• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

antigoon

This is a really tough metal exercise when you take into account all 4 games each with their own various "favourite" play-styles. How do you not greatly fragment the playerbase when dealing with that many maps and gametype combinations (it remains to be seen how many people will even be playing this online). To me, the first thing that stuck out in your list was the lack of Big Team CTF in CE. Sidewinder and Gulch, yo. But everyone has their own ideas of what's great, so it is hard to come up with a solid list that includes the "obvious" stuff for each individual game, as well as the cross-game gametype-based playlists they've shown so far and have said is their focus. What is a sane amount of playlists to have at launch? 10? 20? Something to think about...

Oh, you're right, I did leave out the big map stuff in CE. I definitely agree with you that it's not going to be easy to make everyone happy. But I think a good way to piss almost everyone off would be to centralize everything.

Personally, I would rather see just a couple cross-game playlists in favor of more single-game ones, but that's just me. I like the idea of switching games on the fly, but I think the novelty of that is gonna wear off pretty quickly.

The beauty of CE with regards to these playlists is that it's so damn limited that if you like something, chances are you'll get to play it often despite there not being a Custom Games Browsers.

TS Playlist (2v2)
  • Battle Creek
  • Chill Out
  • Damnation
  • Derelict
  • Hang 'Em High
  • Longest
  • Prisoner
  • Rat Race
  • Wizard
TS Playlist (4v4)
  • The same as above.
CTF Playlist (4v4)
  • Battle Creek
  • Blood Gulch
  • Damnation
  • Hang 'Em High
  • Wizard

And so forth and so forth.. If you're running as a party of 4 looking for CE games, I don't think there will be much of an issue playing the maps you want in any given playlist considering there aren't a vast amount gametype combinations to choose from. The BTB playlist you may run into some issues because unless you can fill out a party of 8 down the line, it may be difficult to sway the choices in your favor.

Madness

If they didn't want a fragmented playerbase, they should have only released Halo 2 Anniversary. What's the point of giving all 4 games then?

It's only natural that large numbers of the fanbase will prefer certain games at the expense of others. You can't just say hey, here's CE multiplayer with matchmaking at 1080p at 60fps with dedicated servers, and then force them to play 2v2 on Prisoner with pistols and then 2v2 on the Pit Halo 3 with AR starts the next match.

I don't want to sound indignant, I know how tough it is to do all this, which is why I was incredulous, but this is really bad. We've seen what happens when you don't have a concise vision at launch, so this is something that should be done at launch. Even if it's just a few playlists for each game, but matchmaking/exclusive game playlists need to be there. Either way, seems like we have to just wait for now till we hear more.

BigShow36

Halo CE also needs dedicated 2v2 Slayer playlist, and 1v1 Playlist. Then of course 4v4 Slayer/Objective and BTB. Action Sack for Races and other awesome fun gametypes in Halo CE.

I would so much love a 1v1 playlist for CE. That would practically be all I played.

And so forth and so forth.. If you're running as a party of 4 looking for CE games, I don't think there will be much of an issue playing the maps you want in any given playlist considering there aren't a vast amount gametype combinations to choose from. The BTB playlist you may run into some issues because unless you can fill out a party of 8 down the line, it may be difficult to sway the choices in your favor.

Thinking about it further, the best part of "BTB" in CE was unlimited time-limits (at least in the case of my favourite LAN gametype map combo of no limit touch return 2flag on Sidewinder), and I doubt they'd ever do that again in MM like in Halo 2. That's pretty fringe, though, so probably best to leave that to customs anyway.

Who said anything about them not doing that? Everything they've said confirms they'll allow segregation.

In customs. No filtering options for Matchmaking, aside from what they give us using hopper updates.

If they didn't want a fragmented playerbase, they should have only released Halo 2 Anniversary. What's the point of giving all 4 games then?

It's only natural that large numbers of the fanbase will prefer certain games at the expense of others. You can't just say hey, here's CE multiplayer with matchmaking at 1080p at 60fps with dedicated servers, and then force them to play 2v2 on Prisoner with pistols and then 2v2 on the Pit Halo 3 with AR starts the next match.

