• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

This is a first

Just finished a match and the post game carnage doesn't show my name. It shows 2 full teams of 8 players but I'm not there

It was a bot? I was in a match with 7 bots because mostly everyone left the game, didnt know the game have bot names when it cant load the player name.

Thanks man. Again, nothing against the guy, just curiosity.

But if he knows so much about Halo, why is this going downhill? Maybe he has ideas but they're not appreciated?

The problem with the franchise right now is its lack of one vision. They're trying to blow everyone away and are ultimately not blowing anyone away. They're in too many places all at once. They wanna satisfy the core, and yet also want to be at that COD level (where Halo previously was).

The problem with Halo gameplay is that times have changed. What Halo did well years ago isn't good enough anymore to be at the top spot. The younger gamers now are all ADDs it seems. They want everything now, fast, constant and only for a few minutes. COD does that very well. In a way, it kinda emulated the MMO idea where you can quickly go in and out, and there's always something to unlock, a rank you want to achieve or a weapon or add-on you want etc... Halo in that sense hasn't evolved. Its just copied that COD formula and tried to put its own spin on it.

I would not want to be them tbh. Id honestly would have rather seen Halo go in the Destiny direction than see it stuck in the middle of trying to please the past or copy the current.

The problem with the franchise right now is its lack of one vision. They're trying to blow everyone away and are ultimately not blowing anyone away. They're in too many places all at once. They wanna satisfy the core, and yet also want to be at that COD level (where Halo previously was).

The problem with Halo gameplay is that times have changed. What Halo did well years ago isn't good enough anymore to be at the top spot. The younger gamers now are all ADDs it seems. They want everything now, fast, constant and only for a few minutes. COD does that very well. In a way, it kinda emulated the MMO idea where you can quickly go in and out, and there's always something to unlock, a rank you want to achieve or a weapon or add-on you want etc... Halo in that sense hasn't evolved. Its just copied that COD formula and tried to put its own spin on it.

I would not want to be them tbh. Id honestly would have rather seen Halo go in the Destiny direction than see it stuck in the middle of trying to please the past or copy the current.

No the problem is not that the halo formulae is stale. The problem is that halo has deviated from its own formulae.

Fuchsdh

All above makes a lot of sense.

I do wonder why they didn't include the pistol as secondary. I know how much (many)people hate AR-only starts, but I always thought it was an attempt to force (maybe force isn't the right word, let's say encourage) a more mid-range fight off the start with some roles being further defined by who went to grab which weapons of spawn. When I first got a handle on it I thought of it in terms of the pre-match buy options of CS, but happening in-game (not an apt comparison, but hopefully you get my drift)

The idea of say Sandtrap, and seeing the other team but not being able to engage them seems like it could have that cool battle rush type feel (you know those scenes in movies where the two opposing forces rush toward each other and collide in a massive cluster of destruction and death). Though it never really worked out that way and after that first rush (which may or may not happen) it never really occurs again and you spend more time looking for the ammo you want instead of engaging the opponent. Which actually happens a lot in halo 4 if you are picking a less popular weapon and one that seems to run out of ammo quickly (thanks a lot, light rifle).

One reason I liked the idea of it was the calm before the storm, having the time to actually think about what was happening, which is actually why I'm not much a fan of instant respawn and sprint for some of the same reason. I'm fine with them, but think the game is better without. Part of the reason I always thought the 30 seconds of fun idea was so great was that it was broken up so you could enjoy those bits.

I completely agree with this sentiment. I've always preferred the idea of having a close-range auto combined with a powerful sidearm; I think largely Halo 4 has the best combination of a lethal but more finesse-driven auto and a powerful but not dominating pistol. I also like that it prevents madcap engagements right off the start and instead orients the opening moments of the matches to securing positions and power weapons. In Halo 4 unlike any time in Halo 2, 3, or Reach, I don't feel gimped starting with AR + Pistol (and with dexterity on, I feel more capable in some scenarios.)

I don't see the issue with offering BR and AR starts as options in voting, though.

Couldn't they just enlarge Midship to handle sprint?

Just have Midship with vote variants without sprint, were it so easy.

-snip-
One reason I liked the idea of it was the calm before the storm, having the time to actually think about what was happening,

Also agree with your comment, sprint/Halo4 seem to always have the volume up to 9 or 10 constantly. I think playlist or variants of both are required e.g. sprint with custom loadouts + AA's + mods vs. no sprint with fixed loadouts + restricted AA's + fixed/no mods.

Seems like a perfect base setup that provides scope for game types, casual, competitive, customs etc all while enabling pacing nuances to shift the volume levels.

