• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Spartans, Elites, Brutes, and Prometheans each have their own mounted turret type.

Heavy Machine Gun

-automatic
-hitscan
-not headshot capable
-no scope
-zero base bloom
-major maximum bloom
-slow bloom expansion rate
-fast bloom retraction rate
-short spin up period before firing
-never overheats
-left trigger toggles an underbarrel Spotlight on or off

Shade Turret

-dual wield automatic
-medium projectile speed
-not headshot capable
-no scope
-appearance is similar to Reach’s shade turret
-projectiles are similar to Halo 2′s shade turret except the right and left barrels are independently fired by the right and left triggers respectively
-holding right trigger fires right barrel, holding left trigger fires left barrel
-each barrel has its own independent cooldown period after firing
-simultaneously begin holding both triggers to fire 2 projectiles per volley with a slower rate of fire
-stagger beginning to hold the left and right triggers to fire 1 projectile per volley with a faster rate of fire
-gradually overheats from sustained fire
-hovering ball-turret can rotate in 360 degrees

Mortar Tube

-variable charge then fire single shot
-slow projectile speed
-not headshot capable
-no scope
-hold then release trigger to charge then vertically fire a mortar that drops down from above and explodes on impact
-trigger hold time is proportionate to the distance the mortar will travel
-a longer trigger hold time means a higher vertical launch and further horizontal distance traveled by the projectile

Predator

-fast projectile speed
-headshot capable
-no scope
-hold trigger to gradually shrink reticle from large to very small
-release trigger to fire
-trigger hold time is proportionate to the accuracy of the fired projectile
-a longer trigger hold time means a smaller reticle and better accuracy
-immediate forced fire upon being fully charged
-projectile has perfect accuracy if fired when fully charged
-projectile passes through most types of cover with no penalties to damage, accuracy, or range
-1 headshot kill
-2 bodyshot kill
-tap left trigger to emit a limited duration promethean vision scan with a long recharge delay

Mounted Turret Ammo Variants

The Heavy Machine Gun’s standard ammo type is hitscan Tracer Rounds. The HMG can also be loaded with Armor Piercing Rounds, which directly damage vehicle occupants through vehicle armor but fire at a slower rate, or Explosive Rounds which deal explosive splash damage but travel at a slower projectile speed.

The Shade Turret’s standard ammo is medium projectile speed Plasma Bolts. The Shade Turret is also capable of firing Concussion Bolts, which deliver a concussive knockback effect in addition to damage but the projectiles gradually drop over distance, or Fuel Rods which deal more damage but the projectiles drop over distance and fire at a slower rate.

The standard ammo type for the Mortar Tube is the Explosive Mortar. The Mortar Tube is also capable of firing Incendiary Mortars, which deal no explosive damage but temporarily create a pool of damaging fire around the point of impact, or Smoke Mortars which deal no damage but temporarily create a cloud of opaque smoke around the point of impact.

The Predator fires only one ammo variant: Tunneling Rounds.

lizardwizarding

Neo Member
So, what happens if say you get multiple clips within a set session? Does Xbone just overwrite the previous 30-second clip or stockpile them?

Man this holiday is going to be so rad guys! Hugs!

So, what happens if say you get multiple clips within a set session? Does Xbone just overwrite the previous 30-second clip or stockpile them?

Man this holiday is going to be so rad guys! Hugs!

It stockpiles them.

I still have clips I recorded back on launch. Apparently they expire after a set time if you don't "save" them, but none of mine have deleted yet so, I dunno.

Sofa King

So the bandana skull is a preorder bonus at GameStop only? Unlimited needler ammo for the Legendary Halo 4 campaign would be nice. If they are going to do preorder stuff like this, hopefully they do something for the preload preorder digital buyers (preloading should be a thing by November right?)

Spartans, Elites, Brutes, and Prometheans each have their own mounted turret type.

Heavy Machine Gun

-automatic
-hitscan
-not headshot capable
-no scope
-zero base bloom
-major maximum bloom
-slow bloom expansion rate
-fast bloom retraction rate
-short spin up period before firing
-never overheats
-left trigger toggles an underbarrel Spotlight on or off

Shade Turret

-dual wield automatic
-medium projectile speed
-not headshot capable
-no scope
-appearance is similar to Reach’s shade turret
-projectiles are similar to Halo 2′s shade turret except the right and left barrels are independently fired by the right and left triggers respectively
-holding right trigger fires right barrel, holding left trigger fires left barrel
-each barrel has its own independent cooldown period after firing
-simultaneously begin holding both triggers to fire 2 projectiles per volley with a slower rate of fire
-stagger beginning to hold the left and right triggers to fire 1 projectile per volley with a faster rate of fire
-gradually overheats from sustained fire
-hovering ball-turret can rotate in 360 degrees

