• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

jadjei

Idk where to go but I have a question related to the xbone controller. I connected it to my laptop through bluetooth. But after that my steam games couldn't detect it. Do I need the wireless adapter for windows? Or can I do the connection without it?

Idk where to go but I have a question related to the xbone controller. I connected it to my laptop through bluetooth. But after that my steam games couldn't detect it. Do I need the wireless adapter for windows? Or can I do the connection without it?

Xbone controller should be supported with just plugging it in if that's not too much cable for you.

mo60

Just connect your xbox one controller to your laptop with a usb cable.

heytred

Neo Member
They should have a rotation of in house PROS. making them full time 'playtesters' isn't cutting it anymore. OR they should advise they need new blood in there so more options and points of views can be expressed.

arent all the pro players in 343 old?

Old as in like... age? They are all in their 20's, but Dersky is a baby. He's like, 22?

Also, it's not *just* the pro team coming up with settings - it's a studio effort.

Old as in like... age? They are all in their 20's, but Dersky is a baby. He's like, 22?

Also, it's not *just* the pro team coming up with settings - it's a studio effort.

You're making the assumption that the pros/proteam come up with settings.

Well its me going off of what they have said with all of their 'updates'. They always, or almost always, relate 'pro team' feedback on settings, changes and etc.

Old as in they are legacy halo players and some might not give a shit anymore about the future of halo but are there for a paycheck.
So i say they are old in idea and mindset maybe.

Now we have new pro players give their opinion and most of it resonates with the overall player base. Like we agree here with most of the new pro player wishes; no radar, balancing some eapons and etc.

heytred

Neo Member
Well its me going off of what they have said with all of their 'updates'. They always, or almost always, relate 'pro team' feedback on settings, changes and etc.

Old as in they are legacy halo players and some might not give a shit anymore about the future of halo but are there for a paycheck.
So i say they are old in idea and mindset maybe.

Now we have new pro players give their opinion and most of it resonates with the overall player base. Like we agree here with most of the new pro player wishes; no radar, balancing some eapons and etc.

Well, I can't really give you anything concrete to back it up, but I know all of the pro team personally and they definitely aren't there for a 'paycheck'. They legitimately love Halo, but their perspective of the game might differ from current pros in that the 343 guys have both pro experience and the developer perspective. They'll never 100% see eye to eye, but I think they have similar goals.

Well, I can't really give you anything concrete to back it up, but I know all of the pro team personally and they definitely aren't there for a 'paycheck'. They legitimately love Halo, but their perspective of the game might differ from current pros in that the 343 guys no have both pro experience and the developer perspective. They'll never 100% see eye to eye, but I think they have similar goals.

Well thats good to hear. Im just venting my frustration when i hear something but see a different result.

BizzyBum

Y'all think I'm joking when I say Team Arena is easier than Skirmish, but it's official fam.

I think the main reason is in Arena you are much more likely to get competent teammates than in Skirmish if you solo q. I just played back to back Coli CTF. My Skirmish team literally stayed back at flag 90% of the game and made no pushes. My Arena team even though there was no communication made actual plays and pushes using their brain and we won 3-1. I swear, 9 times out of 10 my Skirmish teammates are as skilled as a bag of rocks. It also doesn't have Orion or Pegasus, so that's a bonus.

Then again, I'm only ranked Diamond 1 in Arena since I rarely play it so the competition is a little less fierce, perhaps.

Snakebite and Mikwen were on a webcast called The Pit and they do not paint a pretty picture when it comes to 343 and how they operate pro league settings. Starts at about 17:30.

https://youtu.be/CRaRhwnCkXQ

Thank you so much for posting this. I think the pros articulation is exactly what I was trying to get across in earlier posts (specifically @Matt ExWife, but he pointed out some of my unfair biased venting). They mention how so many people can get away with being so damn aggressive because of how higher level play or skilled players can roll you over silly when they have a BR/Carbine or a power weapon. You simply can't defend yourself properly and you end up just putting in shots with a pistol, which is supposed to be the utility weapon, but you end up doing fuck all.

