• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge |OT| Plan, Build, Share

nillapuddin

Not really. I used that setup and everyone heard their own delayed voices in their headsets. You are also restricted to being in a party with your dummy account so joining other parties cut off the audio. Most of my other attempts at getting all game sounds were done using extremely frugal setups like Y-splitters and other assorted jiggery and pokery, with each method having their own annoying drawbacks.

My show is more about talking to forgers so I wanted to be sure their words were heard with the highest quality possible. I also wanted to NOT have to juggle adapters, wires and splitters with each possible configuration (XBL, Skype, recording voice overs).

I did my research and purchased an Alto Professional Grade ZMX862 6-channel, 2-bus mixer from the local guitar shop so i could have full control over all aspects of the audio.

ZMX862 by NOKYARD, on Flickrr

- Audio-Technica mic goes in channel 1.
- I receive game sounds using a toslink/rca converter (channel 3), or from the XBL - Headphone Adapter (channel 4), or both depending on the circumstance.
- The second bus is used as an Aux out which sends my voice directly to the XBL Headphone Adapter so you hear only my voice through XBL.
- The CTRL Room out goes to my comp sound card (no need to buy a USB mixer) as an input for Skype etc. If i configure it correctly i can talk to people on XBL and Skype at the same time.
- Main Out goes to the audio breakout adapter of my Elgato CC. This is ideal because all audio is in sync when it gets to the CC and you only need to make one delay adjustment in OBS to be perfectly in sync with the video stream.

fuFCp7o.gif

well I look forward to seeing you back online and better than ever soon!

i know the guy is coming tomorrow, fingers crossed

Madness

Are Forge textures still a thing? I mean I don't expect graphically intensive things coming as the studio is probably now focused solely on sustain and also Halo 6, but I mean some plan to allow for better textured pieces, so that maps and buildings don't look all smooth and shiny.

Raide

Are Forge textures still a thing? I mean I don't expect graphically intensive things coming as the studio is probably now focused solely on sustain and also Halo 6, but I mean some plan to allow for better textured pieces, so that maps and buildings don't look all smooth and shiny.

It would probably take a load of work but being able to pick an object and then cycle its texture type would be great. I sometimes miss those concrete blocks. :D Choosing weathered/rusty etc alongside nice and clean would be nice.

nillapuddin

When new gametypes come out, all these maps at object count are screwed. This makes me sad.

Spawns and flags didn't use to count towards the limit did they? Shame.

When new gametypes come out, all these maps at object count are screwed. This makes me sad.

Spawns and flags didn't use to count towards the limit did they? Shame.

what??

That means my map is most likely ruined =/

edit: I'll have to seriously rethink what kind of pieces I use.

nillapuddin

How the heck will we survive using only 4 game mode labels, for that matter?

not a question I have an answer to

what??

That means my map is most likely ruined =/

edit: I'll have to seriously rethink what kind of pieces I use.

I know, Think about it, for Assault you need atleast 3, Ricochet can share some but will need seperate goals, any gametype after that its just compounding

So this is super irritating at the moment.

I didn't want to show this map off yet, as it's nowhere near finished, but I'm super pleased with it (the interior is something really special (IMO) and I can't wait to finish the built out.

But yeah - baked lighting. Most of the time, super well behaved and awesome.

Before generating lighting:

After generating lighting:

It's even worse on the interior, with huge black objects in places where everything is lit normally elsewhere. Apparently rings are a known bug lighting wise.

So now I'm having to place invisible lights to try and counteract the bug, but as soon as you place too many, they start becoming less effective for some reason, and don't generate until you approach. Thankfully, the map is relatively small (as you can see from the budget meter) and main geometry is complete. Everything else that needs doing is literally just pretty stuff. Hopefully I'll be able to juggle it to get it into a workable state.

Really hope a fix is forthcoming with the February update.

So this is super irritating at the moment.

I didn't want to show this map off yet, as it's nowhere near finished, but I'm super pleased with it (the interior is something really special (IMO) and I can't wait to finish the built out.

But yeah - baked lighting. Most of the time, super well behaved and awesome.

Before generating lighting:

After generating lighting:

It's even worse on the interior, with huge black objects in places where everything is lit normally elsewhere. Apparently rings are a known bug lighting wise.

So now I'm having to place invisible lights to try and counteract the bug, but as soon as you place too many, they start becoming less effective for some reason, and don't generate until you approach. Thankfully, the map is relatively small (as you can see from the budget meter) and main geometry is complete. Everything else that needs doing is literally just pretty stuff. Hopefully I'll be able to juggle it to get it into a workable state.

Really hope a fix is forthcoming with the February update.

Dude I have similar problems bro. Random objects are too bright or too dark and some light is flickering on and off in some interiors where it shouldn't exist. My map is very pretty otherwise, but it's preventing me from wanting to show it.

I also have a weird forge object loading problem where if you spin around quickly or reload you can see the objects flicker in and out of existence.

Karl2177

When you say "select all lights", does that include the map's "natural" lighting or just the lighting manually placed in the map?
Manually. If it still persists, change your time of day or whatever it's called. And rerender. Then switch back to your intended time of day and rerender again.

jem0208

I did a quick walk/fly through of my map which I've been working on. I think it's mostly geometry complete, obviously subject to change from play testing. The central area is the spot I'm least confident about.

I've thrown some weapons down without a massive amount of thought, was hoping for some suggestions on that.