Mortar Tube

-slow projectile speed
-not headshot capable
-no scope
-hold then release trigger to charge then vertically fire a mortar that drops down from above and explodes on impact
-trigger hold time is proportionate to the distance the mortar will travel
-a longer trigger hold time means a higher vertical launch and further horizontal distance traveled by the projectile

Predator

-fast projectile speed
-headshot capable
-no scope
-hold trigger to gradually shrink reticle from large to very small
-release trigger to fire
-trigger hold time is proportionate to the accuracy of the fired projectile
-a longer trigger hold time means a smaller reticle and better accuracy
-immediate forced fire upon being fully charged
-projectile has perfect accuracy if fired when fully charged
-projectile passes through most types of cover with no penalties to damage, accuracy, or range
-1 headshot kill
-2 bodyshot kill
-tap left trigger to emit a limited duration promethean vision scan with a long recharge delay

Mounted Turret Ammo Variants

The Heavy Machine Gun’s standard ammo type is hitscan Tracer Rounds. The HMG can also be loaded with Armor Piercing Rounds, which directly damage vehicle occupants through vehicle armor but fire at a slower rate, or Explosive Rounds which deal explosive splash damage but travel at a slower projectile speed.

The Shade Turret’s standard ammo is medium projectile speed Plasma Bolts. The Shade Turret is also capable of firing Concussion Bolts, which deliver a concussive knockback effect in addition to damage but the projectiles gradually drop over distance, or Fuel Rods which deal more damage but the projectiles drop over distance and fire at a slower rate.

The standard ammo type for the Mortar Tube is the Explosive Mortar. The Mortar Tube is also capable of firing Incendiary Mortars, which deal no explosive damage but temporarily create a pool of damaging fire around the point of impact, or Smoke Mortars which deal no damage but temporarily create a cloud of opaque smoke around the point of impact.

The Predator fires only one ammo variant: Tunneling Rounds.

why

jem0208

I was thinking about the default thrusters idea and the beta trailer and I can see how they could be used for ground pound and the dash/bash moves but I can't think of how the thrusters would tie into a slide.

Obviously the slide could be separate to the thrusters but then I can't think how the slide could work unless there is sprint as well. Unless you could crouch mid thrust, but I think that would be a bit jarring, especially if the thrusts are similar to 4 and only last a very short amount of time...

Also I really hope that you don't go 3rd person for the thrusts. If they're default I can see the constant switch between first and third being very annoying.

Don't encourage it! They'll just get banned eventually, I see it as a spam account.

Good to hear from Frank. My question is whether the Beta will focus on only this Arena-style MP, or the bigass modes, too.
Ntkrnl said something like 2 arena maps and 2 large ones. I can't remember exactly and I'm on mobile so I can't check but it was something similar to that.

jem0208

Interesting, wonder if player counts will get an increase

Dedicated servers would certainly help with that.

I think 12 vs 12 would be the max that would be reasonable. After that it starts to get a bit like a clusterfuck.

Especially with Halos TTK.

Fuchsdh

Dedicated servers would certainly help with that.

I think 12 vs 12 would be the max that would be reasonable. After that it starts to get a bit like a clusterfuck.

Especially with Halos TTK.

I think any more than 20 players would probably dilute the impact of any one player too dramatically.

Dub117

Don't encourage it! They'll just get banned eventually, I see it as a spam account.

Good to hear from Frank. My question is whether the Beta will focus on only this Arena-style MP, or the bigass modes, too.
I'm guessing just the arena style to calm old school fans worries, and hopefully erase doubt. Old school fans are who I'm guessing they want to hear from in the Beta anyway, the one's super pumped about Halo. /speculation

Some tidbits from the VentureBeat writeup:

Ayoub did hint at additional tweaks to these Halo 2 Anniversary maps, but Microsoft is saving details for the Gamescom conference in August. The good news for fans: Max Hoberman, the original multiplayer designer on Halo 2, came back to help redesign these classic levels.

Good to hear we will see more in August. Kind of obvious Max is working on the new Halo 2 Anniversary maps, considering he is Certain Affinity, but nice to see he is gonna be working on them directly. It must be a weird/exciting feeling all around for the "old guard" revisiting these games again.

The developers know that some fans will still try playing through all four campaigns in a row, for a crazy Halo marathon. They plan on rewarding such 50-hour antics with a special Achievement award.