Mikwen: "Positioning obviously matters in H5, but not nearly as much as traditional Halo because you can get around the map so fast." That's exactly what I said in previous posts... Almost verbatim.

The tone of the pros here says it all. They are right, the game has so much potential, but 343 running the show when it comes to settings is a huge detriment to competitive play. I vastly preferred the Halo trilogy MLG settings. They were for the most part very well tuned and 1v1 battles were incredibly satisfying and balanced. People complained about a lack of variety with Halo 1 being primarily M6D's and Halo 2 and 3 being primarily BR's, but that is what made it competitive.... Mikwen's suggestion about pistol/AR variants only on some maps confirms this. Some of us were requesting this since the closed beta...

Spartan abilities, while fun and enjoyable, escalate the issues mentioned here in the video due to mobility being enhanced with power weapons and the fact that all weapons are becoming power weapons.

Great video. Really put things in perspective.

Edit: I think it's hilarious that we have now a similar issue to the Halo 4/COD loadout issue. Instead of weapon variety for casuals at spawn via loadouts, we have easy to use weapon variety scattered throughout the map. It's the same design philosophy fucking over competitive play...

Thank you so much for posting this. I think the pros articulation is exactly what I was trying to get across in earlier posts (specifically @Matt ExWife).

I was just specifically referring to your concern with people getting away with risky plays, when they're not necessarily risky with h5's movement and how that relates to game knowledge. Power weapons on map is a concern I agree with the pros about. Positioning may not be as dominant of a factor as before, but only because skilled control of your Spartan is a bigger deal.

I'd say my point still stands.

I was just specifically referring to your concern with people getting away with risky plays, when they're not necessarily risky with h5's movement and how that relates to game knowledge. Power weapons on map is a concern I agree with the pros about. Positioning may not be as dominant of a factor as before, but only because skilled control of your Spartan is a bigger deal.

I'd say my point still stands.

I made a recent edit that affirms your point. I think you are largely correct in correcting me there, sorry if it came across otherwise.

The issues the pros point out is a big reason why I start to complain about the chasing/running away. As they pointed out, the pistol simply can't hang with a skilled player using a rifle. It transforms my engagements with the pistol to a gimped version of a traditional BR fight in previous Halo's. So it creates this weird tension where I feel like I have a capable weapon for the job, but in reality I shouldn't even bother with those engagements in the first place as you point out. So then the pros mention here you become helpless and get steamrolled lol

This is why I prefer the traditional Halo settings with one utility being 90% of the engagements. Pure pistol vs pistol engagements are great in Halo 5 (perhaps better than previous games), but the game rarely allows for that.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Y'all think I'm joking when I say Team Arena is easier than Skirmish, but it's official fam.

I think the main reason is in Arena you are much more likely to get competent teammates than in Skirmish if you solo q. I just played back to back Coli CTF. My Skirmish team literally stayed back at flag 90% of the game and made no pushes. My Arena team even though there was no communication made actual plays and pushes using their brain and we won 3-1. I swear, 9 times out of 10 my Skirmish teammates are as skilled as a bag of rocks. It also doesn't have Orion or Pegasus, so that's a bonus.

Then again, I'm only ranked Diamond 1 in Arena since I rarely play it so the competition is a little less fierce, perhaps.

How many times in assualt skirmish do you have a rando pick up the bomb and carry it back to your base? Facepalm.

jem0208

This is why I prefer the traditional Halo settings with one utility being 90% of the engagements. Pure pistol vs pistol engagements are great in Halo 5 (perhaps better than previous games), but the game rarely allows for that.

That's not true though. I understand the sentiment about the other rifles being too powerful and agree with it for the most part, at least in competitive. However, a large portion of fights are still pistol vs pistol, it's hardly rare.

That's not true though. I understand the sentiment about the other rifles being too powerful and agree with it for the most part, at least in competitive. However, a large portion of fights are still pistol vs pistol, it's hardly rare.

