• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Yeah I'm not sure what you want those players to do. If they have a team of 8, should they be barred from playing the playlists that support large teams? It's not their fault you are playing big team solo. Party matching would be a start, but that can only go so far depending on the playlist population. You can't give them 10 minute wait times. Realistically, if you care enough to get a full team together, you likely will be winning most games. Except for GAF full teams. We suck.

Yeah I'm not sure what you want those players to do. If they have a team of 8, should they be barred from playing the playlists that support large teams? It's not their fault you are playing big team solo. Party matching would be a start, but that can only go so far depending on the playlist population. You can't give them 10 minute wait times. Realistically, if you care enough to get a full team together, you likely will be winning most games. Except for GAF full teams. TCKaos sucks.
Ftfy

Bruh whoever told me to get silver packs was wrong because I got so many ultra rares today despite missing a fair few uncommons and rares. I got the Fotus helmet! And the entire Wetwork set! My luck today was fantastic.

Agreed, I was invited to a fireteam who just play warezone on Australian servers and demolish randoms all day/night.
I refuse to do that, I'm not into winning enough to play like that

Gusinator and co? Yeah their WZ party is vicious AF and not fun to play with or against. Not much has changed since H3 days with that group.

literally the only thing I feel could improve forge is the ability to add NPC enemies. some of the most fun I've had with games like far cry 3 was just tooling around with the scenario creator and then seeing if I can clear out all the enemies in my level with just the resources that I provided myself.

I'd like Forge for WZ or campaign, imagine mini missions made from the community. A Master Chief Maker if you will. There's plenty of ways Forge can improve, it's fantastic what they've been doing but plenty of ideas left is all I mean.

Master Chief has blessed my channel! :D

Looks like a solid channel, congrats on breaking 117,000 mate.

Very jealous of your success man, congrats.

The niche of the Mexican HalO community was such a great thing to tap into, you're doing good work.
I only hope I can parallel that success one day D:

Thanks a lot man I appreciate it, it really means a lot to me :')

Do you also have a Youtube channel?

Gusinator and co? Yeah their WZ party is vicious AF and not fun to play with or against. Not much has changed since H3 days with that group.

there are a couple of fireteams like Osiris and Anzac but they all roll together so the only time they come up against decent competition is when they match themselves.

when they play against randoms they use their co-ordinated strats so they will attack the other armory then pin you in the base where they rack up the kills, the big reqs come in and half your team quits... the core is only hit by crossfire.

I don't see the point, every game is the same shit... it can't be fun.

Ade

so I tossed a sticky grenade into the grav lift on coliseum and it glitched or something, the sticky stayed alive in there and was making this loud noise... A minute later I'm sniping from red cave and someone stepped on it as they lifted, got the kill along with the stuck medal.

Probably common knowledge but I haven't seen that before.

Not a glitch, you can sticky trap grav lifts.

I've never qualified for any tier

I haven't placed in ranked playlists for the past two months. Somehow I still got my emblem for June/July, though. I guess it's because I played ten matches across all ranked playlists; seems you don't have to actually qualify for any tier to receive the season REQ pack.

jem0208

What's the point of limited ammo with the spawn/loadout weapons? Would it make the game any worse if you had infinite ammo (with reloads obviously) in your pistol and AR?

jem0208

weapon loop and player movement

Does running out of ammo ever really encourage those though?

How often do you pick up a weapon in lieu of your pistol because it's running out of ammo?

H5 is so fast that you're never going to be in one spot long enough that ammo becomes an issue.

I'm mostly talking about arena by the way, in Warzone it's obviously quite different.