Yes! I like this a lot. More insane cheevos like this.

A “Capture the Flag” hopper, for example, can span several Halos. So if you select that playlist, you’ll get variations of that mode and play them on maps from Halo: CE through Halo 4. You won’t get any specific filters, however, so if you wanted to tune out just Halo 3 for some odd reason, you won’t be able to do that on the public matchmaking rooms. While voting on which map they want to play next, players waiting in the lobby can see an icon indicating which Halo that stage came from.

The studio really wants to encourage cross-Halo play, however, so expect most of the public playlists to reflect that. It will even offer one gigantic “play everything” hopper that will just cycle through all available options across all Halos.

I bet we will see special playlists locked to single games at some point, maybe not at launch. Don't see why they couldn't rotate these. A huge master-playlist that cycles everything on every game is also really cool, 4v4 and 6v6/8v8 versions of this would be sweet.

Yes — unless you opt for one of the universal controller schemes that The Master Chief Collection will offer. You can just pick one setup and use that for any Halo that you jump into, so you won’t have to worry about buttons that change from game to game.

We have confirmed, though, that Halo 3′s specific controls will not be available as a universal controller option. Its left hand/right hand setup just doesn’t play well with the other Halos.

Really hope this means something like Bumper Jumper in Halo CE and Halo 2. That's great news if true. It has been really hard to retrain my muscle memory when switching between games.

Players can find new terminals sprinkled throughout Halo 2 Anniversary’s campaign. These will unlock short story-driven cinematics that flesh out the Halo universe. Luckily, 343 is making these easier to find than they’ve been in the past (and they were really tough to find before). The developers actually want you to see all the cool videos that they worked on.

I wonder what these could possibly be about? If the CEA terminals are anything to go by, these should be good. That mysterious ship that crashed on Alpha Halo that 343GS sealed up still keeps me up at night.

The central hub for Halo players, their online profiles and progress, and extra content will still be around in some form, but 343 is working out the details. It plans on announcing more in the future, but it definitely wants everyone to have access to an abundance of stats.

Probably obvious, but this is still good to hear. That's going to be quite the job to implement.

Sorry to distract everyone, but all this hype had me going through some clips last night.

Prinz Eugn pointed out to me in a game like a week or so ago that I made a warthog fly again. He wasn't joking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5syD9-BwnM

Told ya!

I need to go through my clips, especially that one where the guy was flying the banshee parallel to my plasma mortar round for waaaaay to long before spontaneously turning into it.

Thruster button = Forward thrust (even while airborne)

Thruster button + Stick direction = Thrust in that direction (even while airborne)

Thruster button while crouched on the ground = Forward crouch thrust or "slide"

Thruster button while crouched on the ground + Stick direction = Crouch thrust in that direction

Thruster button while crouched in the air = Downward thrust dive or "ground pound"

Jump button while airborne = Upward thrust jump

Caladrius

I loooooves me some BTB.

It's the only playlist besides action sack that I frequent.

Considering no mods seem to actually visit this thread that isn't going to happen without badgering one about it.

This can't be real, shouldn't have to stick to custom games if you only want to play one game.

So disappointing if true. Forget about wanting to play mostly CE and 2, I don't even wanna be reminded Halo 4 exists.

Wait a minute. So what that guy said in the interview is that there will not be game-specific matchmaking? Ugh.

Interview specifically refers to being able to "filter" which game you want to play in matchmaking playlists. Doesn't mean there couldn't be playlists like: Halo 2 classics, Halo CE classic, Halo 3 classics... eventually. I'm sure 343 will have a post-launch support team to closely monitor this. Voting will absolutely help them with that data.

Nobody knows why they feel the need to enlighten us with their musings without engaging in conversation.

It's gotta be a ploy by Wahrer to legitimize his fanfics by contrast. At least those have pics. ;)

Madness

That's like one step forward, two steps back then. I don't want to be forced to play halo 4 or Halo 3, if all I'm doing is playing Halo CE. That's really quite stupid not to have single game only playlists.

Knew there would be a catch. And it's not even a question of easier. It's much easier to launch a single game and keep playlists for that game, than having cross gen/cross game playlists that change every round.

There needs to be at launch, the ability to have matchmaking/playlists for single games only. Meaning that someone who wants to only play CE, shouldn't have to resort to custom games or be forced to possibly play Halo 2 or 3 because of "democracy" as Frankie put it in that interview.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
That's like one step forward, two steps back then. I don't want to be forced to play halo 4 or Halo 3, if all I'm doing is playing Halo CE. That's really quite stupid not to have single game only playlists.

