• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

daedalius

I've had the opposite experience. No drift or bumper issues on my One controllers (including my elite) but both issues on every single 360 controller I have ever owned.

You've probably just had shitty ping to our glorious Mexican't servers since day one.

Where in the hell does it make sense to tie some sort of aiming mechanism to your ping? How why what?

Aiming feels great to me. I have my dead zones set at zero, aim acceleration at 2 and a horizontal+vertical sensitivity of 7. I've never noticed any input lag people claim to have.

Trup1aya

Some more Gamecheat13 "leaks" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NECIoMV9Ybs

- Gun Game
- Race
- Some Arena gametype having to do with REQs
- Mythic Warzone Firefight (Lives)
- Assault and CTF lines in Warzone.

The potential behind some of these modes sound exciting. I always thought it would be neat if ctf and and assualt were added in as Warzone objectives.

Mythic Warzone Firefight doesnt sound like classic firefight to me. The notion of it being 'warzone' makes it sound like Reqs will be involved.

Does the club have any benefit or is it just like the spartan company?
You can set up a Looking For Group session to have others in the Club join. Been playing 16 player customs this weekend with randies and having a lot of fun. Can't wait for the CGB to see how much it helps the community because with just the LFG I've been able to occasionally find lobbies, so it's definitely starting to see an increase in usage.

Looking forward to this update, not only for the new features, but for a playlist refresh as well. Played some Infection last night where the survivors had to reach checkpoints, some of which involved vehicles, and damn was it fun lol. Normally I don't really care much for Infection, but some variations I played recently have me craving more. Hoping we see it added to Infection at some point, along with some new Action Sack gametypes. Played some elimination gametype that had people spawn with random weapons and took place inside two long hallways where each team spawned, connected by a middle hallway. So figure something like |_| where each team spawned at each end.

Does the club have any benefit or is it just like the spartan company?

The functions are built into Xbox, so it's a bit more practical/useful.

That's weird I don't have anything and also I had sent like 5 requests

:'( cries in the corner

I sent another request. Hopefully me being an admin makes it more of a priority or whatever. Weird that we haven't gotten a single request through.

I've seen maybe 4 familiar gamertags, rest are randies.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Damn, went 18- 1 in super fiesta. Finally the fiesta gods shined down on me. To often I spawn with a bolt shot and ar.

The functions are built into Xbox, so it's a bit more practical/useful.

I sent another request. Hopefully me being an admin makes it more of a priority or whatever. Weird that we haven't gotten a single request through.

I've seen maybe 4 familiar gamertags, rest are randies.

Got it thanks!

ZOwDPmI.png

I know this topic has been done to death, but I'm sorta hoping sprint is out in the next game. Wasn't their justification for having it was simply because sprint is expected and modern? I don't think that's really true especially with a game like Overwatch being so popular.

By removing sprint, we could have no-radar be standard again. I think it's pretty obvious that the only reason radar is a thing in competitive is because if there was no radar, sprinting around and Spartan charging would be a valid strategy. It's just so silly watching HCS matches with people crouching around corners.

I hope the get rid of clamber too because it takes control away while performing it. I'd rather have an extra half-jump thing instead. I swear there was a GDC where 343 were showing concepts for it. It would basically be a second jump, but shorter. The only problem is that it would get too hectic to aim at someone jumping in one direction, then thrusting in the opposite direction, then doing the extra jump in a different direction. But this can be balanced by only allowing the second jump to be used after a jump (and not a thrust), and if it was restricted to the same momentum of the first jump.

I'm just not a fan of moments where you cant move and shoot at the same time. It sorta takes away the "arena-shooter" feel, and makes the game rely too heavily on rotations, rather than setups.

I would miss the super slide though <_<

Gwyn

Second jump??
Do you want people outside 343 building throwing rocks?
Clamber is fine.
I agree on "no sprint".
And they can tweak super slide to act the same as it does in h5 when you run for more than 2 seconds then thrust+crouch it does the h5 slide

edit: remove spartan charge

Here is my stupid idea for H6 what if when you hold the grenade button(LT) it holds the grenade like CSGO? Would that be op? It would only work for frag nades

Second jump??
Do you want people outside 343 building throwing rocks?
Clamber is fine.
I agree on "no sprint".
And they can tweak super slide to act the same as it does in h5 when you run for more than 2 seconds then thrust+crouch it does the h5 slide

edit: remove spartan charge

It's not a full jump. just a half jump. or quarter. whatever. The point is to replace the benefit of clamber without losing control of your character. The good part about clamber is that it allows for more variations in jump height and places you can reach. Currently, you can reach a place by jumping, slightly higher places by jumping and crouching, even higher places with jump + crouch + hover, and even higher places with jump + crouch + hover + camber. I actually like that aspect. It's a nice progression of trick jumps from past Halos. By removing clamber, we're removing an extra layer of jump height variety. The extra jump is just a quick solution I thought of. I guess 343 does have their reasons for opting towards clamber though, because I know they were testing an extra jump and it ultimately didn't make it in

