• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Mistel

Banned
Anyway want to get back on the Halo 5 run again, but I really don't like how so many of the maps added to the arena side of the game are just forge world stuff. I'm not super fond of 343's art team (they somehow suck all the personality out of Halo in comparison to Bungie), but I'd like good maps that also look a bit more consistent and professional at the same time? No disrespect to the forge community, but didn't they pimp this game out with how many free maps we would get. I feel like a lot of those free maps are forge stuff, which should obviously be free.
Plus with them being recreations / inspired by previous maps they really don't deal with the increased range of combat very well. Altar works alright but the Valhalla remakes seems to have all the issues Ragnarok had minus four's specific issues.

TCKaos

Halo 6's subtitle revealed!

Light & Sound

Is that the spin off of Lanzador de Plasma?
plasma_blaster.jpg

Anyone remember launch window Halo Reach Blood Gulch with the Scorpions? Good times. Even with how the rest of the vehicles becoming coffins in their own way, they basically made that map anti-fun as fuck thanks to the Scorpion. Not that I didn't pad the stats and get my instant running riot for pressing right trigger, and basically nothing else, but you know, it was still bullshit.

I just wanted to join in on the complaining ; D

Nothing was worse than a dipshit randy getting to it first and instantly blowing the game for your team.

Is that the spin off of Lanzador de Plasma?

That little kid in the corner is obviously standing on a pile of mangle corpses.

The designs need a complete overhaul in my opinion. I want to feel like I'm in a full body suit of armor, not what we currently have where it's just a black undersuit with armor plates floating on top.

Less material/fabric and more M E T A L
\m/ (>.<) \m/

People don't like change.

S H O C K E R

Thruster is my favorite addition by far, it creates so many new gameplay possibilities and honestly, it's just fun to get around the maps using it. Really lends itself to the jet-fighter aspect of the Spartans.

shit, even I LIKE thruster... whats that tell you?

SKINS

SKINS
ARE
GROUPED
PER
HELMET

WHY WASNT THIS INCLUDED

For the Illusion of "More" content

TCKaos

Halo Reach armor was the best imo. Wish they'd go back to that.

Even Black Ops 3 knows that Reach had the best designs in the franchise.

D9IudK0.png

But yeah, the main issue is that the SPARTAN-IIIs in Reach looked like soldiers - like military ordnance. Most of the throwaway designs in Halo 4 and 5 look like cars. The chest pieces all look like front bumpers and everything is way too smooth and streamlined. Anything that isn't that exact aesthetic is either a busy, jagged mess or an updated design from earlier in the series.

This one belongs in a military unit:

This one belongs on a race track or on a paintball field:

I'd actually be really interested in seeing data for the percentage of players that use any given piece of armor given that they have unlocked that piece of armor. Who the fuck is wearing Nomad or Seeker vs Mark VI or Nightfall? That should help inform the sort of designs they want to be shooting for.

I don't think I've seen a single player wearing Raider armor. Not one. Or Scanner, now that I think about it.

Even Black Ops 3 knows that Reach had the best designs in the franchise.

D9IudK0.png

But yeah, the main issue is that the SPARTAN-IIIs in Reach looked like soldiers - like military ordnance. Most of the throwaway designs in Halo 4 and 5 look like cars. The chest pieces all look like front bumpers and everything is way too smooth and streamlined. Anything that isn't that exact aesthetic is either a busy, jagged mess or an updated design from earlier in the series.

This one belongs in a military unit:

This one belongs on a race track or on a paintball field:

I'd actually be really interested in seeing data for the percentage of players that use any given piece of armor given that they have unlocked that piece of armor. Who the fuck is wearing Nomad or Seeker vs Mark VI or Nightfall? That should help inform the sort of designs they want to be shooting for.

I don't think I've seen a single player wearing Raider armor. Not one. Or Scanner, now that I think about it.

