• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Is there a solid all around primer or tutorial on Warzone that I can check out before I jump into it for the first time? I've pretty much just been playing arena and campaign getting used to the elite controller but Warzone seems pretty cool

Is there a solid all around primer or tutorial on Warzone that I can check out before I jump into it for the first time? I've pretty much just been playing arena and campaign getting used to the elite controller but Warzone seems pretty cool

It's not too bad. If you can hold your own on multi-player you're good with the Player vs Player stuff.

Points come from bases (armories, garages, etc) a la domination from COD and other fps games, and slays are single points as well. The bulk of what you earn come from bosses. Their point values are with their health bars, and the team that kills them gets the points. The harder the boss the more points they are worth. The thing to remember is that the final shot gets the kill, so the meta makes it that you can literally have the other team do the bulk of the work and steal the kill from them. For that reason, this isn't the mode to try and carry. Teamwork is pretty vital, and depending on the randoms you get, it can be that much of a struggle.

Req weapons are pretty situational. All depends on your playstyle and what's needed for each moment. Do you use that Hydra on an enemy vehicle that makes spawning a pain, or do you go after that 100 point boss? All depends on the moment.

That's the quick and dirty. I'm on mobile so I'm not as in depth as I'd like.

I mean, we can just tell you. Lemm you know if you have questions (did this in a hurry).

Warzone: Capture bases, kill bosses, destroy the enemy core.

Two home bases, three bases up for grabs, and boss AI spawning around the map. Game is to 1000 points. You get most of the points from killing bosses and holding bases, less from Spartan kills. With boss kills, only the killing damage counts, so the last shot is important and you can "steal" bosses even if the other team did majority damage. Bases can be captured and recaptured infinitely (except for home bases). If a team captures all three open bases, the other team's core becomes vulnerable. Destroying the core ends the game (with a win for the destroyers) regardless of score.

The center base is the most important. 95% of the time you should be heading to the center base at the opening of a Warzone match. You can lose a game while holding the center base, but it's pretty hard. From the center, you have quick access to bosses and one armory is then sandwiched with your home base, making for easier defense of that armory.

Make sure you are keeping up with your loadout weapons and with any armor mods you have as the game progresses. BR starts at level 3, SMG at 4, DMR at 6. In the beginning you will have to scavenge like crazy probably. The more point you get during the game, the faster your personal level will get, but your level also depends on total team performance.

Don't be afraid to use REQs, you will get them faster than you can use them. Don't forget to sell REQs you will never use, and use the Waypoint plugin for Chrome to do so since it makes it a hundred times easier. Selling stuff will get you more points to buy more packs. Buy Bronzes until you get REQ points refunded, then Silvers until you get REQ points refunded, then Golds. This is the most efficient way to unlock everything.

Note: Warzone and Warzone Assault are different, the map knowledge won't translate.

Don't be afraid to use REQs, you will get them faster than you can use them. Don't forget to sell REQs you will never use, and use the Waypoint plugin for Chrome to do so since it makes it a hundred times easier. Selling stuff will get you more points to buy more packs. Buy Bronzes until you get REQ points refunded, then Silvers until you get REQ points refunded, then Golds. This is the most efficient way to unlock everything.

I believe (someone correct me) that you can just do straight Silvers->Golds now.

Ade

Okay now I officially have a problem

20161203_191319.jpg

But seriously, Ross + TJ Maxx (and presumably Marshall's) are rife with Halo Mega Bloks right now.

Scorpion is ace, but wasn't a fun build.

Ade

Sat in ESL at the finals, seems to be a new build based on skins and spectator mode showing up as an option under customs.

Ein Bear

Hey HaloGAF. I'm wanting to get back into the game after not playing for ages, and am wondering if the community ever settled on the 'best' controller settings for deadzones etc? I haven't really played much since they patched the options in, and the default aiming is godawful.

Hey HaloGAF. I'm wanting to get back into the game after not playing for ages, and am wondering if the community ever settled on the 'best' controller settings for deadzones etc? I haven't really played much since they patched the options in, and the default aiming is godawful.