I don't want to sound indignant, I know how tough it is to do all this, which is why I was incredulous, but this is really bad. We've seen what happens when you don't have a concise vision at launch, so this is something that should be done at launch. Even if it's just a few playlists for each game, but matchmaking/exclusive game playlists need to be there. Either way, seems like we have to just wait for now till we hear more.

I pretty much agree with both of the bolded, though HOPEFULLY they take into account everything they as well as Bungie have learned throughout each game's lifespans. AR starts in Halo 3 would be a disaster, same with Halo 2 SMG starts. Not sure if any of these community hires
hirejuices
are involved with this game, but if so, it leads me to believe they have some good eyes on this, anyway. Anyone want to lay down an attempt at a hopper list? Inclusively, without shafting any particular game with personal bias, that is.

It's so sad.. I think Smash is about to get its Halo 4 with Smash 4 (because it really does feel like a Brawl 2.0) and the community is going through the same cycles Halo fans have gone through for so many years. Like Halo, Smash is another franchise that needs to tap directly into its most hardcore fanbase, especially when these suggestions don't harm the accessibility and fun, party nature of the game (ie: Z/L canceling).

So glad we're getting this Master Chief Collection, lemme tell ya.. hahah

EDIT:
Was smash created with the intention of being competitive?
Not sure.

DeadNames

Banned
Okay, so one of my primary hopes in Halo 5 is that they don't do away the the monks. I always identified Halo with the monks, and Halo 4 felt weird without it. I know it was heard in the multiplayer teaser for Halo5, but it was shown at the end.

Did they lose the rights to the theme during the production of Halo 4?

The Flash

Banned
Okay, so one of my primary hopes in Halo 5 is that they don't do away the the monks. I always identified Halo with the monks, and Halo 4 felt weird without it. I know it was heard in the multiplayer teaser for Halo5, but it was shown at the end.

Did they lose the rights to the theme during the production of Halo 4?

I read the first part of your post as you not wanting the monks to be in H5. I was about to go all reggiewhatswrongwithyou.gif

Ramirez

Setting yourself up for disappointment if you think any of the games are going to get a laundry list of playlists like what you guys are outlining, lol.

Was smash created with the intention of being competitive?

No, but community make it to be competitive.

Also lol this

969119_469394416468649_1346034943_n.jpg

willow ve

What if Matchmaking in Halo MCC is all games, all playlists, all the time... BUT, they just give you toggles / sliders that apply to you (or your full party).

That way you could choose the following

"I want to play Slayer and CTF between CE and H2"

Which would allow you to match with players in CE CTF only, H2 CTF only, or Slayer in either game, etc.
-----
In that way they don't ever need to worry about low hopper counts because there is no hopper - there are only gametypes that are sorted by player toggle input.

Madness

Salt coming out, but when have they ever given us that option? Toggles for certain maps only, certain playlists only. It's a pipe dream. Also, if they reworked the H4 engine to add descoping etc. Why didn't they remove that white text stuff? I don't need to be playing what is supposedly Halo 2 updated and seeing Comeback Kill or Avenger flashed across my screen.

SOLIDDDD

Banned
That's like one step forward, two steps back then. I don't want to be forced to play halo 4 or Halo 3, if all I'm doing is playing Halo CE. That's really quite stupid not to have single game only playlists.

Knew there would be a catch. And it's not even a question of easier. It's much easier to launch a single game and keep playlists for that game, than having cross gen/cross game playlists that change every round.

There needs to be at launch, the ability to have matchmaking/playlists for single games only. Meaning that someone who wants to only play CE, shouldn't have to resort to custom games or be forced to possibly play Halo 2 or 3 because of "democracy" as Frankie put it in that interview.

