• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuchsdh

Lol now I'm pissed. Where the fuck is this post game carnage report in the final game?

Performance might be one reason—the blurs and transparency effects are beautiful but if you're prioritizing speed it'd be a good idea to strip it down more. I'm also presuming some of those assets were meant to be 3D models rather than 2D stills.

My main complaint is that in some ways the menu draws attention to itself and is too heavy, rather than being unobtrusive and letting you get to content quickly.

The only thing I'm not a fan of is the excessive blurry bloom going on behind each menu screen. Like you said, clean that up a bit, and you've got a sexy menu.

I just remembered that they did mention some UI tweaks incoming for the December update.

Hopefully we get some juicy details. Maybe they will be in full holiday cheer and provide us an xmas present of forge, ui, controller settings, dailys, firefight in one big bundle of joy! and ....

ALL GLORY TO FRANKIE

BraXzy

I just remembered that they did mention some UI tweaks incoming for the December update.

Hopefully we get some juicy details. Maybe they will be in full holiday cheer and provide us an xmas present of forge, ui, controller settings, dailys, firefight in one big bundle of joy! and ....

ALL GLORY TO FRANKIE

I hope so badly that this update blows our minds. I have a feeling if any update is going to do that though, it'd be January/February after enough time for dev maps to get made and the holidays to be out of the way :(

Welfare

Performance might be one reason—the blurs and transparency effects are beautiful but if you're prioritizing speed it'd be a good idea to strip it down more. I'm also presuming some of those assets were meant to be 3D models rather than 2D stills.

My main complaint is that in some ways the menu draws attention to itself and is too heavy, rather than being unobtrusive and letting you get to content quickly.

I don't care much for the effects, but more of what was actually shown. This shows far more information than what made it in the final game.

The kill feed video at the end looks so good.

I like the direction the UI was going for more than what we got.

Tawpgun

bEA3Wva.png

So good

Plus a scattershot cert in my other pack

link1201

I don't care much for the effects, but more of what was actually shown. This shows far more information than what made it in the final game.

The kill feed video at the end looks so good.

I like the direction the UI was going for more than what we got.
Maybe it'll improve. It needs reworked Imo.

BraXzy

The visuals would need tweaking but like Welfare said, this gives so much more info. Medals acquired, total medals, way more game stats, tool of destruction etc. The BEST part of the whole thing though?

00f025bffb04b9ce72873d2bb980f96d.png

Look at that. In that small little box of info, I know they are online, they have 2 people in their lobby, they aren't joinable and they are playing Team Slayer on Truth. The only thing the current UI lets on is that they are online, unless you check their gamertag through the console OS and then you just get the last bit of info. You could add a forth thing under Open 2 that is literally a LFG? tickbox. Boom.

E92 M3

The visuals would need tweaking but like Welfare said, this gives so much more info. Medals acquired, total medals, way more game stats, tool of destruction etc. The BEST part of the whole thing though?

00f025bffb04b9ce72873d2bb980f96d.png

Look at that. In that small little box of info, I know they are online, they have 2 people in their lobby, they aren't joinable and they are playing Team Slayer on Truth. The only thing the current UI lets on is that they are online, unless you check their gamertag through the console OS and then you just get the last bit of info. You could add a forth thing under Group 2 that is literally a LFG? tickbox. Boom.

Yeah, why was that excluded? So handy.

BraXzy

Reading through this thread, I wonder am I one of the rare species of people who really like Halo 5.

People really like it. Me included. Many others included. That doesn't mean things shouldn't be discussed, or that we should shy away from making suggestions to fix things we don't like. There are a few people that really dislike the game and voice themselves, that's fine and their opinion, but just ignore it if anything :L

CeeSaw

Reading through this thread, I wonder am I one of the rare species of people who really like Halo 5.

I love this game and have played it more than I played Reach and 4 combined. The only thing that baffles me is launching a Halo game without Oddball and KOTH. Those two omissions to me are pretty bad and I can see why people are frustrated with the game.

daedalius

I love Halo 5, but this game can be so much more so easily that it gets kinda hard not pointing out everything that could be improved.

This is pretty much how I feel.

They really need to add something like firefight, and daily/weekly challenges for REQ. Story mission challenges, whatever.

I don't always want to play competitive modes every time I am on. Sometimes I want to just shoot dumb AI in the face.

