• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

I'm studying Computer Science right now at university, but my interest in software development started when I discovered the modding community for Halo CE on PC many, many years ago.

The Forge PC announcement is really exciting for me because I'm sure it'll lead to the ability to script gametypes, maybe even modifying terrain and importing models.

The prospect of reliving those memories of developing Halo is thrilling to me.
Please make it happen 343!

So f2p H5 custom game edition for PC, damn tom French! Wonder if X1 f2p is coming and they will release forge edition, hw2 and x1 f2p all at the same time?

E3 announcement incoming?

Shitposting doesn't mean negative posts. I have no problem with positive posts either. But many of yours come across as "posting for the sake of posting". That's what I meant by shitposting. You don't get to singlehandedly being almost 1/8 of all posts in the thread by always *actually* having something to say.

No offense, but it gets to the point where I straight up gloss over yours nowadays.

The thread isn't gonna die because a few folks slow down a bit. Random posts are fine, but when it becomes a defining feature of posts, I'd say it's a legitimate criticism.

And who's asking for anyone to leave? Did I say I didn't like GOSU? I just noted an observation and suggested maybe taking a breath occasionally.

Nah, no worries. I try not to post, just to post. I mainly post cause this is kind of the only place i kind of can communicate with peeps who have the same interest. So sometimes i get off-topic or super un-funny sarcastic.

You have a good point, i should take a breather.

Fuchsdh

Don't worry about it GOSU, most everyone goes through phases. Downsides of a forum setup like GAF's is it pretty much encourages people to post even if they don't have anything to say.

On a vaguely "Halo on PC" related note, thought I should drop a link to the latest FUDcast. We talked with Masterz, the project lead behind SPV3, which is a really awesome remix and reimagining of the original CE campaign. If you have a PC you should definitely get hyped to play it.

7BzvHrO.png

And no I’m not purposely throwing games. I went from Diamond 6 (one game from Onyx) to almost Diamond 1 now.

Such riveting gameplay with the motion tracker. Run run run little red dot, run run run away from my little red dot.

I knew there was someone there, and I was determined to expose them. I saw the little red dot flicker, I went to check it out, slippery bastard almost got away lol. In this match I couldn't move anywhere. It was a team that began farming the group of randies I was on, and whenever I spawned I was dead. Even when I spawned in a spot I couldn't be seen, they still noticed my little red dot flicker and went to inspect. Without radar, I could make actual plays and get them the hell out of our base without them knowing my every move. So I have one message:

Radar Warriors, for wherever you hide, I will find you.​

EDIT:
Don't worry about it GOSU, most everyone goes through phases. Downsides of a forum setup like GAF's is it pretty much encourages people to post even if they don't have anything to say.

On a vaguely "Halo on PC" related note, thought I should drop a link to the latest FUDcast. We talked with Masterz, the project lead behind SPV3, which is a really awesome remix and reimagining of the original CE campaign. If you have a PC you should definitely get hyped to play it.
The amount of work put into this is remarkable, I'll try to keep an eye on it. Checking out the podcast now; nice intro and good audio quality :]

This is some sweet armor:

0ada31771abb787cc2c960fbae95d53d.png

BraXzy

He's got a point (and it's something I've been noticing too). Literally 1/5 of the thread is just GOSU and Braxzy. And 4/5 of GOSU posts are just shitposting.

I'm 1/10th of HaloGAF? :O

Ya'll need to put some respek on my name.

In actual Halo related talk, I'm super excited about Forge finally coming to PC. Very interested to see how the "mouse and keyboard support" actually ends up. It could be so easy and simple to use! I might actually get into Forge properly.

This is some sweet armor:

0ada31771abb787cc2c960fbae95d53d.png

Masters and CMT are all good people who do very good work and I've been following them for years but I've got to disagree I've always felt that the CMT/SPV1/2/3 armors have been super weak and generic looking.

It does nothing for me. I think chief looks Iconic and this destroys all of that. it looks bland. I dunno.

Fuchsdh

Masters and CMT are all good people who do very good work and I've been following them for years but I've got to disagree I've always felt that the CMT/SPV1/2/3 armors have been super weak and generic looking.

It does nothing for me. I think chief looks Iconic and this destroys all of that. it looks bland. I dunno.

I prefer OG Mk V but one thing he pointed out in our interview was that Halo CEA already exists, so it's pointless to try and compete with it. That gives a certain freedom to do their own thing.

I prefer OG Mk V but one thing he pointed out in our interview was that Halo CEA already exists, so it's pointless to try and compete with it. That gives a certain freedom to do their own thing.

Sure I get that, I've always felt however that CMT have sometimes been too liberal with the freedom they have. It's their mod and they can do as they please sure but personally If I was looking for a CE overhaul i'd prefer it to stick to canon.

Updated Chief model
Weapons from future games
Enemies from future games
Abilities and Equipment from future games
Maybe some restructuring of maps

That's the way I would have liked CMT to go.

