• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

daedalius

I want buck as my announcer for sure.

Also can't wait for reach grenade launcher, I loved that thing!

I'm bummed the CE playlist is gone though, most fun I've had in a while.

daedalius

Omg who thought this last room of h5 on legendary was a fun thing?

Prometheans are the worst.

Never again halo 5, I am never playing this on legendary again.

Trup1aya

I can get into arena matches instantly. But can't get a warzone match at all..

Is usually the other way around for me when i run into issues.

Akai__

If this update has 1flag I'm going to freak. The guy who said h3a with MCC fix late 17 said the next update would have 1 flag.

And to all those people still believeing that this will happen:

lnIhuU7.gif

Trup1aya

Really looking forward to custom games browser.

I really didn't get into the customs craze of h3 thanks to college. Now hopefully ill get a chance to play some funky gametypes without having to schedule.

And to all those people still believeing that this will happen:

lnIhuU7.gif

Didn't Frankie say there were no plans for H3A?

I honestly wouldn't mind an update to Halo 3. Look at CoD4 and CoD4 remastered and there's a significant difference. It'd be nice for Halo 3. For the MP side I'd rather have Halo 3 maps remade in Halo 5, 3's sandbox is garbage. I don't think any of this will happen though.

Fucking called it

When I first bought this game - "There's too much shit going on, thruster charge shoulder charge ground pound smart link, jesus fuck I don't have enough fingers for this"

12 hours since I got my Elite Controller - "perform surgery while doing a handstand underwater? no prob"

Between this game and Final Fantasy XV, the Elite Controller is already my favorite controller of all time.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
I miss the uncomplicated Halo Games. Damn 5 is frustrating as hell.

The greater scale only adds chaos. You get shot from to many directions. Sometimes you can only play very carefully. Want to play like a super soldier? DENIED, loading checkpoint. :(

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I miss the uncomplicated Halo Games. Damn 5 is frustrating as hell.

The greater scale only adds chaos. You get shot from to many directions. Sometimes you can only play very carefully. Want to play like a super soldier? DENIED, loading checkpoint. :(

This is the worst part about the prometheans. Light rifle and guided shots from everywhere

Bamihap

Just played the Genesis level. I'm so done with this game. Fighting the same bosses more than once. My tank breaking down and having to fight my way through that hell. Probably the least fun vehicle mission in any Halo game.

I truly understand the hate for this game now. It feels like the developers were busy creating a fledged out IP to sell more games instead of just building a Sandbox shooter for people to enjoy.

Ade

Just played the Genesis level. I'm so done with this game. Fighting the same bosses more than once. My tank breaking down and having to fight my way through that hell. Probably the least fun vehicle mission in any Halo game.

I truly understand the hate for this game now. It feels like the developers were busy creating a fledged out IP to sell more games instead of just building a Sandbox shooter for people to enjoy.

Yet oddly I really enjoyed that level, even on Legendary I found it one of the more fun vehicle levels...

:/

Juan

I made my first run on Halo 5 with Legendary settings because I always play Halo on Legendary the first time, it was the worst Halo experience I ever had, even worst than Halo 2, can you believe it?

Promethean are terrible on Legendary, they don't feel the pain, especially the Soldier, oh my god...

I feel your pain dude. Never again for me.

Bamihap

I found H5 to be one of the best Halos on legendary.

It was the least bullet spongey which was nice.
I don't agree. The promethions are bullet sponges. The devs even make them blink white to indicate that you damaged them. Simply because otherwise they wouldn't even react to your attacks.

I don't agree. The promethions are bullet sponges. The devs even make them blink white to indicate that you damaged them. Simply because otherwise they wouldn't even react to your attacks.
They're not bullet sponges, use promethean weapons against them and they melt.

klaus

I made my first run on Halo 5 with Legendary settings because I always play Halo on Legendary the first time, it was the worst Halo experience I ever had, even worst than Halo 2, can you believe it?

The snipers in H2 on Legendary make your opinion invalid ;)

PS: Prometheans are great enemies, especially the knights are a lot of fun to fight against. The soldiers do feel a bit bullet spongy, but with the right weapons they are quickly disposed of - especially with the absolute fantastic movement system in H5. Get behind them, spartan charge them, pepper them with promethean weapons and go for the headshot.

Personally, H5 campaign is one of my favorites, with the unbeatable H1 campaign (since it was the first and blew my mind) on top.

jem0208

The snipers in H2 on Legendary make your opinion invalid ;)

PS: Prometheans are great enemies, especially the knights are a lot of fun to fight against. The soldiers do feel a bit bullet spongy, but with the right weapons they are quickly disposed of - especially with the absolute fantastic movement system in H5. Get behind them, spartan charge them, pepper them with promethean weapons and go for the headshot.

Personally, H5 campaign is one of my favorites, with the unbeatable H1 campaign (since it was the first and blew my mind) on top.

Pretty much.

I really enjoyed fighting Knights. They really reward precision aiming which makes them far more satisfying to take down.

Trup1aya

True, but, except for the light rifle, promeanthan weapons are dull additions to the sandbox.

