• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Just booted up. Cant customize my spartan.

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

BizzyBum

The menus and sync issues are just embarrassing now. It has gotten worse with each update. At this point it's probably unfixable. At first it was just minor annoyances but now certain things prevent you from playing the fucking game.

NOKYARD

This fucking day
2016!!!
, banbed from live and now this hapoened mid match

Left trigger stuck

If you haven't got it unstuck you can run the corner of a credit card between the trigger and the cover to pop it out.

I have an antique Blockbuster Video card for the purpose, which i keep handy to jimmy open the disc tray on my 360.

Akai__

Hold out hope for 6.

We Halo fans are sure hoping a lot.

"Halo 4 will be the best game ever!" <- Terrible Campaign and even worse MP
"343i redeemed. MCC will be awesome." <- Game breaking glitches in Campaign and MP doesn't work for 6 months.
"They will nail it with Halo 5." <- Campaign is meh and game launches pretty barebones. CU kinda saved 343i, but it was basically content that was just missing at launch.

Now everybody is like:

"Halo 6 will be awesome if it launches with everything that Halo 5 has to offer + even more content. And if the MP basically stays the same."

Some people already stopped hoping. I'll probably always care for Halo, so I'm curious how this will play out.

Props to whoever made the Halo Wars 1 port btw. TThey have done a good job. Game plays very well on PC and Xbox One.

Woorloog

Banned
H4's campaign was pretty good.

Honestly prefer it to Halo 5's... Shame they wasted the Didact. Halo 5's plot would have worked better with him returning rather than Cortana, since he obviously fell to a slipspace portal; and let's not kid ourselves, a pulse grenade wouldn't kill him and he didn't disintegrate anyway.

(As it is, since the Didact apparently got composed in comics, i figure he'll return in Halo 6, taking over the Created as a super-AI.)

EBLspartan

Neo Member
Hold out hope for 6.

PC/Xbone "controller" crossplay (opt-in).
4K/60
Free maps/modes.

All the odd little design decisions will be resolved. Maybe.

I'm seriously concerned about the fact that datacenter selection wasn't implemented due to conflicts with search filters based on skill, and the fact that is plenty of people (on /r/halo especially) claiming that it's better not to play at all or playing with bad connection instead of be matched with people at different skill levels.

Hope (again this word, i hate it) 343 won't listen to those guys sincerely: fair connection in games must be the priority, after that comes everything else and all the compromises necessary to implement them, not the opposite.

jem0208

Honestly prefer it to Halo 5's... Shame they wasted the Didact. Halo 5's plot would have worked better with him returning rather than Cortana, since he obviously fell to a slipspace portal; and let's not kid ourselves, a pulse grenade wouldn't kill him and he didn't disintegrate anyway.

(As it is, since the Didact apparently got composed in comics, i figure he'll return in Halo 6, taking over the Created as a super-AI.)
I much preferred the story in H4 but H5's gameplay blows it out of the water.

EBLspartan

Neo Member
Hold out hope for 6.

PC/Xbone "controller" crossplay (opt-in).
4K/60
Free maps/modes.

All the odd little design decisions will be resolved. Maybe.

I'm hoping, but i really don't know what to expect from H6 on server / matchmaking side.
All i'm currently seeing is a system built sacrificing everything in the name of SKILL, even the connection quality.
But how can you compete and gain skill when the system is only focused to match you with same skill people, even if the ping is unbearable?

This is the worst choice 343 could make IMO: build a matchmaking system with the only purpose to match people on skill level, leaving out all the other important aspects like ping, solo VS full teams queues and so on is pure BS.

This is the real reason for the absence of datacenter selection in H5: Josh Holmes after the beta promised it, but he was forced to go back on his word because a system like that, together with the filter on skill parameter (built in this way), would bring long search times for players.
Exactly what is happening now if you try to search on focused or balanced in a playlist being an average to high rank.

Add to this the absence of a real social area (we all know that social modes have hidden ranks, so all i said applies even to them) and you have a game that will be impossible to play in a few months, when even more people will leave it for good.

Woorloog

Banned
I much preferred the story in H4 but H5's gameplay blows it out of the water.