BraXzy

One thing about weekend playlists or whatever, I feel like the entire game should have double XP, with the weekend playlist also having double REQ points or the other way round. If a playlist comes up that you don't really care about, eh. If all of a sudden every playlist is worth playing at the weekend, you're damn sure I'll be there.

Welfare

One thing about weekend playlists or whatever, I feel like the entire game should have double XP, with the weekend playlist also having double REQ points or the other way round. If a playlist comes up that you don't really care about, eh. If all of a sudden every playlist is worth playing at the weekend, you're damn sure I'll be there.

Yeah, the weekends should be an across the board "Double XP" with the actual weekend playlist giving double RP. Much more incentive to log in on the weekends.

It could even alternate to where the weekend is double RP across the board and the weekend playlist is still double XP + RP.

I love and hate those UI demos: I'd tone down the actual gradation on the text (such as in that SpOps? mockup), but the glowiness and stuff is great. CA on the scoreboard is neat but obstructs too much info. Also, that shit would be way too difficult to realistically process at a decent pace unless you stuck to glowy pre-rendered bitmaps, which would just look tacky.

I adore the game too, but there's just so much untapped potential in the core game they've built (incredible sandbox, REQs, strong co-op campaign, PVP with AI enemies included...) that is not utilised at the moment, and it's especially annoying since previous games in the series already featured game modes and progression systems which would fill in a lot of those gaps. It almost feels like they must have an improved PVE mode being prepared for an update since most of the components already are in the game in some form or another and it could work very well as a REQ dump, but they've said absolutely nothing about it so I'm going to keep complaining until they confirm things either way.

I'm super excited for Forge either way, and I hope the file sharing UI receives the same kind of upgrade (and arrives ASAP). Even if we just end up getting more of what we already have + Forge I will keep playing this game for a long time, but it still pains me because this could be my GOAT Halo game but currently it's not just because of a lack of variety.

BraXzy

Yeah, the weekends should be an across the board "Double XP" with the actual weekend playlist giving double RP. Much more incentive to log in on the weekends.

It could even alternate to where the weekend is double RP across the board and the weekend playlist is still double XP + RP.

If they eventually added campaign scoring and req rewards for that, they could even have a campaign weekend with challenges. Possibilities. Endless.

BraXzy

I got a legendary DMR in my WZ REQ pack today. I didn't even know there was such a thing. Got garbage for everything else though

I'd take anything Legendary (besides emblems) and call it a win. What is the req requirement to call it in? And what does it actually do?

JackHerer

The lack of a post-game medal report is one of the more confusing things about this game. They added in a bunch of really great new medals without providing any way to view them. I really miss being able to see at a glance what each player did during a match, including which weapons they used.

In addition to medals they should add ToD and killed most/by.

BraXzy

One cool suggestion for a medal I saw on Reddit was ODST, for when you ground pound someone from super high, or Helljumper for ground pounding a vehicle.

But yeah, being able to see all our medals is a must.

dammit I want to play soooo badly right now, FU exam thats starting in 1 hour ><

Good luck with the exams! Get off GAF and do some last minute studying :p

I know the feeling.

There are problems with Halo 5, but the way its discussed it's like people equate Halo 4's wonky MP design, MCC's stability problems, and a lack of game modes in Halo 5 as being somehow equivalent, like it's another 343 major error.

I want more game modes, but the core game is so fucking good, I don't feel the need to moan all day.

jem0208

Halo 5 is a damn solid base and 343 should be applauded for that. That said there are a number of tweaks and additions which would be very, very nice. The thing is that these are all fairly simple fixes.

- Nerf or tweak the automatic weapons; The AR is too powerful at range, cut down its range or just straight up increase it's TTK. The storm rifle is ridiculous and should probably be a power weapon. In its current state it's far too strong.

- Buff the pistol slightly; it's not quite good enough against weapons like the BR at the moment. I'd slightly increase it's fire rate and keep it 5 shot kill personally.

- Add new game modes; this one is obvious, we straight up don't have enough variety in game modes at the moment. 2 objective types and a round based slayer varient is not enough. Bring back staples such as KOTH, oddball, assault, one flag etc.

- Social playlists; this is quite closely linked to the game modes problem actually. We need some fun playlists to just mess around in. Give us griffball, infection, race etc. On top of that something like social slayer.

