• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

I actually prefer the seek and destroy PVE more than Reach's FF, that grew stale after you find out where to holdout on a map.

Daily and monthly challenges were okay, I don't consider them content though, just a way to arbitrarily pad out the game.

Gametypes and playlists are definitely an area where Halo 5 needs to improve. Though headhunter and stockpile were both trash, I feel the overall quality is better in 5.

Agreed on customization, 5's customization is over saturated with variants that are similar to one another, that you can't even see in game due to fidelity. There's also armor that's just plain ugly, such as Scanner, Decimator, etc...I think Halo 5's environmental art is fine, but Armor looks bad for the most part.

Does Halo 5 have more than 1 decent map? Yes, so it beats out Reach's map pool by default.

Headhunters was amazing! GOAT mode!

I also really miss Invasion. I'd rather had Invasion than WZ. Seriously, fuck WZ, easily one of my least favorite things about Halo 5.

The things Halo 5 does better are gameplay, ranked, and probably maps.
Does it, though?
  • No party matching
  • Frequent quitters/disconnects
  • No consideration for individual skill beyond placement matches despite no party matching and frequent quitters/disconnects
  • Radar
Reach Arena was decent, but weighing the differences I can't say which was better. There are fundamental issues with H5's ranking system in my opinion, not only in the above, but also issues of having low ranks play against Onyx+ players and seemingly incorrect placings after the 10 placement matches.

Ranked Halo has always sucked, sometimes due to the nature of the systems or just because of extraneous issues like players griefing (ie: H2 standby, H3/H5 smurf accounts, etc.).
Is it just me or is the Warzone Assault playlist completely dead?
I had this issue a couple of nights ago, couldn't find a single game. Switched to Firefight and immediately found a game. Haven't tried it since.

Does it, though?
  • No party matching
  • Frequent quitters/disconnects
  • No consideration for individual skill beyond placement matches despite no party matching and frequent quitters/disconnects
  • Radar
Reach Arena was decent, but weighing the differences I can't say which was better. There are fundamental issues with H5's ranking system in my opinion, not only in the above, but also issues of having low ranks play against Onyx+ players and seemingly incorrect placings after the 10 placement matches.

Ranked Halo has always sucked, sometimes due to the nature of the systems or just because of extraneous issues like players griefing (ie: H2 standby, H3/H5 smurf accounts, etc.).

I had this issue a couple of nights ago, couldn't find a single game. Switched to Firefight and immediately found a game. Haven't tried it since.

I never really had a problem until there was a population drop. When the game first came out and the first few months, ranked was great for me. However, once the pop got smaller that's when I started to run into issues. I think H5 ranking system is decent enough, however I put the blame on the population more than anything. You never really hear about the lower ranks complaining. It's only when you get to the higher ranks, when the population starts to become an issue.

So what was that about Frankie saying hundreds of thousands of players daily, or something like that? Can anyone clear that up because there's still this notion that Halo 5's population is small?

jem0208

So what was that about Frankie saying hundreds of thousands of players daily, or something like that? Can anyone clear that up because there's still this notion that Halo 5's population is small?

That could still be completely true. If you had 200'000 uniques a day, each of which played for 1 hour then you'd have an average of ~8300 at any given time.

Halo 5 has the highest number of active players since Halo 3.

However, they all must be playing WZ or some shit because I don't see it. I constantly see the same players when I play Arena.

Welfare

That could still be completely true. If you had 200'000 uniques a day, each of which played for 1 hour then you'd have an average of ~8300 at any given time.
That was just an example but the numbers are much higher than that. Like right now, compared to how far behind Halo 5 is behind BF4 (4 spots) it probably has ~35k on right now. Halo 5 probably averages close to 700k or 800k people every 24 hours, but those people get on and off at completely differently times.

belushy

Banned
I'm going to run custom games on Halo 5 PC. I see it as a good way to warm up for ranked matches, so it'll consist of competitive maps + traditional gametypes.

