do you spend most of your time in?

I am definitely a Multiplayer person. But, that doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy partaking in some campaign run-throughs. I keep up to date on all Halo lore and have read all the books, comics, etc…
Welcome, What did you think of 4?

Currently playing some Invasion in Reach. Shit is so good. The mode had so much potential.

Can't believe they got rid of it in favour of Dominon or whatever

Invasion >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dominion

Makes me sad they were trying to fool us into believing Dominion was a real replacement for Invasion prior to launch, Dominion is truly an abomination.

I remenber playing Invasion and understanding all of my surroundings, the gametype really had that strategic feel to it in which you could turn each scenario into your favour if you played your cards well. I played a few Dominion matches and decided to quit it, what a fucking unpleasent experience... I literally did not know what the fuck was going on.

I laught everytime someone shits on Invasion because "muh overpowered tier 3 spartan shotgun loadouts", just pick the damm concussion rifle loadout and proceed to shit on everybody.

Invasion was truly a gametype difficult to master but once you did it.. man, was it awesome.

And I agree about Invasion shitting on btb maps but the community proved to be capable of making TOP NOTCH invasion maps, I'd probably link you to more than 10 matchmaking material forge maps.

Juan

Oh thanks. Well, the Ur-Didact should be dead right know, but the Iso-Didact is still somewhere else outer of the galaxy maybe.

Guys, Issue 9(?) of Halo Escalation literally shows the Ur-Didact punching Chief out. It takes place after Halo 4.

It's just a cover, it could be a flash-back, or just an artistic view, not a second meet between Chief and the Ur-Didact. I don't think you should presume things with just that picture.

I hope we will hear more about Faber (Master Builder) in Halo 5 and the coming books.

Takashi

His supposed to be. He was built up to be this big "end all" bad guy but was defeated like a scrub in one game. He should have been dragged out across 2-3 games, even if he returns it'll just be oh this guys a pushover anyways.

That was my sentiment. If he in fact WAS the ancient evil, I certainly didn't think his character (in game) deserved 2 more games. That's why I was hoping he would be a one-off bad guy for one game in order to build up the real antagonist for the future ones.

That Lawful guy went a bit off the rails.

Damn.

blamite

I'm guessing 343 as purposely ambiguous about whether the Didact died or not so that they could judge peoples' reactions before deciding if they wanted to bring him back again. If they want him back, then he just fell into a portal and came out fine on the other side. If not, he got composed and the next enemy will be "him" in a suitably different robot form or whatever.

Woorloog

Banned
I really don't see how he could have died. I mean, the Chief blasts him with a damn Pulse Grenade, that is so very, very weak thing, and he just falls down to a portal.
OK, perhaps we won't see him in the games but in a post-Halo 4 Halo EU work at very least.

Ghazi

I read it, those books were translated in french.

At the end, I do remember Bornstellar fired the Halo and died with, isn't he?

That's what I thought, although I read the books forever ago and my English reading comprehension isn't the best yet.

Fuchsdh

GoW J went overboard and went teamfortress 2 randomness

They had to paint the enemies team in flourecent red or blue to be recognizable at long range.

I think Halo 4 struck the right balance, really. Some of the skins were ostentatious but they didn't detract from ability to pick out enemies or weapons.

EDIT: And Bornstellar survives the firing of the Halo Array. What happened to him and the small cadre of Forerunners at the Ark... we don't know.

Chettlar

Banned
What's happening? I have no idea lol.

I made an awful first impression in the HaloGAF community thread, and started getting called Cheddar.

You're not being near as bad as me, mostly on account of me going through some mental stuff just then that made me not handle stress well at all. Didn't help that literally everybody was responding to me.

I'm probably going to get a refurbished Wii U from the Nintendo store for both Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros. I have no idea what nintendo is doing right now. Both those games should have been released in the first 6 months and not over a year later.

So I was drinking with friends for the first time today and I am so shitfaced drunk.
Speedy Blue Dude
This Post Brought To You By the Microsoft Xbox One™, The All-in-One Shitfaced Drunk Entertainment System

have fun speedy

So Shinobi says we will see the Master Chief Collection at E3 this year.

And I'm about to play Halo 4 Sp after being engulfed by playing Skyrim for months.

Booshka

Those of you proposing a Thrust or Dash mechanic for Halo that sacrifices some shields, health or energy to give you more mobility and an advantage in a fight. Here is a perfect example of that mechanic done in Shadowrun. Translate this play to a new Halo, and I'll be excited.

Speedy Blue Dude
This Post Brought To You By the Microsoft Xbox One™, The All-in-One Shitfaced Drunk Entertainment System

have fun speedy

So Shinobi says we will see the Master Chief Collection at E3 this year.

And I'm about to play Halo 4 Sp after being engulfed by playing Skyrim for months.

Hopefully we'll be able to just purchase based h2.

iMax

I made an awful first impression in the HaloGAF community thread, and started getting called Cheddar.

You're not being near as bad as me, mostly on account of me going through some mental stuff just then that made me not handle stress well at all. Didn't help that literally everybody was responding to me.

Oh, OK, sorry bro :/

Top Bottom