Gwyn

It's not a full jump. just a half jump. or quarter. whatever. The point is to replace the benefit of clamber without losing control of your character. The good part about clamber is that it allows for more variations in jump height and places you can reach. Currently, you can reach a place by jumping, slightly higher places by jumping and crouching, even higher places with jump + crouch + hover, and even higher places with jump + crouch + hover + camber. I actually like that aspect. It's a nice progression of trick jumps from past Halos. By removing clamber, we're removing an extra layer of jump height variety. The extra jump is just a quick solution I thought of. I guess 343 does have their reasons for opting towards clamber though, because I know they were testing an extra jump and it ultimately didn't make it in

The thing is by adding a second jump+all the restrictions you mentioned
But this can be balanced by only allowing the second jump to be used after a jump (and not a thrust), and if it was restricted to the same momentum of the first jump.
Makes it complicated imo for the casual user and then add all those people that gonna trash 343 for copying COD(again).
Doesn't feel like halo imo
I think we need less instead of adding more.
Remove splinter nades, spartan charge, sprint

jem0208

The only things I would change would be:

- remove spartan charge or even better completely remove the aim assist.
- add the ability to clamber backwards.
- maybe add the ability to shoot who’s clambering.

The thing is by adding a second jump+all the restrictions you mentioned

Makes it complicated imo for the casual user and then add all those people that gonna trash 343 for copying COD(again).
Doesn't feel like halo imo
I think we need less instead of adding more.
Remove splinter nades, spartan charge, sprint

Yeah that's true. I suppose jump, crouching, and hovering offer enough variation in jump heights to allow for trick jumps.

The only things I would change would be:

- remove spartan charge or even better completely remove the aim assist.
- add the ability to clamber backwards.
- maybe add the ability to shoot who’s clambering.

Clambering backwards would get so disorienting :p

But oh yes! If they keep Sprint and Spartan charge, it would be way more balanced if it lost the auto-aim

Trup1aya

Remove sprint and spartan charge
Increase base movement speed
Remove clamber- design maps around crouch jumping, thrust and stabilize

(If they must keep clamber, allow to shoot simultaneously)

Remove sprint and spartan charge
Increase base movement speed
Remove clamber- design maps around crouch jumping, thrust and stabilize

(If they must keep clamber, allow to shoot simultaneously)

That sounds terrible. Only thing id remove is spartan charge. Shit is stupid but worse comes to worse, i can live with it. Ground pound, i dont think anyone uses. Otherwise the gameplay in 5 is near perfect. Wouldnt change much other than the maps

Its really hard trying to play halo 5 when you are coming from titanfall2.

I keep running and wanting to slide everywhere but i still feel slow lol

jem0208

I had the opposite problem. I found TF2 completely dull after playing 5. Downloaded the trial and played 3 or 4 matches then went back to Halo.

I had the opposite problem. I found TF2 completely dull after playing 5. Downloaded the trial and played 3 or 4 matches then went back to Halo.

For me it just plays too much like COD, only with Titans. But I do kinda like the fact that i can have a big giant robot just following me around or ill just tell him to stay and defend a point, thats the games best aspect imo.

Trup1aya

That sounds terrible. Only thing id remove is spartan charge. Shit is stupid but worse comes to worse, i can live with it. Ground pound, i dont think anyone uses. Otherwise the gameplay in 5 is near perfect. Wouldnt change much other than the maps

So previous halo games are terrible?

How is sprinting superior to just moving faster?
How is clamber superior to just jumping where you want to go?

Groundpound and thruster are fine by me

So i use the grappling hook and ronin (mech with the sword). When im wall running and double jumping in the air i can grapple hook the next building to keep my momentum - like spiderman. I then sneak up on people who are ADS with their OP gun and shotgun them or assassinate them. (kinda funny a swift kick with a boot insta kills them - 1 melee hit kill)

that is the only enjoyment i get from tf2. I will attest that the BETA had me sooo sour in the mouth that i refused to buy it at launch. fast forward to nice reviews about the single player - i got it on the bf sale and i dabbled into the mp.

