• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

BTM

Sitting at a 58% win in Slayer for this season right now.

Is this real life? ....

Gotta try and beat my highest placement of diamond 3. :D

Did I just jinx myself? :/

Edit:

Anyone have any stuttering issues lately? Like a frame skips or something?

Yep I just noticed this tonight in one game on Eden. Weird

Velikost

REQ question: I'm damn near the end of my Silver run, and I have started getting REQ points refunded, but I still have ~50 rare emblems to unlock. I was getting 2 1500 REQ packs and an emblem in the beginning, but now I can go with opening 5 silvers before I even get an emblem.

I don't know if I should just keep grinding it out and buying silvers, or say fuck it and just start Gold. I know some emblems are locked behind commendations but I don't know how many.

Karl2177

REQ question: I'm damn near the end of my Silver run, and I have started getting REQ points refunded, but I still have ~50 rare emblems to unlock. I was getting 2 1500 REQ packs and an emblem in the beginning, but now I can go with opening 5 silvers before I even get an emblem.

I don't know if I should just keep grinding it out and buying silvers, or say fuck it and just start Gold. I know some emblems are locked behind commendations but I don't know how many.

Start Golding

EDIT: You can see on this what emblems are tied to commendations.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...TCIGhKh2S8fwSQxwhreYsG0TWY/edit#gid=639058737

Madness

New season started. Gotta get my rank in for the next one. Haven't played much. Preorders for Battlefield 1, TitanFall 2 and Gears 4 still there too so who knows how much more H5 I can/will play.

New season started. Gotta get my rank in for the next one. Haven't played much. Preorders for Battlefield 1, TitanFall 2 and Gears 4 still there too so who knows how much more H5 I can/will play.

Man, this Fall is crammed full of good stuff. Titanfall 2, Battlefield 1, Gears 4, Infinite Warfare, Mankind Divided, Rise of Iron, Dishonored 2, Pokemon, South Park, and Dead Rising 4.

I haven't played since July 12. Unless the next update is really good I probably won't bother at all, or they could add
BTB pistol starts
and I'd play again.

OK I change my mind I don't want to see the world burn lol.

If you get REQ points back from a pack you are done with that tier. Emblems are lame and are often tied to commendations so you shouldn't care.

I feel the need to defend myself here, I joined some gaffers for some BTB games and I really sucked... I'm not a great player, but my k/d was woeful!
So I was in theatre mode to see how I got a Hail Mary nade kill (vid coming) from a BR shot and I noticed my shots on any moving target were trailing big time, not sure if hit detection is client side but that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Note- I'm in Australia, the server isn't.

I feel the need to defend myself here, I joined some gaffers for some BTB games and I really sucked... I'm not a great player, but my k/d was woeful!
So I was in theatre mode to see how I got a Hail Mary nade kill (vid coming) from a BR shot and I noticed my shots on any moving target were trailing big time, not sure if hit detection is client side but that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Note- I'm in Australia, the server isn't.

Theater is never accurate, don't worry about it.

Virdix

How many updates have there been to the game since the first month? It's making download 32.86GBs as an update. Was hoping to play a little tonight, guess I'll play tomorrow.

jem0208

RIP EOD

EOD_Helmet_Reach.jpg
EOD is in H5...

Theater is never accurate, don't worry about it.

yeah but it gives me an idea of what's happening to my shots on the server, and how much latency there is.
I have 100/40 fibre internet but on US servers it's a real struggle to compete, everything is smooth but it feels like I need to get more hits in to get kills.

still had a good time, might not get invited back however (plus my beeping smoke alarm gave everyone the shits).

anyway... here's a clip I just made from today.
this is a first for me, scored a hail mary medal without throwing a frag, check it out :)
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmI8x-cRgNghi9Ez0hPHGspBqTG0Ww

Mistel

Banned
My only real beef with Reach's gender dimorphism in the armors were that while the dude suits looked chunky as hell, the women were given these paper-thin profiles and huge asses most of the time. I think Halo 4 handled the actual bodies well even if some of the armors looked bizarre in how they contorted onto the lady Spartans (and as a result it seemed like the male suits were basically considered to be the "default"), but I think Halo 5 is a lot better about it. Even if some of the armor looks bad on the women, I've also noticed a bunch of suits I use look downright goofy on male Spartans, which - paired with the fact that the playable cast was split 50-50 gender-wise - makes me think several suits were designed using the female model as a base, which I definitely appreciate.

Honestly though, considering you can't even make out most of the gender-related details on the undersuits unless you're wearing the Goblin armor, I feel like they should just give us 2-3 body types to choose from and then make the gender of the voice a separate toggle. While I think the model for the women is definitely the best we've gotten so far in 5, it just feels kind of forced to me at this point that big bulky spartan body = male voice and slightly thinner but also competent body = female voice.

343 pls
As you say several sets like Goblin, Copperhead, Scout, and maybe Recon and Legionnaire do seem to have been designed on the female base model which is nice as they work well compared to others as they seem to take the model in to consideration when the armor is designed. I don't mind the dichotomy of body styles too much but more options wouldn't hurt much.
EOD is in H5...
Are you thinking of the version in H4?

jem0208

It's actually not. You might be confusing it with the Commando armor, which is from the same manufacturer, and evokes a similar design aesthetic.

Huh, I could’ve sworn it was. I must have been thinking of the H4 version...

On another note I think we need to organise a HaloGAF custom games session with this:

wTghvyR.gif

Jesus is there a thing forge can't do?

Probably BTB pistol starts.

I really should stop posting in that gaming side thread it's not good for my health.

TCKaos

Jesus is there a thing forge can't do?

