• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge |OT| Plan, Build, Share

Akai__

I have quite a few small issues with Forge, none of which break the experience.

However one of the top on the list is the glaring exclusion of start new round.

I just don't understand why that isn't a thing.

You should post that list and send it towards Tom French's Twitter. Dude answers all the Twitter stuff, which is simply amazing.

Tom French said it was on their to-do list.

Nice. Hope it gets added soon.

FyreWulff

Always keep forgetting to ask, but did Bungie or 343i ever say why there is no direct "test map" function in Forge itself? Like, why do I always have to load it into Customs to test it?

The Forge environment has always been a bit different than the 'real' one, and also it'd be a lot harder to build maps if everything was truly active as you built.

Also, in Reach/4 you needed to specify the gametype so that the engine could load in new Megalo gametype labels shipped after the game was already done. The overhead to run Forge stuff would have taken away memory available to Megalo.

NOKYARD

If anyone has a Grifball court, complete or in progress, please let me see it. I am having a Grifball court clinic in about an hour.

If anyone has a Grifball court, complete or in progress, please let me see it. I am having a Grifball court clinic in about an hour.

As someone who is foreign to Grifball can you explain to me the point of multiple courts? aren't they just rectangles with 8 spawn points, a bomb spawn point and 2 arm points?

Welfare

As someone who is foreign to Grifball can you explain to me the point of multiple courts? aren't they just rectangles with 8 spawn points, a bomb spawn point and 2 arm points?

Different arenas spices up the aesthetics. Looking at the same court after hundreds of matches would be boring.

NOKYARD

You could ask the same for any sport.

Visual variety as no one wants to play the same space over and over for hours at a time. Team Home Court programs have been wildly successful since Halo 3.

You could ask the same for any sport.

Visual variety as no one wants to play the same space over and over for hours at a time. Team Home Court programs have been wildly successful since Halo 3.
The sports teams change venues because of location not aesthetics though.

Visual variety makes perfect sense though. How do home court programs work? Each team makes their own court and the "home team" invites the away team to play on their court? Is there an approval process for these maps?

NOKYARD

The sports teams change venues because of location not aesthetics though.

Visual variety makes perfect sense though. How do home court programs work? Each team makes their own court and the "home team" invites the away team to play on their court? Is there an approval process for these maps?

Generally, i build a template which is a nearly complete map and teams just have to build up the walls and decorate as they see fit. If there are any additional decorative items i will spawn them off to the side so builders with little experience are not intimidated. Once their court is near complete i would usually work with the builder to polish them and custom tune the containment.

For Halo 3 we had a program where we paired Forgehub builders up with GrifballHUB teams and they built the courts together. Some of the more established court builders came from this program.
gsh.jpg

For Halo 5 the template will be 100% invisible and you will be able to play a complete game using nothing but the template.

I saw a very nice looking forerunner themed court on NOKYARD's stream not too long ago. It was insane how the forerunner architecture was recreated. INSANE

false bud

its 90% aesthetics, keeping up with the jones', modernizing, making money, etc, etc

besides, most large sporting arenas, already have a city built around them, theres nowhere else to go lol
, lifetime sports fan
I'm talking about playing in Detroit, Chicago, New York (changing location), not building new stadiums.

Generally, i build a template which is a nearly complete map and teams just have to build up the walls and decorate as they see fit. If there are any additional decorative items i will spawn them off to the side so builders with little experience are not intimidated. Once their court is near complete i would usually work with the builder to polish them and custom tune the containment.

For Halo 3 we had a program where we paired Forgehub builders up with GrifballHUB teams and they built the courts together. Some of the more established court builders came from this program.
gsh.jpg

For Halo 5 the template will be 100% invisible and you will be able to play a complete game using nothing but the template.

Thanks for the explanation, very cool.

Akai__

The Forge environment has always been a bit different than the 'real' one, and also it'd be a lot harder to build maps if everything was truly active as you built.

Also, in Reach/4 you needed to specify the gametype so that the engine could load in new Megalo gametype labels shipped after the game was already done. The overhead to run Forge stuff would have taken away memory available to Megalo.

I have no clue how this stuff works, so it's always great to have people that know. Thanks for the insight.

NOKYARD

Do you have a template and dimensions up already?

Not until after we get some quality play time with the game type. It would also help if the File Share update came at the same time.

My advice is to tear apart any of my maps and build up from there, then keep the design flexible in case the template shrinks or grows once we establish final dimensions.

NOKYARD

Do you have a template and dimensions up already?
I now have a Parallax template for all to enjoy. Please note this is a temporary solution and the final dimensions have not yet been established. Keep your design flexible to allow for possible future alterations.