I frankly disagree. Experience is obviously subjective due to the inconsistency of human players and interaction online, but most engagements aren't pistol on pistol. It's not that it doesn't happen at all, but it's too infrequent.

*Shrug*

I frankly disagree. Experience is obviously subjective due to the inconsistency of human players and interaction online, but most engagements aren't pistol on pistol. It's not that it doesn't happen at all, but it's too infrequent.

*Shrug*

Couldn't someone with the API pull out numbers to show which weapon is the most used? (kills and get killed with)

Trup1aya

Couldn't someone with the API pull out numbers to show which weapon is the most used? (kills and get killed with)

Someone did have that going during the first couple of months.

Weapon usages directly correlated with skill level.

The highest skilled players used pistols for over 50% of their kills, and AR was about 10%. And for the low end it was essentially the inverse of that.

Edit: here's a updated look at how top players
https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comme...r_the_top_50_players/?st=IXKNE79Y&sh=bfbd9a2b

So pistol kills have gone down a bit, but they are still held much more than any other weapon. It looks like the pistol kills might have been replaced with increased rifle kills.

Still the numbers would suggest that pistol on pistol fights aren't rare. At least play w/ against decent players.

Pistols do need to be tweaked to be better against rifles though. It's just dumb that rifles are pure upgrades. There is no trade off.

Pretty sure you could, but in this case it would be fairly meaningless (like most uses of stats). It depends on maps, gametypes, ranks/skill, which weapons were used to damage a player in a given engagement, etc. Would take a lot of effort to get meaningful data I would assume.

In my case I get plenty of pistol kills (probably the most), but that's because I prefer the pistol and use it to finish kills off often. However, the thing we did want to know is how often does pistol vs pistol actually occur in a competitive arena game? The problem is that even if it occurs, the likelihood of a rifle weilder putting in some sort of assisted damage would throw the metric off due to the nature of their damage output, ease of use, and effective range.

Someone did have that going during the first couple of months.

Weapon usages directly correlated with skill level.

The highest skilled players used pistols for over 50% of their kills, and AR was about 10%. And for the low end it was essentially the inverse of that.

Edit: here's a updated look at how top players
https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comme...r_the_top_50_players/?st=IXKNE79Y&sh=bfbd9a2b

So pistol kills have gone down a bit, but they are still held much more than any other weapon. It looks like the pistol kills might have been replaced with increased rifle kills.

Still the numbers would suggest that pistol on pistol fights aren't rare.

Thanks for that! i knew i thought there was something like that out there from before.

Pretty sure you could, but in this case it would be fairly meaningless (like most uses of stats). It depends on maps, gametypes, ranks/skill, which weapons were used to damage a player in a given engagement, etc. Would take a lot of effort to get meaningful data I would assume.

In my case I get plenty of pistol kills (probably the most), but that's because I prefer the pistol and use it to finish kills off often. However, the thing we did want to know is how often does pistol vs pistol actual ly occur in a competitive arena game? The problem is that even if it occurs, the likelihood of a rifle weilder putting in some sort of assisted damage would throw the metric off due to the nature of their damage output, ease of use, and effective range.

Good point. So in all, we would really not know unless someone had some ability to look in to the very essense of game capture and have some type of reporting logic tied to pistol v pistol engagement without other weapon dmg. it would be tricky because of nades, melees and etc. it would even come down to . What exactly is a pistol vs pistol fight?

Full health on each player only using a pistol? No interfearance of any other damage? i believe the nade is used a lot with engagements - well for me anyway :p

EDIT:

On Matchmaking -

I've run across Smurf accounts more than usual now. Onyx players paired up with Silvers and a low level of 15-33. Golds and some platinums in the mix too.
I use Focused and some games just are outright outweighed. But, when that starts to happen i take a break and move to another game or WZFF

Also.. does anyone else experience this? I go to WZFF plasylist, hit A and its about to load, then Halo 5 crashes to dashboard. i have to re-open the game to play....

Last night was the worst experience playing Halo I think I've ever had.