Disagree on that one. It is not as much improved as it is changed... and they fucked over my Forerunner weapons. The Forerunner weapons lack their interesting quirks and awesome sounds are gone... (The Incinerator cannon is better now perhaps, as is the Forerunner sniper, though it is no Focus Rifle.) AI is still as stupid as ever, and Forerunner Knights lack the interesting variety they had in Halo 4 though i appreciate making them mini-bosses.
Spartan abilities, ADS aside, are an improvement over armor abilities but not particularly interesting or useful, i didn't really use them in the campaign (except when forced). And ADS is just... jusy why.

jem0208

Disagree on that one. It is not as much improved as it is changed... and they fucked over my Forerunner weapons. The Forerunner weapons lack their interesting quirks and awesome sounds are gone... (The Incinerator cannon is better now perhaps, as is the Forerunner sniper, though it is no Focus Rifle.) AI is still as stupid as ever, and Forerunner Knights lack the interesting variety they had in Halo 4 though i appreciate making them mini-bosses.
Spartan abilities, ADS aside, are an improvement over armor abilities but not particularly interesting or useful, i didn't really use them in the campaign (except when forced). And ADS is just... jusy why.
Fair enough. Besides the forerunner weapons I completely disagree.

Forerunners were massively improved, level design is superb and the Spartan abilities massively improved the combat.

Also ADS is pretty much entirely visual so IMO it makes no difference.

jem0208

Yeah it doesn't deserve a lot of the hate it gets, although some of the criticism it has received is very valid.
Absolutely, it's not perfect by any means.

The Prometheans were a bit shit and the levels were a bit too constrained.

That said I still thought it was a lot of fun, there was loads of variety, it looked gorgeous and the story was decent.

May I present some funny ass schadenfreude.

Wherein Prinz Eugn and I (a team of 2) match against a full 8 person team of Allegiance farmers. Enjoy as the dude streaming is driven to rage quitting for the night simply because the two of us went a combined -2, while the rest of our team of random dipshits went -47. Enjoy the sweet tears as excuses are made for his struggles and complaints range from "always getting shot in the back" to "I fuckin' hate the hydra" to "DUDE ITS SO LAGGY WTF!?" (when no lag is present and the game was fairly smooth).

https://www.twitch.tv/therealmtn/v/111079896?t=21m38s

I would rather never win a single game than ever have this annoying ass Canadian whiner in my earholes when I play. No doubt he frequents the Lion's Den :)

Woorloog

Banned
Also ADS is pretty much entirely visual so IMO it makes no difference.

The visual thing is what i most hate about ADS. Takes screen space, in the wrong way.
While it doesn't affect most weapons much, there are several that are heavily affected by it too. Don't like that.
And the thing lead to removal of binoculars for non-zoom weapons. I liked having those for studying distant things when i didn't have a sniper at hand.

BizzyBum

Wherein Prinz Eugn and I (a team of 2) match against a full 8 person team of Allegiance farmers. Enjoy as the dude streaming is driven to rage quitting for the night simply because the two of us went a combined -2, while the rest of our team of random dipshits went -47. Enjoy the sweet tears as excuses are made for his struggles and complaints range from "always getting shot in the back" to "I fuckin' hate the hydra" to "DUDE ITS SO LAGGY WTF!?" (when no lag is present and the game was fairly smooth).

I would rather never win a single game than ever have this annoying ass Canadian whiner in my earholes when I play. No doubt he frequents the Lion's Den :)

I don't get the point of them farming like that (their CTF Altar game was really brutal). They already have their Achilles set and XP is not greater in a meaningful way. They pad their stats but it's all from BTB so who cares. I understand winning is fun but that's so easy it would actually get boring.

I don't get the point of them farming like that (their CTF Altar game was really brutal). They already have their Achilles set and XP is not greater in a meaningful way. They pad their stats but it's all from BTB so who cares. I understand winning is fun but that's so easy it would actually get boring.

You should check some of the other streams of his where they literally complain about WZ being 6 person parties now and how that makes it harder to farm. It's quite fascinating as a sub-culture really.

BizzyBum

You should check some of the other streams of his where they literally complain about WZ being 6 person parties now and how that makes it harder to farm. It's quite fascinating as a sub-culture really.

What's hilarious was that other guy saying "Why are they trying so hard?" in your game. I mean, seriously?

