• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Welfare

They are going to be posting about what the update has in it, but because it's so big they have to split the news story into 2 parts with part 1 being tomorrow.

So far we know there following of the update

-Server Browser
-Voice Pack
-Grenade Launcher
-Race
-Gun Game
-New Firefight Mode
-New Arena mode that involves REQs
-Boat load of Forge stuff
Wow. That is great news.

Better hurry. We're removing SC from Grifball soon.

I have no inside information other than one very small tidbit that, if true, will make the next update a real game changer.

[edit]club inv plz - runNOKYARDrun

I believe in Nokyard. Every Forger needs to hold onto their

They are going to be posting about what the update has in it, but because it's so big they have to split the news story into 2 parts with part 1 being tomorrow.

So far what we know of the update

-Server Browser
-Voice Pack
-Grenade Launcher
-Race
-Gun Game
-New Firefight Mode

I'm really looking forward to this update.
I remember someone scripted Gun Game into Halo 4, it was pretty fun.

Also Observer mode and UI updates

What's Observer mode? You can join a party as an observer?

daedalius

Doom is awesome, but its MP is pretty dead.

I would love it if Halo dropped sprint and just had Doom-esque movement speed. Very snappy, barely any momentum; it's amazing.

I'd play the MP more, but it is pretty shallow; and there are very few people outside of Team DM on xbone.

Theres a difference between going forward, and going backwards. I dont want to go back to flip phones either and if we ever do, i might start writing pen written letters again too.

I think sometimes going backwards can somewhat work (like Dooms SP) but most of the time, it doesnt. A classic playlist in MP im totally fine with that but i dont think id enjoy a full game of that. Not anymore.
I wasn't commenting on that. I was addressing you not finding it possible that people quit Halo because they dislike its new mechanics, meanwhile you and your friends would quit Halo if they removed sprint.

As far as design choices, I don't think 343 will remove sprint or clamber. Let's see how the CGB goes first, then take it from there. I'm interested to see over time what settings people will flock to. Will most custom game lobbies use default H5 settings, or will the community shift towards something else? We'll see.
No radar master race.

jem0208

I think clamber should definitely stay. It makes vertical movement so much smoother. Games without clamber feel clunky and floaty after playing H5.

Fuchsdh

Better hurry. We're removing SC from Grifball soon.

I have no inside information other than one very small tidbit that, if true, will make the next update a real game changer.

[edit]club inv plz - runNOKYARDrun

Do the SC in Grifball even count? Feel like I just get brawler medals because you usually end up with mutual kills.

Can you nerds stop arguing and get these last few thousand Spartan charges for the SC!?

Fun facts on progress of two specific commendations for the last week. I took the numbers at the same time a week ago for comparison to see the rate that we're advancing. Let's see:

Commendation -> Count last week -> Count this week

Road Trip -> 12754 -> 13412
Pain Train -> 3781 -> 3954

Change: Road Trip=658, Pain Train=173

Required to complete: Road Trip: 29200, Pain Train: 9700

Current # of SC members: 94

Extrapolating from these numbers (totally unscientific):

1.8 SC's per member *per week*
7 vehicle kills per member *per week*

Estimated # of weeks to finish commendation (assuming no uptick in population or playtime):
Road Trip: 24 weeks
Pain Train: 33 weeks

The way I see it, anyone who wants to stay in the company better up their game by a crazy amount, or we should just do a super purge and have an open call for people who actually play the goddamn game. ~5 or 6 of us doing almost all the work is fucking unacceptable.

Do the SC in Grifball even count? Feel like I just get brawler medals because you usually end up with mutual kills.

You can only do it with the hammer and you have to make sure you get the actual medal. I know you can get them in Rift Ball, but GB might be different.

Madness

the games that are the most successful are the ones that listen to their fans. And im not talking about the loud minority. ;)

Pretty sure anyone threatening to quit playing if they removed a mechanic would be the loud minority. The silent majority have stuck with the franchise through every shortsighted decision. I am sure a lot of people thought killcams and instant respawn and loadouts and random global ordnance worked before H4 launch until they didn't. I just don't understand why a faster movement speed would make you quit if they didn't have a sprint mechanic, especially for a shooter. It means you value a spartan flailing his gun on a button press and moving fast over everything else Halo brings to the shooter table.

wwm0nkey

From Ske7ch

The upcoming update to Halo 5 will indeed span both Xbox One and Win 10. I'm told there are a number of PC-specific fixes and improvements around some of the more common crash instances and some tweaks to hopefully improve mouse responsiveness. The 'join in progress custom games browser' is a huge addition and should hopefully turn the Win 10 product into essentially completely free Halo 5 Arena/Forge MP (minus 'matchmaking'). Personally I'm super excited about the Forge updates in conjunction with the game browser and hoping it really helps the PC community flourish.