Set both deadzones to zero, sens and acceleration is up to you.

Fuchsdh

Some more Gamecheat13 "leaks" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NECIoMV9Ybs

- Gun Game
- Race
- Some Arena gametype having to do with REQs
- Mythic Warzone Firefight (Lives)
- Assault and CTF lines in Warzone.

Huh. The REQ Arena stuff is the most interesting, just because I have no idea what it actually means. Sounds to me like you get REQ energy from completing objectives team-wide, as opposed to individual performance. But there's also stuff that sounds like you can only call in REQs of a certain type. Will be interesting to see how these shake out, although I'm guessing since we haven't heard anything about this stuff we won't be seeing all of this in the coming update.

Welfare

Are you sure their will be a year 2? If anything itll be every quater or 1 or 2 updates next year.
Year 2 as in any content in 2017. A content update every 3 months should be happening, which wouldn't be bad. No reason why there shouldn't be a Spring, Summer, Fall, and Holiday update next year.

Akai__

The "crazy huge" update Stinkles was teasing on Twitter must be all those leaks. Sounds pretty cool, but I'm not sure if it will make me return.

This CU also sounds like it's going to be huge on the GB's. Wouldn't be surprised if Halo 5 is over 100GB afterwards. They should think about segmenting the game into Campaign, Arena and Warzone. For those that absolutely don't care about Campaign and Warzone for example, it would be great if you could uninstall all those parts.

Btw. Spectators are now in the lobby. This is a pretty good change, since it should mean several improvements, such as no more "false" aim, delay-less casting and no more spoilers in chat, because somebody is fast forwarding the game and posting the result in the chat.

tFRbPE9.jpg

Credits to belushy.

All the tricks by hitching rides on pelicans and phantoms are :eek:

Yeah and the out of map things reminds me of Metroid Prime. Halo 4 had a coupple of those, too. Pretty cool stuff for speedrunners.

Could be stuff that they were experimenting with that'll never see the light of day.

Seems very unlikely to me, since Gamecheat and other modders would have found that way earlier. It must have been added just recently.

Ade

Hcs finals were great, quality games and a decent venue. Was nice to chat to the players and such too.

My daughter, who asked if we could go, absolutely loved it and I enjoyed it too. Totally recommend it if you get chance to attend on of these.

BizzyBum

Better late than never with the aiming adjustments, I guess.

It's one of those things where if you just play Halo 5 you get used to it but if you play any other FPS then come back you'll really notice how sluggish it feels.

Trup1aya

I think they made them bad so they could do a refresh.

That would be silly, but could be true.

Knowing there was no time to have it in Season 2 HCS, they went with a crazy layout.

It wouldve made more sense to aim for a sensible layout, that way we'd already have input on how it works competitively.

Played some today... just seen my deadzones are messing up and i have drift :(((( nooo me elite controller! Not now. Not like this!

Aim drift rip

Thank goodness I never got an Elite controller then. I have that drift issue on all of my controllers, must've been through like 5 of them by now.

These controllers are buns.. I never had bumper issues or drifting issues with 360 controllers, but the Xbox One controllers frequently give me problems.

daedalius

Every instance of mercy needs different power weapons. I have no idea what they were thinking when they launched with those.

That's because aim is tied to connection quality currently (which is dumb) and connections have been shit for months.

Wait what is this about aiming?

Thank goodness I never got an Elite controller then. I have that drift issue on all of my controllers, must've been through like 5 of them by now.

These controllers are buns.. I never had bumper issues or drifting issues with 360 controllers, but the Xbox One controllers frequently give me problems.

I've had the opposite experience. No drift or bumper issues on my One controllers (including my elite) but both issues on every single 360 controller I have ever owned.

Well I complained about the aiming on day one, I still don't feel like it's great (like, titanfall and doom feel way better).

I didn't know there was some new specific problem.

You've probably just had shitty ping to our glorious Mexican't servers since day one.

Top Bottom