Trup1aya

Such riveting gameplay with the motion tracker. Run run run little red dot, run run run away from my little red dot.

I knew there was someone there, and I was determined to expose them. I saw the little red dot flicker, I went to check it out, slippery bastard almost got away lol. In this match I couldn't move anywhere. It was a team that began farming the group of randies I was on, and whenever I spawned I was dead. Even when I spawned in a spot I couldn't be seen, they still noticed my little red dot flicker and went to inspect. Without radar, I could make actual plays and get them the hell out of our base without them knowing my every move. So I have one message:

Radar Warriors, for wherever you hide, I will find you.​

Seriously man, I'm 100% sure the ghost jump would have worked for you in both of these instances.

It also would have promptly taught both of these fools a lesson, about radar watching.

Seriously man, I'm 100% sure the ghost jump would have worked for you in both of these instances.

It also would have promptly taught both of these fools a lesson, about radar watching.
Maybe for the second clip, but these were competent players and I think you overrate ghost jumping. If I started to ghost jump in that first clip, the enemy would've had their shields back by the time I got to them. And in the second clip I was more making sure I wasn't going crazy lol. It's a good tactic for sure, but better when the enemy doesn't know you're there in the first place or is distracted by something else.

Trup1aya

Maybe for the second clip, but these were competent players and I think you overrate ghost jumping. If I started to ghost jump in that first clip, the enemy would've had their shields back by the time I got to them. And in the second clip I was more making sure I wasn't going crazy lol. It's a good tactic for sure, but better when the enemy doesn't know you're there in the first place or is distracted by something else.

In the first clip, The could play ring around the rosey with you because he could see your blip on the radar. He did not have line of sight on you as he rounded the ship. You could have ghost jumped counter clock around the ship, and he either would have stopped because he thought you were crouching, or run right into you.

You ran the bigger risk of him getting his shields by chasing, since he can sprint away, while you have to slow down to shoot at him.

After you laid those BR shots into him, you could have faked like you were going to run around the ship Counter-clockwise, then ghost jumped clockwise... he would have been screwed.

Fuchsdh

Sure I get that, I've always felt however that CMT have sometimes been too liberal with the freedom they have. It's their mod and they can do as they please sure but personally If I was looking for a CE overhaul i'd prefer it to stick to canon.

Updated Chief model
Weapons from future games
Enemies from future games
Abilities and Equipment from future games
Maybe some restructuring of maps

That's the way I would have liked CMT to go.

Well aside from Chief, they're basically doing all that.

I'm really exciting about the second half content, with maps featuring Alpha Base.

There's a Portuguese guy who has some inside info ( though he never shares anything ) who said that there will be more news about Halo on PC.
He's reliable. Though, this could be nothing special.

BizzyBum

Was Halo:CE and Halo 2 popular on PC?

I feel like Halo 5 or future Halo games wouldn't do that well on PC. It seems the only FPS' that do well on PC are CS:GO, TF2, and Battlefield. Probably Overwatch now, too.

Last page? I just scrolled up and it was on this page still. o/

My bad.

Still hype!

Totally teasing. Atleast now if were away from our xbox and some of us can hop on forge pc, we can get some customs going!? ..right?

So happy that this is free. Like anyone with a win10 pc can play custom games halo 5 on a pc. Make forge maps and share their creations with xbox one folks.

I didnt even dare to try forge with a controller, so now i might since there will be kb/m support.

Man im so happy about this announcement. :)

Trup1aya

Was Halo:CE and Halo 2 popular on PC?

I feel like Halo 5 or future Halo games wouldn't do that well on PC. It seems the only FPS' that do well on PC are CS:GO, TF2, and Battlefield. Probably Overwatch now, too.

neither of those games got proper releases in PC. The Halo CE port had performance issues Halo2 was exclusive to Vista, an OS that everyone hated.

I think a properly ported Halo would do well on PC. I think good games sell. And good games with strong brands are even better positioned to sell.

Obviously it wouldn't do Overwatch numbers, or be as large as the F2P games. But it could be a good look for the Win10 store, halo's population, and req income

If they ever implement ai scripting, i hope someone makes tower d. Or something like that. Some type of defense vs waves thats not warzone firefight.

Maybe have a customs browser like sc2/wc3? Lol... Yeah im getting way ahead of myself now...

Forge on Win10 = glory to 343. 4K support is a massive cherry on top. We know what is coming, just not when...Pack a X1 controller with Win10 copies of H5, job well done. Population for all regions.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Anyone having issues joining a party lobby? The game keeps telling me that there are issues with Halo 5's servers.

Trup1aya

As excited as am currently am about the prospects of Halo5 on PC, I can't over look this comments from Stinkles

I agree. However for folks wondering why we don't "just" port the whole game - realtalk:

While I personally believe it's an evergreen masterpiece of whimsy and wonder, it would be a year old by the time Forge released, and given the architecture, cloud, matchmaking, etc etc etc etc differences between platforms, it would be neither trivial to port, nor uncompromised in that process, given it was designed with targeted Xbox One perf in mind to begin with.

