• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Trup1aya

With its current rate of fire I think it could be alright.

Isn't that the point of a pickup though? Plus, the BR does provide some trade-off with the 2x zoom + burst limiting its range.

4sk with less aim assist could be nice, but it's already not so easy to use against competent players thrusting/sprinting.

It'd be a good thing to test with that Mystical Beta Playlist™ we've heard about.

I dont think the point of a pick up is to be an upgrade. I think there should always be a trade off.

If rifles are just straight up better than the pistol then the pistol isn't really a good utility weapon. At high level play,it won't matter if the pistol becomes a 4 shot if BR users have a gun that is easier AND just as strong. You'll still have the snow balling.

With the 2x zoom on these 4x4 maps, hit-scan and heavy aim assist, the spread on the BR is negligible. It will still be better than a 4sk pistol in most scenarios.

I haven't heard about this mystical beta, but speaking of betas, the magnum was a decent utility weapon in the h5 beta thanks to the ROF

I dont think the point of a pick up is to be an upgrade. I think there should always be a trade off.
Some people prefer single shot weapons because they're more consistent and predictable than burst fire weapons, whereas you can miss shots in a burst while strafing with a BR, especially at range. Also the Pistol equips much faster. So against your point, with the BR there's some consideration I'm making whether to use that or the Pistol; it's not so clear cut imo. And the same can be said for most, if not all weapon pickups depending on the situation.

EDIT: To further clarify, I'm just arguing against your point that there's no trade-off to picking up a BR, but I still think the Pistol needs to be buffed because currently in most engagements, there's little reason not to pick up a BR due to the inadequacy of the Pistol at the moment. I hope I didn't muddy my message too much lol, my bad if so.
If rifles are just straight up better than the pistol then the pistol isn't really a good utility weapon. At high level play,it won't matter if the pistol becomes a 4 shot if BR users have a gun that is easier AND just as strong. You'll still have the snow balling.
Therein lies the issue; the Pistol isn't as good of a utility weapon as it could be. It's less about the BR and more about the Pistol, so if the Pistol can more effectively kill in 4 shots at comparable ranges to the BR, then that helps with the issue you're having.
I haven't heard about this mystical beta, but speaking of betas, the magnum was a decent utility weapon in the h5 beta thanks to the ROF
343 made note several times how they have a playlist in mind to test out things, but have yet to implement it.

EYEL1NER

Good games tonight guys. I actually wasn't completely worthless for once! That first match I joined in on, Big Team Slayer on Deadlock, actually saw me go positive with 10 kills and only 6 deaths. I was playing slightly better than usual; not sure why, but I won't complain. Got a handful of splatters (5 at least in that Deadlock match) and some first strikes for the Company too.

Trup1aya

Some people prefer single shot weapons because they're more consistent and predictable than burst fire weapons, whereas you can miss shots in a burst while strafing with a BR, especially at range. Also the Pistol equips much faster. So against your point, with the BR there's some consideration I'm making whether to use that or the Pistol; it's not so clear cut imo. And the same can be said for most, if not all weapon pickups depending on the situation.

EDIT: To further clarify, I'm just arguing against your point that there's no trade-off to picking up a BR, but I still think the Pistol needs to be buffed because currently in most engagements, there's little reason not to pick up a BR due to the inadequacy of the Pistol at the moment. I hope I didn't muddy my message too much lol, my bad if so.

Therein lies the issue; the Pistol isn't as good of a utility weapon as it could be. It's less about the BR and more about the Pistol, so if the Pistol can more effectively kill in 4 shots at comparable ranges to the BR, then that helps with the issue you're having.

343 made note several times how they have a playlist in mind to test out things, but have yet to implement it.

Ok we agree on the theory part we just disagree with the solution. If the BR was projectile, I'd agree, but i still think it'll be easier to 4 shot with the BR than the magnum on any of these 4v4 maps. You figure in a 1v1 at range, both players will get descoped, which will give the edge to the BR player thanks to magnetism and RRR. At close-mid the BR still wins because of the aim assist.

