• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

I love how 4's campaign started out (first two levels or so) but it really tapered off. The feeling when you first wake up on the abandoned ship was dead on, same with the crash landing on Requiem and the warthog exploration. After that it loses the feeling though.
Wait. Warthog exploration. What game did you play?!

TheOddOne

Halo 5: Cryptic Poncho
What if the poncho is a Forerunner artifact? Chief becomes a maniacal super villian when he dons it. UNSC tries to copy Chief so they can stop poncho Chief. So Poncho Chief starts incounters sub failed clones of himself and fights them. Also, all Forerunners were being controlled by corgies who wear
ponchos. DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN.

Also, all Forerunners were being controlled by corgies who wear
ponchos. DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN.
18f7bdgplpqt.gif

Gave up on Halo 4 it will never be fun. Been playing Halo 3 again. It is still amazing. Everyone should boycott Halo 4 and go back to H3 that will show them.

I tried playing 3 again but since my team slayer rank is something like 37 it pairs me up with good players! also there is a huge dead zone in the aiming that I just can't get used too again, and lag.

Think that i've been spoiled by the extra shield effects in the modern games too, like obvious shield popping effects and it becoming brighter before it pops, halo 3 just seems to have an on and off switch only.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Wait. Warthog exploration. What game did you play?!

"Exploration" in visual meaning, not open pathways. Basically meaning the part where you just get to drive and see the scenery. When you are first on Requiem you drive out into that clearing where the world opens up in front of you (with the giant pillars), that's awesome.

"Exploration" in visual meaning, not open pathways. Basically meaning the part where you just get to drive and see the scenery. When you are first on Requiem you drive out into that clearing where the world opens up in front of you (with the giant pillars), that's awesome.
That segment is so short though. You reach the hogs and br's, drive through 4 shortish narrow valleys then hit one final open combat valley with the hog, and then you have to travel on foot.

But yes, it's actually one of the bits I look back more fondly on.

Computer

I tried playing 3 again but since my team slayer rank is something like 37 it pairs me up with good players! also there is a huge dead zone in the aiming that I just can't get used too again, and lag.

Think that i've been spoiled by the extra shield effects in the modern games too, like obvious shield popping effects and it becoming brighter before it pops, halo 3 just seems to have an on and off switch only.

I agree with you on all of the issues Halo 3 has. It is hard to tell if you are landing shots due to no impact animation. If 343 could create a more refined Halo 3 with all the small technical issues fixed Halo 5 would be god like.

Oh man I got halfway through a game of legendary slayer and it was the most boring thing I have ever played.

How could 343 think this is a good idea - do more than 5 people even really like AR starts?

Gui_PT

Oh man I got halfway through a game of legendary slayer and it was the most boring thing I have ever played.

How could 343 think this is a good idea - do more than 5 people even really like AR starts?

Well I've seen 3 or 4 people here who love it and I'm sure over half of the kids in waypoint forums like it too.

Finding a BR + AR starts + first game in list = Perfection

My 4th in Halo 4. It is so hard to not die in this game.

Fuchsdh

Good points mate and so true on the cheating/ranks comment. I still can't shake the idea that ranks were purposely withheld from Halo 4 in leui of X1 sales/retention for multiplayer.
I think that's overly conspiratorial. Occam's razor is that they simply didn't have enough time to complete the game. Considering how much better the game is now than at launch, I don't doubt a lot of the features we are missing and things like Spartan Ops' mission design would have been greatly improved with 6-9 months of extra dev time. *That* timeframe might have something to do with Next Gen X1 though--MS was pissed that Halo 2 missed its original 2003 date because that meant no Halo 3 at launch for the 360 (and seeing how Halo 2 and 3 turned out I think what happened was for the better.)

Madness

Are there even enough players for trueskill to work perfectly anymore?

Yesterday I played after a while, there was less than 11k playing at the time and some playlists barely had like 400 players or less. Can't imagine how well it would work with such a small player base.