- New maps; the maps in the game at the moment are actually fairly good however there's not that many, new maps would be lovely*. Warzone is also severely lacking in maps at the moment.

*preferably not UNSC in design.

One cool suggestion for a medal I saw on Reddit was ODST, for when you ground pound someone from super high, or Helljumper for ground pounding a vehicle.

But yeah, being able to see all our medals is a must.

Good luck with the exams! Get off GAF and do some last minute studying :p

thanks! I think I've studied quite enough actually lol, I wouldn't stop til 4 in the morning and even then I did a little more once I woke up. I think I'm ready for it :D

Akai__

When will they talk about the December CU? Is there any information about it? I forgot which day they chose for Bulletins.

Haruko

Can't wait to unlock this in a REQ pack! https://youtu.be/OKzgB5CNTW4

This happened to ex wife a few weeks ago; every game (until he hard rebooted) he had this issue. Every Spartan and NPC in Warzone, from his perspective, was holding their guns toward the sky. Even the Hunters.

And all the vehicles were malformed and drove on their sides, from his view.

I hope you're right >=D

I know at least one of the Legendary RP boosts gives 5k, though it might be the WZ one.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
This morning I had my greatest H5 moment -

Screenshot-Original.png

The best part was that halfway through the match two of my teammates quit. So it was 4-2 for the majority of the match. I think I may retire now.

Tawpgun

Halo 5 is a damn solid base and 343 should be applauded for that. That said there are a number of tweaks and additions which would be very, very nice. The thing is that these are all fairly simple fixes.

- Nerf or tweak the automatic weapons; The AR is too powerful at range, cut down its range or just straight up increase it's TTK. The storm rifle is ridiculous and should probably be a power weapon. In its current state it's far too strong.

- Buff the pistol slightly; it's not quite good enough against weapons like the BR at the moment. I'd slightly increase it's fire rate and keep it 5 shot kill personally.

- Add new game modes; this one is obvious, we straight up don't have enough variety in game modes at the moment. 2 objective types and a round based slayer varient is not enough. Bring back staples such as KOTH, oddball, assault, one flag etc.

- Social playlists; this is quite closely linked to the game modes problem actually. We need some fun playlists to just mess around in. Give us griffball, infection, race etc. On top of that something like social slayer.

- New maps; the maps in the game at the moment are actually fairly good however there's not that many, new maps would be lovely*. Warzone is also severely lacking in maps at the moment.

*preferably not UNSC in design.
Pistols fine in its ttk. I'd put a few more bullets in the mag.

Welfare

Pistol is perfect. Really I have no problems with weapon balance in this game. It plays really well and all the over powered crap is in Warzone, so Arena is squeaky clean.

I have never felt that what I had was useless or I was in an unfair situation unless I'm up against a rocket.

Detective

:( ...

I'm crying a little inside now... eyepopping visuals. Sure some tweaking to make it a bit more clean, but the theme/style is very eye pleasing to me. Especially how you equip helmets. omg i hate how it sorts them.

This..

I think those looks more sexy than the final one.

Finally grinded BTB with a ragtag squad and have all onyx in every playlist (even rumble rockets groce). Had some platinums and 1 gold on my team and we matched the same, this ranking system is still easily boostable. I honestly wish they just brought back the 1-50 and improved on it, its unique to halo.

Another thing, why are the maps all enclosed spaces? The most open map we have is coliseum and its surrounded by big ass forerunner mountains. Probably to keep performance high for the engine. I miss being on ascension and seeing all those random pieces of rock surrounded by fog off in the distance, or pit seeing that bigass mountain outside, even ivory tower with all the buildings etc.

Pistol is perfect. Really I have no problems with weapon balance in this game. It plays really well and all the over powered crap is in Warzone, so Arena is squeaky clean.

I have never felt that what I had was useless or I was in an unfair situation unless I'm up against a rocket.
The pistol is beast and weapon balance in this game is great. I hope they don't mess with it.

Madness

I wonder how much of a difference starting weapon makes in terms of how players use weapons or get accustomed to them. What if it was still AR/Pistol starts, but Pistol was starting primary. Would people complain it would be similar to BR starts? Would it even cause a change?

I wish the DMR could be used more. There is just something I love about single shot weapons. Nothing beats the feeling of headshots or hip firing a DMR in this game. It feels just right. I'd drop scope to 2x and love to be able to use it like the BR in modes like SWAT etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom