• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nFSjWeARAE

Snip3down (top 5 to touch the sticks in my eyes) made a great video on the current state of H5 and what he wants to see improved.

I'd agree that there's an over saturation of power weapons on maps. Look at Mercy where they have a Halo 2 beam rifle, gravity hammer and Saw all within a short distance. That's a good map where movement is killed by the beam rifle in top mid.
As for automatics, they could definitely be placed throughout maps less. I feel the Brute plasma rifle did a good job on replacing the storm rifle. The storm rifle can be used as a mid-tier power weapon that's not so prevalent on maps. I'm a bit hesitant on nerfing automatic weapons outright. In past Halos automatics have been useless, I'm glad they have some viability now, there should be situations where you should choose an automatic over a ranged weapon. Range on automatics could be reduced a bit, that won't really help that much on maps like Empire and Overgrowth though. Moving forward, they need to avoid making maps like Overgrowth and Empire and have more open sight lines. Then we can have useful automatics that won't dominate the game. Also on weapon placement, I'd also actually prefer they'd leave out REQ items like the Halo 2 BR, CE magnum, recon sighted DMR and just have more traditional weapons for arena.

I don't really agree on taking away sprint in future Halo, though I'm not strongly supportive of it either. It just means different map design, but Halo can work with or without it.

Snip3down (top 5 to touch the sticks in my eyes) made a great video on the current state of H5 and what he wants to see improved.

Great player and I'm sure a ton of the esports/hardcore/teams will agree with him. For me and friends
that used to play Halo before esports focus
this is just a big request for "can we go back to pure MLG settings of BR, grenade, no radar and small maps etc".

I've said it before, the pros helped balance out weapons and movement for the sandbox which is a big step forward but the maps, settings and gametypes just aren't what I want to play, my old school default playlist buddies don't want to play that either. I stopped playing Arena a long time ago.

343 tried to unify the pros and the defaults in a couple of game releases now, they got the closest they're ever going to get with H5 and provided all their 4v4 focus on esports during development and post support with the results of it's still not moving forward for the masses. IMO split it like the old days and give them their playlist and esports settings but return the old default playlist(s) as the mainstay in game. It's clear that's a gap that can't be closed permanently, it's literally come from your eposrts player/staff in this video.

Talking points of this video:
  • Radar is the worst and needs to be removed (agreed)
  • Certain power weapons to be tweaked and/or replaced on certain maps
  • Sprint is arguable, but would like to see it removed
  • Abundance of automatics reduced
  • Spectator mode needs to be fixed
I think that covers it. Pretty straightforward, mirrors thoughts many fans have.

Talking points:
I think that covers it. Pretty straightforward, mirrors thoughts many fans have.

Wouldn't faster base movement speed (removing sprint) with a somewhat nerfed thrust distance help? It would potentially feel like an overall faster and snappier game at all times, but without the negatives that come with sprint and large thrusts.

One of the main talking points I bring up is how sprint + thrust + clamber really breaks a lot of core map design. The fact that at the very beginning of the round each team can get on Truth's top mid is just a very bad design flaw IMO. There are many other instances where certain areas of maps are just too easy to get to without resistance and careless mistakes are a lot harder to punish when people can thrust/clamber out of view.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable for this and I'm surprised that it seems so many people are okay the way things are.

Great player and I'm sure a ton of the esports/hardcore/teams will agree with him. For me and friends
this is just a big request for "can we go back to pure MLG settings of BR, grenade, no radar and small maps etc".

I've said it before, the pros helped balance out weapons and movement for the sandbox which is a big step forward but the maps, settings and gametypes just aren't what I want to play, my old school default playlist buddies don't want to play that either. I stopped playing Arena a long time ago.

343 tried to unify the pros and the defaults in a couple of game releases now, they got the closest they're ever going to get with H5 and provided all their 4v4 focus on esports during development and post support with the results of it's still not moving forward for the masses. IMO split it like the old days and give them their playlist and esports settings but return the old default playlist(s) as the mainstay in game. It's clear that's a gap that can't be closed permanently, it's literally come from your eposrts player/staff in this video.
I think both groups of fans can agree on they are not where they would like it to be. I don't think he was calling for BR only, just that it's possible to tune automatics to still be viable while precision weapons like the magnum are not clearly inferior.