TheOddOne

I wonder though, with next-gen opening the possibilities for larger open spaces, that BTB might be vocal point of Halo One's multiplayer. With much of the maps for H4 being built for BTB, that speculation might not be too far fetched.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I wonder though, with next-gen opening the possibilities for larger open spaces, that BTB might be vocal point of Halo One's multiplayer. With much of the maps for H4 being built for BTB, that speculation might not be too far fetched.

I, for one, love BTB so I'd welcome it. Thing is, it shouldn't be the only option. CQC should still exist as a full counterpart to BTB. I'm still not entirely sure how 16 on 16 would feel after 5 games of 8 v 8 max too.

I'm all for a re-imagining of BTB (back to basics + more people, bigger spaces), but the core Halo experience needs to re-appear as well in smaller battle arenas.

Are there even enough players for trueskill to work perfectly anymore?

Yesterday I played after a while, there was less than 11k playing at the time and some playlists barely had like 400 players or less. Can't imagine how well it would work with such a small player base.

I dunno but CSR was all over the place in my games of Global Championship. Like 1s mixed in with 49s while I'm a 25. Wasnt even close basically is what I'm saying.

Trueskill I assume is similar. Speed over quality matches especially when so few players play.

Madness

Since H3, big team battle consistently one of the top gametypes and most played. Wouldn't be farfetched to assume it'll be the focal point for Halo 5.

I don't know if I'd like a bigger boost to players, but 12v12 Halo may soon be a possibility.

Edit: yeah that's what I think, especially if you go in with randoms it runs the gamut on matching at times. I haven't checked csr in months but I should just to see if people have been similar.

Trueskill always pairs me up with idiots in CTF, guys who think that the mode they are in is Team slayer and run around as solo warriors.

It might be me but I thought the beginning of trueskill in halo 2 worked really well, I don't remember many bad matchups for assault or ctf there, I think the core way that halo 4 combat works ruins trueskill because you can be insta killed or killed from people spawning behind you way too often.

Since H3, big team battle consistently one of the top gametypes and most played. Wouldn't be farfetched to assume it'll be the focal point for Halo 5.

I don't know if I'd like a bigger boost to players, but 12v12 Halo may soon be a possibility.

There is no good vanilla 4 v 4 maps in halo 4, if the DLC has any I have no idea never fucking played them in matchmaking.

Most vanilla maps seem to be lob-sided too, there is no symmetrical layouts at all outside of like one forge map.

TheOddOne

I, for one, love BTB so I'd welcome it. Thing is, it shouldn't be the only option. CQC should still exist as a full counterpart to BTB. I'm still not entirely sure how 16 on 16 would feel after 5 games of 8 v 8 max too.

I'm all for a re-imagining of BTB (back to basics + more people, bigger spaces), but the core Halo experience needs to re-appear as well in smaller battle arenas.
I feel that arena type slayer maps should get center attention or at least as much attention as Big Team Battle. Smaller maps have the ability to reduce the chaos that is prevalent in BTB. Slayer modes promote a more strategy based alternative, with side effects like increased attention to team work, urgency and overall flow. However, the slayer mode should be something more akin to Halo 2 and 3.

Tawpgun

Ok, then 8 v 8 will be the new 4 v 4. You might think, no, 343 would never do that they're not THAT out of touch.

But I've thought that about game mechanics, gametypes, playlists etc that 343 has introduced or messed with so nothing is off the table.

Yea they could do that. I wouldnt count that out over at 343.

However I have hope they are reverting back to some good ol 4v4, with less bullshit and more awesome smaller arena maps and ranking systems and 60fps and dedicated servers and omg.

^ That sounds like a game!

Then they can just add a few BTB maps and make an 8v8 playlist so everyones happy.

TCKaos

Hello, new gametype.

Welcome Sharpshooter.

In Sharpshooter, all players get a new weapon every X amount of seconds. There are also two available weapon sequences: Weak-to-Strong and Random. In this video, weapons swap every 15 seconds and the weapon sequence is set to random.

Top Bottom