• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Welfare

Uh yeah, now would be the perfect time for a pop counter. I can't tell if playlists are even populated because search times are so slow.

link1201

#1 Priority SHOULD be connection quality. But match quality should ALWAYS be a concern. Why should a dev intentionally allow for a shitty experience? That would be like not having pay restrictions in a ranked playlist :kappa:

I find it "weird" try hard players complain about matching other try hard players in social. As if it's evidence that the system is broken. Even if it was the wild west, that would happen. More importantly, if they simply didn't try so hard all the time, their hidden mmr wouldn't be so high.

I think the whole ranked/unranked debate or mindset is fascinating. I'd love to read a psychological study on it. It seems really divisive.

Akai__

Holy shit:

c0f0f0B.gif
Sentinel Beam + Pro Pipe

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I don't know, I'm not really seeing a huge difference in aiming personally. I guess it's slightly better, but going by those tweets a week ago it made it sound like it was a total overhaul. It's still not close to being as clean as other shooters.

The initial problem was (while based on real objective settings and a real phenomenon) and incredibly subtle and subjective thing, almost like how cilantro tastes like cilantro for the bulk of the population, but LITERALLY tastes like soap to a small subset. So we'll see if the soap taste is gone for those folks, or at least better, but 99% of players won't and shouldn't notice a big difference.

I'm not downplaying its importance, just clarifying that it was a very subtle thing that for a few folks had an unsubtle effect.

I think the issue is that if matching makes every game just as sweaty as ranked, then it's just a waste of a playlist.

You shouldn't have to play your worst just so later games you don't match the equivalent of champions all the time. Personally, it's not fun to "not try" and its not easy or fun to feign BK status. In any case you shouldn't have to do that for social matching to work. Not matching parties is the real issue. It doesn't matter how good I am when the other team is a full party of slightly less good players and my team is full of low level players that are missing thumbs.

The initial problem was (while based on real objective settings and a real phenomenon) and incredibly subtle and subjective thing, almost like how cilantro tastes like cilantro for the bulk of the population, but LITERALLY tastes like soap to a small subset. So we'll see if the soap taste is gone for those folks, or at least better, but 99% of players won't and shouldn't notice a big difference.

I'm not downplaying its importance, just clarifying that it was a very subtle thing that for a few folks had an unsubtle effect.

But its good when you dabble a lil on top of Carnitas Tacos!!!!!!!!

BizzyBum

Ah, gotcha.

Will aiming continue to be worked on and refined or is it pretty much set?

BizzyBum

Well there’s nothing actually wrong with the aiming now.

Input lag was an objective problem, the sensitivity curve differences are pretty subjective.

I was just expecting aiming like Titanfall 2. I just grossly overhyped my expectations for the aiming adjustments. lol

I can down sample now with this update, finally nice to go higher than 1080p. One thing that does need to be fixed though is the fact more than 16 people can join a lobby, that keeps happening in all the custom games I'm joining through the browser.

I just ate some Gorditas of Carnitas with hot sauce, onions and cilantro damn that condition sounds terrible

psyfi

Banned
Uh yeah, now would be the perfect time for a pop counter. I can't tell if playlists are even populated because search times are so slow.
Yeah, I've been searching in Team Arena for five minutes. It was like this yesterday too, though.

The Reach Grenade Launcher...

I'm home, y'all. So happy. ;_;
UGH YES, so stoked. Is it on any arena maps?

Fuchsdh

They're up now for me...ymmv though.

Where can you actually buy the Voices of War pack, though? Not seeing it with all the other REQ pack options...

EDIT: Also, these Astro A50s are definitely comfortable and the surround sound works well enough, but man the audio quality is noticeably worse than my ATH-M30Xs, which cost half as much. A lot of muddier bass.

jem0208

I was just expecting aiming like Titanfall 2. I just grossly overhyped my expectations for the aiming adjustments. lol

Well Halo wouldn't work with an aiming system like Titanfall's. The guns work very differently and so the aiming has to be different.

