• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Nebula

So there's only good constructive feedback, high hopes, and taking actions like Domino Theory & Bravo to "Save Halo" in bringing back the golden ages of Halo. Trial and error. Its Business & Politics, Meng.

I had high hopes for Halo 4 and Reach before that, and Halo Reach should have been the trial and error they looked at. It shouldn't take a AAA studio, that was built by Microsoft, 2 games to get it right.

I'm not ever going to deny that some people there were trying to make some great changes, but they all either got poorly implemented or just were downright disappointing.

I should just stop placing Halo 4 in my disc tray. All I end up doing is raging on here which I'm sure people don't want to see. I gave out all my positive feedback a long time ago. It's impossible for me to be positive when it comes to Halo 4.

Booshka

That Virgin gaming partnership sure did pan out for Halo 4 eh? Some high quality unregulated Online Tournaments.

Love that this garbage is blowing up in everyone's face, joke to begin with. I don't care if people cheat, glitch or do sleezy shit to win a poorly run online FFA tournament.

Gamebattles runs online tournaments 10x better than these 343/Virgin gaming tournaments.

Enfinit

lul at people making a big deal out of this. Don't blame him for 343's glitches. Plus it isn't like he wouldn't have been caught when 343 noticed all the DNFs anyway.

It's not a big deal, you say? Let's dive deeper into this.

The Halo 4 Global Championship is the largest competitive tournament in the entire franchise. THOUSANDS of dollars are going to winnings for a community that's dwindling. In an effort to draw players back in, 343 Industries put this whole shebang on, and are dong a wonderful job keeping us updated weekly on what's what.

On a related side note, we all are aware that MLG no longer supports Halo. And seeing that the Virgin Gaming deal didn't quite pan-out to what anyone expected, Halo ended up being a part of a smaller competitive league, called AGL. I'm sure you already know this. AGL is the premiere place for live, competitive Halo. As dumb as that sounds, it doesn't have anything else to compete against, so Halo's premiere competitive home is AGL. And 343i's done a wonderful job supporting AGL, from in-game notifications, to Weekly Bulletin recaps, to various Tweets supporting the stream from 343i's official Twitter and various 343i developers and team members. 343i's virtually (pun intended) done everything they could to promote AGL and competitive Halo.

Now, fast forward to tonight, and here's where we begin to notice that, yes, things are a big deal. Tonight, it was revealed that the owner of the league that sports the premiere destination for competitive Halo, AGL - the same league that 343i's been undoubtedly and wholeheartedly supporting over the past few months - has been notoriously cheating and taking advantage of 343i's online tournament regulations.

That's as if Sundance DiGiovanni took advantage of Gamebattles tournaments so he could win.

Yes, you could argue that it's 343i's fault for not implementing something to prohibit him for doing what he did to begin with, and you could also argue that 343i would've caught him in the end as well. However, that's not what happened. A community member, and known competitive player, caught the guy red-handed. And the guy initially lied about it. Then, eventually, he came clean after threats of his cheating ways were to be released to the public. A community member had caught him before the regulators. After he, and who knows how many others, have been doing it for god knows how long. Keep in mind that this is the owner of the only competitive league for Halo. THE. OWNER.

So, coupled with the pathetic showing of AGL9, the confirmation of more and more competitive Halo players jumping ship to other FPS's, and the corruption of the largest gaming tournament in Halo franchise history, yea, it's kind of a big deal.

But I don't give a shit. Halo's been dead to me for months. It's simply entertaining at this point to watch it begin to implode on itself.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Child. It's like you're trying to get a last word in an argument before running out the door with your fingers in your ears.

If you have yet to ignore me, and are waiting for a reply, I'll say this. I want it to die so someone else can revive it down the line. I may be 25 or even 30 when that happens, but hell I might get to enjoy it again, and maybe the next generation will get to see what Halo 1-3 was all about. I don't see how 343 can bring it back now. If they somehow manage to then I'll be happy to see that. What I've seen them do with Halo 4 tells me that just isn't going to happen.

So you're calling someone else a child on a video game forum, but you may have been 8 when the franchise started AND you're mad because cheating is being shut down fairly and publicly on a large and unusually open online tournament?

