• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Back in 2007/08 all the top franchises that are dominating the charts now were dominating the charts then, for the most part anyway. Halo 3 had no problems retaining its popularity then. It was only when Reach came along that Halo took a dive and then moreso with 4. If you were trying to look for a correlation the most logical would be that the more Halo has strayed from its initial formula the less popular it has become.

So many players have now given up on Halo 4 that I really think trying to draw any conclusions from gameplay tweaks and population etc is almost competely meaningless. Most people have drawn their conclusions long ago, mainly that Halo 4 is not fun or even representative of a Halo game and are now long gone. People rarely return to a game that was not good, me included, I've not played Halo 4 for months and don't intend to play it again. The only way I would consider it is if they literally redesigned the whole thing, I know all my friends who used to play think the exact same.

This idea that only CoD clones will be successful FPS games I don't understand. Not everyone has the same tastes. I distinctly remember Halo 3 and CoD 4 appealing to different types of gamer and being accepted as different sub genres of FPS and both being very popular a the same time. I firmly believe if Halo had stuck to its original formula and built upon that rather than copying CoD we would be seeing a much more popular Halo game.

Selective reading much? Where did i say it needed to be a COD clone? MMOs have "payoffs" too. Is that also a COD clone? What i mean by payoff is something that keeps gamers coming back. People need a reason to keep ranking up and sticking with it. Fun doesnt cut it anymore. There are many fun games out there to play. The next rank should give you something of value. Halo3 you use as an example is great cause the ranks in there were actual ranks. People wanted to keep going at it just because that number was representative of something. Their skill level. Halo Reach's system in this regard was absolute garbage. No one wants to play for a month to go up ONE full rank (that means nothing) and get a fucking shoulder pad. This doesn't keep anyone interested in any world on any planet. That my friend has A LOT more to do with Reachs fall (no pun intended) compared to 3 then the gameplay ever did.

Halo started to fall when the other games understood this and ultimately did it a lot better than Halo has recently.

I think that this game would be better if all the weapons shot a little slower in pace, you die so fast and if you have a slightly laggy host you will be 5 shot before you can do much or react, I never remember death being this fast even in halo 2 with the BR's there.

Madness

I don't know Mikey, there are a lot of players who don't really care about cosmetic unlocks or some sort of progression system as opposed to great gameplay.

I don't think people stopped playing Reach or abandoned it because security shoulders or inheritor took so long to grind to, as opposed to the game changing mechanics of Armor Abilities, and things like Bloom, slow movement, 3x DMR etc.

I don't know Mikey, there are a lot of players who don't really care about cosmetic unlocks or some sort of progression system as opposed to great gameplay.

I don't think people stopped playing Reach or abandoned it because security shoulders or inheritor took so long to grind to, as opposed to the game changing mechanics of Armor Abilities, and things like Bloom, slow movement, 3x DMR etc.

The progression system is now just as important as great gameplay these days. Funny how people started to quit Halo4 about the same time they had unlocked pretty much everything of value (which u all get at the first ranks). Coincidence?

Yeah there were gameplay problems, but im positive more people would have toughed it out had they made the progression more interesting and more addictive.

Vico

Is this... Real?

Protect this House (30G) - In matchmaking, assassinate the ball carrier within five meters of your own goal in Ricochet.

Hat Trick (33G) - In matchmaking, score three times in one round of Ricochet.

From Downtown (25G) - In matchmaking, score by throwing the ball from 30 meters in Ricochet.

Repeat Survivor (25G) - In matchmaking, survive three vehicle explosions in a row with the Survivor package.

Can't Catch Me (20G) - In matchmaking, score a goal in Ricochet while taking damage with the Resistor active.

Just a Scratch (20G) - In matchmaking, recover full shields from low health with both Resistor and Recharge active.

Pitchin' a Tent (40G) - In matchmaking, effectively camp one location without dying for a full 60 seconds.

One Man Army (27G) - In matchmaking, get 4 consecutive kills with the Rocket Launcher without dying.

Shocking (10G) - In Bullseye DLC Matchmaking, activate both electrical surge systems during a match on Vertigo.

Got It! (20G) - In Bullseye DLC Matchmaking, acquire the Rocket Launcher at the start of a match on Pitfall.

Because it sure sounds like some of them are a troll, but who knows.
I remember hearing that the dlc wouldn't add any achievements, by the way. And it would make sense, since its content can be bought separately.

Madness

The progression system is now just as important as great gameplay these days. Funny how people started to quit Halo4 about the same time they had unlocked pretty much everything of value (which u all get at the first ranks). Coincidence?

Yeah there were gameplay problems, but im positive more people would have toughed it out had they made the progression more interesting and more addictive.

I doubt it... I venture to guess the majority of people who quit playing haven't even progressed past SR-50.

The dropoff within a month was ridiculous, coupled with the fact a lot of people also had double xp from photographing doritos bags or drinking dew.

And the bad thing about this progression system to reach is that they were only cosmetic in that game, whereas here, they have huge gameplay impact such as stability for rifles etc.

I'm not averse to a progression system, I think it ads longevity to the game and a lot of people like to dress up their Spartan, etc.

I just believe poor gameplay impacted the series than poor progression systems ever did. Ask the people who absolutely loathe reach, whether they stopped playing because they couldn't get the shoulders they wanted quickly or because they couldn't stand armor lock and bloom.

FyreWulff

Is this... Real?