Guns are fairly inaccurate when hipfiring in Titanfall and so the aiming doesn't need to be particularly precise. This means the aiming speed is quite high so you can turn very quickly. You only really need precise aim when you ADS, and so when you scope the aiming sensitivity is greatly reduced. Basically in Titanfall you have a button toggle to switch between "turn speed" and "aim speed".

In Halo guns are almost perfectly accurate when both hipfiring and zoomed. This means you need to be able to both aim precisely at all ranges and turn quickly without a button toggle. This is why there's a sudden jump in aiming sensitivity at large stick deflections, it's when you switch from "aim speed" to "turn speed".

link1201

Where can you actually buy the Voices of War pack, though? Not seeing it with all the other REQ pack options...

EDIT: Also, these Astro A50s are definitely comfortable and the surround sound works well enough, but man the audio quality is noticeably worse than my ATH-M30Xs, which cost half as much. A lot of muddier bass.
Coming at around 2 pacific :Source Reddit

Sordid

Server selection is still horrendous, wtf. Had dudes hit me with spartan charges and get nothing then other times they missed me and took my shields down. This isn't even a rage post, we won and I was positive. Felt rubbish to play though.

Why do you hate me so, 343?

Trup1aya

I think the issue is that if matching makes every game just as sweaty as ranked, then it's just a waste of a playlist.

You shouldn't have to play your worst just so later games you don't match the equivalent of champions all the time. Personally, it's not fun to "not try" and its not easy or fun to feign BK status. In any case you shouldn't have to do that for social matching to work. Not matching parties is the real issue. It doesn't matter how good I am when the other team is a full party of slightly less good players and my team is full of low level players that are missing thumbs.

I agree. But it seems like the people who complain are often complaining because they REALLY want to win, but dont want to try too hard to do so. The social playlist ISNT about letting highly skilled players stomp everyone.its about players of all levels being able to come togethwr and have an enjoyable experience.

A team of 4 would-be Champs making a to4 and jumping in to social would make for a horrible experience for the majority of the people they come across if the game didnt track skill at all.

There needs to be a system in place for knowing how good players are, so that teams arent frequently lopsided. And there needs to be protections for solo players so they arent getting full squads.

Beyond that there's nothing wrong with having a wide skill range present within a match.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
lol so yea. Social playlist still using that hidden skill rating. All familiar faces all the time... Matched against Vetoed right now actually

hopefully its "looser" or lessened in the future

Speaking of ranking systems, i did my 9 games yesterday in swat, had the worst 9 games ive had in a long time.

Once it was over, i was in the higher Diamonds. That didnt feel right at all. I played so bad.

E92 M3

#1 Priority SHOULD be connection quality. But match quality should ALWAYS be a concern. Why should a dev intentionally allow for a shitty experience? That would be like not having pay restrictions in a ranked playlist :kappa:

I find it "weird" try hard players complain about matching other try hard players in social. As if it's evidence that the system is broken. Even if it was the wild west, that would happen. More importantly, if they simply didn't try so hard all the time, their hidden mmr wouldn't be so high.

I'm a casual halo scrub now that wants to give this game another try. Been hitting Titanfall 2 hard (gen 10 lol).

SCRAP the current ranking system and make a brand new one!
One in regards to RANKING
One in regards to Skill*

Ranking + Skill = RANK GAME TYPES of all tiers we currently have. (bronze, silver, gold, platinum, diamond, onyx, champion. )

Social lists will use a separate version of just skill and separate them into a lesser amount of tiers. like 4 total tiers so there are larger pools of people to play with.

*Skill will base on a persons KDA.

WAIT NVM - that's rubbish cause when someone has a kda of 12 in infection or BTB they will match with someone of actual skill that might get a kda of 12 in a sweaty match. Like if a champion player played only social 4v4 and did REALLY good, they would pair up against that person who got that lucky kda of 12 in infection. lulz. good thing im not a video game programmer! AMIRITE GUYZ?

RoKKeR

Love the idea of Battle Gold but as it stands it is way too hard at the moment haha

Edit: Holy shit the map changes! Never mind (?)

Top Bottom