• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

TCKaos

The problem isn't that these weapons kill too fast, it's that they're too easy to kill with. The minimum and average kill times are too close, creating a much smaller skill gap.

With the Pistol you could get caught off guard and if your attacker was a worse shot than you you had a pretty decent chance of out shooting him despite the fact that he had the jump on you. With the minimum and average kill times being as close as they are, this translates in to mutuals more often than not. I've gotten more mutual BR/DMR kills in 4 than I have in any other game by a long shot.

Then you've also got sprint not being as punishable as it should be. Sprint is punishable in Battlefield and Call of Duty because of how incredibly fast the kill times are - one bad move and you're dead before you can raise your weapon to return fire. In Halo the kill times are long enough that it's much easier to just sprint away from battle. The issue is that increasing kill times with such a smaller skill gap and with so many power weapons available everywhere all the time is that whoever shoots first wins, and that's not Halo. The proper fix would be to nerf or remove sprint.

But it's sort of like 343 initially realized that sprint needed to be nerfed, buffed every weapon instead of nerfing the DMR or Sprint, and are now performing a 180 by releasing that new perk with the Championship Bundle that makes it so that you're the hulk and bullets do nothing to your sprint.

With the Pistol you could get caught off guard and if your attacker was a worse shot than you you had a pretty decent chance of out shooting him despite the fact that he had the jump on you.

This is an excellent point which stems into another problem of later Halo games: a player's natural instinct to run from a fight increases.

Too many times someone would get shot once and just avoid a fight. Now we have things like AA's and Sprint, so what's the incentive to confront someone who shot you first when the game provides you with many options to avoid the main thing in a shooter: the shooting? As a result, terrible player habits are formed over the course of several installments because this problem only got worse after Halo 1, so now we're seeing that after years of this constant refusal to make Halo POWERFUL again that fans aren't putting up with this crap.

This is an excellent point which stems into another problem of later Halo games: a player's natural instinct to run from a fight increases.

Too many times someone would get shot once and just avoid a fight. Now we have things like AA's and Sprint, so what's the incentive to confront someone who shot you first when the game provides you with many options to avoid the main thing in a shooter: the shooting? As a result, terrible player habits are formed over the course of several installments because this problem only got worse after Halo 1, so now we're seeing that after years of this constant refusal to make Halo POWERFUL again that fans aren't putting up with this crap.

I run away from people because I'm a pussy.

Also, totally don't quote me. There's absolutely nothing to see. I swear. Nothing. Whatsoever...

Ghazi

Oh my god yes, Palmer used to be an ODST. THE CHANCES OF AN ODSP GAME JUST GOT A BIT HIGHER!!!!!!!

995979_529321517139069_1335863726_n.png

Is that a change? New perks available immediately instead of being DLC exclusive for a couple of weeks?

edit: oh the Sprint-nullifier is still DLC exclusive

I'm looking forward to the faster starting your shield recharging. Now I just want to see these stacked in a playlist setting like I keep mentioning e.g. recharge+resistor+dexterity+blah+blah.

That would be one fast paced Halo game but so very beast, I just want that in CTF now.

PNut

Banned
Bravo, the guy that recently got a job at 343 said this.....
We launched the playlist with AR start only to optimize pacing / map movement. While Halo: CE and Halo 3 both featured "AR + Pistol" starts, they both offered VERY different gameplay - in the former, you nearly always switched weapons when you respawned due to the pistol's versatility. In the latter, the pistol was a much less formidable sidearm, creating very different balance dynamics, and switching to the pistol was much less rare to say the least. However, in Halo 4, the 6 shot Pistol lies somewhere between these two weapons in terms of usefulness, lethality, etc. As a result, we have decided not to tune the pistol differently in this game type, and rather focus on a basic experience in which the starting weapon is viable as a close to mid-range weapon, and players must move and fight over the map and the weapons that are scattered throughout. Hope this clears things up a bit - adding a secondary can greatly change the flow of the map and gameplay.

In response to community feedback about having a precision option, or a "way to fight back," we're premiering BR/AR starts in the Global Championship next week. Based on the feedback we receive, we may implement the game type into the Legendary Slayer (4v4) playlist.

Thanks again, glad you're enjoying Legendary Slayer, and we hope you give Legendary Rumble BR a shot - let us know what you think!

RIP

TCKaos

Bravo, the guy that recently got a job at 343 said this.....

RIP

I went to look at the quote, but you seem to be wanting to show me a Kirby thread.

But yeah, shit is bananas. The issue lies here:

...starting weapon is viable as a close to mid-range weapon, and players must move and fight over the map and the weapons that are scattered throughout...

See, what this essentially says is that "We gave players a short-mid range weapon with no alternative off spawn while littering the maps almost exclusively with weapons that are medium to long range, meaning that if your team fails to secure those weapons you're going to get your shit pushed in because you'll have virtually no means of engaging the enemy team on even ground. We recognize that in every other game, even in this one, that giving the player a precision utility weapon mitigates this helplessness while continuing to give players an incentive to move over the map and secure other weapons, but we've decided against it for reasons we ourselves cannot fathom."

