• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge |OT| Plan, Build, Share

So I decided to have a go at making an actual competitive map instead of just messing about. It's kinda inspired by Fathom and intended for CTF. I have no idea if it's terrible or amazing, curious to see what you guys think. If it's terrible just say, I really don't mind, had fun making it anyway.

Here's a walkthrough:

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Il MeanBean lI/video/14188414

I like the layout. Good job. Did I miss weapon placements?

I'd be willing to help test 4v4 CTF on it.

jem0208

Alright, I increased the size of my map somewhat:

lDLay8Y.jpg

I also changed up the central section inside the building as I thought it was a bit cramped:
2tw7I5D.png

Here's another walkthrough:
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Il MeanBean lI/video/14206423

Need to do spawns and weapons now. After that aesthetics.

jem0208

Looks a little boxy. Needs some curves and diagonals. I assume that comes later.

It's just a block out at the moment, I've yet to do anything with aesthetics other than some colouring to indicate which base is which. I'd like to see if it plays well before I spend time making it look good.

Edit: I was worried it was a bit too segmented before, so I made a variant with the central tower removed. I'd be interested to see how differently they play.

kLTPnlK.jpg

Here is an impatient walkthrough a map I have made. I am not a pro-Forger by any means, so I fear there are a few little inconsistencies in it, and I am not well versed in design language at all, but eh, here's a 'first complete draft' of it. Designed for 4v4 minimum, 5v5 or 6v6 sweet-spot I think. Slayer/Strongholds/CTF. It's not been playtested much yet. If anyone nabs it off my fileshare, let me know what you think ('Constantine (Alpha)').

http://xboxclips.com/RedSparrows/caedb00d-c0b8-4fb4-b526-1b7d8e29a2de

Description: This elite waterside park is more often scene to poisonings than to open battle. Things change.

Raide

Wow, they did actually update Forge. Bug fixes are my main thing but having a few new bits to play with is always welcome.

Man, I can already see these grids getting a ton of use for aesthetic purposes, considering they're only as wide as a decal.

Also, quick little aesthetic tip: for my map I needed a gridlike pattern to symbolize a kill-zone, and considering my last attempt with physical primitives ended up being like 64 objects total, here's a way easier solution:

- Establish a center point / coordinate for the grids to go around. (I used the 20x20 pieces.)

- Use 4 grids, and offset them all by 1 point in both the x and y axes. For example:
Centerpoint is (200, 500)
Grid A would be 201, 501
Grid B would be 201, 499
Grid C would be 199, 501
Grid D would be 199, 499

And voila! A more detailed grid... thing.

FyreWulff

Forge Bug Fixes:

General Stability updates to Forge
Grouping two or more groups together now properly updates the budgets and works as intended
Fixed various objects with missing descriptions (+ English strings in non-English languages)
Fixed a crash caused by duplicating a group with a maxed out budget
Fixed a crash caused by trying to delete scripts when none are in use.
Fixed an issue where adding objects to groups did not reset the group count.
Fixed an issue that capped scripts useable on an object at 7. Players can now use 8 scripts.
Fixed crashes caused when working with groups that had objects that don't exist
Fixed issue with setting fog to "None" doesn't actually result in no fog
Forgers can no longer "weld" Mantises
Fixed broken bullet collision for: Accent: Ceiling [32x80x16; corner; left] and Accent: Ceiling [32x80x16; corner; right]
Resized Block [32x32x16] to be correct size
Resized Block [64x64x48] to be correct size
Fixed Cylinder [24x24x80; full] so collision model matches render model
Fixed Cylinder [24x24x80; half] so collision model matches render model
Fixed Cylinder [64x64x24; full] so collision model matches render model
Centered text on Sign [armory; 2x10x8]
Fixed incorrect physics behavior with the soccer ball
Fixed some missing object/folder descriptions
Forerunner [Pulse] sound object now attached to the correct sound

nice

That's neat that they added the Halo 2 BR as a weapon in Forge. Is that a REQ, or completely new for this patch?

Now add it as a starting weapon on gametype settings.

Edit: This anchor 9 remake will benefit from grav volumes, now we only need to have shield doors back!

Massive thank you to the HaloGAFers that helped test my map this evening. Lots of changes required it seems! Really appreciated the feedback.

That's neat that they added the Halo 2 BR as a weapon in Forge. Is that a REQ, or completely new for this patch?

It's weird, what is the difference between the Halo 2 BR and the Classic BR?

I picked up the classic BR a week or two ago in a Warzone match and wondered what the hell it was. How that happened I do not know...

Karl2177

It's weird, what is the difference between the Halo 2 BR and the Classic BR?

I picked up the classic BR a week or two ago in a Warzone match and wondered what the hell it was. How that happened I do not know...

Classic BR is literally just a different scope on the Halo 5 BR. Unconfirmed, but it appears the Halo 2 Battle Rifle has a frame in between each shot.

The Kree

Banned
It's really nice to see a more modular Forge that can be updated over time beyond bug fixes and canvases. 343 is doing good work.

Man, I can already see these grids getting a ton of use for aesthetic purposes, considering they're only as wide as a decal.

Also, quick little aesthetic tip: for my map I needed a gridlike pattern to symbolize a kill-zone, and considering my last attempt with physical primitives ended up being like 64 objects total, here's a way easier solution:

- Establish a center point / coordinate for the grids to go around. (I used the 20x20 pieces.)

- Use 4 grids, and offset them all by 1 point in both the x and y axes. For example:
Centerpoint is (200, 500)
Grid A would be 201, 501
Grid B would be 201, 499
Grid C would be 199, 501
Grid D would be 199, 499

And voila! A more detailed grid... thing.
This stuff is so cool.

Man, I could spend forever just making skyboxes.

Nothing on red side moves because of how dense and large all the setpieces are (outside of the Phaeton*), but the hugeass Mass Driver on the blue side articulates! It periodically fires off a round and has some moving parts that react to the shot.

*I have a Phaeton hovering just outside either base because their sounds are heavily scripted and can be heard from really far away - they're scripted to explode when you trigger something on the map and respawn when the trigger does, giving you a consistent audio cue to pay attention to across the map.

Video of the Mass Driver in action: http://1drv.ms/1Vq9X4L

Raide

I wonder how many of the Forge ending or problematic bugs have been sorted.

Nest thing I would love for the Forge Update is New Forge Zones and Texture Options for the current items. I kinda miss the look of the stone style Forge blocks. :D

Top Bottom