I miss Reach armor

Akai__

So, 343i appareantly invited pros to the studio. One player from each team is what Lethul is saying.

Testing a new map and maybe some gametype(s)?

I mean, it's almost Grimoire Card-tier so I can understand if people haven't seen it, but a couple of the armor descriptions specifically mention that the GEN2 suits have become a commodity. The tech has become (relatively) inexpensive enough that the undersuit is actually behind most of the wizardry of the Spartan-IVs even down to the damage resistance, whereas the armor is mainly slapped on top for ancillary functions that pertain to that specific task, which is, y'know, why they have separate armor permutations. It's the undersuits of the GEN2 armor that are pulling most of the punches the GEN1 suits required entire armor sets to accomplish. Compare:

Spartan-Is: MOM DO YOU HAVE MY CHARGER
Spartan-IIs: one-of-a-kind, cost as much to manufacture as much as a small starship, were originally outfitted with groundbreaking (and unknown and highly expensive) technology that meant that they were major assets in military campaigns, and were pretty much made into war machines with no functional purpose beyond being military implements
Spartan-IIIs: were given slightly more autonomy, but only because they were made to be cheaper and highly expendible in hopes of initiating pivots in the war without having to spend as much time and money on them as the Spartan-IIs were (read: the Spartan-IIs had the power of love, the IIIs did not, and that's basically the only difference)
Spartan-IVs: Spartan tech is so commodified that it can more or less replace ODST and special forces divisions, and things are so understood at this point because reasons that privatized companies are capable of producing their own armor and assets

Spartan-IIs and IIIs had militaristic-looking armor which also functioned as armor because they were military assets and nothing else. Spartan-IVs can look like paintball troopers, military assets, olympic robots with tasteful sports bras or sports cars with legs because they're the Arduino chip of Spartan programs. You still have monstrous-looking suits with the Spartan-IV armors like Centurion, Helljumper, Hunter and Security, they just don't dominate the suit architecture the way they used to. It's less "KIDS THESE DAYS AND MUH SPACE DIAPER" and more "Halo 3 needed 10 suits of armor and Halo 5 has nearly 300 and you can't scale 'Mark VI except not!' across 30x as many suits as reliably".

I mean, it's almost Grimoire Card-tier so I can understand if people haven't seen it, but a couple of the armor descriptions specifically mention that the GEN2 suits have become a commodity. The tech has become (relatively) inexpensive enough that the undersuit is actually behind most of the wizardry of the Spartan-IVs even down to the damage resistance, whereas the armor is mainly slapped on top for ancillary functions that pertain to that specific task, which is, y'know, why they have separate armor permutations. It's the undersuits of the GEN2 armor that are pulling most of the punches the GEN1 suits required entire armor sets to accomplish. Compare:

Spartan-Is: MOM DO YOU HAVE MY CHARGER
Spartan-IIs: one-of-a-kind, cost as much to manufacture as much as a small starship, were originally outfitted with groundbreaking (and unknown and highly expensive) technology that meant that they were major assets in military campaigns, and were pretty much made into war machines with no functional purpose beyond being military implements
Spartan-IIIs: were given slightly more autonomy, but only because they were made to be cheaper and highly expendible in hopes of initiating pivots in the war without having to spend as much time and money on them as the Spartan-IIs were (read: the Spartan-IIs had the power of love, the IIIs did not, and that's basically the only difference)
Spartan-IVs: Spartan tech is so commodified that it can more or less replace ODST and special forces divisions, and things are so understood at this point because reasons that privatized companies are capable of producing their own armor and assets

Spartan-IIs and IIIs had militaristic-looking armor which also functioned as armor because they were military assets and nothing else. Spartan-IVs can look like paintball troopers, military assets, olympic robots with tasteful sports bras or sports cars with legs because they're the Arduino chip of Spartan programs. You still have monstrous-looking suits with the Spartan-IV armors like Centurion, Helljumper, Hunter and Security, they just don't dominate the suit architecture the way they used to. It's less "KIDS THESE DAYS AND MUH SPACE DIAPER" and more "Halo 3 needed 10 suits of armor and Halo 5 has nearly 300 and you can't scale 'Mark VI except not!' across 30x as many suits as reliably".