FyreWulff

I haven't played Halo 5 that much but at least in the previous games, running out of ammo means you need to move around the map to collect the dropped ammo from the people you kill to be able to keep controlling the map, which means you give the other team a chance to push back when you go through the weapon loop to replenish, even if it's not as hard a loop as the power weapon ones.

which is why I was irritated by Valhalla BR starts, because map spawn BRs were on top of the hill so you never had to leave the hill and come down and replenish.

unlimited ammo would result in people getting to the best spots and being able to sit back and ping forever, or use saturation fire endlessly (which is what I would do if I had unlimited backpack ammo, it would always be optimal to do suppressive fire constantly). You would have to push up reload times and push down clip size to accomodate unlimited reserve ammo.

jem0208

I haven't played Halo 5 that much but at least in the previous games, running out of ammo means you need to move around the map to collect the dropped ammo from the people you kill to be able to keep controlling the map, which means you give the other team a chance to push back when you go through the weapon loop to replenish, even if it's not as hard a loop as the power weapon ones.

which is why I was irritated by Valhalla BR starts, because map spawn BRs were on top of the hill so you never had to leave the hill and come down and replenish.

Yeah, I can see your point with the other Halos.

There's not much emphasise of setups with 5 though, it's heavily based on rotations and collapsing. Even the more setup heavy gametypes like Rig Stongholds have players constantly moving to have eyes on different angles. Limiting the player's ammo isn't really going to encourage any extra movement.

I don't think it's really a negative either by the way, it's just something I was thinking about.

Edit: Yeah, suppression fire would become more prevalent which could be an issue. I wonder whether making only the pistol have unlimited ammo would have much of an effect on the game.

wwm0nkey

Sounds like Halo 5 Forge for Windows 10 is going to be coming out pretty soon.
j40Un3p.jpg

ShutterMunster

I feel like every time I jump onto Halo 5 there's a new map to learn! Played Meltdown for the first time last night, real fun. I love seeing the retro weapons on the map.

I also played some infection, which is still super fun!
Gs7WSIW.gif

HTupolev

The UI looks fine and it’s perfectly usable
Not that it's a catastrophe or that I'd expect an update, but there's a huuuuuuuuge amount of room for improvement. Heirarchy in the Halo 5 menu is very inconsistent for no apparent reason, and there are lots of instances where you simply can't navigate with buttons that you intuitively should be able to, the most notable example of this being how you can't use both left/right and A/B to navigate horizontal trees.

MCC has some of the same issues. It also has some mind-boggling sillinesses, like when you're navigating down to a level select; it shows the levels below as if you could drop the cursor straight onto them, but when you try to do so, it loads a totally different interface.

tl;dr Spending even a moment in Reach's menus highlights a huge number of things that its successors should do better.

jem0208

Not that it's a catastrophe or that I'd expect an update, but there's a huuuuuuuuge amount of room for improvement. Heirarchy in the Halo 5 menu is very inconsistent for no apparent reason, and there are lots of instances where you simply can't navigate with buttons that you intuitively should be able to, the most notable example of this being how you can't use both left/right and A/B to navigate horizontal trees.

MCC has some of the same issues. It also has some mind-boggling sillinesses, like when you're navigating down to a level select; it shows the levels below as if you could drop the cursor straight onto them, but when you try to do so, it loads a totally different interface.

tl;dr Spending even a moment in Reach's menus highlights a huge number of things that its successors should do better.

I dunno, I have no problems with the horizontal tree navigation. Although left/right would marginally improve it. How would A/B navigation help?

Since we were talking about it earlier anyways, on the subject of unlimited ammo (with reloads) I'm at a bit of a loss as for how to handle weapon drops / etc. in the thing I'm working on. Not programming-wise, but in terms of going with a Halo model of dropping your equipped weapons versus going in a different direction. I'll have to write some stuff out this weekend.

HTupolev

I dunno, I have no problems with the horizontal tree navigation. Although left/right would marginally improve it. How would A/B navigation help?
Huh? There's already lots of A/B navigation.

The point is that it's more fluid because everything that should work just does, doubly so if I'm doing something like eating a sandwich while navigating the menus and don't want to have to worry about controller location and comfortable single-handed grip. Stuff like this isn't ultimately a big deal, but I miss it when it's gone.

Top Bottom