• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

wwm0nkey

71fb1ae4ea671da015c892d71b042f3d.png

Already being used for cool things after like an hour lol

Defect

Social 4v4

Social 4v4

Social 4v4

What a time to be alive
It's nice but I know after a few matches it'll be sweaty town again and there would be no reason to play. For me at least.

They need to get rid of the hidden skill matching in social unless they already did that with this update.

Strider

lol so yea. Social playlist still using that hidden skill rating. All familiar faces all the time... Matched against Vetoed right now actually

Trup1aya

I'm so glad to hear about the aiming improvements.

It's also cool to see people on pc able to get full lobbies in seconds.

If H6 releases with these features, and a good campaign, i can't see it not being a hit.

Akai__

Hmmh, seeing that Forge also didn't get the FOV update (which was planned according to Tom French) makes me believe that they also forgot the aim update...

BECAUSE, aiming actually feels good on Xbox One. Totally different from what I played on PC earlier today. On PC, and I told this my 8 viewers in the stream aswell, it still felt like you were dragging your aim through mud.

Also 1st match on Orion II. I meet a friend of a friend and Detective from GAF. Small world. :D

---

Bug report:

When in Multiplayer screen, you can use RB to switch from Ranked, Social and Warzone. However, you can't switch back with LB and go back from Warzone to Social or to Ranked anymore. You also can't reach Custom Games or Custom Game Browser.

What's the point of social with hidden ranks?

Theoretically, I assume it's because it would be a really shitty experience for everybody but the best players after a while. Getting wrecked ain't fun, so bad players are going to stop playing (since they'd be playing their betters much more often than with skill matching).

Your average skill is going to go up as bad players leave, meaning more and more players are going to be consistently losing and then stop playing, until you have evaporated your population to the very intense and the very masochistic.

That being said, tight skill matching in Social defeats the purpose. It needs to be ballpark, not people whose names you recognize. Everybody knows what to expect in social, to a point. Casual players can brush off losses since it doesn't matter, and good players can try as hard as they want without consequence.

Strider

It's so difficult for me to see Red enemies onthe new Pegasus

Edit: Also seems the framerate drops on the map. Guess that's some type of bug with Forge as a whole and not just bigger BTB maps.

Trup1aya

What's the point of social with hidden ranks?

You have to have some sort of hidden rank. If for nothing else to have balanced teams.

So if you cast the wide enough to match get 4 hidden golds and 4 hidden onyx in a match, that's fine. But it would be a better experience for all if there were two onyx on each team. You couldn't balance a team unless the system learned something about each players abilities.

E92 M3

To avoid/minimize steam rolls. Usually social ranks have broader matching for skill to make matches start faster.

Bungie did it too. It's not anything new.

Theoretically, I assume it's because it would be a really shitty experience for everybody but the best players after a while. Getting wrecked ain't fun, so bad players are going to stop playing (since they'd be playing their betters much more often than with skill matching).

Your average skill is going to go up as bad players leave, meaning more and more players are going to be consistently losing and then stop playing, until you have evaporated your population to the very intense and the very masochistic.

That being said, tight skill matching in Social defeats the purpose. It needs to be ballpark, not people whose names you recognize. Everybody knows what to expect in social, to a point. Casual players can brush off losses since it doesn't matter, and good players can try as hard as they want without consequence.

You have to have some sort of hidden rank. If for nothing else to have balanced teams.

So if you cast the wide enough to match get 4 hidden golds and 4 hidden onyx in a match, that's fine. But it would be a better experience for all if their were two onyx on each team.

Those are valid concerns, but I still think that social should be like the wild west which only prioritizes connection. Some matches will be stomps, but most will not be,

Trup1aya

Those are valid concerns, but I still think that social should be like the wild west which only prioritizes connection. Some matches will be stomps, but most will not be,

#1 Priority SHOULD be connection quality. But match quality should ALWAYS be a concern. Why should a dev intentionally allow for a shitty experience? That would be like not having pay restrictions in a ranked playlist :kappa:

I find it "weird" try hard players complain about matching other try hard players in social. As if it's evidence that the system is broken. Even if it was the wild west, that would happen. More importantly, if they simply didn't try so hard all the time, their hidden mmr wouldn't be so high.

BizzyBum

I don't know, I'm not really seeing a huge difference in aiming personally. I guess it's slightly better, but going by those tweets a week ago it made it sound like it was a total overhaul. It's still not close to being as clean as other shooters.

Also, wasn't there supposed to be a Mythic Firefight? I just see Heroic and Legendary. I tried out Legendary and didn't notice it being any harder.

Trup1aya

I don't know, I'm not really seeing a huge difference in aiming personally. I guess it's slightly better, but going by those tweets a week ago it made it sound like it was a total overhaul. It's still not close to being as clean as other shooters.

Also, wasn't there supposed to be a Mythic Firefight? I just see Heroic and Legendary. I tried out Legendary and didn't notice it being any harder.

I think Firefight enemies were previously set to legendary. Then they toned then back for Heroic Firefight.

I think I read that Mythic Firefight is a weekend only playlist.

Top Bottom