The pistol just needs to have a lower ttk. Making it 3sk obviously doesnt work because it isnt projectile. But we can still make it challenging by requiring 5 shots, but allowing those shots to be delivered more quickly.

I think It would also put the pistols 8sk at 1.4 seconds, which still allows them to punish rifle users who cant keep up with their strafe. And allow them to get enough damage on an AR user to at least trade at close range.

Nowise10

So should we expect Halo 6 to be announced/news to start happening in the next 2-3 months? About the same time after Halo 4 that we got Halo 5 first announced.

edit: Although I just looked to be sure and I guess H5 wasn't announced until May 2014, so I guess it could still be a little while.

Jaraghan

Does anyone know when the Winter 2016 season ends? Want to know if I have time to bang out a placement rank in all the playlists.

Edit: oh yay I have an account here :D first post! :)

Does anyone know when the Winter 2016 season ends? Want to know if I have time to bang out a placement rank in all the playlists.

fb0.jpg

I honestly don't know if I can ever take Halo's marketing/trailers/announcements seriously ever again.

Hunt the Truth

343 = ONI

Yeah I won't get fooled again. I got myself so hyped for something that was so so, when it should have been amazing.

On that note though, I could go for a new Hunt The Truth season.

Trup1aya

Just got done with silver REQs

holy shit that a long time to be in there

now comes gold packs........

Long time? You're just getting started!

HCS update from Tashi:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/hwc-format-settings-update

Age limit update (13 to compete in NA), qualifying adjustments, and some map changes for tournaments and Team Arena which will transition to the Jan-Feb rankings this Tuesday.

Qualification changes are much better. Now teams will have to perform at both Events inorder to guaruntee a spot at worlds.

m23

What ever happened to that survey for new Halogaf members?

Yeah I won't get fooled again. I got myself so hyped for something that was so so, when it should have been amazing.

On that note though, I could go for a new Hunt The Truth season.

I have confidence the game will at least be fun. If I remove my normal expectations from a Halo story, I know 343 can at least deliver nice art, music, and level design. I just absolutely love the level design of a lot of the levels. I miss Marty music, but it was still above average alien slaying music lol

I don't want another HTT cuz it might just make me disappointed again.

I have confidence the game will at least be fun. If I remove my normal expectations from a Halo story, I know 343 can at least deliver nice art, music, and level design. I just absolutely love the level design of a lot of the levels. I miss Marty music, but it was still above average alien slaying music lol

I don't want another HTT cuz it might just make me disappointed again.

I feel like they'll revise again. The leap in quality from 4 to 5 was fantastic, so I have high hopes the same will happen again.

And I'm now to the point where if HTT is just going to be a side Story, it's the best side story we've got since the original novels.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Did he fall from the sneaky windows?
Check theatre... Nice plays though

I havent checked replay, but after grabbing rail there is a player that briefly catches my eye to the right but after the camo guy starts shooting i focus on him entirely and lose track of that player. In my minds eye of the match that other player was further up, potentially went treehouse, but it could have been him.

Seeing tons of "Halo 5 gameplay is perfect! Best MP ever" on the gaming side thread. Yet the population of this game is Halo 4 levels, or worse.

Trup1aya

Seeing tons of "Halo 5 gameplay is perfect! Best MP ever" on the gaming side thread. Yet the population of this game is Halo 4 levels, or worse.

Looking at all factors, having an H4 population without doing Halo4 sales, speaks well for the gameplay loop.

Something is allowing engagement to hold steady despite the terrible campaign, missing features and overall declining Halo brand.

On another note, why won't this game call assassination animations for me anymore? No matter how long I hold the melee button, I get a backsmack EVERY TIME.

I know it's not my controller because it registers ground pounds just fine.

I'm trying to put in work for the company!

Too complex of situations and time frames for gaming culture to compare population in each title imo.

I mean even cod is in decline with population, so is gears, rainbow six and etc. Other games have non existant populations today that had a lot in its previous releases.