What would be the ideal default setup for you?

Also I'll fight anyone who advocates the removal of ground pound. It's just so much fun and that's coming from a person that didn't like it upon reveal. The knee jerk reactions on Halo 5's leaked gameplay are pretty funny now.

I think both groups of fans can agree on they are not where they would like it to be. I don't think he was calling for BR only, just that it's possible to tune automatics to still be viable while precision weapons like the magnum are not clearly inferior.

What would be the ideal default setup for you?

I didn't literally mean just BR but the overall requests align much the same. I like the balance of autos and pistol in H5. It was interesting to see how useless the current autos became in the anniversary playlist against the pistol, even at range. I can understand the wants and adjustments for specific groups, I just don't see defaults and MLG/HCS ever matching up really. The maps don't marry, the gametypes can somewhat be reused, the team/rank focus needs to shift between them and that's not even entering into the weapon balance or radar or new abilities per se.

No radar + highly effective precision weapons + esports type maps + sandbox designed for team/ranks + H5 quick movements = hello death to masses of Halo fans IMO. Given the latency online and regional networking those settings just scream unfair gameplay once again. Similar to H2/H3 online. Now throw in a solo vs team queue issue and it's not what I want to play, again.

Hey I don't want to stop what esports people want to play, I'm just highlighting how much attention and dedication H5 has given to esports but it's never "enough", so to speak. I think most agree the old maps are a key to fresh life and replayability, but going back to just pure precision + teams = MLG of old appears to be what this video is about. Give it to them for tournies or the uber-HCS playlist etc but don't exclude default style players again. I even posted something like 20 gamertags of Halo buddies we LAN/paintball for 10+ years together that have all stopped playing Halo due to default 4v4 stuff being out the door and WZ giving that not effective for game outcome feeling. I just don't want to see more eports dedication without some attention to good ol' default/objective maps and settings.

Just last night a buddy was saying if they had the maps and settings in H5 similar to default style, for lack of a better label, he'd still be playing H5 right now instead of Destiny or Titanfall 2.

Trup1aya

Yeah they never should have tried to unify esports and the general community. Since both sides want completely different things, we end up with a playlist of compromises that pleases neither side.

Yeah they never should have tried to unify esports and the general community. Since both sides want completely different things, we end up with a playlist of compromises that pleases neither side.

Over the last 3-4 years of development, game releases, feedback and sustain they made the best progress and outcomes unification is ever going to see IMO. It should cycle back to their design/development with the understanding more specificity within playlists is required for map design, weapon/ability settings and gametypes married up. Use the pros to balance weapons, routes, callouts, movements, sight lines, ranks etc. Strip back their settings for their playlist as they wish. Go nuts with default playlist(s) in terms of weapons, vehicles, gametypes and maps from that base. Expand on WZ from there, the REQ is brilliant and tons of fun. Maps should be designed specifically for their playlists, less reuse more design/development.

Arena should belong to HCS and esports. WZ is a great addition, love it. Default and BTB need to come back in their own ways, with their own maps, settings, expanded weapons/vehicles and gametypes. The rotational playlists have been fun and keep a flux of population for the niches to enjoy variety. However I agree with you that HCS is missing what they want exactly, so are the ol' default players.

NOKYARD

Also I'll fight anyone who advocates the removal of ground pound. It's just so much fun and that's coming from a person that didn't like it upon reveal. The knee jerk reactions on Halo 5's leaked gameplay are pretty funny now.

I agree. We're NOT removing GP from Grifball any time soon.

daedalius

So my left bumper is super stiff and doesn't feel like it's working correctly, I'm sure my son probably dropped it one too many times.

Is there any way I can fix it? Does MS fix them? It's one of the master chief controllers, not sure if they make those anymore.

So my left bumper is super stiff and doesn't feel like it's working correctly, I'm sure my son probably dropped it one too many times.

Is there any way I can fix it? Does MS fix them? It's one of the master chief controllers, not sure if they make those anymore.

Controllers are almost impossible to get registered for the warranty (website does not like their serial number) so you're probably fucked. Kits exist for DIY fixes but I know little else about it. My right bumper snapped on my MC controller and I always meant to repair it myself, I just never got around to it.

