• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge |OT| Plan, Build, Share

nillapuddin

yeah I dont want to pile on that guy, but the scaling is off, significantly.

I tried out a bunch of the maps off that gamertag the other night, and man, scaling is hard
for some ppl ;)

edit: Im kinda itchin to do maybe one more remake but I cant put my finger on what yet

Ive already got:
<4v4 Sym Foundation, >4v4 Sym Rats Nest
<4v4 Asym Turf, >4v4 Asym Longshore

I was considering Harvest, I think its underrated, but its basically just another Rats Nest.

Thought about Relic, I have extensive measurements of the structure so thats not an issue, but Im not 100% I want to deal with all the terrain.

I love Prisoner, but Im not convinced either. Great ground pound possibilities I guess.

Desolation is another pet project Ive done in the past, but I think Im the only one who remembers it lol

Highlands from Reach as a dark horse

edit edit:
whoa now, this guy did a vid on my map but I didnt know about it. I dont like that...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T78tdT8wLcE

He doesnt show any of the new traversal possibilities or the fun R&B bases, or arghhhh

Akai__

Is there a way to keep a Stronghold base from being captured from one team?

I have found a solution, but really isn't optimal.

Put Shield Doors in front of the Stronghold area and change the shield color to either Team Attacker or Defender. The other team can still destroy the Shields, but if takes a full AR clip to destroy one shield. Just put like 20 in front of the Strongholds. :p

Hey people, current progress on a 2v2 map I've been playing around with. Just looking to gather some feedback on the design, aesthetics, and layout. Please keep in mind, it's for 2 v 2 and nothing else. :)

vnDLCz2.png

W89Fl7X.png

GN3dU9R.png

klgEj8V.png

mO4K8Se.png

6S0r8EU.png

R2YvTQC.png

RMFcCKy.png

Walkthrough video is available for your viewing pleasure here also. :)

Hey forgers I have a question.

I know you can make simple doors in halo 5, but can I use a switch to make any part move, or is it relegated to certain pieces? I'd love to make wall pieces move if possible. If not doors alone would work as well.

More importantly can I make a switch activate more than one doors, and if so is there a limit on how many?

I have a particular concept in mind which only works if this is possible.

jem0208

Hey forgers I have a question.

I know you can make simple doors in halo 5, but can I use a switch to make any part move, or is it relegated to certain pieces? I'd love to make wall pieces move if possible. If not doors alone would work as well.

More importantly can I make a switch activate more than one doors, and if so is there a limit on how many?

I have a particular concept in mind which only works if this is possible.
Yes.

You can script anything to move on command, you can also make as many things as you want move with one button.

nillapuddin

So that "Halo 5 Classic Remakes" channel did walkthrough on my Turf and Foundation remakes, I do feel weird that I was never approached by the person? Is that normal?

Turf

Foundation

But heres the thing that is bothering me about this Youtube Channel/Redditor/Google Spreadsheet owner

Im not going to even begin to start with why I dont agree that this one guy should be arbitrarily giving 1-10 rankings on remakes and he alone has that ability.

I also would never claim to disagree with anyones ranking or opinions of my maps, because thats their opinion and Ive been in this game along time, I know how to take criticism.

But he just replaced my Foundation remake, with this one ...

.. and gives it a 9.5.

Im getting too old to chase after youtubers and yell at the sky, but thats doing the community a disservice when you feature stuff like that.

Homeboyd

I wouldn't worry about it nilla. The folks looking for maps know about your work here, and if a foundation remake was something being considered for MM, they wouldn't only use the reddit spreadsheet (and those rankings) as their only source. Quality would still be reviewed independently of ratings/rankings assigned elsewhere. I'm keeping track of remakes myself actually.

Gotta agree with Homeboyd on this one. If you want to do some map showcases with me, happy to record a couple of your favourites and get you in to talk about how you did it and all that jazz.

The Kree

Banned
So that "Halo 5 Classic Remakes" channel did walkthrough on my Turf and Foundation remakes, I do feel weird that I was never approached by the person? Is that normal?

Turf

Foundation

But heres the thing that is bothering me about this Youtube Channel/Redditor/Google Spreadsheet owner

Im not going to even begin to start with why I dont agree that this one guy should be arbitrarily giving 1-10 rankings on remakes and he alone has that ability.

I also would never claim to disagree with anyones ranking or opinions of my maps, because thats their opinion and Ive been in this game along time, I know how to take criticism.

But he just replaced my Foundation remake, with this one ...

.. and gives it a 9.5.

Im getting too old to chase after youtubers and yell at the sky, but thats doing the community a disservice when you feature stuff like that.

He's got 200 subscribers. You can't possibly give a shit.

nillapuddin

Homeboyd, I know you got my back man.

I dont really care (about my maps being rated), it just frustrates me (with the system and popularity of this one source)

In the Remake renaissance times of Reach, between the group JD and I proliferated and our work in BP, we had a real system of judgement with tons of parameters, ways to weed out bias and a refined system of recommendations.

