• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I hope halo 6 returns to 30 fps

For xbox one ghetto while i rock 60 on scorpio :rock

Madness

Did ninja quit halo?

I saw him scrimming a few days ago with Naded and them. I wouldn't blame him. He gets 5 times the viewers with H1Z1 than he does Halo. He gets tons of shit from Halo fans who always complain and yet he gets crazy donations from H1Z1. One guy gave him like 62k in a single day. Plus same guy gave his now fiance $10k. When you get that much money and you aren't really on a top Halo team and HCS Pro League online isn't fun to play, who can blame him. He is getting married soon etc.

UKUMI0

Just got my Halo Crate and sadly it didn't have the energy sword in it because Australia.

It did have a nifty little metal wallet thing, so there's that at least.

Also it seems certain people were chosen for a "gold badge program" because I've gotten three gold badges so far, not complaining, just noting the trend.

Sadly I can't really recommend the Halo Crate to anyone who isn't a die hard fan, really into the lore or has disposable income.

It just isn't worth what you get in the box, but I'll continue buying the crate regardless because I love Halo too much and because every now and then you get a gem, like the mug in this months crate

Just got my Halo Crate and sadly it didn't have the energy sword in it because Australia.

It did have a nifty little metal wallet thing, so there's that at least.

Also it seems certain people were chosen for a "gold badge program" because I've gotten three gold badges so far, not complaining, just noting the trend.

Sadly I can't really recommend the Halo Crate to anyone who isn't a die hard fan, really into the lore or has disposable income.

It just isn't worth what you get in the box, but I'll continue buying the crate regardless because I love Halo too much and because every now and then you get a gem, like the mug in this months crate

Yeah I already get the DC Comics Funko box, and I can't justify spending money on another box, especially an underwhelming one.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
While there is a slight chance that the silver>gold route will be cheaper, the safest bet is to go bronze>silver>gold

Inevitably, you'll get a bunch of silver packs that only get you bronze level unlocks...this wasting your RP.

Has everyone seen this map?me thinks, I'd play the hell out of BTB if this was in heavy rotation.

It's easy on the eyes and has fun sight lines and vehicles

https://youtu.be/OpXULTTL_2M

This looks great. Good candidate for HaloGAF customs nights. *hint hint*

Okay, so I just spent about 6 hours straight playing the game. I want to vent.

The game is simply great. Great mechanics, great controls, great shooting, and great weapon balance. With that said...

Holy shit at the 3 power weapons on the map at once. Truth has camo, fuel rod, Hydra, and sword. Eden has shotgun, sniper, Hydra, and rockets...Etc etc. Can we not? This is custom games level of silly.

Holy shit at the constant BS of putting shots into people for them to simply get away unpunished by clambering and thrusting away out of view. Something has got to change...Yes I can do it too, but that doesn't make it fun or interesting. Watching stupid moves and bad plays/mistakes go unpunished so easily is infuriating.

Holy shit at the plasma rifle. It's a power weapon?

And please for the love of God, the radar shenanigans has gone on long enough in every single Halo. No, it's not a problem unique to H5, but man does it completely ruin and stagnate matches. Someone gets the lead, grabs power weapon, and waits for red dots to assure them more easy kills. Can we please stop this shit? Countering it by crouch ambushing will often work, but it's boring and rapidly drains the clock.

This isn't just me stating this. I had casuals in my party raging at similar things.

Otherwise I honestly love the game. Now that I'm fully over the fact that this isn't Halo as I want it, I still find myself drawn to it.

Trup1aya

The game is simply great. Great mechanics, great controls, great shooting, and great weapon balance. With that said...

Holy shit at the 3 power weapons on the map at once. Truth has camo, fuel rod, Hydra, and sword. Eden has shotgun, sniper, Hydra, and rockets...Etc etc. Can we not? This is custom games level of silly.

Holy shit at the constant BS of putting shots into people for them to simply get away unpunished by clambering and thrusting away out of view. Something has got to change...Yes I can do it too, but that doesn't make it fun or interesting. Watching stupid moves and bad plays/mistakes go unpunished so easily is infuriating.