Am I missing something else? Idk man I'm out of the Halo loop. This is the update to bring me back.
There's outta the loop, and there's outta the loop lol. Not to mention all the CGB talk going on not too long ago :b

But yeah, I've been seeing a lot of people saying that same thing, how this is the update they've been waiting for. Let's just hope the execution is there.

BizzyBum

TPgbggk.png

giphy.gif

Talking points of this video:

Also, splinter grenades have to go, they are soooo fucking cheap and hang around for so bloody long.

Concentrated effort means everyone needs to be targeting things on the list. Headshots come naturally, but if people are spawning rocket launchers and saws, they aren't getting headshots.

It really doesn't matter of we knock off each commendation one by one, or if we spread or attention to all remaining commendations at once. As long as every kill made goes towards achilles, it's progress all same.

Sorry for the late reply and bringing this convo back up (just got back to civilization).

I understand that *technically* speaking, getting headshots at this point is helping, but I'm willing to wager that many of the folks getting those are getting little (or none) towards the other commendations. In the end, we effectively get achilles no sooner because even with a couple more people who go from "I'm gettin' headshots" to "I'm gettin' Ass/SCs" we're still looking at something like 8 more months.

Let's use your warzone example that you keep bringing up. For the most part, what kinds of kills are you getting before level 5 or so? Pistol/BR, often headshots. From that point, you can call in active camos and get some easy mode ass's. Or a damage boost and get easy mode SC's (especially when your team is defending/attacking a base - the garages are great for this). A couple more levels and you spawn in some tanks or mantises and get some ground vehicle kills, or if you get a quick advantage on the other team, some ghost ultras and get some kills+splatters. In every case, at least a few headshots are basically guaranteed and don't need to be actively focused on. Everything else that's actually going to take us the full 8 months to finish needs focus until/unless the company is more active/plays literally at all/etc.

I wasn't trying to argue with you. I was trying to drive home the stark reality of our situation. Anybody playing any mode (other than firefight or grifball really) is contributing to the headshots. But for the ground vehicle kills, splatters, assassinations, SCs, and buckle ups (I think those are the ones), we basically NEED people to play warzone and/or BTB and make an effort to get them.

Of course, like TCKaos has noted before, something like over 1/3 of the company doesn't contribute *anything* because they literally don't play, or only play firefight, if at all, so some swaps would help.

In any case, something needs to happen if we want this before H6 comes out. I agree with giving folks a chance with a new update coming out. But that's what we said about the last 2 updates and folks promised they would be all over that shit but the company was practically dead in a week again.

jem0208

What's the point of being part of any Spartan Company if you don't even play the game though? I don't see the point in caring about this unless you're being kicked out and still play a lot of Halo 5, which wouldn't be happening anyway.

But say you still don't like "outsiders" joining the HaloGAF Spartan Company, just think of it like this: A sizable portion of the Spartan Company probably doesn't even contribute anything towards HaloGAF anyway, so what's the difference? Just make believe the "outsiders" are lurkers or something, while the good name of HaloGAF grows its wings to venture into new endeavors with our newly achieved Achilles helmet. The time has come, the great journey is upon us.
I think you misread my post.

People can still be playing the game without grinding commendations.

I think you misread my post.

People can still be playing the game without grinding commendations.
My good sir, I think you misread my post lol. I said if someone is still playing H5, they wouldn't get booted. And plus, there's no way to tell how much progress towards the grind each of us have put in anyway.

My good sir, I think you misread my post lol. I said if someone is still playing H5, they wouldn't get booted. And plus, there's no way to tell how much progress towards the grind each of us have put in anyway.

You can however look at game history and see if they are even playing applicable gametypes, which a large number of people are not.

ultimota

You can however look at game history and see if they are even playing applicable gametypes, which a large number of people are not.

was gonna ask to hop over from my private one with friends to the halogaf SC but damn i just wana play not stress about if i'm getting the right medals D:

jem0208

I did say I was fine with kicking inactive people assuming we don’t have any room left.

I don’t think we should be kicking people who are playing the game but aren’t grinding commendations though.

I was chilling at the kill commendations the other day, there is still a LOT to do... there is no way we will get here imo.

One example is marine kills... warzone used the be my fav mode but it just isn't worth playing now with the team domination, randoms don't play it anymore because being slaughtered is not fun.