And it was all due to the matchmaking.

Playing ranked slayer with a friend. We are the same skill level (Silver 6/Gold 1) and we were CONSTANTLY put against teams of higher ranked players and the two players on our team were CONSTANTLY much lower level.

In our 5 games last night:

1st game - our two teammates went 8-25
2nd game - our two teammates went 8-32
3rd game - our two teammates went 25-26 (only semi-competitive one)
4th game - our two teammates went 11-28
5th game - our two teammates left after 5 mins but still managed to go 11-20

No fault to those players, they were a much lower level than the competition (except for the dickholes that left in the last game, yay, so much fun playing a match 2-on-4)...

But is matchmaking TRUE matchmaking? Because last night, it sure as hell didn't feel like it....

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Last night was the worst experience playing Halo I think I've ever had.

And it was all due to the matchmaking.

Playing ranked slayer with a friend. We are the same skill level (Silver 6/Gold 1) and we were CONSTANTLY put against teams of higher ranked players and the two players on our team were CONSTANTLY much lower level.

In our 5 games last night:

1st game - our two teammates went 8-25
2nd game - our two teammates went 8-32
3rd game - our two teammates went 25-26 (only semi-competitive one)
4th game - our two teammates went 11-28
5th game - our two teammates left after 5 mins but still managed to go 11-20

No fault to those players, they were a much lower level than the competition (except for the dickholes that left in the last game, yay, so much fun playing a match 2-on-4)...

But is matchmaking TRUE matchmaking? Because last night, it sure as hell didn't feel like it....

I have no idea, but the matchmaking has been lacking since after Christmas it seems. I use "Focused" matchmaking but still getting matched with people who it appears are on their 5th game of H5 ever. I am Platinum 2 in Slayer and Team Arena after grinding for awhile. But matchmaking makes me dip to Gold 5 or 4, then I have to grind again.

I don't blame the players, they are getting thrown in a shark tank as bait.

Yeah I admittedly rage quitted last night for the first time in a looong time. Feels like the players I'm matched with are 5 year olds while the enemy's are H5 gods.

Using balanced MM.

heytred

Neo Member
Happy Birthday Tashi

Wait - Tashi has the same birthday as my dog.

Tahir, you know that makes you a legend right?

Yeah I admittedly rage quitted last night for the first time in a looong time. Feels like the players I'm matched with are 5 year olds while the enemy's are H5 gods.

Using balanced MM.

So, I'm not saying this 100% the case with Halo 5 (prefacing with that given my background), but - other games that use a similar MMR system use matchmaking measures to account for player availability, network connection, etc. It's possible, and in my opinion likely, that you're finding matches like that because of a low availability of players in your skill range with decent connection. You're probably matching teams comprised of players with a lower average MMR than yourself, but slightly to moderately higher than that of your teammates. When the system is matchmaking it's likely 'concluding' that the overall team MMR/average MMR is within an acceptable range given player availability, connectivity, and queue timeout values.

Let's face it - I'm not being negative, but I doubt Halo 5's daily/concurrent population is in a state where the matchmaking system can be picky about consistently curating competitive matches while maintaining acceptable queue times.

So, I'm not saying this 100% the case with Halo 5 (prefacing with that given my background), but - other games that use a similar MMR system use matchmaking measures to account for player availability, network connection, etc. It's possible, and in my opinion likely, that you're finding matches like that because of a low availability of players in your skill range with decent connection. You're probably matching teams comprised of players with a lower average MMR than yourself, but slightly to moderately higher than that of your teammates. When the system is matchmaking it's likely 'concluding' that the overall team MMR/average MMR is within an acceptable range given player availability, connectivity, and queue timeout values.

Let's face it - I'm not being negative, but I doubt Halo 5's daily/concurrent population is in a state where the matchmaking system can be picky about consistently curating competitive matches while maintaining acceptable queue times.

