• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

343, can Legendary Slayer be AR/BR start or AR/Magnum start at the very least?

If you fix the six rockets on Haven I'll play this playlist until the next Halo game comes out.

Guys, look: I'm sure there was some sort of digital snafu when they uploaded these maps, similar to the missing map pieces in the Forge playlist when it first launched.

Clearly, there was supposed to be 12 rockets on Haven. Should be fixed soon, we just need to give the Sustain Team more leeway and understanding.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
343, can Legendary Slayer be AR/BR start or AR/Magnum start at the very least?

If you fix the six rockets on Haven I'll play this playlist until the next Halo game comes out.

AR/Magnum.

AR/BR start, that's a Pro type start, so only if they make a Legendary Pro, which would be kind of pointless (since it would basically be normal Turbo Pro)

Legendary sucks on any map apart from that halo 2 remake

To make things worse the game started 4 v 3 and no one joined mid match, so we got stomped.

PISTOL SPAWN or gtfo legendary.

We need more disabled radar modes.

TheOddOne

Guys, look: I'm sure there was some sort of digital snafu when they uploaded these maps, similar to the missing map pieces in the Forge playlist when it first launched.

Clearly, there was supposed to be 12 rockets on Haven. Should be fixed soon, we just need to give the Sustain Team more leeway and understanding.
tumblr_inline_mp8ubdrjr21qz4rgp.gif

Ya - don't you know those were MLG's settings all these years?

Also, is anyone else watching Ninja and other pros trying to stream snipe RyanNoob so he gets a loss in the GC? Shit is funny.

Been following ninja for a few weeks, so that's what he is doing right now lol.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I will make it so!

Also I just got asked if I could do a Mister Chief avatar. They asked me if I could do turnarounds. I have never considered that he might have an ass.

No the problem is not that the halo formulae is stale. The problem is that halo has deviated from its own formulae.

Halo is trying to be too many things all at once. Even if they were to go back to a pure Halo2 or 3 formula, i really believe that it will not change a damn thing. They've been implementing the "old formula" in 4 with pro and now legendary slayer and the player count hasn't been spiking at all, its been dropping even more. When Halo2 was on top, it had very little competition in terms of console shooters. Not to say that it wasn't good or fun, it was....then. But this is 2013, not 2003. The Halo formula that was enough back then, isn't enough anymore. The younger generation want more in-game "payoffs" from their online shooters now. Hell, even some of my older friends who played with me then want that now too. Times have changed, but its pointless to even try to explain that in this thread.

I imagine that thats one of the reasons even Bungie moved on from Halo. They always said they made games they wanted to play first. Last i checked, they weren't doing that same old formula. Even they needed something new.

GloveSlap

Legendary sucks on any map apart from that halo 2 remake

To make things worse the game started 4 v 3 and no one joined mid match, so we got stomped.

PISTOL SPAWN or gtfo legendary.

We need more disabled radar modes.

I really can't believe you don't start with at least a pistol in legendary. It seems like intentional trolling by 343 at this point. There are so many things in Halo 4 and Reach that I would only do as a designer if I was purposely trying to annoy the shit out of people.

Haven had a decent amount of BRs and Carbines on the map at least. I never saw anything besides rockets on Skyline, just a constant AR fest. I couldn't stomach any more of the constant spraying, so I wasn't able to experience any other maps.

achievements for the DLC so far are terrible... like the one about getting a kill while airborne in a warthog? That's ridiculous. Its never gonna happen by chance. Whoever writes out these achievements needs to make more fun ones to get and not impossible ones...

On a side note. Will there be new achievements for the new Champions DLC?

Madness

achievements for the DLC so far are terrible... like the one about getting a kill while airborne in a warthog? That's ridiculous. Its never gonna happen by chance. Whoever writes out these achievements needs to make more fun ones to get and not impossible ones...

On a side note. Will there be new achievements for the new Champions DLC?

