• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

IHaveIce

Banned
They said "tune in to find out how to unlock it", so we can't say for sure if that will work. Hope it's like that, because my friends also have to work early the next day and they actually care for the Helmet and for the Emblem.

I see Denial either dropping Devon and picking up somebody else or (unfortunately) splitting up completely and being picked up by top teams. There is a coupple teams that I want to see grow together (like Denial, Allegiance and Renegades). The aftermath will be fun/sad to follow with all the team changes and drama after the Worlds.

Also, a wishlist for Season 2:

- Make a deal with Activision/MLG for Chris Puckett being a Caster
- More LAN/Offline events with crowds.
- Add a Losers bracket. No more Single Elimination crap.
- Get new partners, because of these constant audio/video issues
- Bo7 upwards in Quarterfinals stages
- Did I mention Chris Puckett being a caster?
- Drop those Silver tier Casters
- Communicate even more with Pro Players
- Test different map and gametype settings like Assault, Oddball and even KotH
Yeah Devon will be dropped for sure.
I could also see Bubu and Huke being picked up.

If Allegiance will make it they won't split, sadly I can't see Renegades staying together eventhough I like the team.

Strider

I don't think any teams will stay together except CLG and maybe ALG (although unless they beat CLG I really really doubt it)

Major shake ups incoming.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I sold every freaking item I had, which also included more than 40 tanks, 60 ghost. 30 snipers, countless other item. Played so many warzone matches and finally made 80k REQ points.

and all I got was, 1 armor skin, 2 pistol skins, 1 assassination.

OH MY FUCKING GOD

Only 4 items? :( god is not real :(

http://i.imgur.com/mg6H5gZ.mp4

Caja 117

I'm just sad we aren't getting a full day of halo... 1 series today.

one series

Man they need to make future tournaments double elim.

Yes, the next tournament needs better organization, it is a weird desision to broadcast just one series during the whole day.

Trup1aya

I've gotta say for being the finals of HWC this is very very underwhelming.

There's just no feeling of it being a 2.5 mil competition.

Hopefully they learn for next time.

The one bright light is Walshy, he is by far the best and most enthuastic of casters. Halo needs more people like this.

They made some really silly decisions...

Tiny venue, in Hollywood, No losers bracket, screwed up second stage stream, bo5 quarter finals, only 1 series today... And they probably should have enlisted some big streamers and orgs to help promote it...

There were some really awesome series in the bracket round, with EG CLG being the only stinker

The MLG produced XGames tourney remains the high point of the season.

I think they should consider having the NA reginal tournament merged with the Championship tournament, and let the lesser world regions play round robin against the low seeded US teams, for a chance to enter pool play.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I keep on seeing teamed up players with joint names and emblems like TB ClutchDown and TB Rev3rsible in my low ranked games. I'm assuming they are some kind of wannabe pro players?

OneUh8

Iirc bravo said something along the lines of the armor not necessarily being tied to watching the event. I got the impression it would be signing up on waypoint or something. Keep an eye out here.

Yeah I will be keeping an eye on this thread for sure. I will be a little sad if I miss on the HWC stuff. Looks like I will have to leave the house before 7pm, so I will likely miss it all.

Glass

I bought my spartan armoury pack and got the Osiris skin, and it kind of highlights the need for an inspect weapon added to the largely unused D pad.

The skin is fine, but is completely unreadable when your'e wielding it. Which wouldn't be a problem if you could inspect it.

Screenshot-Original.png

As it stands its just a mess of black and a huge number of lines and detail which all the weapons have, which no doubt already make skins hard to work with. I'm guessing that's why up until now, all the skins have pretty much been colour patterns. Sparth talked about readability in The Sprint on the subject.

Bonus screenshot I thought was cool

Ramirez

I keep on seeing teamed up players with joint names and emblems like TB ClutchDown and TB Rev3rsible in my low ranked games. I'm assuming they are some kind of wannabe pro players?

Me and a few guys have TJ in front of our names, we've had the GTs for over a decade. It was just something you did for clans a long time ago and even today I'm sure. It doesn't mean you think you're a pro, or that you even want to be a pro.

