• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge |OT| Plan, Build, Share

Homeboyd

Yeah I was hoping the update might have unfucked the hogs, but it didn't.

This might be a bit presumptuous of me, but if I take a clip and tweet for halp to Tom French, think he'd look at it?
I don't think it's presumptuous. He gets a lot of tweets, so it's just a matter of if he sees it and has time to respond... but he's also shown he tries to help and respond to people as much as he can. Seems like a good dude. Worth a shot.

nillapuddin

I don't think it's presumptuous. He gets a lot of tweets, so it's just a matter of if he sees it and has time to respond... but he's also shown he tries to help and respond to people as much as he can. Seems like a good dude. Worth a shot.

Yeah it does seem that way, tonight I'll probably give it a shot

nillapuddin

If anyone has any maps you'd like me to queue up for tonight, please post them - I'll be doing a long stream this evening. :)

nillapuddin626

CenturionOmegaI

Everything in our bookmarks, all stuff made by us.

just incase my rats nest "turmoil" isn't in bookmarks, you have my permission to creep my files, lol
Edit:
Heyooo

Centurion map got a showcase vid on yt by fps gamer

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uEhNXjXsrow

Check it out! Also, leave him/me/us feedback there, here or on forgehub please!

nillapuddin

Good News:
I moved the Warthogs*

Bad News:
Still cant select them

Other Bad News:
I have 3 ghosts spawning on the ocean floor constantly blowing up

* I had an idea, I set up a teleporter for players, so that if they got into the warthog through the floor, they would get teleported back up. But it wouldnt work, then I set it to vehicle, and it took the entire, immobile, unselectable warthog with driver up top! So I just teleported them off the map

Good News:
I moved the Warthogs*

Bad News:
Still cant select them

Other Bad News:
I have 3 ghosts spawning on the ocean floor constantly blowing up

* I had an idea, I set up a teleporter for players, so that if they got into the warthog through the floor, they would get teleported back up. But it wouldnt work, then I set it to vehicle, and it took the entire, immobile, unselectable warthog with driver up top! So I just teleported them off the map

At least your issues may eventually have solutions. I'm pretty sure the nature of the way object rotations work means my dreams of having massive setpieces working on scripted rotations will never work, even with the bugs associated with groups fixed. RIP mass driver #3

JDHarbs

Some work-in-progress screens of Condemned.

Rooms are each about 90% complete. Just need to add a few things/fix some holes. Then make 'em purdy.

ZYWpCKn.png

vL5Nf7t.png

63qqb2R.png

sXDSER2.png

4sIvprh.png

6OHIrzU.png

Soon™

So, I think I figured out part of my problem with my entire session "freezing in time" thanks to me dividing by zero with scripts: while it may come as a surprise to some of you, the engine doesn't like having to process weird shit that may be experiencing multiple different parameters at once in addition to sustaining damage, for example a shield wall scripted to move around in addition to every other script running at once and getting shot at. I've rectified it by switching out my explosive triggers for standard terminals and despawning my mobile shields when the main switches are triggered, and based on stress-testing it hopefully won't have the same problems anymore.

nillapuddin

alright guys, turns out Im going to be waayyy too busy this weekend to do all the halo things I want :/

that said...

sG2DOz0h.png

'Longshore' is go.

I am re-doing the crates and extendibridge right now, but spawns, gametype support, weapons, are all 100%

please if you can give it a go this weekend and give me some feedback

seriously

plz

for the love of god

someone, say something.

i know you mother fuckers are playing my maps, 20 people add me a day!

alright guys, turns out Im going to be waayyy too busy this weekend to do all the halo things I want :/

that said...

sG2DOz0h.png

'Longshore' is go.

I am re-doing the crates and extendibridge right now, but spawns, gametype support, weapons, are all 100%

seriously

plz

for the love of god

someone, say something.