Also wonder what this is about
LINK

BizzyBum

The way I see it, anyone who wants to stay in the company better up their game by a crazy amount, or we should just do a super purge and have an open call for people who actually play the goddamn game. ~5 or 6 of us doing almost all the work is fucking acceptable.

Yeah, I agree. I said a few days ago I'd be open to inviting active players even if they don't post on GAF.

If we make a thread on Waypoint we can probably pick up a lot of people still looking for the helmet since we're way closer than if they joined an SC from scratch.

Juan

From Ske7ch

I remember having ton of fun on Halo Custom Edition and Halo 2 Vista thanks to the Server Browser. I'm still playing these games (well, not H2V, but Halo Online thanks to ElDwrito).

If it does the same effect to Halo 5, well, it's going to be a blast.

wwm0nkey

They really need to do something big for this update, I'll be able to get a few people back on via the Discord server i run having 1k members

Trup1aya

Ok let's assume that alot of people left halo because of sprint / new mechanics, so where did they go?
Every other popular FPS game has sprint or flying/wallrunning or some kind of weird ability.
That's why i find it hard to believe someone switching from halo gameplay to cod / ow / bf / Destiny as his main game and be like yep that feels good compared to halo.
The only game i think that kept its classic formula is CSGO but that's on PC, totally different market.
Maybe i am wrong here but that's how i see it.

Also i think reddit/beyond/halogaf is a tiny minority of halo 5 and they focus too much into e-sports, hcs streams have like 5k viewers at best which is really bad.
I really hope hcs improves over time, i enjoy watching the games.

But all of those games are based on fundamentals that differ greatly from halo's. It's not that sprint doesnt work in shooters at all. It's that it doesn't work in Halo. Gamers are switching to games that aren't suffering an identity crisis.

Also, of all the communities i mentioned only team beyond gives a damn about esports. Sure the people that post on forums are a vocal minority. But that doesn't mean that who don't post love the mechanics. There is also a massive group of people who just don't play halo anymore since 3.

BizzyBum

Conclusion: We're never getting this Achilles helmet lol

Correction: We're never getting this Achilles helmet with our current roster.

I say wait until the update and see how many people come back and play. After a week or two those who haven't logged on should get the boot and we start accepting other active players.

Trup1aya

Fun facts on progress of two specific commendations for the last week. I took the numbers at the same time a week ago for comparison to see the rate that we're advancing. Let's see:

Commendation -> Count last week -> Count this week

Road Trip -> 12754 -> 13412
Pain Train -> 3781 -> 3954

Change: Road Trip=658, Pain Train=173

Required to complete: Road Trip: 29200, Pain Train: 9700

Current # of SC members: 94

Extrapolating from these numbers (totally unscientific):

1.8 SC's per member *per week*
7 vehicle kills per member *per week*

Estimated # of weeks to finish commendation (assuming no uptick in population or playtime):
Road Trip: 24 weeks
Pain Train: 33 weeks

The way I see it, anyone who wants to stay in the company better up their game by a crazy amount, or we should just do a super purge and have an open call for people who actually play the goddamn game. ~5 or 6 of us doing almost all the work is fucking unacceptable.

You can only do it with the hammer and you have to make sure you get the actual medal. I know you can get them in Rift Ball, but GB might be different.

Well damn. If it makes anyone feel any better i sell anything but snipers and ground vehicles.

I grind headshots, splatters, vehicles kills, and try to snipe drivers any time i play

I think clamber should definitely stay. It makes vertical movement so much smoother. Games without clamber feel clunky and floaty after playing H5.

I think clamber was saved by the fact that some clamber jumps could only be done with crouch clambering or using hover.

I do hope that in Halo 6 they create better maps along with a faster TTK. Playing the anniversary mode with the CE pistol made me really love Halo 5 again due to the fact that you could punish people making stupid mistakes a lot easier instead of watching them simply thrust back into safety or running away while eating shots.

If Halo 6 has better maps and a faster TTK I think I could forgive the addition of spartan abilities (as I obviously prefer Halo gameplay without them).

So far what we know of the update

-Server Browser
-Voice Pack
-Grenade Launcher
-Race
-Gun Game
-New Firefight Mode

Great the Halo 5 post launch support is amazing

Well damn. If it makes anyone feel any better i sell anything but snipers and ground vehicles.

I grind headshots, splatters, vehicles kills, and try to snipe drivers any time i play

Not to be a dick, but assassinations and SCs are the ones that people apparently refuse to go for, not the ones you mentioned (although the vehicle stuff only picked up when we made a stink about it). Not sure how you thought headshots necessitated grinding at all. Those come just from playing the game at all basically.