Developer Maps in rotation:
Eden
Empire
Truth
Regret
Mercy
Fathom
Coliseum
Stasis
Plaza
The Rig
Tyrant

Forge Maps:
Sentinel
Seclusion
Excalibur
Loading Zone
Pantheon
Fullmetal
Simplex
Skyline
High Citadel
Resolute
Reconciled

Game Types:

CTF, Assault, Oddball, Slayer and Strongholds.

Sounds great!

edit: I'm gonna try and run a few HCS lobbies with M&KB pretty frequently.

jem0208

That was just an example but the numbers are much higher than that. Like right now, compared to how far behind Halo 5 is behind BF4 (4 spots) it probably has ~35k on right now. Halo 5 probably averages close to 700k or 800k people every 24 hours, but those people get on and off at completely differently times.

Oh yeah, I was just using an extreme example to show that the average concurrent population could be very low even with hundreds of thousands playing daily.

I'm so pumped, haven is by far my fav halo 4 map and one of the best in the series imo, hopefully it works in halo 5.

And forge is so close!

So much good!!

Ryde3

Checking in for the new maps and I'm not exactly mad at a Haven remake, it's a great map but... if it's not a remix it's a remake huh?

However, they all must be playing WZ or some shit because I don't see it. I constantly see the same players when I play Arena.

Do you back out to the arena playlist screen after a match or just sit in that lobby waiting for the timer to tick down before it searches for another? Because if you just sit in that lobby you're going to significantly increase your chances of matching up with the same people if you don't back out because most people(especially To3 or 4) don't back out. I back out after every game and I almost always get a new group of onyx players.

I'm so pumped, haven is by far my fav halo 4 map and one of the best in the series imo, hopefully it works in halo 5.

And forge is so close!

So much good!!
It worked well in Halo 4, especially with thruster. Now that Halo 5 has mid air course-correction thanks to thruster/stabilizer/clamber, it'll play better because there should be less suicides and route opportunities.

I'm looking forward to it :]

shouldn't you be though? considering it matchmakes based on location and skill level, the actual pool of players you'll be eligible to be grouped with will be rather small.

[i also play with the same peeps quite often it seems]

Mistel

Banned
Does Halo 5 have more than 1 decent map? Yes, so it beats out Reach's map pool by default.
Reach has far better BTB maps though like Abridged, Mt Lam Lam, Utopie, Ridgeline (plus variants) and Montana Gambit. 5 has what Altar or Basin but a lot of them just don't work at all like Viking its got the same issues as Ragnarok.
You're crazy if you think they're going to add a custom games browser to Halo 5 at this point.

Maybe Halo 7.
I'm pretty much with Funk on this one I doubt it'd happen but it'd be nice.

Temple is analogous to Prospect. Prospect was a Warzone map built specifically for Assault, it shares the setting with Ghosts of Meridian, however the geometry is entirely different. Temple shares Attack on Sanctum's Sanhelios setting as well, but again it's different geometry. We didn't see Prospect in Firefight, I'm guessing Temple will be no different, Assault only.

Reach has far better BTB maps though like Abridged, Mt Lam Lam, Utopie, Ridgeline (plus variants) and Montana Gambit. 5 has what Altar or Basin but a lot of them just don't work at all like Viking its got the same issues as Ragnarok.
I wouldn't even consider Alter or Basin to be good maps. Guillotine, Scavenger, Eagle Square and Boulevard are all pretty great though. Also, Reach had the same problem of cross mapping that's in 5 currently. Hemorrhage was bad in Reach's sandbox. Viking could be salvaged with Pistol starts. Avalanche or Sidewinder would still be better than the linear box canyon maps within the modern Halo sandbox though.

I'm really happy with this. Haven in Halo 5 was something I wanted pre-release. I felt it was a map that deserved a re-make. I also don't have to worry about the map being a assymetric maze of corridors now.. Another Riptide or Overgrowth would be very disappointing.