It's also an easy way to get the name you want, Ramirez was obviously taken.

Regarding weapon skins, they need to add some animated ones, everything feels so plain and safe when it comes to customization. Let loose and get crazy, who cares if it fits in the cannon?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Me and a few guys have TJ in front of our names, we've had the GTs for over a decade. It was just something you did for clans a long time ago and even today I'm sure. It doesn't mean you think you're a pro, or that you even want to be a pro.

That makes sense. I played someone with two letters and Ramirez yesterday, need to look through my history, I think I lost big time...!

EDIT: was someone else obviously, matchmaking isn't that bad :D

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

Regarding weapon skins, they need to add some animated ones, everything feels so plain and safe when it comes to customization. Let loose and get crazy, who cares if it fits in the cannon?

Does naming your clan TEAM JESUS mean you want to be pro tho?

Akai__

I hate that Xbox isn't making Gamertags available again. "Akai" has not been online for like 5 years.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Speaking of pro players, how does one become pro? I'll never have the skills, but there are some gaffers who are seriously good. How would they go about becoming a pro?

Madness

Speaking of pro players, how does one become pro? I'll never have the skills, but there are some gaffers who are seriously good. How would they go about becoming a pro?

Sign up for online tournaments and events, play as much as you can in team arena, get a champion rank, look around for teams/orgs looking for players, friend the pros and if you're good enough try and see if you can play with them.

I think because the Halo pro scene had been neglected so much after Halo 3, it's been hard for any new pros to break onto the scene. Even now most of the top players with the exception of a few have at least been playing pro Halo since 3 and Reach.

Sites like Gamebattles are another good option. If you are a champion and pro level player, you'll be matched up with pros in MM a lot of the time. Post sick plays on sites, make montage videos, anything to get your name out there.

Strider

changing my GT to Strider HCS and going pro guys.

I really have seen some plat/diamond ranked people with an HCS tag tho. Doubt it's because they wanna play competitive it's just there way of identifying themselves with the game they enjoy.

Can't believe EG didn't win yesterday :-(

It's okay though as long as Naded pulls through with the win today, but CLG looks insanely good this tourney.

Will they be showing firefight today?

Off topic: new here, hi everyone! Could someone tell me how I can see if someone responded to my posts?

Strider

Can't believe EG didn't win yesterday :-(

It's okay though as long as Naded pulls through with the win today, but CLG looks insanely good this tourney.

Will they be showing firefight today?

Off topic: new here, hi everyone! Could someone tell me how I can see if someone responded to my posts?

you are the only person that can't believe they didn't win yesterday lol :p I won't count ALG out because they are a very capable team but CLG is the clear favorite here for sure. 90% chance they win.

And yea they are showing firefight today

you are the only person that can't believe they didn't win yesterday lol :p I won't count ALG out because they are a very capable team but CLG is the clear favorite here for sure. 90% chance they win.

And yea they are showing firefight today
I'm bummed they lost as well, but I didn't have a good feeling about them going all the way. Especially after how the bracket played out

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
They should have put semis on today. The final is going to be over so fast.

Caja 117

Now a days Pro is a term used loosely on amyone that plays in tournament, before Halo 4, a Pro was reserved for those players that played on a team that was in the top 16 (or 8, cant remember) seeds in MLG, any other was considered a Semi-pro.

Player were also given individual points based on their tournament success, and those points determined the team seeds, for example if ogre2 had 4000 points and decided to leave FB and create a new team with other players, the team seed was determined by the sum of those 4 players points.

Glass

They should have put semis on today. The final is going to be over so fast.

Yeah, and there's a ramp up time when it comes to audience numbers trickling in. Wonder how long the stream today is expected to last. There's going to be a bunch of stuff like WZ Firefight and hopefully some announcements I'm looking forward to.

XLEi app still isn't working for me. Edit: From the dashboard advert

Chittagong

Gold Member
Sign up for online tournaments and events, play as much as you can in team arena, get a champion rank, look around for teams/orgs looking for players, friend the pros and if you're good enough try and see if you can play with them.

I think because the Halo pro scene had been neglected so much after Halo 3, it's been hard for any new pros to break onto the scene. Even now most of the top players with the exception of a few have at least been playing pro Halo since 3 and Reach.