Babby plz.

belushy

Banned
Alright, maybe it is a big deal. I just think is lame that he is being publicly roasted for it when I'm sure a lot of people have been doing it, and perhaps even some pros under different names. I just said that because in the end the DNFers would have been caught anyway. 343 looks through the potential winners and would have spotted the DNFs had he been up there for a winning spot. It would have been all good in the end, even if he didn't come clean about it.

Enfinit

cheating is being shut down fairly and publicly on a large and unusually open online tournament?

The fact that it's being shut down fairly and publicly is great. The fact that this sort of cheating came from the owner of AGL, the only competitive league 343i intensely supports, is not great. Also, who knows how may times he, and other people like him, have used these methods of cheating.

It's things like this, where I, the more-than-casual player, don't even want to get involved because I feel like I'd be wasting my time. If I were to compete right now, I'd get blown out of the water by ultra-competitive players who have more time to spend playing Halo than I do. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but isn't the point of having a tournament this large is to incorporate and draw as many different players from as many different gaming backgrounds as possible? You want Halo's popularity and player base to increase, right?

There's so many different possibilities of cheating associated with the Halo 4 Global Championship, from multiple gamertags to the sign-out bug to god knows what, that just makes it entirely disconcerting for me. There's just so much sketchy stuff to deal with that it doesn't seem worth it to involve myself. And I'd think it's safe to assume I'm not the only one that feels that way.

Alright, maybe it is a big deal. I just think is lame that he is being publicly roasted for it when I'm sure a lot of people have been doing it, and perhaps even some pros under different names. I just said that because in the end the DNFers would have been caught anyway. 343 looks through the potential winners and would have spotted the DNFs had he been up there for a winning spot. It would have been all good in the end, even if he didn't come clean about it.
Very true, and I completely agree. I have no doubt that it would have been resolved in the end. However, it's just the way this came about that's concerning.

Booshka

So you're calling someone else a child on a video game forum, but you may have been 8 when the franchise started AND you're mad because cheating is being shut down fairly and publicly on a large and unusually open online tournament?

Babby plz.

You guys are gonna have to utilize NSA tactics to legitimately crown a victor. Checkin IP's for multiple duplicate gamertags and all kind of sketchy shit, for a nonsensical online tournament.

It's like the Terry15 situation from Halo 2 all over again. Online Tournaments are almost always a huge mistake.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Lots of people think they have gotten away with cheating, and have not. This is the other side of making a tourney so easily publicly accessible. The winners will win fair and square and while it sucks to have idiots pollute the public sphere, it's the only way to make it genuinely democratic.

Team tourneys in the future will be less manipulable and more leet. Sucks - but it's worth the work to let Joe Battle Rifle play for once.

IHaveIce

Banned
Damn frankie just gave Nebula the D.

Hey guys could we find a group and do some FFAs on the settings for the tourney I would like to play some Onyx ffa. :)

Hyper? Exwife/matt? Frankie? Anybody?

Enfinit

Lots of people think they have gotten away with cheating, and have not.

How can you ensure that the winners were rewarded 100% fair-and-square? How can myself, the player, feel 100% comfortable knowing that the competition was completely fair, and the players that won, won completely fair? Is there any way to elaborate on the steps taken to ensure cheaters get caught? What methods are being used to ensure they're taken down? There's just so much sketch and unknown factors, man.

Lots of people think they have gotten away with cheating, and have not. This is the other side of making a tourney so easily publicly accessible. The winners will win fair and square and while it sucks to have idiots pollute the public sphere, it's the only way to make it genuinely democratic.

Team tourneys in the future will be less manipulable and more leet. Sucks - but it's worth the work to let Joe Battle Rifle play for once.

As long as automated checks, staffed manual measures and the actual progression through finals is on LAN/event with "umpires" it's fine and workable for what it is. I respect the open nature, event based qualifiers and funnelling down to traditional LAN finals for improved fairness, streaming and anti-cheating etc.

It's great there has been the Joe Battle Rifle tournies like this one and the previous Virgin one. I can't wait to see next gen Halo and the competitive/tournament scene, hopefully there will be a larger cross section of events to support Joe and T2 alike. I hope you [343i] gain the experience, framework and processes to really deliver something special there.

IMO Halo is far and away the best game mechanics for competitive FPS. There will always be cheaters, clearly processes and plans have been in place to deal with them. Hated them in Halo 2 and beyond, not much has changed on that cheating front.

PNut

Banned
And I'd think it's safe to assume I'm not the only one that feels that way.