Team mismatches and no party matching/solo queue has been a problem since launch. Population numbers and the latest patch essentially breaking the game so you're likely to just not load into a match (leading to more mismatches and JIP issues) has only made it worse.

heytred

Neo Member
Team mismatches and no party matching/solo queue has been a problem since launch. Population numbers and the latest patch essentially breaking the game so you're likely to just not load into a match (leading to more mismatches and JIP issues) has only made it worse.

You're right, but MMR works better with data - simply put, that's the systems strength. With that in mind, it's simply a given that it optimizes over time. Look at League of Legends for example - they don't have population issues, but rather experience skill and ranking discrepancies. For balance, Riot Games intentionally places players lower than the system thinks they should be after placements because MMR is simply more accurate over time. They've built their system so that ideally, a player reaches their "true" rank after ~100 games played per season (barring player improvement over that time, etc.) because that's generally the point in which the ranking and matchmaking system has enough data to accurately rank and thus serve matches. My inclination is that the system in Halo 5 needed refinement at first (and it has been refined - I feel the overall system has gotten some much needed improvements), but now the MMR system's consistency is somewhat compromised by sub-optimal matching conditions.

Now, I'm not saying, "Halo's dead, no population, etc."... I'm just echoing the match quality complaints I see and basically saying, "Yeah, given the system and the values it's being fed... yeah, it makes sense you'd experience that."

Went on my weekly comic run and got Tales From Slipspace. was pretty good, I just wish I knew where the lore was going, cause right now it just seems aimless. (Kilo-5 spoilers):
'Telcam is killed by an unknown Spartan
, a sad story about a ship that has their AI abandoning them when Cortana calls, Cortana meeting Warden for the first time (
she gave him that name? What was his name before?
), a quick check in with Fireteam Majestic (remember them? the games sure don't). It's just odd.

The really big one was how they resolved the cliffhanger from the cancelled comic series (
the Flood spore still on the Spirit of Fire
). It really kind of amounted to nothing. Very odd...

Changes I'd like for the H5 Pistol:
  • 4sk
  • 2x zoom like the Tac Mag

"But then why would I switch it for a 4sk BR or 5sk DMR?"
  • Greater Red Reticle Range on BR/DMR
  • Longer scope range on DMR
  • More aim assist on BR/DMR, so easier to use

I've said this in the past, but how easy it is to escape encounters in H5 is what I can see many people taking issue with, whether they're conscious of it like Fahz or just stop playing H5 entirely because "enemies don't die." Having a weapon like the CE Pistol is great for this reason, although 4v4's with a hitscan 3sk weapon would take a hit in quality imo as less weapons would be used. However, a 4sk H5 Pistol with a 2x zoom could be a decent middle ground to work with.

With strong starting weapons, power weapons (or in H5's case, any weapon pick-up) are less problematic. Take CE maps, like Chill Out for example: every power weapon and power-up is on that map, yet it's not a problem because the game is balanced around strong starting weapons. Improving the Pistol might cull some of the complaints over power weapon abundance while giving players a better chance off spawn to fight BR's/DMR's than they currently have, and it could lessen the frustration of enemies running from encounters.

Halo is at its best when: "Two men enter. The better man leaves. The lesser man is respawning. And that's Halo."
H5 is currently: "Two men enter. One man thrusts/sprints to safety. The other man chooses to let them get away unless they want to risk chasing with radar. And that's Halo."

I'm being slightly facetious there since that's essentially true of any competitive game (I mean, it was said with Reach and that game had AA's like Regen, AL, etc. lol), however I'm sure it's how some people are feeling over H5's movement system + radar.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Changes I'd like for the H5 Pistol:
  • 4sk
  • 2x zoom like the Tac Mag

"But then why would I switch it for a 4sk BR or 5sk DMR?"
  • Greater Red Reticle Range on BR/DMR
  • Longer scope range on DMR
  • More aim assist on BR/DMR, so easier to use

I've said this in the past, but how easy it is to escape encounters in H5 is what I can see many people taking issue with, whether they're conscious of it like Fahz or just stop playing H5 entirely because "enemies don't die." Having a weapon like the CE Pistol is great for this reason, although 4v4's with a hitscan 3sk weapon would take a hit in quality imo as less weapons would be used. However, a 4sk H5 Pistol with a 2x zoom could be a decent middle ground to work with.