I've also yet to do spawns and I'm still trying to figure out what aesthetic I'm going for.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Il MeanBean lI/video/14444900

5coUx1C.jpg

jem0208

Boned

[edit] I plan to stream to see if the cable company fixed my connection. Anyone want to show off their builds or WiP?

http://www.twitch.tv/nokyard

If you have time could you take a look at mine?

I have no idea if it's any good (feel free to rip it to shreds if it's bad...), just wanted to see if I could make an arena style map. Spawns, weapons and aesthetics aren' really final...

My GT is iL meanbean Li and the map is called Fracture (just temporary...)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I did a quick walk/fly through of my map which I've been working on. I think it's mostly geometry complete, obviously subject to change from play testing. The central area is the spot I'm least confident about.

I've thrown some weapons down without a massive amount of thought, was hoping for some suggestions on that.

I've also yet to do spawns and I'm still trying to figure out what aesthetic I'm going for.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Il MeanBean lI/video/14444900

5coUx1C.jpg

I like certain aspects of the map, but it "feels" a bit too cramped with inconsistent widths on the walkways.

When looking at it I felt that if you reduced the height of the walls jutting upward it would help as well. Keeping your middle area taller than everything else around could help draw the eye to a central location.

Just my immediate impressions. Keep at it. I'd even be willing to run some 1v1's on it with you to get a feel for combat on it.

really reminds me of boardwalk visually. looks nice

i really dont like the B&W filter but the map continues to look great and original

There's actually no black and white filter on the map. I have received a lot of comments against the grayscale lighting, however, it's not something I intend to make major changes to. The lighting will be enhanced as the map gets polished up, but i've found any significant color additions to be distracting.

Frederik

Banned
There's actually no black and white filter on the map. I have received a lot of comments against the grayscale lighting, however, it's not something I intend to make major changes to. The lighting will be enhanced as the map gets polished up, but i've found any significant color additions to be distracting.
I think the biggest issue is that the sky is basically the same color as the rest of your map. It causes everything to kind of blend together. I feel like the sunlight does very little to make certain areas stand out or feel different because of it. The older version had to blue to contrast the green and grey, but this version doesn't have something like that.

That said; I think you could do some interesting stuff with the black and white look you have right now if you play around with colored lights some more. Even some subtle colored lights could add a lot without being too much.

I think the biggest issue is that the sky is basically the same color as the rest of your map. It causes everything to kind of blend together. I feel like the sunlight does very little to make certain areas stand out or feel different because of it. The older version had to blue to contrast the green and grey, but this version doesn't have something like that.

That said; I think you could do some interesting stuff with the black and white look you have right now if you play around with colored lights some more. Even some subtle colored lights could add a lot without being too much.

It's a valid observation. I'll be improving the visual contrast within the map however and wherever necessary, but I will most likely will not be adding much more color to it. The palette references these images.

17b575a68549a65b5ff325d3fdd4c974.png

17b575a68549a65b5ff325d3fdd4c974.png

f5eb7e5a656d860e0e84028b63ccc1f3.png

If memory serves, this was concept art from How To Train Your Dragon.

This is from a fellow gaffer "miguel alonso" and the one on the right is basically the map's palette. Dark gray/cobalt rocks and eggshell skybox with the major color changes coming from the lava.
7bc6ca5e6e363e8410983447b4cb4dc9.jpg

I'll miss the green caverns Zoba =(

It still looks great though. Looking forward to it!

In regards to the open atrium: it looks lacking in cover. I'm sure that's intentional, but going up the ramps look really risky--perhaps too much so?

Played a few games on it. Going to be making some changes to the routes to improve the flow. Might also descale it. Grass seems to be largely preferred so I might experiment with that again, although the rocks would still look volcanic so I'm not sure.

BraXzy

Played a few games on it. Going to be making some changes to the routes to improve the flow. Might also descale it. Grass seems to be largely preferred so I might experiment with that again, although the rocks would still look volcanic so I'm not sure.

I think I'd say I preferred the organic look and feel reminiscent of the campaign level you based it on because it already feels like it is from a world we know in the Halo universe, a new area we never came across in the campaign. Which grounds the setting/lore aspect quite well. But the new look is pretty cool too. Just very different. It's your map at the end of the day ;)

So I'm just about ready to test a really competitive (or at least I hope It to be) Doubles map for Halo 5.

Aesthetics aren't quite there yet, and I can't help but feel I've gone a little overboard with the whole red/blue kinda thing. Think the final version will likely be a little more subtle. For now, it enables some very easy callous - Gold Lift, Red Spawn, Top Mid, Outside etc. Anywho, would appreciate any criticism or suggestions. And I hope to be online tomorrow for a longish session of double on a few specific doubles maps, not just my own.

An ancient building buried in the ice:

V0GHI8k.png

Outside (Plasma Caster Spawn)

VhXitfr.png

Gold lift

UMKyhI5.png

I've done a little walkaround (please excuse the missed jump) so people can get a feel for it. Let me know what you think!

So I'm just about ready to test a really competitive (or at least I hope It to be) Doubles map for Halo 5.

Aesthetics aren't quite there yet, and I can't help but feel I've gone a little overboard with the whole red/blue kinda thing. Think the final version will likely be a little more subtle. For now, it enables some very easy callous - Gold Lift, Red Spawn, Top Mid, Outside etc. Anywho, would appreciate any criticism or suggestions. And I hope to be online tomorrow for a longish session of double on a few specific doubles maps, not just my own.

I've done a little walkaround (please excuse the missed jump) so people can get a feel for it. Let me know what you think!

I'll try to be on tomorrow. I can't make any promises, but if you need someone and I'm on, I'll be glad to help.

Top Bottom