SPARTAN branch is that. a branch of the military, so the armor should look like military assets (at least) and not something that the 405th slapped together.

So, 343i appareantly invited pros to the studio. One player from each team is what Lethul is saying.

Testing a new map and maybe some gametype(s)?

I hope so. With the exception of Stasis Flag, we've just been playing the maps from launch.

I want Assault back in competitive even though the pros will be resistant to it. But most of them didn't even TRY the most recent Assault Preview 343 put up a month or so ago. Which was actually quite fun

Fuchsdh

We back boys

slLmVpw.jpg

Time to get some bronze and silver packs so I can get my hands on the Raijin and Atlas armor sets I missed out on.

Enjoy Quantum Break, was a great game to me (liked Alan Wake, but apparently I'm in the minority that preferred QB to AW.)

Also, enjoy the sexy white box. Never understood the people that prefer black.

SPARTAN branch is that. a branch of the military, so the armor should look like military assets (at least) and not something that the 405th slapped together.

You know what other "military assets" lend their existence to the development of militarily-funded technology?

Radio and other forms of wireless communication implements always had this sort of menacing, "tank-with-legs" type of look to them. Just look at...
BN-NF598_ptech0_H_20160323105214.jpg

wait.

Chlorine has its origins in military, so you better believe technology related to it is the spitting image of the military industrial complex, I mean, just take this-
NA3394_2-Med.jpg

no, wait, I, uh...

Interchangeable parts are one of the major reasons modern military can exist, and you know good and well the war machine wouldn't look like anything other than a piece of Isaac Hannaford concept art-
latest

well, fuck.

Suits like Mark VI can coexist with walking Lamborghini Aventadors and powered gym outfits. There's no one "right way" for military technology to look.

Mistel

Banned
Halo Reach armor was the best imo. Wish they'd go back to that.
I miss Reach armor
I do as well there was the large amount of customisation and like TCKaos says it actually looked liked it belonged in a war zone even the credit system was less of a hassle than the grind for REQs.
Given the impression I've got from the armor in 5 a lot of the sets don't seem to fit the female model very well if at all and seem to float above their chest it looks so bizarre. I've basically just put on the Legionnaire armor as its the only one I have that doesn't float there weirdly I remember this never really being an issue at all in Reach at all.
Shout-out to the Reach JFO helmet:
185px-Jfo.jpg
I miss JFO plus it sort of made sense looking like that given its role. MP is another rather unsung helmet too:
HESA_E_MP.jpg

Given the impression I've got from the armor in 5 a lot of the sets don't seem to fit the female model very well if at all and seem to float above their chest it looks so bizarre. I've basically just put on the Legionnaire armor as its the only one I have that doesn't float there weirdly I remember this never really being an issue at all in Reach at all.

My only real beef with Reach's gender dimorphism in the armors were that while the dude suits looked chunky as hell, the women were given these paper-thin profiles and huge asses most of the time. I think Halo 4 handled the actual bodies well even if some of the armors looked bizarre in how they contorted onto the lady Spartans (and as a result it seemed like the male suits were basically considered to be the "default"), but I think Halo 5 is a lot better about it. Even if some of the armor looks bad on the women, I've also noticed a bunch of suits I use look downright goofy on male Spartans, which - paired with the fact that the playable cast was split 50-50 gender-wise - makes me think several suits were designed using the female model as a base, which I definitely appreciate.

Honestly though, considering you can't even make out most of the gender-related details on the undersuits unless you're wearing the Goblin armor, I feel like they should just give us 2-3 body types to choose from and then make the gender of the voice a separate toggle. While I think the model for the women is definitely the best we've gotten so far in 5, it just feels kind of forced to me at this point that big bulky spartan body = male voice and slightly thinner but also competent body = female voice.