Instructions:

Don't touch ANYTHING which is locked. Do not unlock anything which is locked. These are essential to game play and are there for a reason which may not be apparent to the builder. If you accidentally lose your forge piece inside of an invisible block, spawn another of the item and use the 'Select All Of' trick to recover it.
DO NOT UNLOCK ANYTHING by NOKYARD, on Flickr

The openings in the ends and top of the court are there so you can navigate your build. They will close automatically with scripting in the first few seconds of a game. Leave them as is.
Builders access panel by NOKYARD, on Flickr

Replace anything which is the Plum colour, with pieces which exactly match their position, even if you replace it with an invisibarrier.
Alternate side walls by NOKYARD, on Flickr

The court is 6 sided. If you wish to make it rectangular set the center spawn zone to 207 units and use that as a guide for the side walls.
Measuring stick by NOKYARD, on Flickr

Unlock the central side wall and invisiwall and group them, then move them 10 units toward the middle. Unlock and straighten the side panels (which are set to a 6 degree angle) to match the center piece.
Alternate side walls by NOKYARD, on Flickr

You have a choice of 3 different starting platforms.
Default Launch Platform by NOKYARD, on Flickr

If you decide to use one of the spare platforms simply delete the original platform (NOT the spawns) and mancanons, then group the platform you want to use and set the parent to the actual platform piece. Use the coordinate system (DO NOT MOVE BY HAND i use very tight tolerances) to set the platform to Y = 0.00.

The big invisible block above the Initial Spawns is scripted to block the Spawns after the game starts to prevent late spawning players from being locked out of the court. Please do not touch it.
Alternate Launch Platform by NOKYARD, on Flickr

There is a script which closes the invisiwalls and locks players in at the start of the match (does not fire in Forge mode). You may use this script for your own needs. The action is triggered with a message sent to Alpha channel, and reset with Zulu for testing purposes. You may read the states of Alpha through Echo channels, but DO NOT not alter their states or you will break this script. You may test your script using the provided Alpha and Zulu invisible switches on the scripting platform.
Script by NOKYARD, on Flickr

Player containment (Kill and Safe Volumes) is complete on the template but you may have to alter it for your design.

Generally, you should not let any of your forge pieces pass through the invisible walls, and never so they impede player movement. You may alter the structure of the ceiling but not in a way where the ball may become stuck, or where players may launch up to perches.

You may deviate from this spec as you wish but keep in mind that altering the layout may disqualify your court from being considered in Matchmaking and official Grifball League play, but don't let that stop you from being creative and coming up with fresh new ideas. We did have very poipular Half-Pipe and Low-gravity courts in Matchmaking.

FyreWulff

Nokyard is basically compiling years of experience and PTSD from map escapes into a nice template.

I remember when people figured out how to escape the Foundry variant in Halo 3 solely to record Plasma Turret kills for their Matchmaking records chest.

Nokyard is basically compiling years of experience and PTSD from map escapes into a nice template.

I remember when people figured out how to escape the Foundry variant in Halo 3 solely to record Plasma Turret kills for their Matchmaking records chest.
Why was there a plasma turret on a grifball map?

FyreWulff

Why was there a plasma turret on a grifball map?

It was hidden behind the wall as an easter egg. People found out how to block all the spawns on the map and then pop someone into the backup spawns behind the wall.

IIRC it required the full cooperation of both teams so everyone in the game knew what was going to happen, but it still had to be removed, from what i remember

It was hidden behind the wall as an easter egg. People found out how to block all the spawns on the map and then pop someone into the backup spawns behind the wall.

IIRC it required the full cooperation of both teams so everyone in the game knew what was going to happen, but it still had to be removed, from what i remember
That's really interesting.

NOKYARD

People actually found the Plasma Turret for the first time when there was a host switch and half of the map's wall despawned. By the next day players figured out how to glitch the map's spawns and get behind the wall. Since then Grifball courts destined for MM have had 6 respawns per side, and the map's natural emergency spawns are usually blocked.

Hey guys, quick question. How do you take quality images of your maps? I can't seem to use Theater to do it.

Better solution - start a custom game, increase the time limit, and in the settings turn on machinima mode. Now you can press Up on the DPD and whatever button you have for reload, and fly around the map at your leisure to take shots of the playspace using Xbox screenshot functionality.

For those interested, the Glacier canvas (or the sunrise variant, at least - not sure if it varies for alternate skyboxes) renders its lighting cubemap at approximate coordinates of:

X: 48.10
Y: 74.90
Z: 224.10

It's not cut-and-dry at the exact 0 coordinate the same way Parallax is.

Top Bottom