Well you are. The only other people that care are MM nerds who have no real chance on LAN and still play H4. Of course people are going to cheat on an ONLINE only tourny.

In the end it doesn't matter Pistola or Formal are going to win the prize with other "pro" Halo players rounding out the top spots. Should be fun to watch.

Enfinit

Well you are.

Well that's generous of you to speak for everyone.

I guess my point is, what's the point of the tournament if the only people competing and being rewarded are the ones that are super into playing to begin with. Isn't the point of the tournament to try and attract gamers from every walk of life? What's the incentive for a player who's not an MLG Pro to participate?

Fuck this, I don't even know what I'm saying anymore.

fuck halo hire juicy

mo60

Wow!That is sad.I hope 343i has already been notified about this.Anyway I will be competing in the global championship playlist again.Anyway I wouldn't really worry about the cheaters. They will get obliterated if they make it to the finals by the real pros.

Damn frankie just gave Nebula the D.

Hey guys could we find a group and do some FFAs on the settings for the tourney I would like to play some Onyx ffa. :)

Hyper? Exwife/matt? Frankie? Anybody?
Maybe tomorrow? I'll be on around 9 PM your time.
I can't I'm fat and in bed.

Hey, me too! Checking forums in between chapters of A Storm of Swords because I can only take so much awesome at a time.

How can you ensure that the winners were rewarded 100% fair-and-square? How can myself, the player, feel 100% comfortable knowing that the competition was completely fair, and the players that won, won completely fair? Is there any way to elaborate on the steps taken to ensure cheaters get caught? What methods are being used to ensure they're taken down? There's just so much sketch and unknown factors, man.

1. No game online is "fair", latency and P2P makes sure of that even further.

2. No real life sport escapes cheating either, it's mostly a reactive process over a proactive one. At least there are elements of pro-activity in reducing or removing cheaters before the GC leaderboards are revealed and again at LAN based finals.

3. I wouldn't expect methods to be disclosed mate, that just gives cheaters more to work with.

Well you are. The only other people that care are MM nerds who have no real chance on LAN and still play H4. Of course people are going to cheat on an ONLINE only tourny.

In the end it doesn't matter Pistola or Formal are going to win the prize with other "pro" Halo players rounding out the top spots. Should be fun to watch.

It would be awesome to let a cheater slip through and label their stream with "cheater" on it so we can watch the pros wipe the floor with them, nothing wrong with a public-spectacle-make-an-example-out-of-them every now and again.

Enfinit

1. No game online is "fair", latency and P2P makes sure of that even further.

2. No real life sport escapes cheating either, it's mostly a reactive process over a proactive one. At least there are elements of pro-activity in reducing or removing cheaters before the GC leaderboards are revealed and again at LAN based finals.

3. I wouldn't expect methods to be disclosed mate, that just gives cheaters more to work with.
I guess.

PNut

Banned
Well that's generous of you to speak for everyone.

Don't get me wrong, I do like that you're passionate about the issue. But you can't be surprised people wouldn't find a way to cheat on an ONLINE tourny.

The Virgin Gaming deal with Halo was set to fail before it even started. Real competitive Halo only works at LAN events. They shoulda took that 500K and spread it out on LAN events. Imagine the teams that would of come back. It would of been epic.

Enfinit

They shoulda took that 500K and spread it out on LAN events. Imagine the teams that would of come back. It would of been epic.

They should take that money and invest it into making Halo 5 the best possible game it can be. And for juice's salary when they hire him.

Don't get me wrong, I do like that you're passionate about the issue. But you can't be surprised people wouldn't find a way to cheat on an ONLINE tourny.

The Virgin Gaming deal with Halo was set to fail before it even started. Real competitive Halo only works at LAN events. They shoulda took that 500K and spread it out on LAN events. Imagine the teams that would of come back. It would of been epic.

IMO 343i are building for online and LAN globally with X1. All this now, regarding Halo 4, is experience in delivering that. Could be talking out of my ass though :)

Madness

Yup pick a few large cities based on regions, spread the word through way point and in game. Halo 4 Championship qualifying in like Seattle, Los Angeles, Houston, Nashville, Denver, Miami, New York, Chicago, etc.

You show up for with your teams. Top like 4 teams from each city then qualify for larger tournament. Winning the early tournaments gives you some cash and entry to the next tournament, hotel, airfare whatever.