Good luck killing marines when youre pinned

was gonna ask to hop over from my private one with friends to the halogaf SC but damn i just wana play not stress about if i'm getting the right medals D:

To be honest, at this point, if you're playing at all, you're helping more than ~40% of current members.

daedalius

Sorry for the late reply and bringing this convo back up (just got back to civilization).

I understand that *technically* speaking, getting headshots at this point is helping, but I'm willing to wager that many of the folks getting those are getting little (or none) towards the other commendations. In the end, we effectively get achilles no sooner because even with a couple more people who go from "I'm gettin' headshots" to "I'm gettin' Ass/SCs" we're still looking at something like 8 more months.

Let's use your warzone example that you keep bringing up. For the most part, what kinds of kills are you getting before level 5 or so? Pistol/BR, often headshots. From that point, you can call in active camos and get some easy mode ass's. Or a damage boost and get easy mode SC's (especially when your team is defending/attacking a base - the garages are great for this). A couple more levels and you spawn in some tanks or mantises and get some ground vehicle kills, or if you get a quick advantage on the other team, some ghost ultras and get some kills+splatters. In every case, at least a few headshots are basically guaranteed and don't need to be actively focused on. Everything else that's actually going to take us the full 8 months to finish needs focus until/unless the company is more active/plays literally at all/etc.

I wasn't trying to argue with you. I was trying to drive home the stark reality of our situation. Anybody playing any mode (other than firefight or grifball really) is contributing to the headshots. But for the ground vehicle kills, splatters, assassinations, SCs, and buckle ups (I think those are the ones), we basically NEED people to play warzone and/or BTB and make an effort to get them.

Of course, like TCKaos has noted before, something like over 1/3 of the company doesn't contribute *anything* because they literally don't play, or only play firefight, if at all, so some swaps would help.

In any case, something needs to happen if we want this before H6 comes out. I agree with giving folks a chance with a new update coming out. But that's what we said about the last 2 updates and folks promised they would be all over that shit but the company was practically dead in a week again.

And I thought I didn't play very much!

Trup1aya

Did i advocate for NOT getting SCs and assassinations? You act like I'm out getting headshots at the expense of getting other things on the list. The point is, everyone needs to be calling in weapons/vehicles that actually work towards the goals. Between lvl 1 and 5, people need to be using precision weapons, unless they are God on a gungoose.

Headshots need to be focused on in the sense that people need to be using the right weapons until vehicles are available. That's literally all I'm saying.

Using precision weapons until level 4 or 5 IS BETTER than calling in wasps and storm rifles. It INARGUABLY will help get the headshot commendation come FASTER.

I use precision weapons so that i'll get headshots until req level 4 allows me to target splatters, ground vehicle kills, and at 6 buckle up. All of which work towards the goal. If the opportunity to get an SC or assassination presents itself, I take it. As more commendations get knocked off, I'll adjust my playstyle towards the remaining ones.

My strategy is effective. It's not like it's not like I'm BRing people that i could have assassinated.

What difference does it make if I go for ground vehicle kills at level 4 or camp a base for SCs? Both are sorely needed. With ground vehicles i can work two commendations at the same time. When we get those out of the way, I'll spend lvl 4-6+ focusing more on assassinations and SCs.

Speaking of which, are bayonet SCs 1hks?do they count towards the commendation?

I'm going to say this one last time, because it appears you are reading some stuff into my comments that I don't believe I implied. My warzone example wasn't meant to be some script you had to follow or else "you're doing it wrong". Just a what-if of how to approach some things.

I'm talking about the *rate of completion* of the different commendations relative to one another. The rate of headshots vs the rate of vehicle kills is not even close. The rate gap between those and SCs/assassinations is even bigger.

My entire point with actually doing the math is that we need people actively prioritizing certain commendations that require specific playstyles or decisions. Headshots is not one of those. That will come well before any of the others and meanwhile they'll have been languishing in commendation hell for months with little to no change in the rate at which they are completed. Again, if we want to cut that 8 (or more) month timeframe by any appreciable amount, we need prioritization and those are the commendations that need it the most.

There have been people on here that are company members that have explicitly stated that they don't do spartan charges because they don't like the mechanic. Practically speaking, they are not making a real difference in the needed commendations. Same with people who've made the decision since launch to disable assassinations. All that matters as far as how long it takes us to get the helmet is how long it takes us to complete the slowest commendation. Urging people to actively go for those will net us the other, easier commendations essentially as a side effect.