And please for the love of God, the radar shenanigans has gone on long enough in every single Halo. No, it's not a problem unique to H5, but man does it completely ruin and stagnate matches. Someone gets the lead, grabs power weapon, and waits for red dots to assure them more easy kills. Can we please stop this shit? Countering it by crouch ambushing will often work, but it's boring and rapidly drains the clock.

This isn't just me stating this. I had casuals in my party raging at similar things.

Otherwise I honestly love the game. Now that I'm fully over the fact that this isn't Halo as I want it, I still find myself drawn to it.

Yes there are too many powerweapons on many maps. Yes the storm rifle is extremely OP (autos are pretty op general). These issues plus radar compound to make campy or snowbally games far to often.

I haven't really had an issue with people clambering to safety (its a slow predictable animation). And if the game was designed without clamber, i imagine these same players would be able to jump to safety. I actually want clamber gone because i hate that maps are designed with the requirement that i put my gun down to navigate.

Thrust feels like a decent addition to the moveset honestly.

My main mechanical gripe is currently sprint. If it's going to be in, they need to go the UT round. 3 second activation period + taking damage knocks you out of sprint. This would prevent sprint from dominating map design, and it would nerf spartan charge.

That has to be the dumbest argument ive ever heard. You cant be able to run away cause its halo? Ridiculous.

link1201

I actually like that you can sometimes get yourself out of bad situations in Halo 5. Halo 5 is leaps and bounds better than Halo Reach in that regard. Halo:Reach was silly sometimes. Be a rock for a few moments while backup arrived for example. I'd argue at least in Halo 5 you get the chance to be smart about your engagements even when you end up in a bad spot. I think it punishes you for being clueless though as it should.

Woorloog

Banned
I remember how Halo 3's inconsistent BR let people away sometimes... Really wish Bungie had made 110% damage standard in that game, really improved things overall, with no real negative effects.

Don't feel this happens in Halo 5. If people are fast enough to get away, that's either due to attackers lack of accuracy or due to the victim's skill.

Fuchsdh

Don't feel this happens in Halo 5. If people are fast enough to get away, that's either due to attackers lack of accuracy or due to the victim's skill.

I am the master of stripping someone's shields and then whiffing every headshot to finish them off while they turn the corners.

Fuchsdh

Yes... i know the feeling. It is like people suddenly get a negative magnetic field around their heads.

I really should just go for the body shots when I miss the first shot, although depending on the situation they might not get killed in time. It'd be interesting to see on average and depending on your overall accuracy and engagement ranges whether you should go for headshot or body shots.

Strider

I am still very much of the opinion that friendly fire should be turned off for social. There is far and away too much team killing and shit happening in that playlist and it gets incredibly annoying

Novocaine

Been having a hard time finding matches for WZ, WZFF and social lately. Anyone else having this problem? Maybe it's because I'm in Australia.

Fuchsdh

Don't do it guys, whoever organizes it is semi-guaranteed to be hired by343i.

It's happened before.

I don't even remember when customs nights were held, but it'd be nice to do them again (especially since the browser means we could much more easily fill in slots and play larger games.)

So many mini games and awesome looking maps I haven't played since they aren't in MM rotation.

I don't even remember when customs nights were held, but it'd be nice to do them again (especially since the browser means we could much more easily fill in slots and play larger games.)

So many mini games and awesome looking maps I haven't played since they aren't in MM rotation.

Halo 4 sometime. I can't even remember the order of MCC being a shitshow or HaloGAF being shut down, but the community was almost deaded for a while.

Didn't you organize some previously? I know Tashi did some before he was composed, or hired or whatever.

I'd be down to play, but if I planned them we would only play different color variations of MLG The Octagon.

op_ivy

Don't do it guys, whoever organizes it is semi-guaranteed to be hired by343i.

It's happened before.

If we do run customs with new candidates for matchmaking make sure to also run Btb pistol starts. And 4v4 no radar! Three birds with one stone.

Tashi pls

That has to be the dumbest argument ive ever heard. You cant be able to run away cause its halo? Ridiculous.

Why did you read what I said that way? Of course there will always be situations you can run away. That's not what I'm saying at all. And why do you have to be an ass about it?