Trup1aya

I'm so thrilled to be getting Haven back.

I wonder what approach they'll take with any new maps going forward. If I'm not mistaken, outside of Mercy, every map in this game has a sister, so no more remixes. This means we'll either get originals or remakes.

I wouldn't be upset if we got all remakes of competitively viable maps from here on out.

I wonder what approach they'll take with any new maps going forward. If I'm not mistaken, outside of Mercy, every map in this game has a sister, so no more remixes. This means we'll either get originals or remakes.

I wouldn't be upset if we got all remakes of competitively viable maps from here on out.

Coliseum doesn't have a remix unless Tyrant is somehow it, there doesn't seem to be any shared geometry though.

Shit, I wouldn't be upset if a majority of maps added to Halo 5 from here on out are remakes. If this is the base going forward, give me some Hang 'Em High with H5 Pistols babyyyy.
And Chiron of course.

Can you imagine
Chiron
Strongholds?? Jesus.. Talk about phe-no-me-nal.

EDIT:
You mean Damnation, CE's best 4v4 map.
Ground Pound from top teleporter to waterfall?? You're goddamn right moose! Chill Out is another classic, and 4v4 CTF Blood Gulch Hogs only was great too. Speaking of which, I'd like for that 4v4 CE playlist to return ;'[

Am I crazy or is my idea of 343's plan for new maps going forward is that... there aren't going to be any?

This will be the ninth content update. At what point will they just stop and leave people to play what is already in the game until Halo 6?

Trup1aya

Am I crazy or is my idea of 343's plan for new maps going forward is that... there aren't going to be any?

This will be the ninth content update. At what point will they just stop and leave people to play what is already in the game until Halo 6?

Thats what I thought, then they announced mercy...

I guess it depends on how many maps they already had in developement that are worth finishing. And whether or not the req income is worth sustaining the playerbase with new content.

EDIT:
Ground Pound from top teleporter to waterfall?? You're goddamn right moose! Chill Out is another classic, and 4v4 CTF Blood Gulch Hogs only was great too. Speaking of which, I'd like for that 4v4 CE playlist to return ;'[

Ground pounding on Damnation is exactly what I had in mind. Chill Out was one of my favorites as well.

I think 3v3 would be good for CE in MCC, never liked doubles.

Also my Loot Crate is getting here on Saturday. I'm excited for that.

Alright guys, help me out on this one. If I've never ever played Halo in my life and a couple of weeks ago I bought an xbox one with the halo master chief collection bundle (and halo 5 on sale), is it appropriate to start playing multiplayer right away or should I begin to familiarize myself with the story first?

Is it too late to even begin playing the Halo saga?

Alright guys, help me out on this one. If I've never ever played Halo in my life and a couple of weeks ago I bought an xbox one with the halo master chief collection bundle (and halo 5 on sale), is it appropriate to start playing multiplayer right away or should I begin to familiarize myself with the story first?

Oh Boy you are in for an amazing ride, it's never too late to jump in on the wonderful Halo franchise, I'm a huge fan since the first day Halo was born (November 15th 2001) I recommend playing the single player first in order to understand the story and the general gameplay mechanics after that you can play the multiplayer without problems, enjoy your play time and welcome to the Halo family!

Before playing multiplayer, play the campaigns in this order:

1 - 2 - 3 - 4.

5's campaign is lackluster, so you can just read up on the plot of it if you don't want to be lost for Halo 6.

No it's not! hell I replay every halo game whenever there's a new sequel :p

both story and multiplayer are equally important for halo so feel free to bounce between each mode.

P.S. halo's multi, while fun, can also be pretty competitive especially if you jump into ranked playlists right away. Just telling you this in case you start getting donged on and rage.

P.S.S. don't forget to also play Reach and ODST

Top Bottom