I was surprised i was still able to pull off perfects in h5 and i kept pushing B to crouch/slide and instead i just thrusted haha. i did so bad my last two games. idk if i even finished them - aaand i kinda dont care (WZA / BTB)

So previous halo games are terrible?

How is sprinting superior to just moving faster?
How is clamber superior to just jumping where you want to go?

Groundpound and thruster are fine by me

- Clamber is superior because it allows players to get to heights that you normally would not be able to reach in Halo. This changes the way the game is played and imo plays a lot better than Halo ever did before. Jumping to a ledge thats slightly too high and just seeing your spartan bump into it and fall to his death because he cant "hang on" to it is dumb and outdated game design. Hell even Doom has clamber.

- Sprint is superior to just moving fast because its a separate button than just pressing slightly more left or right on the stick. The fact that this is a separate button makes it a strategic element to the game. You need to know when to use it, just like you need to know when to use a grenade, or a melee.

I watched halo on twitch this weekend and it was some of the most fun Halo to watch the franchise has had in years. Removing clamber or sprint would absolutely imo make the game "go backwards", of that i have no doubts.

edit: if they wanna allow those to be removed via custom games settings, i have no problem with that. But the core game needs to have them.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
- Clamber is superior because it allows players to get to heights that you normally would not be able to reach in Halo. This changes the way the game is played and imo plays a lot better than Halo ever did before. Jumping to a ledge thats slightly too high and just seeing your spartan bump into it and fall to his death because he cant "hang on" to it is dumb and outdated game design. Hell even Doom has clamber.

- Sprint is superior to just moving fast because its a separate button than just pressing slightly more left or right on the stick. The fact that this is a separate button makes it a strategic element to the game. You need to know when to use it, just like you need to know when to use a grenade, or a melee.

I watched halo on twitch this weekend and it was some of the most fun Halo to watch the franchise has had in years. Removing clamber or sprint would absolutely imo make the game "go backwards", of that i have no doubts.

edit: if they wanna allow those to be removed via custom games settings, i have no problem with that. But the core game needs to have them.

Agree with all this.

op_ivy

and conversely, playing titanfall 2 after an extended bout of halo 5 and i'm activating camo off spawn everytime (trying to sprint with a)

Can we just agree not to suggest sweeping changes to the sandbox and moveset *again*? Halo finally have a really good set of mechanics after years of turmoil and the last thing you want to do is doing it all over again.

Can we just agree not to suggest sweeping changes to the sandbox and moveset *again*? Halo finally have a really good set of mechanics after years of turmoil and the last thing you want to do is doing it all over again.

Oh i agree, but the thing is 343 will probably want to implement "new" mechanics for the next one. They wont just keep it like this without any changes. At least, thats what im expecting.

FyreWulff

I think this is where MP is tending to go for all games, where it's mostly a sustained continual update on a core experience. Box release style is dying out.

Fuchsdh

I think this is where MP is tending to go for all games, where it's mostly a sustained continual update on a core experience. Box release style is dying out.

Yep. Which honestly is fine by me; I've been one of those people asking for the same sustained multiplayer suite and campaign DLC forever. Seems weird in this day and age to reset to 0 with maps, modes, player-created content.

FyreWulff

Yep. Which honestly is fine by me; I've been one of those people asking for the same sustained multiplayer suite and campaign DLC forever. Seems weird in this day and age to reset to 0 with maps, modes, player-created content.

Even financially it's basically throwing out your playerbase and hoping to recapture them.

Same reason I assume Destiny will always be the same userbase going forward. I don't think Bungie is going to split the playerbase and isn't going to run multiple Destinies (outside of legacy platforms)

Im sure theres a reason they do it. The engine updates and improves, new hardware. Cant always patch that in. As long as they dont do like COD and force a Halo every year. Even 2 years i find too short. I think the way they do it now is fine. Every 3-4 years is ok by me.

Even financially it's basically throwing out your playerbase and hoping to recapture them.

Same reason I assume Destiny will always be the same userbase going forward. I don't think Bungie is going to split the playerbase and isn't going to run multiple Destinies (outside of legacy platforms)

Last i saw, not only were they splitting the user base but nothing was transferable in destiny 2 from the first game. Not your character, nothing.

Even though they've said repeatedly they want your character to come with you for the entire run of Destiny?

:)

Well i dont remember where i saw this but apparently the changes they want to bring in, requires them to "cut off" the first game.

Wouldnt be the first time Bungie said something that didnt ultimately deliver.

Karl2177

Well i dont remember where i saw this but apparently the changes they want to bring in, requires them to "cut off" the first game.