I'll add you and look at it. Would love to. Hopefully tomorrow. =)

NOKYARD

So, I think I figured out part of my problem with my entire session "freezing in time" thanks to me dividing by zero with scripts: while it may come as a surprise to some of you, the engine doesn't like having to process weird shit that may be experiencing multiple different parameters at once in addition to sustaining damage, for example a shield wall scripted to move around in addition to every other script running at once and getting shot at. I've rectified it by switching out my explosive triggers for standard terminals and despawning my mobile shields when the main switches are triggered, and based on stress-testing it hopefully won't have the same problems anymore.

Yes, you have to keep your scripts clean and consistent. I tried forging the pressure plate script and it flipped all the breakers in my house off every time i so much as looked at it.

that said...

sG2DOz0h.png

'Longshore' is go.

seriously

plz

for the love of god

someone, say something.

Perfect. If my internet is fixed tomorrow i can look it over when i resume my stream.

that said...

sG2DOz0h.png

'Longshore' is go.

seriously

plz

for the love of god

someone, say something.

Great stuff Nilla. Didn't get a chance to test much yesterday, everyone was watching X games!

Alright, well barring additional balance fixes and feedback, Nightingale should be close to complete. It's fully playable, done visually, etc. Mainly a matter of stress-testing with multiple players at this point. Feedback, streaming, playthroughs, etc. would all be appreciated this weekend.

nillapuddin

Rooms are each about 90% complete. Just need to add a few things/fix some holes. Then make 'em purdy.

Soon™

So mad I'm busy this weekend. If not I would crash your party and we could have it finished in a few hours!! Looks great so far

(god damn I love build out phase)

Perfect. If my internet is fixed tomorrow i can look it over when i resume my stream.

Good luck with fixing the net!

Just realized (as I'm driving to a jobsite, and typing this) I forgot zones (spawns and names) woops!

Mostly just interested in getting others thoughts on readability, weapons, etc

Rats Nest = "Turmoil" now, it's a 100% completed map at this point, but I'll call it beta since it hasn't been tested hard

Great stuff Nilla. Didn't get a chance to test much yesterday, everyone was watching X games!

Thanks Sik, and no worries mate. Just trying to make sure I keep the supply up for the demand!

Alright, well barring additional balance fixes and feedback, Nightingale should be close to complete. It's fully playable, done visually, etc. Mainly a matter of stress-testing with multiple players at this point. Feedback, streaming, playthroughs, etc. would all be appreciated this weekend.

I'm going to make a concerted effort to do all of that for ya if I can find a few minutes Sub. You're clearly putting it some great effort

Domain - Map Showcase

I think doing these map showcases is a great way to get a map noticed. If anyone would like to jump into a party with me and walkthrough their maps and talk about what they chose and why, I can do the rest.

Rendering another one for The Archive now. :)

nillapuddin

Domain - Map Showcase

I think doing these map showcases is a great way to get a map noticed. If anyone would like to jump into a party with me and walkthrough their maps and talk about what they chose and why, I can do the rest.

I would love that format. I wont reject someone if they want to feature my map, but it felt weird listening to fps gamer talk about centurion and I's map without cent being in the conversation.

I would gladly host you on any (or all if you really want the content lol) of my maps and I would LOVE to talk about the design process for scale, piece usage and aesthetics.

(okay, I'm on my jobsite now, I'll stop pestering every one)

Have a nice Saturday

I would love that format. I wont reject someone if they want to feature my map, but it felt weird listening to fps gamer talk about centurion and I's map without cent being in the conversation.

I would gladly host you on any (or all if you really want the content lol) of my maps and I would LOVE to talk about the design process for scale, piece usage and aesthetics.

(okay, I'm on my jobsite now, I'll stop pestering every one)

Have a nice Saturday

Happy to set some up if you've got time later today dude. We can do a couple.

This looks like a great CTF map. Would like this in matchmaking, though I say that about a lot of maps. :p

Ta muchly!

I've done another one - The Archive. My first asymmetrical map.