I think I recall a Bravo tweet where he said you can search by game. I agree having to vote on which game you play is unacceptable. If I want to play Halo 2, I want to play Halo 2, I shouldn't have to worry about what the other players I match with want to play. Hell, if somebody wants to play Halo 4 then they should have their own thing too, that's their prerogative and it shouldn't be up to me to say which Halo he plays. I also agree with the opinion that ranks for each game should be separate.

it makes sense to have toggles for which games you want to include in the cross game playlists. that interview you guys posted says that won;t be an option though

Source

Salt coming out, but when have they ever given us that option? Toggles for certain maps only. It's a pipe dream. Also, if they reworked the H4 engine to add descoping etc. Why didn't they remove that white text stuff? I don't need to be playing what is supposedly Halo 2 updated and seeing Comeback Kill or Avenger flashed across my screen.

This is something I didn't like seeing either. I also didn't like how Steitzer's voice was the same as it was in Halo 4. I thought the way they had his voice in Halo 4 was the worst in the series. I guess it's still early enough for those two things to get changed, though. And I hope they do.

Dub117

This is something I didn't like seeing either. I also didn't like how Steitzer's voice was the same as it was in Halo 4. I thought the way they had his voice in Halo 4 was the worst in the series. I guess it's still early enough for those two things to get changed, though. And I hope they do.
That was in the updated Halo 2 gameplay/engine, won't be like that on the old versions of the maps. Also I lost my damn Mythic disc again ugh, I wish all the map packs were free on 3
I think the only one I don't have on my hard drive is mythic map pack. But I can't go into most playlists. Feels bad man.

Edit: My bad I misunderstood you.

Source

That was in the updated Halo 2 gameplay/engine, won't be like that on the old versions of the maps. Also I lost my damn Mythic disc again ugh, I wish all the map packs were free on 3

I know, I was just saying I don't care for those two things and hope they are changed.

willow ve

Salt coming out, but when have they ever given us that option? Toggles for certain maps only, certain playlists only. It's a pipe dream. Also, if they reworked the H4 engine to add descoping etc. Why didn't they remove that white text stuff? I don't need to be playing what is supposedly Halo 2 updated and seeing Comeback Kill or Avenger flashed across my screen.
I'm sticking with the post E3 afterglow. They could give us toggles. Then instead of low depressing hopper counts we just match in a giant Venn diagram.

its weird, cuz you don't want like a million and one playlists that split up everybody...but they can't seriously think they can just throw "Halo 2 Battle Creek/Halo 3 some shit map/Halo 4 lolol get trolled" on 4v4 team slayer and think that's gonna be cool

Tip: anyone who hasn't watched the H2 campaign videos with good quality headphones on should go an do that now. The sounds, my god it's full of stars.

Oh and now is the time more than ever for player/party toggles of game versions + maps + gametypes before voting options are generated.

I thought they already said in the IGN video that each game has it's own playlists plus a mixed playlists for a bit of everything.
If not damn.

its weird, cuz you don't want like a million and one playlists that split up everybody...but they can't seriously think they can just throw "Halo 2 Battle Creek/Halo 3 some shit map/Halo 4 lolol get trolled" on 4v4 team slayer and think that's gonna be cool

Eh, for the first couple weeks I think it would be fine to get a sample (especially since parties are going to be full again), but beyond that I do hope they break down the playlists more after they get some voting data.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'd imagine we'll see each Halo game get a slayer and mixed objective playlist with a few rotational playlists and action sack thrown on top.

Was this posted here already? Didn't see it in the last couple of pages:

http://venturebeat.com/2014/06/10/u...faq-playlists-forge-control-schemes-and-more/

Will controls change from Halo to Halo?

Yes — unless you opt for one of the universal controller schemes that The Master Chief Collection will offer. You can just pick one setup and use that for any Halo that you jump into, so you won’t have to worry about buttons that change from game to game.

We have confirmed, though, that Halo 3′s specific controls will not be available as a universal controller option. Its left hand/right hand setup just doesn’t play well with the other Halos.

What if Matchmaking in Halo MCC is all games, all playlists, all the time... BUT, they just give you toggles / sliders that apply to you (or your full party).

That way you could choose the following

"I want to play Slayer and CTF between CE and H2"

Which would allow you to match with players in CE CTF only, H2 CTF only, or Slayer in either game, etc.
-----
In that way they don't ever need to worry about low hopper counts because there is no hopper - there are only gametypes that are sorted by player toggle input.