Wouldnt be the first time Bungie said something that didnt ultimately deliver.
Ding ding. The content pipeline has changed dramatically for future full releases and a side effect is that the current stuff just doesn't quite work. Additionally there's some gameplay elements that are new that won't work with what is currently there.

Madness

Removing sprint would make the game a million times better. Calling it a stragetic element is not necessarily when 99% of players use it to traverse maps quickly only and it often is used almost subconsciously with little thought. Adding in Spartan Charge has also increased sprint use tenfold because it provides far more reward than risk. It is essentially a long range melee. Either one hit kill from the back or full strip of shields from front. Everyone always says easy to dodge and whatnot but maybe 9 spartan charges connect for every 1 whiff I have seen. Also, for many, sprint is not a second button, but a press down of the joystick which does not have much of an impact at all as compared to a button press.

I would say clamber has been good. I will say I find defensive or movement abilites make more sense than offensive ones. I would add a double jump ability for Halo 6 possibly. Add more verticality and allow to reach higher spaces quickly. I would remove sprint, increase base movement speed, remove ground pound and spartan charge, fix radar so that only firing weapons, power weapons, and ability use causes you to show up, along with sightline (ie. If you see a Spartan within 10 feet in front of you).

Trup1aya

This is pretty nonsensical.

The heights that you can jump to is purely arbitrary. If they want you to reach higher heights, they can just make you jump higher. They can design the jumps around less restrictive and more skillful mechanics- like crouch jumping and stabilizer.

Adding a button to sprint doesnt make the game more strategic. It just makes the prospect of movement unnecessarily convoluted, and takes focus of shooting

Halo 5 is fun to watch. And it would be more fun to watch of doing basic movements didnt take players out of the action

Fuchsdh

Im sure theres a reason they do it. The engine updates and improves, new hardware. Cant always patch that in.

Last i saw, not only were they splitting the user base but nothing was transferable in destiny 2 from the first game. Not your character, nothing.

True, but when we're talking about generations of similar hardware where the guts are similar, doesn't seem like a major compatibility issue.

343 has talked a lot about how they did way more grunt work than usual to build/rebuild the engine. You can only assume they spent time making sure that they wouldn't have technical debt issues downstream a la Bungie and Destiny.

FyreWulff

This isn't the 360 anymore, you can literally patch anything or send out a whole dang new executable as a 'patch'.

Ignoring technical planning, the reason 360 patches were so limited were due to office politics, overly tight constraints, and the fact it cost you tens of thousands of dollars to even submit a patch for even minor stuff (which is why devs tended to let them go)

Now it's "hey Sony/MS/Nintendo we have a new build" and then they're like "k let's make sure it doesn't blow up the console alright it's up now"

op_ivy

Oh i agree, but the thing is 343 will probably want to implement "new" mechanics for the next one. They wont just keep it like this without any changes. At least, thats what im expecting.

i hope not. would love for them to flesh out what we have though. as an example, thrust slide jump seems like a happy accident. its a bit janky in its use as slight bumps and declines mess it up. make its functionality smoother and introduce it in campaign.

Removing sprint would make the game a million times better. Calling it a stragetic element is not necessarily when 99% of players use it to traverse maps quickly only and it often is used almost subconsciously with little thought. Adding in Spartan Charge has also increased sprint use tenfold because it provides far more reward than risk. It is essentially a long range melee. Either one hit kill from the back or full strip of shields from front. Everyone always says easy to dodge and whatnot but maybe 9 spartan charges connect for every 1 whiff I have seen. Also, for many, sprint is not a second button, but a press down of the joystick which does not have much of an impact at all as compared to a button press.

I would say clamber has been good. I will say I find defensive or movement abilites make more sense than offensive ones. I would add a double jump ability for Halo 6 possibly. Add more verticality and allow to reach higher spaces quickly. I would remove sprint, increase base movement speed, remove ground pound and spartan charge, fix radar so that only firing weapons, power weapons, and ability use causes you to show up, along with sightline (ie. If you see a Spartan within 10 feet in front of you).

This is pretty nonsensical.

The heights that you can jump to is purely arbitrary. If they want you to reach higher heights, they can just make you jump higher. They can design the jumps around less restrictive and more skillful mechanics- like crouch jumping and stabilizer.

Adding a button to sprint doesnt make the game more strategic. It just makes the prospect of movement unnecessarily convoluted, and takes focus of shooting

Halo 5 is fun to watch. And it would be more fun to watch of doing basic movements didnt take players out of the action

Let me put it to you this way, and i can speak for my friends too since this is a debate weve had: if they remove sprint and clamber, they will pretty much guarantee me no longer playing this game online.

Top Bottom