If anyone has any feedback, good or bad, please say. Tear it apart, I can take it! :)

NOKYARD

Good luck with fixing the net!

The cable company sent a tech out who found two problems. The cable buried in our front yard had a split casing, and there is a serious fault somewhere between our neighborhood node and the main server. He spliced a temporary line (ground is frozen) to the neighborhood node, which happened to be on our front lawn, but the big problem will not be fixed until Monday.

If it were not for me losing packets streaming and running QoS tests they would have never bothered testing the node.

More packet loss than a drug dealer running from the cops by NOKYARD, on Flickr

More jitter than a 12 espresso a day habit by NOKYARD, on Flickr

The Kree

Banned

that said...

sG2DOz0h.png

'Longshore' is go.

seriously

plz

for the love of god

someone, say something.

This looks really good just from the picture. Seems like you got the scaling pretty close.

Domain - Map Showcase

Happy to set some up if you've got time later today dude. We can do a couple.

Ta muchly!

I've done another one - The Archive. My first asymmetrical map.

If anyone has any feedback, good or bad, please say. Tear it apart, I can take it! :)

You've got an amazing knack for aesthetics. The little sand dunes up against the steps and walls on Domain are a really nice touch that makes the spaces feel a little more real. Without playing though, I get the feeling some of the sight lines might be a little long on Archive where there are a couple of big rooms with no cover to dance around, it might leave players trying to potshot from doorways too often.

RoKKeR

Soon™

Looks great. All of the stuff in here is super impressive.

Played some Halo 3 style customs yesterday on a few H3 maps and it was glorious. Need a better way to share all of this...

I completely restarted and I've been chipping away at it for a while. It's not geometry complete and I still have to figure out details for most areas.
Ufg7v2d.png

w7FAty8.png

Ou18KZq.png

TZJjn36.png

qj2khZw.png

3ALYyEO.png

Pic from the old version I scrapped.
qFD4lgV.png

I'm so grateful to 343 for this iteration of Forge. It's so easy to have an idea and before you know it the bones of a map in place. The lighting system leaves a little to be desired though. Building something on Glacier, and random pieces are just going black for no reason. :(

I keep running into object budget issues lol =(

Also, I agree Sik. Forge team did an incredible job.

I started a new map today on Glacier and it amazed me how quickly I've been able to bring the design I drew up on paper to life. Lighting has been an issue as the pieces I've used play up a Lot but good lord it looks good. Best I've done so far.

NOKYARD

Hey Nok, does this video help you at all?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsHcGyOQjtA&feature=share

I know last time we had some problems problems problemss

Not really. I used that setup and everyone heard their own delayed voices in their headsets. You are also restricted to being in a party with your dummy account so joining other parties cut off the audio. Most of my other attempts at getting all game sounds were done using extremely frugal setups like Y-splitters and other assorted jiggery and pokery, with each method having their own annoying drawbacks.

My show is more about talking to forgers so I wanted to be sure their words were heard with the highest quality possible. I also wanted to NOT have to juggle adapters, wires and splitters with each possible configuration (XBL, Skype, recording voice overs).

I did my research and purchased an Alto Professional Grade ZMX862 6-channel, 2-bus mixer from the local guitar shop so i could have full control over all aspects of the audio.

ZMX862 by NOKYARD, on Flickrr

- Audio-Technica mic goes in channel 1.
- I receive game sounds using a toslink/rca converter (channel 3), or from the XBL - Headphone Adapter (channel 4), or both depending on the circumstance.
- The second bus is used as an Aux out which sends my voice directly to the XBL Headphone Adapter so you hear only my voice through XBL.
- The CTRL Room out goes to my comp sound card (no need to buy a USB mixer) as an input for Skype etc. If i configure it correctly i can talk to people on XBL and Skype at the same time.
- Main Out goes to the audio breakout adapter of my Elgato CC. This is ideal because all audio is in sync when it gets to the CC and you only need to make one delay adjustment in OBS to be perfectly in sync with the video stream.

Top Bottom