BAHAhaahaa

Holy shit my nade killed him at 26:18 and he freaks and starts ranting, and it's amazing:

"I'm fuckin- I'm not playing BTB after this I'm done. F-I'm not gonna get mad- I'm just not gonna play it anymore. I'm just not gonna -I'm not gonna get mad, imma just not play it anymore."
*breaths*
"It's literally the most garbage fucking playlist I've ever played in my life on any video game."

Additionally, twitch is totally making everything on his screen go all slow and jumpy. Or something.

Haha, at the end he's scrolling through the carnage report, starts saying "I literally jus-," cuts himself off, sighs, then quits the fireteam.

Awesome. Two thumbs up++, would make quit again.

What's hilarious was that other guy saying "Why are they trying so hard?" in your game. I mean, seriously?

So, fun fact, I recognized the name when the game started and literally told Mark "Don't sweat too hard, dude can't aim for shit. We'll probably lose but it won't be our fault." And well, what do you know?

BAHAhaahaa

Holy shit my nade killed him at 26:18 and he freaks and starts ranting, and it's amazing:

"I'm fuckin- I'm not playing BTB after this I'm done. F-I'm not gonna get mad- I'm just not gonna play it anymore. I'm just not gonna -I'm not gonna get mad, imma just not play it anymore."
*breaths*
"It's literally the most garbage fucking playlist I've ever played in my life on any video game."

Additionally, twitch is totally making everything on his screen go all slow and jumpy. Or something.

Haha, at the end he's scrolling through the carnage report, starts saying "I literally jus-," cuts himself off, sighs, then quits the fireteam.

Awesome. Two thumbs up++, would make quit again.

lol - dude his XB1 twitch app is totally stealing processing power and rendering the game slower...somehow. Oh wait, now it's a different sentence and it's his internet that's doing it. Nevermind the fact that when things go smoothly, there's not a care in the world other than "get raped faggot" or "fucking randoms got a fucking wasp fuck someone call in a railgun and fucking kill the fucking wasp."

Madness

I honestly think I prefer the Halo Wars 2 story and Atriox over what they've gone with for Halo 4 and 5. Get ready for a Furhrer Cortana and Gears 4/ME3 styled robot Created to fight. I would rather have had a Halo 4 where a Jul Mdama and an Atriox are warring for the future of the Covenant/galaxy and we see Sangelios styled tech with the Covenant and a Brute/Brute scavenged and improved tech with the Brute side. Who knows. I am honestly over it. As the months and years go on, the less and less involved I am, in terms of lore, universe etc.

Ugh so annoying.

Trup1aya

I honestly think I prefer the Halo Wars 2 story and Atriox over what they've gone with for Halo 4 and 5. Get ready for a Furhrer Cortana and Gears 4/ME3 styled robot Created to fight. I would rather have had a Halo 4 where a Jul Mdama and an Atriox are warring for the future of the Covenant/galaxy and we see Sangelios styled tech with the Covenant and a Brute/Brute scavenged and improved tech with the Brute side. Who knows. I am honestly over it. As the months and years go on, the less and less involved I am, in terms of lore, universe etc.

They really should have gone with the post-war power struggle angle as detailed in Kiloh5 and Hunt the Truth.

There were so many intriguing plot lines with various parties trying to fill the Covenant sized void left after the events of Halo 3.

It would have been the perfect opportunity to bring the halo gamer up to speed on everything happening in the galaxy that chief missed...

They could have had the Cortana plotline brewing in the background (the source of the anomolies could have remained a mystery) , and pulled it out in a future sequel after EARNING her return.

BizzyBum

We could make a thread on /r HaloPlayers. It doesn't get a ton of traffic but if people see a company that is almost 90% towards the Achilles helmet you'll definitely see some responses to join.

You just need to emphasize they need to be active on a regular basis and we do activity checks daily (which is a lie but sounds good). No point if people join then play an hour a week.

Strider

when you think you queue skirmish but realize halfway through you have Contra on your team so you probably queued ranked lol

Getting carried Booooys. FeelsGoodMan
I'm really bad now tbh

BizzyBum

btw, this was done in the new ground pound arena in action sack:

So this is definitely the game to grind for charges. I got a triple kill with just charging. Only issue is getting the mode in the first place. It's too bad custom games through the browser don't count lol

I thought there was discussion of grabbing people from Reddit/waypoint?