I'm simply stating the obvious. People frequently make huge mistakes or put themselves out into the open with little to no consequences by being able to span large gaps of space to safety by thrusting, clambering, sprinting, or a combination of those.
Edit: To clarify, I'm not arguing to get rid of these abilities necessarily. I'm just stating that I feel some adjustments need to be made going into Halo 6 where stupid aggressive players making bad plays are more appropriately punished. With the current damage output of weapons, speed of movement etc, it's especially easy to be a mindless dummy and get away with it (unless you are playing against a highly skilled and coordinated team, which will always be the case no matter what so I exclude that reasoning from my argument).

I think the CE playlist with the M6D was a great demonstration of that fact. The abilities played really nice with the high output of damage of that weapon. People putting themselves in harms way by making bad choices were wiped clean almost every time. It was wonderful.

I waited until I got some of my skill back in this game before commenting. I played the MCC to make sure I'm not crazy.

I don't think there is any other Halo where I put people to 1 shot no shields so often without getting the kill. There is no other Halo where I can get out of dodge so easily.

Opinions and all, but I think this issue bothers me the most with Halo 5 and other modern shooters. Watched Ogre2 play Halo 5 and he has stated this too. It's just frustrating.

I remember how Halo 3's inconsistent BR let people away sometimes... Really wish Bungie had made 110% damage standard in that game, really improved things overall, with no real negative effects.

I rewatched some of my plays and there were many times where someone would be many feet out of cover and I either put them to zero shields with my shots or a well placed grenade and *wooosh!* they thrust out of the way behind cover or out of site due to elevation changes and site angles. In other Halo's they would have been a done for. Other times, take Empire for instance, people will come out of the shotgun tower area via the side ramps and get shot at only to turn around and sprint+clamber right back through the windows to safety. Sure, if I had another teammate shooting at him it wouldn't have been a problem. Previous Halo's had terrible latency/lag and host shenanigans that made these issues feel similar. Perhaps it's similar networking woes going on. However, seeing them get away like this repeatedly without me having a chance to kill them ( while making every shot) is fatiguing.

op_ivy

Got betrayed for rockets then banned from chat for 24hrs for saying fuck you to the guy. Cool.

J-Roderton

Sorry for the dumb post, but, maybe I just don't get it. Like 99% of the stuff I get in these card packs are just weapons and vehicles. Is all of this only used to spawn stuff in war zone?? Is that the primary point of the Req stuff????

I mean, I can kind of get your complaint Fahz, but not really.

Previous Halos just had a different point at which you were "punished". Smart players in previous games would hang near cover so they could easily run away to survive. Halo 5 is similar, just with different mobility. You complain that people aren't punished for making bad plays, but you're presupposing that it was a bad play. Knowing the range you can push and safely get back to cover after engaging is just game knowledge. Knowing how long you can engage safely in a 1v1, knowing what angles you can get hit from, knowing your escape routes, etc - all of these are game knowledge. Predicting your enemy's movements and decisions is a core halo skill since the beginning.

I feel like you just need to have a different mindset in approaching engagements. Yes, this isn't the same as older halos, but neither was any halo sequel before it, and one has to adjust their playstyle accordingly.

Sorry for the dumb post, but, maybe I just don't get it. Like 99% of the stuff I get in these card packs are just weapons and vehicles. Is all of this only used to spawn stuff in war zone?? Is that the primary point of the Req stuff????

Weapons/vehicles/powerups are single-use cards for warzone. XP/RP boosts are for either warzone or arena (stated on card). Emblems, armor, helmets, assassinations, stances, etc. are universal in game.

I messaged him fuck you, he reported me. I also reported him for the betrayal, but yeah, that does nothing

lol... That's so stupid. The whole Xbox live report system is so messed up.

I got banned from Xbox Live for dominating in Gears of War Ultimate Edition at launch because people reported me falsely for "unsporting behavior." I never even had my mic on. I spent hours talking back and forth with the Xbox Live reps and customer service to no avail. It got reversed after a week of me "fighting" with them.