Both audiences deserve better than that, as you'll see with Halo Wars 2 onwards, which was designed with Xbox AND PC in mind from scratch and makes the most of each platform's relative strengths.

We knew there'd be latent demands for a full version of the game (as there have been since H2 on Vista), but neither the time nor the finances make sense this far along the calendar. Halo Wars 2 will be a more palatable and straightforward example of the fact that we take PC gaming very seriously as an organization and a studio.

I'm just gonna assume he's blowing smoke up our asses, and Halo5 PC has gone gold and will be launched during e3.

As excited as am currently am about the prospects of Halo5 on PC, I can't over look this comments from Stinkles

I'm just gonna assume he's blowing smoke up our asses, and Halo5 PC has gone gold and will be launched during e3.

Hey he knows more than us and I don't pretend to understand all tech behind making H5 even remotely...but from a logic standpoint if all customs/forge/MM/campaign are already using Azure for the console and now Forge/Customs goes to W10 that equates to all that tech is already running basically. Server/region selections, engine running on Win10 and more. To me it's just the matchmaking and REQ parts that would require porting.

A guess here but it sounds like Halo 5 has a ton of H4 tech left over.

It's interesting about the moving forward comments so I can understand if H5 doesn't get a full release but waiting until H6 for that population/community growth is going to painful it that's the case.

Sorry in advance for the rant, but I know the people mentioned actually read this thread, so...

Hey folks in my party just now: how about instead of bitching the whole time about dying fast off of spawn and blaming the game and talking over me every time I tried to explain the spawn system to you, you just make a decent callout that we can use to actually prevent the continued deaths being laid upon our team?

God, it was like playing with all of gaming side. Bunch of fucking bitching and complaining without having any knowledge of what you're talking about and then being willfully ignorant on top of that when your party-mates try to be helpful? Nope just repeat the same shit as your last life and expect a different result, then complain all over again. Fuckin' done for the night with that shit.

Sorry in advance for the rant, but I know the people mentioned actually read this thread, so...

Hey folks in my party just now: how about instead of bitching the whole time about dying fast off of spawn and blaming the game and talking over me every time I tried to explain the spawn system to you, you just make a decent callout that we can use to actually prevent the continued deaths being laid upon our team?

God, it was like playing with all of gaming side. Bunch of fucking bitching and complaining without having any knowledge of what you're talking about and then being willfully ignorant on top of that when your party-mates try to be helpful? Nope just repeat the same shit as your last life and expect a different result, then complain all over again. Fuckin' done for the night with that shit.

Wow, and I wasn't even there.

Haruko

Part of it was my brother, who isn't on here to read this, but I called him out privately after that Deadlock match. I was sick of it too. Sorry for the aggravation.

Anyways, the next few matches were better at least. Ended the night after this match ;

http://xboxclips.com/Haruko/eef80fa9-8f20-4544-8a63-a327b7c0c68d

Some Buckle Ups for the Company

Madness

Magnum SWAT remains the best SWAT.

Nope. Weakness of pistol feels more like trigger spam than actual skill at long distance. Love BR and DMR SWAT more. DMR SWAT Tyrant and Riptide is probably the worst two map iterations I have ever played.

I like all three but I am glad DMR SWAT has decreased SWATnums weight. Would prefer if they also experimented with Lightrifle or Carbine SWAT just for fun.

Nope. Weakness of pistol feels more like trigger spam than actual skill at long distance. Love BR and DMR SWAT more. DMR SWAT Tyrant and Riptide is probably the worst two map iterations I have ever played.

I like all three but I am glad DMR SWAT has decreased SWATnums weight. Would prefer if they also experimented with Lightrifle or Carbine SWAT just for fun.

I dunno, Magnums feels like there are actually reversals sometimes, and it's harder to just camp.

Ramirez

Magnum SWAT remains the best SWAT.

Well it's the only SWAT that isn't a game of who gets first sight on someone, so naturally it is better.

See what happens when you play with Mastrbiggy, guys??

See what happens when you play with Mastrbiggy, guys??

Yeah I'm sick of his shit at this point tbh.

@Haruko: Yeah, it was some him, but dark, kaos, etc. before that game didn't help either. Like our random that just kept getting on the mongoose was actually more helpful most of the time.

Madness

I dunno, Magnums feels like there are actually reversals sometimes, and it's harder to just camp.

Well it's the only SWAT that isn't a game of who gets first sight on someone, so naturally it is better.

I could see the argument where it is technically more who has the better gunplay skill with pistol. But point of SWAT has always been to mimic the twitch who sees who first game style. I think with thrust as well SWAT finallt gives you better defensive evasion mechanics. Tyrant is pretty much shot in the back spawn gameplay for SWAT but I think BR works best. But I can agree games can get campy with the longer range weapons.

Top Bottom