Because it sure sounds like some of them are a troll, but who knows.
I remember hearing that the dlc wouldn't add any achievements, by the way. And it would make sense, since its content can be bought separately.

Oh my

Jesus fuck just stop

Don't think it's real. How can they detect the camping one?

Internally, they probably just store your WU X,Y,Z and see if it changes > _AMOUNT_ within 60 seconds. People will probably figure out the WU distance it's looking for. I'm going to estimate probably 10x10x10.

Reminds me of the Defiant flag one where it didn't actually care if they picked up the flag or not, if they walked within 5 WU of the flag it counted as 'grabbed' and nullified getting the achievement

Madness

So don't move for 60 seconds gets you an achievement? Brb, going to equip camo and just sit in some random corner while my team gets killed without me helping.

Madness

I'm picturing you doing a spit take, except your beverage is 343's dick.

mj-laughing.gif

Can't not use this gif lol.

TCKaos

Shocking (10G) - In Bullseye DLC Matchmaking, activate both electrical surge systems during a match on Vertigo.

Why the fuck would you do that? Getting this achievement requires that you grief your own team.

I think that's overly conspiratorial. Occam's razor is that they simply didn't have enough time to complete the game. Considering how much better the game is now than at launch, I don't doubt a lot of the features we are missing and things like Spartan Ops' mission design would have been greatly improved with 6-9 months of extra dev time. *That* timeframe might have something to do with Next Gen X1 though--MS was pissed that Halo 2 missed its original 2003 date because that meant no Halo 3 at launch for the 360 (and seeing how Halo 2 and 3 turned out I think what happened was for the better.)

Not finishing the game is very plausible, I agree. However when I look at all the previous games having a ranking system and TrueSkill implementations when they first start UI design etc they would have placeholders/decisions very early on about rank in or out of the game. It's this decision making process early on where I think rank was lost, not so much at the crunch tail end of development. Just a guess anyhow and I can see merit in your rush to complete comment too.

Are there even enough players for trueskill to work perfectly anymore?

Ding Ding Ding! International players experience the worst skewing of this balancing act. Less population and regional skill matching equals poor results for close skill matching or quality host selection. Now combine team matching and you're in a world of lopsided games.

I think that this game would be better if all the weapons shot a little slower in pace, you die so fast and if you have a slightly laggy host you will be 5 shot before you can do much or react, I never remember death being this fast even in halo 2 with the BR's there.

Nah Halo 2 was wicked fast kill times and with the netcode/state of broadband back then you could wipe out 2 or 3 enemies on your own with just a grenade and BR. When you had the sword secondary and that awesomely fast weapon switching you were a run-and-gun-and-swish death machine. I'm glad Halo 4 has returned to this, Halo 3/Reach weighted team shooting too much where Halo 4 seems to have that great balance between solo power and team shooting IMO.

I want one vote variant/playlist where it's ramped up mods wise. Add in base traits with 2-3 fixed loadouts and NO personal ordnance e.g. resupply+dexterity+stealth+stability+110% movement+wheelman+drop recon+recharge+resistor. Call me crazy but I think these sorts of mods/perks all turned on as base without the Infinity style play would make the game more visceral and keep mostly even starts while pushing Halo forward. Anyhow I'd like to test this out and see how it plays in slayer+CTF. Make two vote variants with AA's on and then AA's off. BAM!

Legendary Slayer feedback:
I played a few games last night and for the most part this was fun. A few games really deteriorated into being essentially killed off spawn or quickly after and just become lopsided with ranged weapons. I didn't so much mind the AR starts but once I spawned I rarely could pick up a spawn weapon off map e.g. no precision rifles close to player spawns. Perhaps this was the intention for this playlist but it just rapidly makes for lopsided games, I was on both sides of winning and losing unfairly. If you're going to do AR starts with only one loadout please put quality weapons on the map, not overloaded power weapons either. Overall I had fun though.

A silly graphic for maps I don't get to play but own:

I wonder if there are any sales or free giveaways planned for DLC? Also what happened to Ravine and Erosion maps? They're never in matchmaking and everyone has those maps already???

Ghazi

Erosion, no, but there are tons of Ravine maps. Simplex is one and pre-Forge Island release it was the most used Forge map.

I guess Forge Island is just a better canvas so people work on there now, can't really blame them though.

Booshka

All these stories of terrible DLC implementation makes me relived that I haven't bought Halo DLC since the Heroic Map pack for Halo 3.

Seems like a waste of money if you can barely play the content you bought. Unless you are running Customs constantly, but that doesn't happen anymore either because most of your friends quit bad Halo.

All these stories of terrible DLC implementation makes me relived that I haven't bought Halo DLC since the Heroic Map pack for Halo 3.

Seems like a waste of money if you can barely play the content you bought. Unless you are running Customs constantly, but that doesn't happen anymore either because most of your friends quit bad Halo.

But mostly because setting up Custom Games has always been a chore. Searchable Customs should've been a thing since Halo 3.

Halo is dad.

There is a petition to keep sprint out of Halo 5. https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/no-sprint-halo-5/1ywxxnsK

Throw perks and AAs into this and it will be massive. Honestly at this stage, me buying an Xbox One depends on Halo. Ill happily keep my 360 until Halo details come out.

All the RAM, policies and all that shit don't bother me at all. But Halo kept me playing on Xbox. Majority of my friends are going PS4, if Halo 5 is more of the same I'll be jumping ship too.

Top Bottom