Its a shame that making enemies impervious to covey/ unsc weapons is how the dev persuades us to use their new weapons instead of making weapons that are unique and attractive in their own right.

daedalius

I found H5 to be one of the best Halos on legendary.

It was the least bullet spongey which was nice.

Lol what?

A soldier can take like 8 light rifle shots to the face before it's dead. Prometheans are literally the definition of bullet sponge.

Legendary on halo 3 was fun, legendary in halo 5 is just frustrating. Even on heroic I thought the prometheans took too many shots.

And yea, good luck acting like a super soldier in h5 legendary, one ground pound and you're getting melted from like 8 directions. Just hug that cover and pick up light rifles and peek out!

klaus

Lol what?

A soldier can take like 8 light rifle shots to the face before it's dead. Prometheans are literally the definition of bullet sponge.

Legendary on halo 3 was fun, legendary in halo 5 is just frustrating. Even on heroic I thought the prometheans took too many shots.

And yea, good luck acting like a super soldier in h5 legendary, one ground pound and you're getting melted from like 8 directions. Just hug that cover and pick up light rifles and peek out!
You don't need 8 shots for a soldier if you aim well.
And if you are totally surrounded without cover after a ground pound, you are acting like a careless super soldier and should be punished accordingly ;) The fact alone that the game encourages you to make such foolhardy moves proves that it's doing something right - they even give you the thruster for that last ditch evade move.

PS: Your last sentence perfectly describes the feeling of playing H2 on Legendary :)

daedalius

You don't need 8 shots for a soldier if you aim well.
And if you are totally surrounded without cover after a ground pound, you are acting like a careless super soldier and should be punished accordingly ;) The fact alone that the game encourages you to make such foolhardy moves proves that it's doing something right - they even give you the thruster for that last ditch evade move.

PS: Your last sentence perfectly describes the feeling of playing H2 on Legendary :)

I was shooting a soldier with the light rifle zoomed in last night, counting shots. It might have been a captain, but I don't really care. I counted 7 shots with hit markers before his armor broke, then the headshot.

Garbage.

H2 wasn't great either, but I'm pretty sure I liked it better than 5 on legendary. Halo 5 legendary is not fun for me, it is hard for me to believe it was fun for anyone.

I would love it if we just got a new enemy, but given the storyline prometheans aren't going anywhere. I can only hope they are redesigned significantly.

jem0208

Lol what?

I can’t test it now but that’s definitely not how I remember it. I never found myself getting frustrated which is common in the older games. I also found you could be way more of a “super soldier” in 5 than the others. The level design and movement mechanics allowed for some really fun hit and rub tactics. You could ground pound in, kill a few guys then thrust lit of combat. My experience was that it was so much more fast paced than previous Halos.

klaus

I was shooting a soldier with the light rifle zoomed in last night, counting shots. It might have been a captain, but I don't really care. I counted 7 shots with hit markers before his armor broke, then the headshot.

Garbage.

H2 wasn't great either, but I'm pretty sure I liked it better than 5 on legendary. Halo 5 legendary is not fun for me, it is hard for me to believe it was fun for anyone.

I would love it if we just got a new enemy, but given the storyline prometheans aren't going anywhere. I can only hope they are redesigned significantly.

Soldiers take less shots if you always hit the head (i.e. headshots break their armor faster). Plus it pays to keep moving and getting close to soldiers, you only need to pick out soldiers with turrets (or snipers, but those only take 1 headshot) from far.. Seems fairly well balanced to me, it's just that the advanced movement system raises the skill ceiling quite a bit (i.e. it might be as hard as H2 Legendary, but instead of just hoping to get lucky and not get one hit killed from a sniper (or staying stationary and taking potshot after potshot), you actually can play extemely well to beat a situation without not just relying on pure luck / methodic patience.

Even if you (still) don't like the prometheans, just compare them (and their weapons) with H4 and I'm pretty sure we can agree it's a marked improvement. What's to stop 343 from making them even more fun in H6?

Juan

I can’t test it now but that’s definitely not how I remember it. I never found myself getting frustrated which is common in the older games. I also found you could be way more of a “super soldier” in 5 than the others. The level design and movement mechanics allowed for some really fun hit and rub tactics. You could ground pound in, kill a few guys then thrust lit of combat. My experience was that it was so much more fast paced than previous Halos.

Wait, are you really talking about Halo 5 Legendary? If so, I could only ground pound when I only was facing 2 or 3 opponents, max. And only Crawlers/Grunts, no Soldier or Elites.

Me too, I have a very hard time believing people could have fun on Halo 5 Legendary. But I guess we all have a different definition of what is frustrating and what is fun.

daedalius

Soldiers take less shots if you always hit the head (i.e. headshots break their armor faster). Plus it pays to keep moving and getting close to soldiers, you only need to pick out soldiers with turrets (or snipers, but those only take 1 headshot) from far.. Seems fairly well balanced to me, it's just that the advanced movement system raises the skill ceiling quite a bit (i.e. it might be as hard as H2 Legendary, but instead of just hoping to get lucky and not get one hit killed from a sniper (or staying stationary and taking potshot after potshot), you actually can play extemely well to beat a situation without not just relying on pure luck / methodic patience.