Again, it doesn't matter how fast we get the headshots completed if there's still a 6 month gap afterwards to finish the others. Headshots is a non-issue.

EDIT: No, bayonets do not SC in one hit (which imo is fucking stupid and should be the case) unless you have damage boost applied just like with a standard weapon. This foward-looking worry is why myself and Zoso were begging people to use their speed boosts to get SCs while that was still a thing, because getting any noticeable amount of them otherwise is annoying/grindy. Surprise! People still wouldn't fucking do it!

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
thank goodness for the server browser! i downloaded it on PC but too much bother to find a game since it has to be all done manually. a server browser will be great.

Ade

Achilles is tearing us apart

343 pls help

Honestly most of them we will get by *just playing* the problem is about half the SC doesn't play.

Im all for waiting a week after the update, looking at who is actually playing and then filling the other spots with people who do play.

Watch they announce new commendations to achieve, for a new set of armor within the Spartan Companies lol.

They want to watch The
HaloGAF
Burn.

Trup1aya

I'm going to say this one last time, because it appears you are reading some stuff into my comments that I don't believe I implied. My warzone example wasn't meant to be some script you had to follow or else "you're doing it wrong". Just a what-if of how to approach some things.

I'm talking about the *rate of completion* of the different commendations relative to one another. The rate of headshots vs the rate of vehicle kills is not even close. The rate gap between those and SCs/assassinations is even bigger.

My entire point with actually doing the math is that we need people actively prioritizing certain commendations that require specific playstyles or decisions. Headshots is not one of those. That will come well before any of the others and meanwhile they'll have been languishing in commendation hell for months with little to no change in the rate at which they are completed. Again, if we want to cut that 8 (or more) month timeframe by any appreciable amount, we need prioritization and those are the commendations that need it the most.

There have been people on here that are company members that have explicitly stated that they don't do spartan charges because they don't like the mechanic. Practically speaking, they are not making a real difference in the needed commendations. Same with people who've made the decision since launch to disable assassinations. All that matters as far as how long it takes us to get the helmet is how long it takes us to complete the slowest commendation. Urging people to actively go for those will net us the other, easier commendations essentially as a side effect.

Again, it doesn't matter how fast we get the headshots completed if there's still a 6 month gap afterwards to finish the others. Headshots is a non-issue.

EDIT: No, bayonets do not SC in one hit (which imo is fucking stupid and should be the case) unless you have damage boost applied just like with a standard weapon. This foward-looking worry is why myself and Zoso were begging people to use their speed boosts to get SCs while that was still a thing, because getting any noticeable amount of them otherwise is annoying/grindy. Surprise! People still wouldn't fucking do it!

Not to be a dick, but assassinations and SCs are the ones that people apparently refuse to go for, not the ones you mentioned (although the vehicle stuff only picked up when we made a stink about it). Not sure how you thought headshots necessitated grinding at all. Those come just from playing the game at all basically.

The entire quest for achilles is a grind. You just gotta stop being so pretentious. If people are playing firefight or spawning powerweapons in Warzone, then they aren't getting moving the company towards the goals. Thats my point. Anyone who using precision weapons, spawning vehicles, sniping drivers, spartan charging, and assassinating is on the right track. Hopefully they are finding/creating ways to do many of those things in each match.

Headshots don't 'just happen' from playing the game. They happen from playing the game, using the right weapons and playing the right gamemodes.

My approach targets specific commendations. I'm not doing something useless between req levels 1-4. I'm choosing weapons that help the company. Honestly, i have trouble targeting SCs and Assassination before powerups get involved. Si its much more efficient fot me to get my req level up with precision weapons, then get into vehicles. Just about every kill I get goes towards achilles. Theres nothing wrong with favoring splatters and ground vehicle kills at the moment, then switching to SCs and Assassinations or vice versa.

Anyway, whats the math behind damage boosts and spartan charges?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

You can buy replacement bumpers. They are a little tricky to install though, on my elite I occasionally simultaneously throw a grenade when I jump (bumper jumper).

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
All this for a helmet most won't rock for long. It's... kind of ugly.

Top Bottom