• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

TheOddOne

So many wrong things said in only two sentences.

You embody everything wrong with Halo.
Search your feelings. You will know it to be right.

i_am_your_father.jpg

That map embodied everything that was wrong with Reach. It was made for AA's.

It also helped shape every map after that. One of the worst things to happen to Halo.

Didn't just take over captaining the bad opinion train, but brutally murdered the pervious captain to do so.

It's too hot and I can't BR well tonight.

Does a kill cam show you the other persons sight with their ping or is it worked out on your end? feels like people are spotting me a second before I spot them in kill cams and wondering if I suck due to ping latency.

IHaveIce

Banned
Don't know what Oddone means with all that because I'm pretty drunk, but Arena Zelot is absolutely better than Power House.

Power House was ok in the beta, in the full game it was weird better but not really a good map.

Reach had shit maps

I fucking hate so many 1 hit deaths in this game, augh.

I also seem to be the only player in this game without any kind of melee lunge while others can do it across gaps.

This is most of my ctf tonight :(

usually some godly sniper picking off my random team.

TheOddOne

Interesting pre-vis art from (scrapped?) multiplayer maps for Castle and Majestic pack:
'Demilitarized'

546_max.jpg

Artist note: Early vis dev for the Halo 4 "Castle Map Pack"

'Scyllion'

061_max.jpg

Artist note: Early vis dev for the Halo 4 "Majestic Map Pack"

'Easter Island'

743_max.jpg

Artist note: Unused viz dev for the Halo 4 "Majestic Map Pack". I had this image in my head of an ancient Covenant "Easter Island", but ultimately it wasn't appropriate for the visual direction of the game.
Artist has artwork from Vortex, Solance, Landfall and Skyline.

TCKaos

Artist note: Unused viz dev for the Halo 4 "Majestic Map Pack". I had this image in my head of an ancient Covenant "Easter Island", but ultimately it wasn't appropriate for the visual direction of the game.

"It wasn't bland, colorless or impossible to navigate, and would probably have been well received, so they made me scrap it."

TCKaos

Oh boy, apparently Extraction was coded directly from Assault. I'll just quote the entire post because I can't explain for shit:

TAxxOUTBR3AKxx said:
It was me. The bomb and Extractor are actually 2 different weapons. When you spawn with the extractor, it's the solo handheld portion. When the bomb is spawned, it's the extractor as well but there is also the physical "bomb" at the front end of it.

Ive got the Bomb-spawning in Extraction, but for reasons unknown it wont arm a site while Device Type is set to Neutral, but correctly prohibits players from arming at all. Also, i get an Expert Extraction medal each time I extract a site.

Just realiazed this. 343 may have split the bomb into "phases". The Bomb may pnly be used when the device is set to automatic (default) and the player is actively arming. The weapon get swapped for the bomb and you arm. Either successful or not, you get swapped back to your weapon afterwards.

However, carry_bomb may essentially be the same thing, but meant for device neing set for neutral. It may have properties (like the flag) that make it work a certain way. Maybe if i use THAT tag instead of the default bomb it'll arm sites like intended?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=e72wcu6Ca1s

So I was correct. Each objective has a set of options that are hardcoded and may or may not be able to be overrode via Megalo. This means the flag can never be dropped or manually picked up. This means the Oddall/Grifball are allowed to be thrown and auto-pickup enabled/disabled.

I was using the default Bomb tool before. This object however, doesn't allow anything other than melee, which is what you are equipped with in default Extraction and that's all IT CAN do.

However, I changed what spawns to the Carry_Bomb, and you can drop it now. This object was MEANT TO BE carried only and offers dropping like Halo 3 and Reach flags, bombs, and balls. However it still cannot arm sites. So it seems while some progress is being made, it's still slow.

Edit: Because of this, it seems Extraction came directly from Assault. They planned on having the carry_bomb in-game but never finished it for unknown reasons. There's even a HUD banner for carrying it. I'd like to get these couple in-game mechanics to get it mostly set up:

-Allow Bomb to arm Sites
-Set Waypoint on Undropped Bombs
-Set Timer on Undropped Bombs

Interesting pre-vis art from (scrapped?) multiplayer maps for Castle and Majestic pack:

Artist has artwork from Vortex, Solance, Landfall and Skyline.

"I had this image in my head of an ancient Covenant "Easter Island", but ultimately it wasn't appropriate for the visual direction of the game."