Also there's a decent chance that AR starts is yet another band-aid for piss poor map design. Maybe 343 thinks the maps are designed so poorly that giving players decent starting weapons would inhibit movement in some way.

I went to look at the quote, but you seem to be wanting to show me a Kirby thread.

But yeah, shit is bananas. The issue lies here:

See, what this essentially says is that "We gave players a short-mid range weapon with no alternative off spawn while littering the maps almost exclusively with weapons that are medium to long range, meaning that if your team fails to secure those weapons you're going to get your shit pushed in because you'll have virtually no means of engaging the enemy team on even ground. We recognize that in every other game, even in this one, that giving the player a precision utility weapon mitigates this helplessness while continuing to give players an incentive to move over the map and secure other weapons, but we've decided against it for reasons we ourselves cannot fathom."

Also there's a decent chance that AR starts is yet another band-aid for piss poor map design. Maybe 343 thinks the maps are designed so poorly that giving players decent starting weapons would inhibit movement in some way.

Relax it has already been said and I agree it's to drive players to BR/precision starts of the Global Championship playlist(s). I'm sure after the tourney is over precision starts will proliferate other playlists such as Legendary.

Nebula

Such return.

Rumble Pit playlist will return as the premiere FFA offering. Based on community feedback, we’ve also made some changes. Rumble Pit will have a total of 15 new voting options including new Slayer game types, new objective game types (King of the Hill and Oddball) and Regicide, which is being consolidated and will now exclusively be available in the Rumble Pit playlist.

I always liked Rumble Pit/FFA. Still hate that they're lumping in Regicide with it again though.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I shouldn't do better than ANYONE in this game. LIke. Ever. Then again I may be being presumptuous. Its entirely possible that everyone playing H4 at this point is just randomly jumping online every few months for one game then discovering they could be doing just about anything else.

Nebula

I shouldn't do better than ANYONE in this game. LIke. Ever. Then again I may be being presumptuous. Its entirely possible that everyone playing H4 at this point is just randomly jumping online every few months for one game then discovering they could be doing just about anything else.

You just summed up my Halo 4 experience.

Enfinit

TrueSkill™

The sad thing is that due to modders we know that the tools are all there in halo 4 to do a good job fixing the shit they made, they can enable descoping, they can increase base movement speed (which they kind of already did) among other things and make halo 4 more like the halo 2-3 we all enjoyed without armour perks and drop pods taking away skill and handing players random power weapons.

When the big balance update hit a few months back I was happy for the time but now I personally think they went a little too deep with making all the weapons kill faster, the AR was fine to begin with, the BR only looked weak because the DMR was too good, so instead of nerfing the DMR they buff every other weapon including the SAW... it's all terrible cod logic and 343i seem to be stuck in that mind set.

I dont agree with that. The weapons tune was very needed. Weak guns aren't fun to play with at all. If anything, they might be too easy to use. But too strong, hell no. If they go weaker then this in the next game, im quitting Halo plain and simple.

Peaked at 25k population yesterday. How low does it have to go for 343 to snap out of their delusional dream world and admit they made a shit game?

TheOddOne

Peaked at 25k population yesterday. How low does it have to go for 343 to snap out of their delusional dream world and admit they made a shit game?
This is the dumbest thing I've read all day, why would they even admit that? Just think, nobody is going to badmouth their own game.

Is anyone getting the Champions Bundle? On one hand I really dont want to support it, on the other hand I love the Pit.

It is so frustrating to go into Infinity and never see DLC maps. I don't know why I see Forge maps in there instead of Skyline etc. This will most likely be the last maps though so the dedicated playlist will mean I will actually get to play on it.

When did the UNSC ships get so bland? Thing looks like a flying rectangle.

Comics quality sucks these days.

And i think they retconed some of the ships to be more rectangular.

Is anyone getting the Champions Bundle? On one hand I really dont want to support it, on the other hand I love the Pit.

It is so frustrating to go into Infinity and never see DLC maps. I don't know why I see Forge maps in there instead of Skyline etc. This will most likely be the last maps though so the dedicated playlist will mean I will actually get to play on it.

I will, this is my last time supporting Halo.

Fuchsdh

Getting the Bundle and going to burn through the Achievements with a HBO group to get them out of the way. Then I can enjoy my steampunk weapons in peace.

Really looking forward to trying out Richochet, it seems similar to Grifball but appeals to me more due to its closer nature to the regular game.

IHaveIce

Banned

I mostly play when I'm drunk... like in 20 minutes

Booshka

Thanks for the info. I'm going to do the previously unthinkable and trade in a Halo game. :-/

I really blew it by not trading in Halo 4 months ago, should have traded it for a Steam card then used that on the Steam spring/summer sale. Could have got like 3-5 good games for yet another bad Halo. Now it's worth like 5 bucks.

Just realized I didn't get any of h4 dlc. Used that buy n try crap n that was it. Game is so bad if I didn't get the dlc.
I could buy Dlc for Halo 4 but they just don't appeal enough to me, honestly. I've got all the Dlc in past Halos but not this time for Halo Wars & Halo 4.

Top Bottom