Seems like the best compromise IMO.

Madness

Its just dumb. The games play so differently as well. How can anyone think it's fun to go from 4v4 Halo 2 BR on Battle Creek, to 4v4 Halo 3 pit with AR starts or H3 leading shot BR, to 4v4 Halo 4 Haven with BR that has flinch and sprint is universal. It's not a question of democracy and grudging it out on a game type or map you don't like, as opposed to completely different games, each with different skill curves.

Yeah, the games play totally different. You gotta relearn how to move, shoot, how the vehicles work, how to rage quit when some armor ability bullshit happens in Halo 4, etc.

its like you threw Street Fighter 1-4 into random rotation and tried to pretend it was competitive

Just please don't leave Halo 2 as SMG starts, please. Please.

Seeing it as SMG start at E3 wasn't a good sign... I mean they've gotten so many things right, and then they open up the Halo 2 gameplay with SMG -> Dual Wielding. They literally removed dual wielding from ever iteration of Halo going forward, I am surprised they would think that is something people would want to see in the initial game play.

Its just dumb. The games play so differently as well. How can anyone think it's fun to go from 4v4 Halo 2 BR on Battle Creek, to 4v4 Halo 3 pit with AR starts or H3 leading shot BR, to 4v4 Halo 4 Haven with BR that has flinch and sprint is universal. It's not a question of democracy and grudging it out on a game type or map you don't like, as opposed to completely different games, each with different skill curves.
Yep, each game needs it's own playlists. If they want a random playlists where anything and everything goes cool.

I don't want to play team BRs on 2 having a blast then get stuck with infinity slayer abandoned on 4.

Still awhile away I'm sure they will make it right.

RoKKeR

Seeing it as SMG start at E3 wasn't a good sign... I mean they've gotten so many things right, and then they open up the Halo 2 gameplay with SMG -> Dual Wielding. They literally removed dual wielding from ever iteration of Halo going forward, I am surprised they would think that is something people would want to see in the initial game play.

Halo 3, yo.

I'm sure this has already been brought up, but does the X1's increased power over the 360 allow 343 to expand Forge in Halo 3 and Halo 4 at all?

Like an increased budget for larger/more detailed/complex maps?

I'm sure this has already been brought up, but does the X1's increased power over the 360 allow 343 to expand Forge in Halo 3 and Halo 4 at all?

I'm sure they could.

I kind of doubt that's a priority to upgrade Forge for this project though.

I think I recall a Bravo tweet where he said you can search by game. I agree having to vote on which game you play is unacceptable. If I want to play Halo 2, I want to play Halo 2, I shouldn't have to worry about what the other players I match with want to play. Hell, if somebody wants to play Halo 4 then they should have their own thing too, that's their prerogative and it shouldn't be up to me to say which Halo he plays. I also agree with the opinion that ranks for each game should be separate.

The tweet in question, I think: https://twitter.com/Brav/status/476517207967424512

@Brav why not add a filter to the matchmaking a bit like halo 3 so the player will have more chance to play the game he likes the most #Halo

@GabBouillon No filters needed. We'll have dedicated experiences for separate games.

Ok so, what does "dedicated experiences" mean?

--

Another one: https://twitter.com/Brav/status/476466181314850816

@GoPokes16 we'll have cross game playlists as well as dedicated experiences.

Again with "dedicated experiences", rather than dedicated playlists. Kinda vague to me, since that could still be defined by customs... Still firmly in the wait and see camp.

FyreWulff

They could increase the budget. The object limit would still exist as that is a file format limitation.

They probably won't touch the map budgets though.

The tweet in question, I think: https://twitter.com/Brav/status/476517207967424512

Ok so, what does "dedicated experiences" mean?

Almost surely it means there will be a few dedicated hoppers for each game.

Probably not much more than 3 or 4 hoppers dedicated to each game, but if they don't do that the value of the collection is significantly diminished to at least myself and I'm sure others. I have no interest in playing Halo 3 when I'm trying to play Halo CE. Wildly different experiences.

I don't have a whole lot of interest in playing Halo 3 in the collection, and none in playing Halo 4.

Top Bottom