We could make a thread on /r HaloPlayers. It doesn't get a ton of traffic but if people see a company that is almost 90% towards the Achilles helmet you'll definitely see some responses to join.

You just need to emphasize they need to be active on a regular basis and we do activity checks daily (which is a lie but sounds good). No point if people join then play an hour a week.

Oh yeah haha. We could do that.

btw, this was done in the new ground pound arena in action sack:

So this is definitely the game to grind for charges. I got a triple kill with just charging. Only issue is getting the mode in the first place. It's too bad custom games through the browser don't count lol

Now that they removed beam rifle that is the go to gametype for Spartan charges.

Trup1aya

Now that ive unlocked all reqs and am no longer selling everything, Warzone is damn fun.

Advanced sensors + tacticle magnum + camo = assassinations + spartan charge + marine kills

I had one match where 3 of my would-be assassinations only triggered regular melees. And one of my assassinations just quit mid animation,and the guy started shooting me. :(

I don't think I can understand whiney ragers like this guy

He's raging when his team is winning, and needs to constantly check the scoreboard to make sure he's positive in k/d, as if for validation or something. It's sorta sad

Can you imagine the NaCl if they lost the match? Now that would be some good comedy.

EYEL1NER

Damn, I was just in a BTB Slayer match on Scavenger facing some of the members of the Allegience companyand we got stomped, 100-15. I think that they had hit 80 kills before we even hit 10. I made it to 1 kill and 10 deaths before I decided to just find an out-of-way spot and wait the match out. Two people did quit right of bat and then two others eventually quit, possibly the people who got JIP'd into the match (even though I don't ever quit out of a match, I would have been mighty tempted to quit if I had joined into it and saw the score, I know that), but the BRing from across the map upon spawning was too much to go against (pistol starts plz?). Right now I'm waiting a few moments for them to get into another match, lest I just happen to get matched against them again.

EDIT: Servers seem kind of fucked right now though. When I first booted the game, it took a minute or maybe more for it to connect to the servers and load the message of the day and main menu. Just now it sat there and searched for a while before throwing an error saying there was an issue with the dedicated server. Oh well, I'll hop on again tomorrow.

I don't think I can understand whiney ragers like this guy

He's raging when his team is winning, and needs to constantly check the scoreboard to make sure he's positive in k/d, as if for validation or something. It's sorta sad

Can you imagine the NaCl if they lost the match? Now that would be some good comedy.

Even when they're playing another competent team, it's bad. Even when they're beating another team, every death is some great travesty.

Go to like 2h50m on this video. Minimal complaints even while they're losing at first, but quickly any death or damage is complaint-worthy, often due to his poor situational awareness. He even blames his team for getting him killed while camo'd (even though he's literally sitting in a stronghold - which often get naded - and on top of that shot and gave away his own position). He's completely confused how they cap a stronghold while he's "in there, bro!" but somehow forgets that he's streaming and we know he's lying to his team. His mental game is atrocious and missing 1 snipe makes him flip his shit and spiral into a mental block.

Like I said, I'm fascinated by this subculture and attitude. Like, I've played with some complainer types before (even I do it some), but this is literally every game of this dude's existence. It's like some sort of reality TV trainwreck. I can't stand it but I can't look away.

Damn, I was just in a BTB Slayer match on Scavenger facing some of the members of the Allegience companyand we got stomped, 100-15. I think that they had hit 80 kills before we even hit 10. I made it to 1 kill and 10 deaths before I decided to just find an out-of-way spot and wait the match out. Two people did quit right of bat and then two others eventually quit, possibly the people who got JIP'd into the match (even though I don't ever quit out of a match, I would have been mighty tempted to quit if I had joined into it and saw the score, I know that), but the BRing from across the map upon spawning was too much to go against (pistol starts plz?). Right now I'm waiting a few moments for them to get into another match, lest I just happen to get matched against them again.

I mean, I doubt that's really the case on Scavenger. It's a fairly segmented map in terms of sightlines. More likely you guys were outmatched (solo folks versus organized full team) and you had quitters. Add in vehicle control and getting around that map isn't too hard to dominate.

Not saying I'm against BTB pistol starts (quite the opposite), just my thoughts.

EDIT: Watched the film. Some of them got on top of the map, so I'll amend my assessment, but I didn't really see any deaths of your that were cross-mapping.

Top Bottom