Have final large tournament where top teams come, stream that shit etc.

Madness

stinkletoes pls

it's german not latin

Is Kynan the reason all the multiplayer maps are Forerunner sites with UNSC research facilities and rocks on them?

Certain Affinity are the ones who made a lot of the maps. Kynan designed them I believe. Who's to know exactly who did what. But he did design maps like Haven and gave us Forge Island. I'm just curious who will take over his role at 343, or whether they'll hire someone new etc.

The power of the mods at his fingertips. We don't really know who Stinkles is, we should 'tread lightly' :)

Frankie = Varys, post-treadmill

500k?! They should take one percent of that and pay the coffee boy to do a real nice job on updating Halo 3.

I understand your feelings about the direction that this game has taken and is possibly heading.

But being Cynical about it won't help anyone.

Take into account that people like Bravo wanted how Halo was meant to be but since he's been hired by 343 he's done so much that's possible to make THIS game better than when it was released...

So there's only good constructive feedback, high hopes, and taking actions like Domino Theory & Bravo to "Save Halo" in bringing back the golden ages of Halo. Trial and error. Its Business & Politics, Meng.

Believe in BigShow.

At this point, they should just use 4 as a beta for 5. Try things out to see what works, what doesnt and use that feedback for 5.

The problem i have is that 343 seem to be understaffed. It takes too long to get anything done in this game, which is why most people haven't looked back. If you take that long to do a "weapons tuning", then my friends, you've lost track with reality.

There are too many good games out there now. People aren't just gonna wait 7-8 months for one update. They move onto other shit. Im a big fan so ill play it till 5, but man, it fucking sad to log in and see 200-1000 people in a playlist. So sad.

FyreWulff

So, petetheduck got on his Xbox and repopulated his file share in time for Forge With Pete.

Forge With Pete goes up on Waypoint, and his file share blanks again, so nobody can download the stuff shown in the video..

Ghazi

Son of a bish?

image.php

At this point, they should just use 4 as a beta for 5. Try things out to see what works, what doesnt and use that feedback for 5.

The problem i have is that 343 seem to be understaffed. It takes too long to get anything done in this game, which is why most people haven't looked back. If you take that long to do a "weapons tuning", then my friends, you've lost track with reality.

There are too many good games out there now. People aren't just gonna wait 7-8 months for one update. They move onto other shit. Im a big fan so ill play it till 5, but man, it fucking sad to log in and see 200-1000 people in a playlist. So sad.
Totally agree
I think about the days of Halo 2 online
The Map Pack (OmfgYuss)

Then Halo 3, Map Dlcs.

Untll it started with Reach and everything began going down hill BUT that game Still was Fun to play.

We All Had High Hopes for Halo 4. And then Mlg dropped Halo, Missing Content, Etc. Etc. Etc. Really thinking about it all is Sad. Almost the end of an era.

But like you've said Halo 4 is their Beta feedback and Hopefully they'll take more risks to Make Halo and not brake it for 5.

The sad thing is that due to modders we know that the tools are all there in halo 4 to do a good job fixing the shit they made, they can enable descoping, they can increase base movement speed (which they kind of already did) among other things and make halo 4 more like the halo 2-3 we all enjoyed without armour perks and drop pods taking away skill and handing players random power weapons.

When the big balance update hit a few months back I was happy for the time but now I personally think they went a little too deep with making all the weapons kill faster, the AR was fine to begin with, the BR only looked weak because the DMR was too good, so instead of nerfing the DMR they buff every other weapon including the SAW... it's all terrible cod logic and 343i seem to be stuck in that mind set.

The sad thing is that due to modders we know that the tools are all there in halo 4 to do a good job fixing the shit they made, they can enable descoping, they can increase base movement speed (which they kind of already did) among other things and make halo 4 more like the halo 2-3 we all enjoyed without armour perks and drop pods taking away skill and handing players random power weapons.

When the big balance update hit a few months back I was happy for the time but now I personally think they went a little too deep with making all the weapons kill faster, the AR was fine to begin with, the BR only looked weak because the DMR was too good, so instead of nerfing the DMR they buff every other weapon including the SAW... it's all terrible cod logic and 343i seem to be stuck in that mind set.

The problem isn't that these weapons kill too fast, it's that they're too easy to kill with. The minimum and average kill times are too close, creating a much smaller skill gap.

Top Bottom