Wasn't appropriate for the visual direction of the game meaning that there was a no-no on any Covenant environments in this game.

Madness

Yup, pretty sure all green and purple was banned from this game. It's why the UNSC is pretty much white/gray, and the Covenant is almost a dark plum.

Add in the god awful tint and lighting and the color is almost drained from the game.

Yup, pretty sure all green and purple was banned from this game. It's why the UNSC is pretty much white/gray, and the Covenant is almost a dark plum.

Add in the god awful tint and lighting and the color is almost drained from the game.

I guess you could say 343 seeing so many Covenant environments got them...

plumb tuckered.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Concept art does nothing but confuse me. Everything is pretty but looks huge. So am i still not buying maps and voting haven every time?

Concept art does nothing but confuse me. Everything is pretty but looks huge. So am i still not buying maps and voting haven every time?

Speaking of Haven, did they like remove that from matchmaking for some reason?

*checks* I haven't played a game on Haven since the 17th of May. The only maps that come up for 4v4 for me are poop from a butt forge and the occasional Adrift and Abandon.

FyreWulff

They really should switch to armor sales to subsidize the DLC maps, and make the maps free.

Really, all they need to do is let everyone use any color but black for their spartan. Let people buy the pitch black Halo 1 armor color for 5$ and you could probably fund the next 3 Halos off the sales.

IHaveIce

Banned
Speaking of Haven, did they like remove that from matchmaking for some reason?

*checks* I haven't played a game on Haven since the 17th of May. The only maps that come up for 4v4 for me are poop from a butt forge and the occasional Adrift and Abandon.
Played the last time on it when I was on.
It's apparently possible to remove skyboxes using Megalo.
Oh can somebody do that for Abandon?

Slayer match on Power House last night, it felt so good running around that map, I like it and wish it appeared more often then that long white layout with the sniper and sticky launcher under the waterfall area, that map sucks

Should note that was in reach, not halo 4 oops

They really should switch to armor sales to subsidize the DLC maps, and make the maps free.

Really, all they need to do is let everyone use any color but black for their spartan. Let people buy the pitch black Halo 1 armor color for 5$ and you could probably fund the next 3 Halos off the sales.
This is the best post you have ever made.

I dunno I've been watching the games and some get super intense, makes me remember how good it is to watch competitive gaming.

I wanna see complexity win cause Clayster. Again I used to play with that dude and here he is winning tons of cash at tourneys. I shoulda dropped out n went pro...stupid Juices.

Still Blops II catered to the competitive crowd and they get tourneys and people watching.

Same with games like Lol n Dota those are all about competition.

Halo is about accessibility, casualization, removing competitive features.

Which game gets watched? Played?

Bravo creates a solid AR legendary slayer playlist. Game peaks at 30k. BlopsII institutes spectator mode and ranked league play and the game has 45k viewers watching a EU tourney.

The competitive scene is bigger than you think 343i. Sure you'll still get sales to anything with the name Halo. But are people playing your game?

I wish we got a DLC required playlist that was

The Pit
Haven
Skyline
Landfall
and 1 good forge map

Team Slayer
Team Oddball
Team CTF
Team Slayer Pro

BR Magnum 2 Frag no AA Starts, No ordnance

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Still Blops II catered to the competitive crowd and they get tourneys and people watching.

Same with games like Lol n Dota those are all about competition.

Halo is about accessibility, casualization, removing competitive features.

Which game gets watched? Played?

Bravo creates a solid AR legendary slayer playlist. Game peaks at 30k. BlopsII institutes spectator mode and ranked league play and the game has 45k viewers watching a EU tourney.

The competitive scene is bigger than you think 343i. Sure you'll still get sales to anything with the name Halo. But are people playing your game?

Well this happens when you launch an incomplete product and piss everyone off.

smash bros

Speaking of Smash Bros., saw this mentioned in the GAF thread from IGN.

But while Sakurai admits the company needs to adapt to incorporate new controller options, he's adamant the rest of the game doesn't need to change to remain fresh. Having had three very successful entries in the franchise, the former Project Sora boss feels the series has found its target audience, meaning introducing gimmicks would hinder rather than help the brand.

"The game system itself is complete, so we don’t want to make it 3D or introduce complicated controls just for the sake of it," he said. "However, I am thinking of ways we can introduce a slightly different, fun experience all the while keeping the usual frantic game play."

Makes me feel good about Smash's future.

A design philosophy I'm hopeful for with Halo.

Top Bottom