Increasing your survivabilty in Halo 5 is one of the skills that takes the longest, especially with its focus on small 4v4 maps, it's originally difficult to know where to go. Once you have it down you can escape from just about any sitution, and anticipate what the enemy player is going to do. Decision making then feels really rewarding.

I mean, I can kind of get your complaint Fahz, but not really.

Previous Halos just had a different point at which you were "punished". Smart players in previous games would hang near cover so they could easily run away to survive. Halo 5 is similar, just with different mobility. You complain that people aren't punished for making bad plays, but you're presupposing that it was a bad play. Knowing the range you can push and safely get back to cover after engaging is just game knowledge. Knowing how long you can engage safely in a 1v1, knowing what angles you can get hit from, knowing your escape routes, etc - all of these are game knowledge. Predicting your enemy's movements and decisions is a core halo skill since the beginning.

I feel like you just need to have a different mindset in approaching engagements. Yes, this isn't the same as older halos, but neither was any halo sequel before it, and one has to adjust their playstyle accordingly.

giphy.gif

I appreciate your thoughts on this honestly. You are a good player, so I'm sure I can learn from you. I know that usually lesser skilled players whine about things that they don't usually understand, so I'm trying to be open minded.

I think your point actually brings up something that I guess I just subjectively prefer in other Halo titles. Maybe I'm wrong in my analysis of this, but it seems like in the first 3 Halo's (especially in competitive settings) it was harder to move across the map from point A to point B without getting taken out. Now, it's easier to span those distances by yourself. In previous Halo's, you had to rely on team coordination and timing to get someone to make a more drastic positional move. Now, Halo 5 allows more individual player agency over their positioning. I remember a lot of people hated how so many matches in previous Halo's resulted in "turtling" in and out of cover while largely staying in the same place. I never really had negative feelings about that while others did.

I think you are totally right with me needing to reassess my mindset/approach to certain engagements. With the frequent nature of snowballing matches, it's really really easy to lose emotional/rational control when someone "gets away." I'm definitely thinking they were making bad plays because of my previous Halo knowledge. It's incredibly difficult for me to separate that tension for me. Seeing someone run across top mid on Truth to only thrust backwards off the ledge and hide down in bottom mid or sprint under pink tower makes me frustrated when I put them one shot. I typically think, "Well in Halo 2/3 if I put someone to zero shields when they were top mid they were almost always punished." In higher level play in Halo 5 this issue is exacerbated. That's probably a silly example, but hopefully you get my point.

EDIT: Question to you: Doesn't this difference in playstyle and mechanics result in more plays where people rush into a room to get close to secure a kill? It kind of feels like the opposite "problem" from other Halo games. Instead of turtling, there are players rushing in waves to secure the kills. In Halo 1/2/3 MLG for example, sometimes it felt like you literally couldn't move due to enemies putting the map on lock down. Now it's harder for people to lock down a map in the same way, so it leads to far more aggressive plays on average (especially with spartan charge lol).

Fuchsdh

Halo 4 sometime. I can't even remember the order of MCC being a shitshow or HaloGAF being shut down, but the community was almost deaded for a while.

Didn't you organize some previously? I know Tashi did some before he was composed, or hired or whatever.

I'd be down to play, but if I planned them we would only play different color variations of MLG The Octagon.

I think I hosted one or two while Tashi was off getting interviewed or whatever he does. Dunno what days o the week are best for people.

Karl2177

Seriously, what the fuck happened to the game this past 2 weeks or so? Now I get a profile sync error when I login and it won't even search for a match. REQs are completely unavailable, which is a change from taking 5+ minutes to delete a single card. Not to mention almost every session I've gotten kicked at least once.

link1201

Seriously, what the fuck happened to the game this past 2 weeks or so? Now I get a profile sync error when I login and it won't even search for a match. REQs are completely unavailable, which is a change from taking 5+ minutes to delete a single card. Not to mention almost every session I've gotten kicked at least once.
Reqs messed up for me too ☹

We had parties drop and fireteams breaking tonight.

Yeah, it really seems like they add two bugs for everything they fix.

Madness

They've had server issues like crazy the past month plus. Has gotten worse since launch, but especially in the past 2 months in my opinion.

Top Bottom