Sites like Gamebattles are another good option. If you are a champion and pro level player, you'll be matched up with pros in MM a lot of the time. Post sick plays on sites, make montage videos, anything to get your name out there.

That's fascinating, thanks! I have always wondered how it works. I guess the 'pro' bit means you can earn a living , from sponsors or competition prizes. Must be quite something.

singhr1

Yeah, and there's a ramp up time when it comes to audience numbers trickling in. Wonder how long the stream today is expected to last. There's going to be a bunch of stuff like WZ Firefight and hopefully some announcements I'm looking forward to.

XLEi app still isn't working for me. Edit: From the dashboard advert

The schedule says 2 hours long. Considering the matches are only like 4-15 min. long, there's gonna be a lot of excess stuff. Like why is Major Nelson and Blair Herter going to be on stream? What do they bring to the table for a day like today?

Welfare

I bought my spartan armoury pack and got the Osiris skin, and it kind of highlights the need for an inspect weapon added to the largely unused D pad.

The skin is fine, but is completely unreadable when your'e wielding it. Which wouldn't be a problem if you could inspect it.

There should also be a model viewer in the REQ section.

IHaveIce

Banned
There's gotta be some sort of surprise. Has to be... I just don't know otherwise why'd there'd only be one series.

Firefight will be shown, a new Warcraft trailer, probably season 2 stuff and some minor stuff I guess.

Don't expect huge announcements like a Halo Wars 2 trailer

Strider

oh i def don't expect anything huge. just something unexpected.

I'm def excited to hear some details for the upcoming pro league tho

Glass

Do you have to watch the finals on the Xbox or is twitch on pc enough to get the goodies?

It's all kind of ambigious, all thats been said on the broadcasts so far is to tune in today to find out exactly how to get it. So mayb you can with Twitch on a browse, but I'm guessing it's going to be easier/more instant to watch it via the XB Twitch app.

I am always curious why they won't hype up the tournament with some exclusive stuff. A Gears 4 MP reveal would fit, or Halo Wars 2. At least, we get Firefight, but I do not expect much.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Just in time to celebrate HWC finals, I reached the finest milestone in my Halo career to date. Finally managed to solo myself from Silver to Platinum!

I know it's not quite the Diamond or Onyx, but it's a massive deal for myself given how truly tough it has been to grind up.

I have been pitted against Diamond/Onyx maxed teams, I have been given a streak of 3K 16D team mates to carry, I have pushed through EU lag disadvantage, and I've endured team mates who quit at the first sight of a 0-6 start. And yet, I somehow, miraculously, crossed this mythical tier!

Glass

Took me $50 to get a 343i skin.

You're welcome.

I think most of the other 13 skins are going to be back in future content drops, but it'd be cool if the 343 skins were taken out from potential packs, just to keep them extra rare. This is coming from someone who won't be getting them this weekend.

Madness

I wish they didn't even offer the 343 skins. Keep it exclusive to studio staff only. For next game they should have a unique armor, emblem, weapon skin or other identifier just for themselves again. This way you know when you're playing against someone from 343.

I wish they didn't even offer the 343 skins. Keep it exclusive to studio staff only. For next game they should have a unique armor, emblem, weapon skin or other identifier just for themselves again. This way you know when you're playing against someone from 343.

You can identifie them through the emblem

klaus

There will be details on how to get the armor if you are not on the Xbox.

It's all kind of ambigious, all thats been said on the broadcasts so far is to tune in today to find out exactly how to get it. So mayb you can with Twitch on a browse, but I'm guessing it's going to be easier/more instant to watch it via the XB Twitch app.
Cheers, gonna hope it works - unfortunately can't watch it on console tonight.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Congrats! Platinum is no joke since they re-adjusted the ranks for this month, even more reason to be proud.

Thanks!!

Really weird, don't really know where to go from here since Platinum was what I always wanted - not casual anymore, but not hardcore either. I guess I'll just enjoy some relaxed games as I don't need to climb, and maybe break out to different modes. I always did view Slayer as the place to practice basic combat mechanics, before trying more advanced modes.

Top Bottom