Got it like two days after dlc came out. Just got a warthog in that wreckage map near the bottom, was like halfway through the map, took it through the man cannon and it splattered like two guys in middle hill who didn't get away in time.

I agree the achievements are dumb and that they should get rid of them in multiplayer. I've all but stopped caring about achievements now. I'd turn them off if I could.

I will make it so!

Also I just got asked if I could do a Mister Chief avatar. They asked me if I could do turnarounds. I have never considered that he might have an ass.

And here I was thinking Mister Chief got plenty of ass. MC should return for the weekly bulletins, just once would be awesome...maybe as screenshot/fan art of the week so we get to ruin MC :)

Z..

Guys, how essential is this game considering I don't care about the multiplayer at all? Is there still life left in Halo or is it just another spent force like Gears?

I've always liked the Halo games but never loved them... I guess what I'm asking is if this is something new and worthwile or just more of the same. What say ye?

Booshka

Guys, how essential is this game considering I don't care about the multiplayer at all? Is there still life left in Halo or is it just another spent force like Gears?

I've always liked the Halo games but never loved them... I guess what I'm asking is if this is something new and worthwile or just more of the same. What say ye?

It's not a fun Halo game, straight up. The Campaign is boring, linear and poorly told.

I'd pass if I were you, better things to spend your time on.

PNut

Banned

If you like the Halo lore or have read the books then rent it for the campaign and return it. Other than it's dead. Don't expect a great storyline like the older games though.

The people that are controlling this game now have no idea what they're doing. Most were hired because they didn't like the older Halos and the more recent people hired have already been brainwashed.

It's like watching the Titanic movie spread out over years.....

RIP

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Are there any console games that give you the arena type gameplay of classic Halo? I feel bad giving Halo 4 player numbers as much as I still love Halo T-T (have PS360)

Personally I feel the campaign, terminals (unlocked in game but viewed on Halo Waypoint website) and the CGI cut-scenes from campaign & Spartan Ops are a must to any casual or die hard fan. In terms of where the story is going for the next couple of Halo games I place Halo 4 as a campaign must have/play.

I found parts of the story, especially the CGI, exceeding the Bungie games for me. There are also parts of the campaign gameplay that fall short of the Bungie campaign(s) of old. Personally I replayed Halo 2 campaign the most, then Reach's, then CE, then Halo 4, then Halo 3 and finally ODST.

The audio mixing in game suffered a lack of volume controls and the in game effects drown out the music too much. I do love at least 6 songs from the OST1 & OST2 though. The AI has taken hits due to the aging xbox 360 hardware and the high graphical quality of Halo 4, which is great by the way and easily the best in the series for me personally.

If you're US based the sales on Halo 4 make it a no brainer purchase if you ask me.

As for the multiplayer that's really up to your individual tastes but I'd rate Halo 2/3 ranked a better multiplayer experience overall that lasts longer in terms of re-playability. If you liked Reach's multiplayer then you'll find plenty of playlists you'll like in Halo 4. If you're a CE/2 purist you'll most likely play 1-3 specific Halo 4 playlists.

If you have XBL friends that play Halo 4 you'll have a great time but if you're going in solo the competitive side will be harsh, just as any previous Halo multiplayer. I hope that helps mate.

Separate topic:
What do you all think of the second Gold XBL accounts being purchased to play in the global Halo FFA tourney?

Z..

If you like the Halo lore or have read the books then rent it for the campaign and return it. Other than it's dead. Don't expect a great storyline like the older games though.

The people that are controlling this game now have no idea what they're doing. Most were hired because they didn't like the older Halos and the more recent people hired have already been brainwashed.

It's like watching the Titanic movie spread out over years.....

RIP

Renting isn't an option as it doesn't exist over here, sadly. =p Guess I'll pass on it...

I really don't know what you're on about as far as "great storyline" goes, though. Having played every Halo game except ODST, Wars and 4, I just don't see what you can be talking about. It's not terrible, but come on...

I never did understand people who play games for the story (except on some rare occasions like Planescape: Torment).

Z..

Personally I feel the campaign, terminals (unlocked in game but viewed on Halo Waypoint website) and the CGI cut-scenes from campaign & Spartan Ops are a must to any casual or die hard fan. In terms of where the story is going for the next couple of Halo games I place Halo 4 as a campaign must have/play.

I found parts of the story, especially the CGI, exceeding the Bungie games for me. There are also parts of the campaign gameplay that fall short of the Bungie campaign(s) of old. Personally I replayed Halo 2 campaign the most, then Reach's, then CE, then Halo 4, then Halo 3 and finally ODST.

The audio mixing in game suffered a lack of volume controls and the in game effects drown out the music too much. I do love at least 6 songs from the OST1 & OST2 though. The AI has taken hits due to the aging xbox 360 hardware and the high graphical quality of Halo 4, which is great by the way and easily the best in the series for me personally.

If you're US based the sales on Halo 4 make it a no brainer purchase if you ask me.

As for the multiplayer that's really up to your individual tastes but I'd rate Halo 2/3 ranked a better multiplayer experience overall that lasts longer in terms of re-playability. If you liked Reach's multiplayer then you'll find plenty of playlists you'll like in Halo 4. If you're a CE/2 purist you'll most likely play 1-3 specific Halo 4 playlists.

If you have XBL friends that play Halo 4 you'll have a great time but if you're going in solo the competitive side will be harsh, just as any previous Halo multiplayer. I hope that helps mate.

Separate topic:
What do you all think of the second Gold XBL accounts being purchased to play in the global Halo FFA tourney?

It does help. Especially since my favourites were 2 (never got the hate) and Reach, just like you. Hmm.

As for the multiplayer, I appreciate the info but I literally don't care about it. At all. Tried 3 and Reach, Not for me. Plus, gold doesn't make sense to me considering I play 80% of my games on the PC, so...

Fracas

#fuckonami

I would honestly just go rent it. Campaign has very little replayability. Spartan Ops is repetitive and poorly designed.

edit: bah, didn't see where you said renting isn't an option. Maybe borrow it from someone? If you really want to play it, it shouldn't be hard to find for cheap somewhere.

TCKaos

Separate topic:

Something something no in-game ranks prevent cheating something something.

Should have had a stipulation that you'd have to have been a member for a certain amount of time before competing. It would prevent this kind of stuff.

I know there are already 50s in the playlist, though. There were some within a few hours.

I dont mind, I just want to be entered into the drawings for stuff. However it woulda been cool if some good stuff was available to win this week.

Kinect and then a bunch of virtual crap. Yawnnnnn. Put up some games or cash to win. Hopefully the next weeks are better.

My xbox gold expired today. Any deals online?

Something something no in-game ranks prevent cheating something something.

Should have had a stipulation that you'd have to have been a member for a certain amount of time before competing. It would prevent this kind of stuff.

I know there are already 50s in the playlist, though. There were some within a few hours.

Good points mate and so true on the cheating/ranks comment. I still can't shake the idea that ranks were purposely withheld from Halo 4 in leui of X1 sales/retention for multiplayer.

daedalius

Would definitely get it.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
Halo is trying to be too many things all at once. Even if they were to go back to a pure Halo2 or 3 formula, i really believe that it will not change a damn thing. They've been implementing the "old formula" in 4 with pro and now legendary slayer and the player count hasn't been spiking at all, its been dropping even more. When Halo2 was on top, it had very little competition in terms of console shooters. Not to say that it wasn't good or fun, it was....then. But this is 2013, not 2003. The Halo formula that was enough back then, isn't enough anymore. The younger generation want more in-game "payoffs" from their online shooters now. Hell, even some of my older friends who played with me then want that now too. Times have changed, but its pointless to even try to explain that in this thread.

I imagine that thats one of the reasons even Bungie moved on from Halo. They always said they made games they wanted to play first. Last i checked, they weren't doing that same old formula. Even they needed something new.

Back in 2007/08 all the top franchises that are dominating the charts now were dominating the charts then, for the most part anyway. Halo 3 had no problems retaining its popularity then. It was only when Reach came along that Halo took a dive and then moreso with 4. If you were trying to look for a correlation the most logical would be that the more Halo has strayed from its initial formula the less popular it has become.

So many players have now given up on Halo 4 that I really think trying to draw any conclusions from gameplay tweaks and population etc is almost competely meaningless. Most people have drawn their conclusions long ago, mainly that Halo 4 is not fun or even representative of a Halo game and are now long gone. People rarely return to a game that was not good, me included, I've not played Halo 4 for months and don't intend to play it again. The only way I would consider it is if they literally redesigned the whole thing, I know all my friends who used to play think the exact same.

This idea that only CoD clones will be successful FPS games I don't understand. Not everyone has the same tastes. I distinctly remember Halo 3 and CoD 4 appealing to different types of gamer and being accepted as different sub genres of FPS and both being very popular a the same time. I firmly believe if Halo had stuck to its original formula and built upon that rather than copying CoD we would be seeing a much more popular Halo game.

Having played every Halo game except ODST
Buy ODST and play it. It's more enjoyable than Halo 4, easily.

Halo 4's campaign is very pretty to look at, but it comes at a pretty big cost. Everything is far more linear than any other Halo campaign, and the new Promethean enemies lack proper damage feedback, have an absurdly dull combat loop (Watchers --> Crawlers --> Knights), and are incredibly frustrating to fight at higher difficulties.

The sound design is spotty; the Warthog is so loud that it overshadows dialog at times, approaching Ghosts often don't make any sound, Covenant weapon sounds were needlessly changed and opinions on them are mixed. Then there's the soundtrack, which is generally pretty low in the mix and cannot be changed, which I feel does Davidge some fair amount of injustice.

The story is...meh. The Chief/Cortana plot is the most entertaining plot point but ventures a little to far towards actual romance than was probably intended. The main antagonist is your typical one-note BIG BAD, and it's an utter shame that the essential backstory needed to make him more intriguing requires you to physically stop playing the game and visit the Waypoint app to even watch it (can you even do that without Live? I dunno). I will say that the in-game cutscenes are incredibly well done and has some of the finest voice acting to date of the Halo franchise.

If you can find Halo 4 for dirt cheap, I'd say go for it. Amazon has it new for $21.99 in the US, and I'd say that's a toss-up on whether the campaign is worth it.

And be aware that, along with multiplayer, Spartan Ops (343's attempt at making their version of a Firefight/Campaign hybrid) is unavailable to people who don't have a Live subscription.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I love how 4's campaign started out (first two levels or so) but it really tapered off. The feeling when you first wake up on the abandoned ship was dead on, same with the crash landing on Requiem and the warthog exploration. After that it loses the feeling though.

TheOddOne

It would be interesting to see Chief have no contact with UNSC at all during a whole campaign. Just Chief. Chiefin' on his own. Doing Chief things.

LastChance2Frag

Neo Member

The campaign is good. Spartan op's can be fun if you play it with others, I am still working my way through it solo and its a bit of a chore. But overall its still well worth the price even if you don't touch the multiplayer.

Lots of daily/weekly challenges that are specifically for campaign/spartan op's so you can level your Spartan to customise your gear without going on multiplayer at all.

Karl2177

It's definitely something new to Halo, but I don't think it's worthwhile.

I love how 4's campaign started out (first two levels or so) but it really tapered off. The feeling when you first wake up on the abandoned ship was dead on, same with the crash landing on Requiem and the warthog exploration. After that it loses the feeling though.

For me, once you start fighting the Prometheans, that's with the magic stops. They were such a chore bore to fight. :/

Let's hope 343 adds a bit more variety to the Promethean weapons and enemies in Halo 5. I don't want reskins of human weapons.

Computer

Gave up on Halo 4 it will never be fun. Been playing Halo 3 again. It is still amazing. Everyone should boycott Halo 4 and go back to H3 that will show them.

Top Bottom