• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

I feel like i sometimes capture my alright clips when i use the double xbox button + x. But then i remove myself from the game for like 3 seconds as the apps process and move me around. i remove myself from the flow of the game. :(

IIRC the Xbox app on iOS and Android has a button you can tap to record. Similarly, the chatpad has dedicated screenshot and record buttons.

Another reason for a new HaloGAF montage: everything is at least 100% more entertaining with Exuberant cheering on your multi kills.

"Obvious proficiency!"

"Undisputable potential!"

"Phenomenal skill!"

Also shoutout to whoever decided the Zombicide medal would be announced as "Offensive Bias" by EW. That's some deep Halo lore right there.

IIRC the Xbox app on iOS and Android has a button you can tap to record. Similarly, the chatpad has dedicated screenshot and record buttons.

I wish i had a chatpad, that would make recording a lot easier! :)

The app has a button? :O Would it be available when i'm in the Connection side menu?

Fuchsdh

I'm curious about blitz, but really it seems like it's aimed as a trojan for people who don't like RTS to try and get their foot in the door more than at someone like me for whom base and resource management is probably my favorite part.

Wc3 is the most fun i had with an rts.
Hero and small micromanagement of your groups.
Base set up being cruicial to the map you played on. Learning tricks on how to have the most effective resource gathering placement.

When i played halo wars 2 beta, i didnt get excited to just build in one area and had addons. Could literally be 1 box colored red that spat out all attacking units.

Plus i dont feel there is much if micro managing in hw2. More of all units attack now and over power their mix of units vs ours.

Maybe im still nub tho.

I'm curious about blitz, but really it seems like it's aimed as a trojan for people who don't like RTS to try and get their foot in the door more than at someone like me for whom base and resource management is probably my favorite part.

Seems more likely they wanted to translate the success of REQs into Halo Wars, though I think that largely rides on cosmetics.

Fuchsdh

Seems more likely they wanted to translate the success of REQs into Halo Wars, though I think that largely rides on cosmetics.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong money via microtransactions is part of it, but RTS is a shrinking market, console RTS is still pretty low-key, and Halo Wars, as successful as it was during probably the end tail of Halo's biggest market relevance... sold 1 million units. I feel like something like Blitz that has more of the action elements that have been bleeding into and dominating strategy is pretty much essential if they want to broaden the game's appeal.

I spent way too long sorting through old clips today, and found some neat ones:

Pretty much as close a match as you can get in this game. Screenshot:
Screenshot-Original.png

Get off my map!

Totally normal Wasp, nothing to see here

Anyone know if you can map those to the paddles on an elite controller?

I'd dedicate a paddle to recording a clip.

Pretty sure you can't, since you can only map buttons that are default on the controller, and no macros.

mo60

Wow.. tried war zone aftet a long hiatus...

Fuck that mode. Quit game as others did on my team.

Never touching that again

I am happy that I do not get warzone matches anymore were the enemy team farms my team,but warzone still has a lot of issues with it

The god weapons aren't the problem. It's the lack of party matching. It's the same reason why every other playlist often makes for a horrible experience.

Yeah that's true, but I still think the god weapons and unlocks exacerbated the party problem considerably.

Trup1aya

Yeah that's true, but I still think the god weapons and unlocks exacerbated the party problem considerably.

They certainly do exacerbate the party problem because they allow a team that's already stream rolling to roll harder.

But if we were matched properly i doubt the weapons would be a problem at all. That's because an individual with a powerful weapon is insignificant in the grand scheme of things: there just are so many other players and objectives to worry about. But when those individuals are coordinated and efficiently controlling the map with power weapons and vehicles it becomes a landslide.

12v12 warzone is fun. Randos v Randos is fun. But 12 v Randos should never happen.

Fuchsdh

Okay, I have more time to do this now, so it's on. Still down for assisting with the video animations etc? :)

STARTING TODAY:

Send all clips to halogafmontage@gmail.com

Please include your gamertag.

When should we make the cut off occur?

I'm open to suggestions.

Yeah yeah. Let me know what you need and I'll be happy to stick something out.

I'll just resend whatever I had before, because there's no way I'm likely to get really good clips new :p

Wc3 is the most fun i had with an rts.
Hero and small micromanagement of your groups.
Base set up being cruicial to the map you played on. Learning tricks on how to have the most effective resource gathering placement.