Trup1aya

Not to be a dick, but assassinations and SCs are the ones that people apparently refuse to go for, not the ones you mentioned (although the vehicle stuff only picked up when we made a stink about it). Not sure how you thought headshots necessitated grinding at all. Those come just from playing the game at all basically.

As long as people are grinding something, it really shouldn't matter WHAT they are targeting. These all have a long way to go once something gets knocked off the list, I'll focus on what's left.

Its hard to go into a match trying to grind SCs and assassinations because opportunities must present themselves. If you force it, you die and get nothing.

As long as people are grinding something, it really shouldn't matter WHAT they are targeting. I'll get once something gets knocked off the list, I'll focus on what's left

It does matter though. Someone grinding headshots isn't helping get achilles. People turning off assassinations hurts. People who despise SC and refuse to do it hurts. People who refuse to play big team or warzone basically aren't helping get a bunch of the commendations.

The end result is that only a few people are ever actually working on any one thing and the lagging commendations won't get done any sooner. Knocking 1 or 2 weeks off of 30+ isn't a big help.

Like, right now, we're talking getting the achilles next fucking August.

Trup1aya

It does matter though. Someone grinding headshots isn't helping get achilles. People turning off assassinations hurts. People who despise SC and refuse to do it hurts. People who refuse to play big team or warzone basically aren't helping get a bunch of the commendations.

The end result is that only a few people are ever actually working on any one thing and the lagging commendations won't get done any sooner. Knocking 1 or 2 weeks off of 30+ isn't a big help.

Its hard to go into a match trying to grind SCs and assassinations because opportunities must present themselves. If you force it, you die and get nothing.

They're incredibly easy to grind in Warzone (and to some extent BTB), but people have to play it and want to do it.

Trup1aya

By grinding headshots i mean choosing exclusively precision weapons in Warzone. We need like 70k headshots... how does that not help get achilles?

I'm not saying i avoid sc's or assassinations , but anytime you do something that's on the list, it helps, inarguably

By grinding headshots i mean choosing exclusively precision weapons in Warzone. We need like 70k headshots... how does that not help get achilles?

I'm not saying i avoid sc's or assassinations , but anytime you do something that's on the list, it helps, inarguably

Headshots are a thing that comes from normal play. We need more people playing to get that, not people specifically going for them. But assassinations, SCs, Vehicle kills, splatters, Buckle Ups, etc. are all things people have to actually consciously try for. And in the case of assassinations, not have it disabled in options (which I know for a fact is the case with lots of people). The point is finishing achilles, which is going to come down to finishing the final commendation(s). We won't get them at any appreciably faster rate if folks aren't making a concentrated effort *right now*.

jem0208

To be fair it's the HaloGAF company, not the Achilles grinding company...

The idea of kicking people out just because they aren't grinding commendations is a bit shitty honestly.

Although if we're at capacity and people want to join I think it's fair to remove people if they haven't been active in a while.

Trup1aya

Headshots are a thing that comes from normal play. We need more people playing to get that, not people specifically going for them. But assassinations, SCs, Vehicle kills, splatters, Buckle Ups, etc. are all things people have to actually consciously try for. And in the case of assassinations, not have it disabled in options (which I know for a fact is the case with lots of people). The point is finishing achilles, which is going to come down to finishing the final commendation(s). We won't get them at any appreciably faster rate if folks aren't making a concentrated effort *right now*.

Concentrated effort means everyone needs to be targeting things on the list. Headshots come naturally, but if people are spawning rocket launchers and saws, they aren't getting headshots.

It really doesn't matter of we knock off each commendation one by one, or if we spread or attention to all remaining commendations at once. As long as every kill made goes towards achilles, it's progress all same.

To be fair it's the HaloGAF company, not the Achilles grinding company...

The idea of kicking people out just because they aren't grinding commendations is a bit shitty honestly.

Although if we're at capacity and people want to join I think it's fair to remove people if they haven't been active in a while.
What's the point of being part of any Spartan Company if you don't even play the game though? I don't see the point in caring about this unless you're being kicked out and still play a lot of Halo 5, which wouldn't be happening anyway.

But say you still don't like "outsiders" joining the HaloGAF Spartan Company, just think of it like this: A sizable portion of the Spartan Company probably doesn't even contribute anything towards HaloGAF anyway, so what's the difference? Just make believe the "outsiders" are lurkers or something, while the good name of HaloGAF grows its wings to venture into new endeavors with our newly achieved Achilles helmet. The time has come, the great journey is upon us.

Top Bottom