In Halo 4 unlike any time in Halo 2, 3, or Reach, I don't feel gimped starting with AR + Pistol (and with dexterity on, I feel more capable in some scenarios.)

I don't see the issue with offering BR and AR starts as options in voting, though.

I agree with this too. I feel for the most part Halo 4 in its current form offers the best and most varied sandbox. The maps could be more varied in terms of size or roles in relation to the weapons though e.g. Maps like turf or elongation.

FyreWulff

They should make a map in the spirit of Midship, but not Midship. Midship is just way too damn small, even if you tried to scale it up, for the current engine.

Much like I'd prefer a successor to The Pit, not the Pit. Although they did enlarge the Pit to accomodate sprint. Take the lessons from The Pit and Anchor 9, identify what went wrong, and build a map better than both of them to accomodate your game.

They should make a map in the spirit of Midship, but not Midship. Midship is just way too damn small, even if you tried to scale it up, for the current engine.

Much like I'd prefer a successor to The Pit, not the Pit. Although they did enlarge the Pit to accomodate sprint. Take the lessons from The Pit and Anchor 9, identify what went wrong, and build a map better than both of them to accomodate your game.

To that first one: Opus?

TheOddOne

How about we change the game setting to Halo 3. Change nothing of Midship. First week free, after that it costs 3.99.

FyreWulff

How about we change the game setting to Halo 3. Change nothing of Midship. First week free, after that it costs 3.99.

Too small to work in the existing spawn engine. Look at the troubles Skyline has, and I haven't done any WU measurements but I believe it's bigger than Midship.

I got my fill of it back in the Halo 2 days, but I will recognize that it's probably one of the last Halo maps that was actually playable in local 4-split in terms of gameplay. Since 2 the maps have all gotten so big that IMO 4-player local just wasn't as fun as Halo 1.

TheOddOne

Too small to work in the existing spawn engine. Look at the troubles Skyline has, and I haven't done any WU measurements but I believe it's bigger than Midship.

I got my fill of it back in the Halo 2 days, but I will recognize that it's probably one of the last Halo maps that was actually playable in local 4-split in terms of gameplay. Since 2 the maps have all gotten so big that IMO 4-player local just wasn't as fun as Halo 1.
Skyline would benifit from Halo 3/2 base settings.

Striker

I don't like Skyline's center with the lifts. It's not a terrible map like Isolation but it's pretty mediocre. Monolith would be better under those traditional settings, though.

Karl2177

I know, but its very, very good.

It's okay. With sprint though, you can definitely tell that the map maker designed specific sprint to cover routes(which generally aren't great in an organic game). It also doesn't help that the map is quite wide open and makes spawning outside of the base tedious and not a ton of fun.

Wait, since when does Halo 4 have bots?

I dont explained myself correctly then I was in a very laggy BTB match, so bad that we were aganist two enemy players (the ones who were lagging the match I think) so the match went so much black screens and then the game filled the players names with the same initial letters and some variations like a bot name or dev name in the final score table when the match was over.

Gui_PT

I dont explained myself correctly then I was in a very laggy BTB match, so bad that we were aganist two enemy players (the ones who were lagging the match I think) so the match went so much black screens and then the game filled the players names with the same initial letters and some variations like a bot name or dev name in the final score table when the match was over.

I don't think that's what happened to me but that is one amazing tale.

Midship is so good. SO good. I almost can't believe it's a part of Halo considering the quality of maps in Reach and 4. Sprint kills Halo.

Power House or whatever it's called > Sword Base

I dislike sword base mostly because it was designed around jet packs and the yellow lift choke point is so dumb and seems to be the focus of the map.

Multi-team headhunter swordbase against scubs with the propipesnipe combo was uproarious fun though. Other than that, agreed that swordbase was dark green poop.

What the hell, first game of the night, get thrown into a BTB in progress (don't mind) but there has been about 9 re-hosts in the last 10 minutes of play, and no one is leaving by the looks of it just the game doing it's thing and changing host.

annoying the shit out of me.

*edit* it won't stop! but I dislike quitting :/

Booshka

What the hell, first game of the night, get thrown into a BTB in progress (don't mind) but there has been about 9 re-hosts in the last 10 minutes of play, and no one is leaving by the looks of it just the game doing it's thing and changing host.

annoying the shit out of me.

*edit* it won't stop! but I dislike quitting :/

Power of the Cloud, Dedicated Servers are only possible with new hardware, clearly.

Halo should have had Dedi's since at least Halo 3, and Halo 2 in my opinion. It's fucking Microsoft's mainline game, they should have afforded some server infrastructure to make it the best online experience on consoles. But hey, what do I know, I just stare at blue/black screen a couple times every game and wonder why the hell I am paying 60 bucks a year for Gold.

Top Bottom