343 pls

Well, 2017 is Halo 3's 10th anniversary, so if we wind up getting that remaster, you'll be able to enjoy classic movement in Halo 3's really weird multiplayer sandbox.

they could also be play testing halo 6 stuffs... couldn't they?

one would assume they've been in production for it for awhile now, no?

Got ranked Diamond 1 in Slayer. Highest ranking I've ever gotten in any playlist. Feels good man.

yeah, feel you bro.

got ranked diamond 3 after placements this season, although i've had shitty team / quitters / lag luck ever since and haven't been able to push up to diamond 5 as per previous season [when i'd place in freaking gold to begin with].

edit: also, if anyone wants to play pirates, friend request me - GT is DrDecoy, that shit looks fun.

god forbid i want my supersoldiers to look like fucking soldiers.

I dig some of the new armors, but I kinda lean more this way as well. I miss the militaristic style of the older games compared to the "sports car" look. Especially when games like Titanfall, COD, Deus ex, and the like fully embrace it (so long as you ignore the neon skins and dabbing in Blops3, fuck that noise)

yeah, feel you bro.

got ranked diamond 3 after placements this season, although i've had shitty team / quitters / lag luck ever since and haven't been able to push up to diamond 5 as per previous season [when i'd place in freaking gold to begin with].

edit: also, if anyone wants to play pirates, friend request me - GT is DrDecoy, that shit looks fun.
assume nothing. you'll never be disappointed

Maybe, but rushing out Halo games has never really been something Microsoft does.

Besides, we know that, like Bungie, 343i has multiple development teams. They're not all working on Halo 5's DLC, or Halo 6, or Halo 3 Anniversary. They've got multiple teams who are working on different projects in-studio. The A-team might be working on Halo 6, while a B-team focuses on H3A, and an even smaller multiplayer team focuses on new reqs and maps.

That's how development studios function, after all. Let's say Treyarch releases a Call of Duty game. Now the A-team gets to work brainstorming the next title while another, smaller team works on maintaining the multiplayer climate and releasing new DLC maps and whatnot.

TL;DR, 343i likely has teams working on both Halo 6 and Halo 3A.

Suits like Mark VI can coexist with walking Lamborghini Aventadors and powered gym outfits. There's no one "right way" for military technology to look.

There's a difference between military-derived technology and actual military technology. While there's no real "right" way for something to look militaristic, for it to look right artistically, it should look fairly practical to a laymen. Weapons should like they should do damage somehow, and armor should, you know, look like it armors something. Halo 4/5 armor simply doesn't do this very well with the huge gaps, floaty pieces, and general nonsensical messiness.

The in-universe explanation is silly poo-poo garbage, but so is sending in infantry when you have kilometer-long spaceships in the first place. It's a video game, so whatever.

I strongly suspect the real reason the armor is the way it is is to make it much easier to model and animate. Practical interlocking armor would be a pain to animate properly. If you changed the geometry of the armor around the joints you'd often have to re-do animations. Keeping armor in chunks well away from joints makes it much easier to swap out different armor sets and keep it looking right across animations.

Armor/undersuit colors are probably set for gameplay reasons. You simply need to make damn sure players stand out from the background, and that their team color is super-ultra obvious for all the scrublords in the world. You're never going to get anything that looks militaristic in a modern sense with requirements like that.

And since the color is so overpowering, you can't really tell armor apart easily, which makes the variety they give you pretty pointless. That's just not-great planning.

Sitting at a 58% win in Slayer for this season right now.

Is this real life? ....

Gotta try and beat my highest placement of diamond 3. :D

Did I just jinx myself? :/

Edit:

Anyone have any stuttering issues lately? Like a frame skips or something?

Top Bottom