Gwyn

About H5 population...
I am not sure since i haven't played all of the mp games so far only BF and TF2 but i noticed that mp games that do have a "huge?" population (OW, CoD, Destiny, BF, CSGO) compared to h5 seems like these games have more "instant" rewards than halo 5 or am i wrong?

In halo 5 there 495895 minor things that you have to unlock first in order to get something "good" which turns out to be meh at the end when you finally get that armor.

It gets boring really fast and theres nothing else to get/aim for.

I hope in h6 they have far less shit to unlock and more "premium / detailed" things to unlock and not just through random req cards...maybe have some cool skin unlocked when you get 1000 airborn snapshots or 5k perfect kills...

People like to get cool new shit but when you have to unlock 460 different skinned mongoose/warthogs yea that shit is annoying.

Having a full featured game (dev btb maps, forge, at least 10 GOOD arena maps and split screen) at release is more important but you need something else to keep people playing these days instead of relying only on gameplay

mo60

Isn't halo 5's population still above 4's? I remember 4's population was under 10k concurrent in early 2014. It must be high enough on the xbox live most played list to at least have a population bigger then halo 4 had in the same time period a bit over a year after it launched.

daedalius

About H5 population...
I am not sure since i haven't played all of the mp games so far only BF and TF2 but i noticed that mp games that do have a "huge?" population (OW, CoD, Destiny, BF, CSGO) compared to h5 seems like these games have more "instant" rewards than halo 5 or am i wrong?

In halo 5 there 495895 minor things that you have to unlock first in order to get something "good" which turns out to be meh at the end when you finally get that armor.

It gets boring really fast and theres nothing else to get/aim for.

I hope in h6 they have far less shit to unlock and more "premium / detailed" things to unlock and not just through random req cards...maybe have some cool skin unlocked when you get 1000 airborn snapshots or 5k perfect kills...

People like to get cool new shit but when you have to unlock 460 different skinned mongoose/warthogs yea that shit is annoying.

Having a full featured game (dev btb maps, forge, at least 10 GOOD arena maps and split screen) at release is more important but you need something else to keep people playing these days instead of relying only on gameplay

If you don't really play Warzone you don't have to unlock anything. All you are getting then are cosmetics.

Gwyn

If you don't really play Warzone you don't have to unlock anything. All you are getting then are cosmetics.

Dunno what you mean but let's say i play only arena and i want a skin then i have to open rng packs which means i can get it with the first pack(yea right) or rnjesus will give the skin once i go through 664 warthogs variants

or did i forgot how req packs work? I've unlocked everything few months back

Laws00

So im thinking of going through the looooong process of selling all but one of each of my REQS to make this GOLD process speed up

How long did it take you guys to sell all your REQs if you did it in one sitting?

i think I may regret this

So im thinking of going through the looooong process of selling all but one of each of my REQS to make this GOLD process speed up

How long did it take you guys to sell all your REQs if you did it in one sitting?

i think I may regret this

Get the Chrome extention and do it online. Far easier.

BizzyBum

About H5 population...

You say instant things but then want to unlock a piece of armor behind 1,000 airborne snapshots which would take forever. ;)

I see what you're saying though. I think they hinted that those legacy helmets releasing this year will be acquired by some sort of unlocking besides req packs.

Gwyn

You say instant things but then want to unlock a piece of armor behind 1,000 airborne snapshots which would take forever. ;)

I see what you're saying though. I think they hinted that those legacy helmets releasing this year will be acquired by some sort of unlocking besides req packs.

well that was just an example not everything needs to be unlocked this way :p but it would be nice to get a good looking skin/armor piece once you complete a "challenge".

500 airborn snapshots + 500 snapshots = legendary linda sniper rifle skin would be cool!

and figure out a way to change weapon skin color when you pick up weapons on the map to your selected skin (include setting to turn off that feature ofc)

maybe i like weapon skins too much :| or the sniper playlist dunno!

Top Bottom