When i played halo wars 2 beta, i didnt get excited to just build in one area and had addons. Could literally be 1 box colored red that spat out all attacking units.

Plus i dont feel there is much if micro managing in hw2. More of all units attack now and over power their mix of units vs ours.

Maybe im still nub tho.

You ever play Dawn of War? It was my favorite RTS for similar reasons. Plus amazing combat animations and gory unit deaths, lol

Warzone needs to change cause every time I play it even with you guys i feel dead inside because how non-engaging it feels.

I like assualt more (even with its problems) because it's simple tells people where the fuck they should go and gets rids of the AI. Would prefer warzone to have roaming AI that did not give you point to win but buffs/vehicles to try to capture the 3 bases.

Only thing that ruins warzone really is the farming and most of the time boils down to stay on base and get bent over.

You ever play Dawn of War? It was my favorite RTS for similar reasons. Plus amazing combat animations and gory unit deaths, lol

I haven't. I became so involved with the art, humor, cinematics and characters of wc3 i went into tunnel blizzard vision. (Plus dota was fun and tower d!!!)

I did try c&c but i didnt like the animations as much. >_<

But just know everyone - i bring the g0su to every game i play!!!

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/SaMuRaI G0SU/video/25294871

So it looks like 343i are still having talks about the future of the MCC. Glad it's not been forgotten but were still short on a any actual commitment to fix the game. Hopefully 343i do commit fully to fixing it.

Ske7ch is a really great guy. I love having him back in the Halo community! He has been so open and cool with us that I almost feel bad for killing and T-bagging him several times in the early Halo Reach beta the weekend before it became an open beta.

BizzyBum

Team Skirmish is harder than Ranked Team Arena, I swear. I need a solo queue playlist because these games slowly suck out my soul (one dude was arguing with his girlfriend the entire fucking game).

Snakebite and Mikwen were on a webcast called The Pit and they do not paint a pretty picture when it comes to 343 and how they operate pro league settings. Starts at about 17:30.

https://youtu.be/CRaRhwnCkXQ

Yeah I was watching this live. Shit like this is why I don't buy the argument that you shouldn't design your core gameplay around the best players and how they use the map/weapons/etc. As we learn more and more about the HCS settings debacle(s), it's more and more obvious that this design philosophy *still* hasn't been tried, even when designing settings *for* the pro scene.

Like, I find it bizarre that 343/HCS will announce a setting change or rule change or whatever, and almost everyone who has played Arena (not to mention the pros) call it out as bad/stupid without even having to play it because many of the decisions are bad, even just in theory. The absolute disconnect and lack of communication in this area continues to baffle me.

EDIT: Not to mention 343 considers giving 3 shitty options and asking pros to pick the least bad one "getting pros input"

Akai__

Snakebite and Mikwen were on a webcast called The Pit and they do not paint a pretty picture when it comes to 343 and how they operate pro league settings. Starts at about 17:30.

https://youtu.be/CRaRhwnCkXQ

Honestly, it sounds pretty bad and it's further proof of the whole terrible communication thing. A couple things:

• Just ridiculous that ESL/343i are changing map veto systems 2 days prior to a major tournament without informing anyone.
  • Very shitty of 343i to force Pros to pick 1 out of 20 bad map changes and then say "Pros wanted this" afterwards, while in reality they didn't want any of the changes.
  • Agree with the Power Weapons being too easy and there being too many of them. Like they said, Halo shouldn't be about people crouching and spamming with a Fuel Rod/Plasma Caster for example.
  • Funny how Mikwen is saying the same as I did a long time ago, about Halo 5 lacking pure skill maps like Onslaught and Amplified, where it only comes down to Pistols and Skill.

Good insight on this overall. I'm surprised that Snakebite and Mikwen talked so openly about it.

They should have a rotation of in house PROS. making them full time 'playtesters' isn't cutting it anymore. OR they should advise they need new blood in there so more options and points of views can be expressed.

arent all the pro players in 343 old?

They should have a rotation of in house PROS. making them full time 'playtesters' isn't cutting it anymore. OR they should advise they need new blood in there so more options and points of views can be expressed.

arent all the pro players in 343 old?

You're making the assumption that the pros/proteam come up with settings.

Top Bottom