Probably BTB pistol starts.

I really should stop posting in that gaming side thread it's not good for my health.

Asymmetrical Objective Gametypes, not that that hasn't stopped people from trying (WyvernZu is the hero we need).

I literally cant enjoy this game anymore.

Go into team arena/slayer, get matched against parties, literally 10% of teammates with mics speak a single word.
Go into BTB and have to play these shitty grey forge maps
Go into FFA and deal with some of the worst game play tactics i've ever seen (in b4 adapt)

RIP the stream dream

So, the higher you go in rank, the more people use the AR? I see people just spray around corners to see if the magnetism will hit you. huh?

I would think more people would choose precision battles like what i've been dealing with in my plat teir. hrrmmmmm.......

So, the higher you go in rank, the more people use the AR? I see people just spray around corners to see if the magnetism will hit you. huh?

I would think more people would choose precision battles like what i've been dealing with in my plat teir. hrrmmmmm.......

Yep, high level h5 has alot of automatics.

Trup1aya

No way.

Before Halo5arena reorganized the site it was apparent that AR use decreased with skill level.

At the lowest ranks AR made up for about 50% of kills while the pistol made up just 10%. At the highest ranks it was almost exactly opposite.

Perhaps higher skilled players just figured out how to uses it more efficiently? "Pre-shooting" corners is something I notice highly skilled players do often, and from a ammo conserving perspective, maybe it makes more sense to use the AR for that purpose.

Unless the meta has changed since then...

Yep, high level h5 has alot of automatics.

No way.

Before Halo5arena reorganized the site it was apparent that AR use decreased with skill level.

At the lowest ranks AR made up for about 50% of kills while the pistol made up just 10%. At the highest ranks it was almost exactly opposite.

Perhaps higher skilled players just figured out how to uses it more efficiently? "Pre-shooting" corners is something I notice highly skilled players do often, and from a ammo conserving perspective, maybe it makes more sense to use the AR for that purpose.

Unless the meta has changed since then...

Interestng. I've been playing with Focused on my last 20-30 games. I went from Plat 3 to Diamond 1 this weekend. yay! I was paired up with and against a lot of High Diamond and Onyx players. Mainly against. That felt pretty good with an even amount of Auto/Precision fights.

Now with the few games i've played while ranked Diamon 1, im playing against even higher folks than before. The expereinces there are a lot more AR use, espcially with team shooting. like the TTK is lower than if they all just pistoled you or something, idk.

Maybe when i get a little higher, i will see the trend to be more leaning toward precision fights. I just love out-gunning someone with skill.

fernoca

I couldn't afford the 6 crates subscription at once, so opted for individual ones.

Hopefully the other figurines will be cool too.

I have the money for the 6 crates but it's on my bank account and Paypal will take 2 or 4 days to get it, also I don't have a credit card and I have asked tons of people for help I got nothing

Edit: wait looks like I found someone

Maybe, but rushing out Halo games has never really been something Microsoft does.

Besides, we know that, like Bungie, 343i has multiple development teams. They're not all working on Halo 5's DLC, or Halo 6, or Halo 3 Anniversary. They've got multiple teams who are working on different projects in-studio. The A-team might be working on Halo 6, while a B-team focuses on H3A, and an even smaller multiplayer team focuses on new reqs and maps.

That's how development studios function, after all. Let's say Treyarch releases a Call of Duty game. Now the A-team gets to work brainstorming the next title while another, smaller team works on maintaining the multiplayer climate and releasing new DLC maps and whatnot.

TL;DR, 343i likely has teams working on both Halo 6 and Halo 3A.

i'm well aware, but with that in mind it still doesn't preclude the pros from being called in to do early early play-tests on H6 game mechanics.

but just cloud-wandering with that suggestion, it's much more likely something H3A or H5 maps related i rightly admit.

FyreWulff

I'd more expect them to issue a new update for the MCC that adds a hi-res texture pack or something for H3.

I think they've run out of processing room to do the whole switching thing. With H1 and 2 at least you had the advantage that both those games had to run on a single thread, so you can have other 5 threads handling the layered-on future graphics engine. Halo 3 expects 6 hardware threads, the One (and PS4) only have 8, so they're quite literally out of threads to run dual engines.. so that's why I'd more expect an option that shines up H3 as it is.

Unless used as an excuse for MCC on PC it wouldn't make sense (which I've given up hope on)

and/or this.

wwm0nkey

I still think the "no older titles" on Windows 10 thing is the dumbest stuff ever. MCC +Halo 5 (not just Forge) would have done good things that store front. At least do the campaigns.

I literally cant enjoy this game anymore.

Go into team arena/slayer, get matched against parties, literally 10% of teammates with mics speak a single word.
Go into BTB and have to play these shitty grey forge maps
Go into FFA and deal with some of the worst game play tactics i've ever seen (in b4 adapt)

RIP the stream dream
It reaches a point where you load up Halo 5 and sit there for a few minutes deciding what experience you want. As a solo player, you can:
-Get farmed in Warzone
-Get bodied in Arena by teams
-Play Infection/Grifball

I can't even go into BTB anymore without playing against people who set up and try to obliterate the other team. Everyone tries so hard when sometimes I just want to drive around like a madman, but when you decide to try back then you must accept a different style of play. You need to be defensive, you need to pop-shot, you need to not give away freebies.

Then there's the issue of quitters, disconnects and griefers.. Halo can be miserable sometimes, but I think a lot of that can be fixed by creating a system to coincide with matchmaking. A system where you can play what you want, when you want. A custom games browser.

Vote for the change Halo needs. Never stop fighting. Never give up hope. Thank you all.

Top Bottom