Knew there would be a catch. And it's not even a question of easier. It's much easier to launch a single game and keep playlists for that game, than having cross gen/cross game playlists that change every round.

There needs to be at launch, the ability to have matchmaking/playlists for single games only. Meaning that someone who wants to only play CE, shouldn't have to resort to custom games or be forced to possibly play Halo 2 or 3 because of "democracy" as Frankie put it in that interview.

They should at least have a 4v4 and a 8v8 playlist for each game.

Rev3rb

How will matchmaking and rankings work across four different games?
Players will have a single ranking that spans across Halo 1-4 for matchmaking and showing-off purposes.

Hmm, not sure how I feel about this. Hopefully this isn't final...

I highly doubt playlists are finalized at this point. I'd say it's a good bet there will be something to that effect at some point, even if the focus is to be on cross-game play. Some of the placeholder playlists they showed in the IGN stream cut out certain games (like 4) so I wouldn't get too upset over this just yet. Considering the package, I prefer to look at as 10 steps forward, half-step back.

Question specifically asked how ranking would work across 4 games. Answer reflects that, but doesn't necessarily mean there couldn't be ranks per individual games/playlists.

BigShow36

I'm pretty sure they said there will be game-specific playlists. How robust and well-designed they are remains to be seen (Halo CE pp starts only), but I wouldn't freak out over one poorly-worded interview.

Booshka

Halo CE also needs dedicated 2v2 Slayer playlist, and 1v1 Playlist. Then of course 4v4 Slayer/Objective and BTB. Action Sack for Races and other awesome fun gametypes in Halo CE.

antigoon

Interview specifically refers to being able to "filter" which game you want to play in matchmaking playlists. Doesn't mean there couldn't be playlists like: Halo 2 classics, Halo CE classic, Halo 3 classics... eventually. I'm sure 343 will have a post-launch support team to closely monitor this. Voting will absolutely help them with that data.

I think it would be really, really nuts to not include game-specific playlists at launch. There doesn't need to be a lot of them to start anyway. I think something like this would be entirely workable:

Combat Evolved:
1v1
2v2

Halo 2:
Team doubles
4v4 mixed
8v8 mixed

Halo 3:
4v4 mixed
8v8 mixed

Halo 4:
grifball

Dota X FIFA fanfic? Messi passes to Outworld Devourer he shoots... HE SCORES!!

Lord Hood's plan to unite Sanghelios under the banner of the Arbiter has failed. Lines have been drawn on the planet's sand and warring factions fight in a long drawn out civil war that catches innocents in the balance. In one final last ditch effort to bring the clans together in a state of peace, Hood goes to the Arbiter with a concept completely foreign to the entire Sangheili population. It is a battle of wit, skill, speed, and power. A tactical fight that is like none other. It is not just a game, it is war on the pitch.

Halo: FIFA Galactic Cup

I don't like soccer at all

EDIT: Oh. Thought it was Halo x Fifa. Not dota. Eff that noise.

Ghazi

Pouring one out for Randy. RIP.

pouring-out-liquor.gif

I think it would be really, really nuts to not include game-specific playlists at launch. There doesn't need to be a lot of them to start anyway. I think something like this would be entirely workable:

Combat Evolved:
1v1
2v2

Halo 2:
Team doubles
4v4 mixed
8v8 mixed

Halo 3:
4v4 mixed
8v8 mixed

Halo 4:
grifball

This is a really tough metal exercise when you take into account all 4 games each with their own various "favourite" play-styles. How do you not greatly fragment the playerbase when dealing with that many maps and gametype combinations (it remains to be seen how many people will even be playing this online). To me, the first thing that stuck out in your list was the lack of Big Team CTF in CE. Sidewinder and Gulch, yo. But everyone has their own ideas of what's great, so it is hard to come up with a solid list that includes the "obvious" stuff for each individual game, as well as the cross-game gametype-based playlists they've shown so far and have said is their focus. What is a sane amount of playlists to have at launch? 10? 20? Something to think about...

Just please don't leave Halo 2 as SMG starts, please. Please.

I doubt it will be. I think spawning with a SMG in the Anniversary footage was nothing more than them wanting to show how close to Halo 2 the gameplay was.

Any type of competitive playlist will have competitive rule sets.

Guess Halo 2 Multiplayer will still have infinite ammo sword, that weapon was amazing to use. Basically a BxR with range. You could tap Y hit RT and tap Y and be back at a BR after lunging across half of the bottom corridor of lockout before all the audio cues from the sword had stopped playing

Top Bottom