Even if you (still) don't like the prometheans, just compare them (and their weapons) with H4 and I'm pretty sure we can agree it's a marked improvement. What's to stop 343 from making them even more fun in H6?

I was shooting the head.

Prometheans in h4 were probably less frustrating, because at least you could rush a knight with a scattershot and he'd die, unlike now where they are basically a hunter from the front after you knock off the side cores. H4 prometheans weren't good either.

Oh I forgot to mention, knights reflecting rockets? Lol, who the fuck thought that one up? I was literally in shock when I saw this, because it hadn't happened before. One of the knights in the last room deflected 4 rockets in a row. /clap

Prometheans are nothing but trash. (To clarify, this is only a gameplay perspective. I actually think the visual design of most of the promethean stuff is pretty rad, and halo 5 as a whole is pretty gorgeous with a great soundtrack)

Because that's hard!

Oh sorry. My bad. I thought we were playing Legendary.

It's like the Warden complaints. Dude ain't difficult if you take the time/initiative to learn how to fight him. It's not the most original (weak point in the back), but it's far from frustrating or bullet spongey. Hell, in the later encounters, the game gives you The Answer and Incineration Cannons to do most of the work if you don't want to even go for the weak point.

daedalius

Why don't you just shoot their mouths when you shoot one of the cores off?

Because that's hard!

Had an easier time with warden because I found the power weapons.

I really didn't have too much of a problem till that final room, and like 50 knights. Not enough guns.

Fuchsdh

Because that's hard!

Had an easier time with warden because I found the power weapons.

I really didn't have too much of a problem till that final room, and like 50 knights. Not enough guns.

I love that the arena with two Wardens literally has "The Answer" sitting there.

And yeah I just skip the 3-warden fight. It is slightly better with the campaign update where they tweaked the AI, but it's still a terrible fight solo because it completely breaks the buddy AI system.

I love that the arena with two Wardens literally has "The Answer" sitting there.

And yeah I just skip the 3-warden fight. It is slightly better with the campaign update where they tweaked the AI, but it's still a terrible fight solo because it completely breaks the buddy AI system.

lol like the buddy AI worked to begin with.

Okay now I officially have a problem

20161203_191319.jpg

But seriously, Ross + TJ Maxx (and presumably Marshall's) are rife with Halo Mega Bloks right now.

Fuchsdh

lol like the buddy AI worked to begin with.

Eh, generally it does for me, but like any system you have to learn what it's good at and not. If you want it to be effective, rather than just window dressing while you do all the work, you have to be pretty proactive about telling your team to move and pick targets.

jem0208

Wait, are you really talking about Halo 5 Legendary? If so, I could only ground pound when I only was facing 2 or 3 opponents, max. And only Crawlers/Grunts, no Soldier or Elites.

Me too, I have a very hard time believing people could have fun on Halo 5 Legendary. But I guess we all have a different definition of what is frustrating and what is fun.
Yeah. it’s certainly not easy and you can’t hush rush into every encounter ground pounding and spartan charging. However, if you plan you’re encounters our and you’re good enough it’s possible and a tonne of fun. It’s incredibly satisfying to pull off.

I feel like the difference with 5 amd previous Halos on legendary is that you don’t have to resort to cheap tactics to win (other than the shitty triple warden fight). The movement mechanics and level design mean that if you’re good enough you can take on most of the encounters without resorting to just picking off enemies from a distance or using the noob combo.

Eh, generally it does for me, but like any system you have to learn what it's good at and not. If you want it to be effective, rather than just window dressing while you do all the work, you have to be pretty proactive about telling your team to move and pick targets.
I understand how it works. It's just practically useless on Legendary with a few exceptions. It was terrible at launch.

PSX is making me want a Playstation, and I hate it. Doesn't help nothing Xbox is looking attractive to me. Even HW2 I'm on the fence about. Feels bad man.

Juan

PSX is making me want a Playstation, and I hate it. Doesn't help nothing Xbox is looking attractive to me. Even HW2 I'm on the fence about. Feels bad man.

2017 will be a good year for PlayStation. I never had a PlayStation system before, always been with Xbox, but 2017 is the year I'm getting a PS4. There are so much games I want to play on this console, so many good exclusive titles, Halo is no more a thing that will keep me on Xbox for years, even if Halo Wars 2's story looks fucking damn cool.

But seriously, Ross + TJ Maxx (and presumably Marshall's) are rife with Halo Mega Bloks right now.

You go to those stores (TJMaxx/Ross?Big Lots) for the old sets but the new sets you go to Walmart/Target/Etc. go back and forth between those stores and you'll have them all soon enough.

Source: Used to work for a bigger Walmart, its where stock that doesnt sell goes sometimes.

Nothing wrong with wanting a Playstation

Haha no there isn't but I haven't gone with Playstation since the 2, and that was pretty late in its lifespan. Xbox use to be a bit more varied but now it just all feels the same. I mean I am not going to sell my Xbox or anything, I just had a bit more pride in being Xbox exclusive than I do now.

Doesn't help there's never a peep from Microsoft outside of E3 or other trade events.

Top Bottom