With strong starting weapons, power weapons (or in H5's case, any weapon pick-up) are less problematic. Take CE maps, like Chill Out for example: every power weapon and power-up is on that map, yet it's not a problem because the game is balanced around strong starting weapons. Improving the Pistol might cull some of the complaints over power weapon abundance while giving players a better chance off spawn to fight BR's/DMR's than they currently have, and it could lessen the frustration of enemies running from encounters.

Halo is at its best when: "Two men enter. The better man leaves. The lesser man is respawning. And that's Halo."
H5 is currently: "Two men enter. One man thrusts/sprints to safety. The other man chooses to let them get away unless they want to risk chasing with radar. And that's Halo."

I'm being slightly facetious there since that's essentially true of any competitive game (I mean, it was said with Reach and that game had AA's like Regen, AL, etc. lol), however I'm sure it's how some people are feeling over H5's movement system + radar.

I agree that the pistol should have advantages over tbe rifles and while a 4sk pistol would help, damage would probably have to be adjusted everywhere as well. In other words, i think halo 5s pistol would probably be over powered with a kill in 4 shots.

Trup1aya

People are calling for a 4sk pistol with 2x zoom, but that still doesn't some the problem of the BR being a straight up upgrade.

The pistol should be harder to use, but it should have a lower minimum kill time than the BR to compensate.

I think they should give it 2x zoom, but up the ROF so that it matches the Light Rifles min kill time.

I agree that the pistol should have advantages over tbe rifles and while a 4sk pistol would help, damage would probably have to be adjusted everywhere as well. In other words, i think halo 5s pistol would probably be over powered with a kill in 4 shots.
With its current rate of fire I think it could be alright.
People are calling for a 4sk pistol with 2x zoom, but that still doesn't some the problem of the BR being a straight up upgrade.
Isn't that the point of a pickup though? Plus, the BR does provide some trade-off with the 2x zoom + burst limiting its range.
The pistol should be harder to use, but it should have a lower minimum kill time than the BR to compensate.
4sk with less aim assist could be nice, but it's already not so easy to use against competent players thrusting/sprinting.
I think they should give it 2x zoom, but up the ROF so that it matches the Light Rifles min kill time.
It'd be a good thing to test with that Mystical Beta Playlist™ we've heard about.

Juan

This.

Actually, I am that type of player who dislike Halo 5 due to the enhanced player movements and the lack of AIM assist on precision starting weapon, aka Magnum.

With the lack of AIM assist and the fact that player can use a variety of movement to run away (I count crouch-strafing in it), the kill time on this game is sometime way above what we have been used with Halo. On top of that, it gets even more frustrating to kill your opponent. Even when you're winning a duel, you're under so much stress due to your last duel that you can't fully enjoy what you just did.

Add on top of that the fact other players can engage you within a few seconds since they can move very fast across the map and you don't even ave time for a quick break, you're constantly under pressure.

With the Anniversary playlist and the CE Pistol, the Halo 5 movements weren't a problem since you could easily kill someone without the having time to escape and a lot of player were less running across the map since they knew they could get kill within a second if they moved in a wrong place.

With that playlist, I could appreciate once again the pacing older Halo games had, and it was a blast. Such a crime that playlist had to go...

Now, I don't think the Halo CE would be the right answer to Halo 5 (even if it was for me the only place I truly enjoyed playing this game) because it would make any other starting weapon obsolete, but yeah, if 343 want to keep their Magnum as the starting weapon, they should improve it (maybe 4sk or higher aim assist, idk), or give us BR start? Even if BR is a bit too precise in its current state. :/

How about we move the fov to 100 or something like that first.

Can't stop thinking Halo with a greater FOV wouldn't help as the player would be overwhelmed with too much information and visual noise (as Halo isn't a game where you can react and kill as fast as CoD for example).

Top Bottom