When I just see some random guy throwing some 1-10 numbers on maps and the community is taking it as prophecy it just bothers me. I just wish I had the time to make those past efforts again, the community is exploding with talent more than it ever was before and it deserves proper representation.

nillapuddin

Gotta agree with Homeboyd on this one. If you want to do some map showcases with me, happy to record a couple of your favourites and get you in to talk about how you did it and all that jazz.

That would be great, In the next week I am going to try and make a push to update my first wave of maps, publish my second, and do any sort of cool recording/testing/streaming I can.

If I had the time and ability, I would love to do a channel just devoted to 1 on 1 walkthrough/interview/gameplay on forge maps. Ive done walthroughs and rebuilds and given advice to so many forgers over the years, I think it would be cool to see maps before and after some outside advice and refinement. (pipedream)

If anyone remembers Testers Guild, I did that quite a bit on and off the record, I used to love that system and opportunity to help people with their maps

JDHarbs

Homeboyd, I know you got my back man.

I dont really care (about my maps being rated), it just frustrates me (with the system and popularity of this one source)

In the Remake renaissance times of Reach, between the group JD and I proliferated and our work in BP, we had a real system of judgement with tons of parameters, ways to weed out bias and a refined system of recommendations.

When I just see some random guy throwing some 1-10 numbers on maps and the community is taking it as prophecy it just bothers me. I just wish I had the time to make those past efforts again, the community is exploding with talent more than it ever was before and it deserves proper representation.
I'm growing to dislike that doc as well. The ratings seem to be much more focused on how 1:1 it is than how well-forged it is. Ratings are reduced for maps that didn't match the colors of the original, and improved for maps that exceed the object budget to match the original structures more accurately (thus having framerate issues).

This is why we didn't go near a rating system for our lists in the past because quality is entirely dependent on one's preferred taste in a remake. I'd always list multiple candidates for each remake to let everyone decide for themselves what the best was instead of just having them take my word for it.

What I really don't like is how he's been putting incomplete maps on that doc and giving them a low rating because of it. If its not done it shouldn't be listed, let alone rated. He has a w.i.p. tag next to them, but apparently people don't read it because I've had a ton of people follow me for Condemned only to find that its not playable. Then they'll remove the bookmark, and never go near it again even when it is eventually finished.

I'm growing to dislike that doc as well. The ratings seem to be much more focused on how 1:1 it is than how well-forged it is. Ratings are reduced for maps that didn't match the colors of the original, and improved for maps that exceed the object budget to match the original structures more accurately (thus having framerate issues).

This is why we didn't go near a rating system for our lists in the past because quality is entirely dependent on one's preferred taste in a remake. I'd always list multiple candidates for each remake to let everyone decide for themselves what the best was instead of just having them take my word for it.

What I really don't like is how he's been putting incomplete maps on that doc and giving them a low rating because of it. If its not done it shouldn't be listed, let alone rated. He has a w.i.p. tag next to them, but apparently people don't read it because I've had a ton of people follow me for Condemned only to find that its not playable. Then they'll remove the bookmark, and never go near it again even when it is eventually finished.

So can someone please make a better doc? :) Some of the good remakes are no longer in there. Better to just keep as close to a master list as possible, right

Also, make a gamertag for each halo game and bookmark all the ones added and updated from the doc, for easy finding in-game.

Akai__

@DavidEllis: Someone started recreating the warthog escape sequence from Halo 3 in Halo 5's Forge. Wow. http://xboxclips.com/xXBarthXx/bad46c74-4f37-4464-95c0-13698cbb34ac &#8230;

Damn. Wonder how detailed it can be.

---

Always keep forgetting to ask, but did Bungie or 343i ever say why there is no direct "test map" function in Forge itself? Like, why do I always have to load it into Customs to test it?

Also, I hope the next update introduces "Start New Round". Having to restart the map, because the scripts get broken after the 3rd button press, is really annoying.

nillapuddin

Damn. Wonder how detailed it can be.

---

Always keep forgetting to ask, but did Bungie or 343i ever say why there is no direct "test map" function in Forge itself? Like, why do I always have to load it into Customs to test it?

Also, I hope the next update introduces "Start New Round". Having to restart the map, because the scripts get broken after the 3rd button press, is really annoying.

I have quite a few small issues with Forge, none of which break the experience.

However one of the top on the list is the glaring exclusion of start new round.

I just don't understand why that isn't a thing.

NOKYARD

I have quite a few small issues with Forge, none of which break the experience.

However one of the top on the list is the glaring exclusion of start new round.

I just don't understand why that isn't a thing.

Tom French said it was on their to-do list.

Had a strange thing happen to Ruumz. The map has 40 64' Orange Glass pieces, 40 32' Green, and 32 16' Blue pieces. Yesterday when i opened the map all the Blue pieces had vanished. I distinctly remember seeing them when i saved the night before.

Last night i placed the final camera and the map crashed just as my thumb hit the quick save button. Did not save.

Top Bottom